PDA

View Full Version : What Does Your PT Name Mean?

mahayana
11-08-2003, 05:17 PM
And why did you choose it?

I'm pretty new here, and I've just been wondering! Some of the names are self-explanatory, but many are very unique and mysterious!

So, if you feel like sharing, I would like to know how you decided on this. The name I chose has lots of personal meaning; for a hint it literally means "big boat".......

G.P.girl
11-08-2003, 05:33 PM
G.P. means Guinea pig. because i had two guinea pigs but i had to give them away.:(

Kfamr
11-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Mine was because I lost my other passwords when I was having computer troubles.

K = Kay (my name)
Fam = Family
R = Room

Sooo.. Kay [in] family room.

Because I was on my fmaily room computer when I made it.

Twisterdog
11-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Twister is the name of a little former foster/rescue dog of mine.

Aspen and Misty
11-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Aspen was my Teddy Bear hamster (RB) who was MEAN, he ALWAYS bite me. :rolleyes: and Misty is my cat who was mean but is now sooo sweet. They were also the only animals who were mine when I first made my S/N.

Ashley

binka_nugget
11-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Binka and Nugget are the names of Daniel Radcliffe's two border collies. I was a major Harry Potter fan at the time.

mahayana
11-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Wow! My eyes are opening, thanks for clarifying!
Binka- are border collies and shelties the same breed? I love them!

slick
11-08-2003, 06:29 PM
My name is Vickie and about 8 yrs ago a co-worker calle me Slick Vick and I guess the name Slick just stuck. I use it for everything.

Toby's my baby
11-08-2003, 06:37 PM
My name is the name of our former Springer Spanial named Toby. We had to give him back to his former owners because my dad didnt like him!!!:mad: :(

binka_nugget
11-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
Wow! My eyes are opening, thanks for clarifying!
Binka- are border collies and shelties the same breed? I love them!

Nope, they're different breeds but are similar to a certain degree. Both are highly intelligent herding breeds. :)

dukedogsmom
11-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, mine is pretty self explanatory :) I used to have an email address with that name but it was hacked into :(

CatDad
11-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Mine is fairly plain. I have cats, I am there dad.:rolleyes:

Not much more to be said. I was actually very suprised no one had taken it. I was also really glad.:)

I really like hearing about the other names. It is very interesting. Thanks. :D

PayItForward
11-08-2003, 07:26 PM
I choose this log in name to reflect my favorite film and to remind me to try to be a good person. (I said try ;) )

Shelteez2
11-08-2003, 07:27 PM
My name is also pretty self explanatory.
I have two shelties, hence...Shelteez2 :)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Mine is pretty self explanatory.
I love Golden Retrievers, hence the name GoldenRetrLuver. :)

tomkatzid
11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
the Daddy is Tom
the Mommy is Katz
id is for identification

veegan
11-08-2003, 09:31 PM
WOW! what a GREAT idea for a thread mahayana! (mahayana means big boat?? what the.. why is that? I thought it was a type of Buddhism??) This is so much fun hearing everyone's answers! :D well I think mine is pretty obvious.. I am vegan, so yeah. I added the extra e because I use it as a username in other places online and a lot of times "vegan" is already taken, so the name "veegan" has kind of become an alias for me. I also like the second e cause vegan is pronounced "VEE-gan" and a lot of people pronounce it wrong. not that it really matters though. lol

veegan
11-08-2003, 09:41 PM
ah, says here that it means "great vehicle" (same diff, eh?):

Main Entry: Ma·ha·ya·na
Pronunciation: "mä-h&-'yä-n&
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit mahAyAna, literally, great vehicle
Date: 1855
: a liberal and theistic branch of Buddhism comprising sects chiefly in China and Japan, recognizing a large body of scripture in addition to the Pali canon, and teaching social concern and universal salvation -- compare THERAVADA

Im probably getting way off topic here so you can PM me if you want, but Im curious now.. do you know why its called that? Ive been interested in Buddhism for quite a while now, pretty much since I became vegan.. but I dont know much about it. Ive been agnostic/atheist for a while, but it seems the more I learn about Buddhism the more sense it makes to me. I was just discussing this with RubyMutt the other day, in fact! lol

11-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I didn't know when I named my little daughter LaKesha Anathiona, that Anathiona was a russian name. I found it in a baby book, a name very similar and it was russian, but it was after the name was there for awhile already. I wouldn't change it, it is a beautiful name and she is a beautiful little girl, so that is where I got my anathiona for my pet talk name. The "petoftheday" business was an accident. I figured it was going to be that way for everyone, but I was wrong! Now I don't know how to change that part and leave it just anathiona.:)

catcrazylady
11-08-2003, 09:43 PM
*sigh* there is nothing witty or mysterious about my name.
It has been interesting to see how some of these names have been created.

Moose
11-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Mine is pretty easily explained.......Moose is my dog's name. lol. I had something else in mind [I can't remember what it was] but it was already taken. :p

petlover
11-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Mine is pretty obvious. My name means that I love pets.:D I also love all animals. Wild or tame. Pet or enemy. I love them all.

Karen
11-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Mine is one of the obvious ones - it's my given name, had it since I was born! When you're the very first user to register, you can choose anything you want, so I am Karen, I am I am!

trayi52
11-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey "Big Boat" :D , heh, heh, heh, can't remember that name of yours.;) :p . Anyway I have no idea how I come up with my user name, have used it for years on the internet, trayi and then 52 for the year I was born. Seems like when I started out and it was going to be tray, but the name was taken! So I just added the i and so I have been trayi52. All over from yahoo to hotmail that is me, except one in hotmail is named for my trashcan kitty, Grover. What it means, I have no idea. My real name is Willie, which I don't like because it is a boys name, but really I don't mind being called Willie.

Willie

mahayana
11-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Again, wow! Thanks everyone for sharing! If you know someone with one of the more unusual names, please ask them ,too!

Veegan, thanks for asking about mahayana.

The long and short of it is that buddhists seek enlightenment to be worthy of heaven. One central tenet of the mahayanas is that no one will achieve nirvana until all the humans on earth achieve enlightenment.

Thus the enlightened ones remain earthbound helping everyone else attain enlightenment. They serve until all can go to heaven in the "big boat."

"I will strive to become enlightened, for the sake of all living creatures."

veegan
11-08-2003, 11:38 PM
oh I see, that makes sense. thanks for the bit of education :)

wolf_Q
11-08-2003, 11:43 PM
I love wolves and my last name starts with a Q....:)

Corinna
11-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Mine is just my name at the time I was having quite a time keeping my diabetes under control and couldn't remeber things well .( that happens when levels are too high for too long. ) So I needed some thing easy to remember.

ChrisH
11-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Mine is simple, my name, Chris, (short for Christine) and H, the first letter of my surname. :D

bluekat
11-09-2003, 09:34 AM
I wish that I've chosen a different and more interesting name now:(
But mine's ok I guess. It means that my favorite color is blue, and I like cats. I just thought spelling cat with a K would be more cool. lol
also, Blueberry, my cat, is a Blue point Himmy, so there's a lot of "blue"s in there:p

primabella
11-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I originally wanted to register as 'bella' (on another board) but it was taken. I decided I wanted to be the FIRST bella (prima in Italian) and voila. ;) I just used the same name over here and have been using the same one everywhere. I lack originality, I do. :p

CamCamPup33
11-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Mine isnt that unusual or anything..

CamCam is camis nickname and she was a puppy at the time so CamCamPup.. :)

green_chameleon_girl
11-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Mine I think its was like my favorite colour is green I love chameleons and im a girl:p either that or chameleons are green chameleons are my favorite animal and I want a femal chameleon LOL I confuse my self.;) :)

ParNone
11-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Mine came about as a combo of my love of golf and my love
of the TV show, Xena. For the advertisments for Xena, they
use to have the tag line, "Battle On, Xena!". So I combined
golf with that to get "Par On", but I really sucketh at golf, so
figured "Par None" was more apropos.

Since I'm a bit of a procrastinator too, I also use "PARcrastinator"
on some other message boards I frequent.

Par I Are...

isis
11-09-2003, 12:55 PM
isis is my kitty's name. :D I just wanted a short name, so isis is a good one.:p

RubyMutt
11-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Since this is a pet site I thought my name should reflect my pet ;)

Ruby is my dog and she is a beautiful Mutt, ergo my name became RubyMutt.

Amber
11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Amber is my name and Amber means, Precious jewel :)

Kendra
11-09-2003, 02:59 PM
For a while, I was keeping a list of names that I liked. I kept the list just in case I ever decided to stop lurking and register! :D Needless to say, I have finally registered and settled on Kendra. :)

Here are the rest of the names that I liked:
Ceci
Kersti
Freedom Ring
Sasha
J.P. (my dog’s initials)
Avery
Cholette’
Celeste
Marie
Shay
Keely
Starlight

mugsy
11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
I orginally registered under Kendall2 and that's my last name and there are 2 humans in my house (me and my husband).

mugsy is a nickname that a good friend of mine gave me in high school and I use it for everything now.

Other places I'm mugsy1961 because mugsy was taken and 1961 is the year I was born.

There's a long explanation of a short name.

carole
11-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Mine is my given name., I do go by Jewellnz on yahoo mess though. :)

lovemyshiba
11-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Mine is obvious, I suppose, I love my shiba!!!!!

When I first registered, I only had Kito, so now I feel a little guilty, and maybe my name should be lovemyshibabeaglelabrottie--that might be overkill, though:D

Kater
11-09-2003, 07:25 PM
My full name is Katharine but I go by Kate and Kater (well... I have other nicknames too :o).

Kater was something my Dad thought up and I was always really embarassed when he would introduce me to people as Kater. I've outgrown the embarassment phase and I just consider it a really endearing name that friends and family call me.

anna_66
11-09-2003, 08:59 PM
My first name is Anna & I was born in 66:)

Dogz
11-09-2003, 09:10 PM
*sigh* Mine doesn't really have a meaning.:o I had been lurking for a while, and when I decided to join I couldn't think of anything. I had dogs at the time (and a horse) but I just thought Dogz...:rolleyes: :o

jenfer
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
mine is just the abbreviation of my name... it's also my nick name. haha... :)

Moesha
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
When my friends and I first got the internet, we used to use IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and had to have nicks. --Oh the days of 2400 Baud modems!-- My first one was Claire because that had been my name when I was in French class. I decided that I wanted something with more "personality". My friend picked Moesha for me. Brandy's show was on then. I've used it ever since. Everyone that I've ever met in real life that I had first met online calls me Moe.

Alysser
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
My former username was Maltese_love, but after Sassy died I didn't want the reminder in every post right in front of my face.

Alyssa is my name, but Alysser is a bit unusual. I always made fun of my parents brooklyn accents as they would say something that ends with an -ER and make it end with an A and vice versa. For example my brothers name, instead of peter, they would say peta. :D They have never actually called me Alysser but that's where it sprouted from. Some of my friends started calling me that, and so I just stuck with it. :p

chocolatepuppy
11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
chocolatepuppy came from my beloved RB chocolate puppy Mandy. She is the pup in my avatar.

Zippy
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Zippy is my kitty's name
I know it's very creative

Suki Wingy
11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I've never wanted to change my name, like most little kids do, except for when I was about 3 I nicknamed myself Suki Wingy, after the Little Golden Book The Saggy Baggy Elephant, who was called Sookie.
http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780307021106&height=300&maxwidth=170

molucass
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
When I created my username years ago, my mom had Molly, I had a cat named Lucy, and a foster pup named Cassie.

It's the first letters in their names.. Mol = Molly, Luc = Lucy, Cass = Cassie.
MoLuCass. That's how I first started to write it when I came up with it..
My mom still had Molly, and I still had Lucy when I joined here, but Cassie was adopted out..
I like this username, so I just keep it every where.

sparks19
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Sparks19 well my nickname was always sparky due to my last name. Then it kind of morphed into sparks or sparkles. and I think I was 19 when I made the email address using that name... so sparks 19 lol

Taz_Zoee
11-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Mine is obvious. At the time I only had Taz and Zoee and since I had Taz first I put his name first. I put the underscore to separate them.
(Ok, you can wake up now, I'm done boring you now:p)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-03-2008, 03:32 AM
I chose my name 4 years ago; I had 2 cats then: Maya & Inka :)
So....... tada: Maya & Inka's Mommy

shepgirl
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Mine is pretty self explanatory - I have always loved shepherds, but also for one of my best friends that I lost , she used the same name.

ramanth
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Ramanth was the name of my imaginary dragon friend (thanks to my infatuation with the Pern novels :o) as a child. Still obsessed with dragons, which is why I ended up with crested geckos in the first place.

In 1997, I used it as my first internet handle and it's stuck ever since.

Currently, I use 'ramanth' for anything pet/animal related and 'cutest sandgirl' for anything costume/prop related.

I even had my license plate specialized.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_5528.jpg

:D

DJFyrewolf36
11-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Crud I thought I had posted in this one long ago lol...well since I haven't:

DJ = cuzz I'm a DJ :D
Fyrewolf = Online nickname/IRL nickname for years. I used it as a tabletop RPG character name for a long time too. A lot of my online names are either DJFyrewolf36 or FyrewolfSeahawk or just Fyrewolf if the name hasn't been taken already. I've found very few places that Fyrewolf has been taken though ;) (other than by me lol)
36 = my softball jersey number (I really liked softball!)

I used DJFyrewolf36 on here because I thought at the time Fyrewolf might be taken and I hadn't started using FyrewolfSeahawk yet. (that came about after Seattle "lost" the super bowl in 05)

davidpizzica
11-04-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm so creative with my username! David is my first name and "P" is the first letter of my last name.

Whisk_Luva
11-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Whisk is my RB hammies name... he was pet of the day when I signed up..... and Luva because I love him (obviously lol).... dont know why I spelt it like that..... probably to make it a tiny bit shorter

pomtzu
11-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Mine is pretty much a "no-brainer". I have 2 dogs - a POMeranian and a ShihTZU - which equals "Pomtzu".

Donnaj4962
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Mine is not original at all..... donna is my first name, "j" is the first initial of my middle name and 4962 is my birthdate (April 9, 1962)

Nothing too exciting! I love learning how imaginative everyone was when creating their names!

M&M's Mommy
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Mine is no longer correct..

Now it should be M&M&M&M's Mommy :D

MoonandBean
11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
No surprise here...MoonandBean, my cats. Although I should change it to MoonandBeanhateSunny....lol!

MoonandBean
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Mine is one of the obvious ones - it's my given name, had it since I was born! When you're the very first user to register, you can choose anything you want, so I am Karen, I am I am!

Funny last line! That reminds me of my first cousin who works for AOL. Her screen name is her first name @aol.com No numbers or anything. It is funny to see as there are probably now 50,000 variations of that [email protected]

Flatcoatluver
11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I :love: Flat-coats. ;) But now I have a new breed I love, shelties...

k9krazee
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I is krazeeeeee for k9s. Or Crazy for Canines. Pretty self-explanatory. :p

slleipnir
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Sleipnir is an 8 legged horse who belonged to Odin of norse mythology.

Queen of Poop
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I am the Queen of Poop in our household. I am the only one who will pick up the poop from our various pets.

mustlovedogs
11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
mustlovedogs-

Pretty self-explanatory.

:D

Lillycat
11-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Lilly is my name and i have cats......5 at the moment.....

sirrahbed
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
My PT name is my real name only spelled backwards :)

jennielynn1970
11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Mine is pretty self explanatory as well. My name is Jenn (Jennie) and I'm a librarian. I can never come up with cute and witty names, lol.

When I lived in Bethlehem, my screen name on AIM was StarrofBethlehem. That was kinda cute, lol.

CountryWolf07
11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
CountryWolf07 is my screenname..

"Country" because I love country music, and the outdoors.. country is where I'd rather be than in the city.

"Wolf" because it is my favorite animal

"07", because 7 is my "lucky" number and my favorite. Also I had "07" there since it was supposed to be my graduation date from Ohio State, but instead I am graduating in March of 09'..