PDA

View Full Version : One year ago......

lovemyshiba
11-08-2003, 07:23 AM
On November 8, 2002 we received a call from a man who runs the beagle rescue here. My husband got the call and was on the phone with him when I got home from work. He said he had gotten our name and number from PAWS, and he thought he had the perfect dog for us. My husband asked if we could come and see her that night, and he said of course, come around 7.
We got the directions to his place, and headed out. Not knowing our way around the small town he lived in, we weren't sure if we were at the right place when we pulled into the driveway. He had said he currently had 15 beagles, and we didn't hear any barking or anything--surely we must be at the wrong house!!

We pulled in and got out of the car, and all of a sudden we saw at least 10 noses peering over the gate--what a sight!! We knew we were at the right place. We went in and introduced ourselves, and immediately went downstairs to see the dogs. I knew her right away. She was wearing a yellow collar, and playing with all of the dogs, relentlessly. He said her name was Abbey, and they had just transported her here from Ohio earlier in the week. He said they there were 3 of them, possibly littermates, named A, B, and C--he dignified them with names.

She came to me right away, and the kisses started. I knew she was ours. We talked a bit, and signed a few papers, and asked if we could take her for a trial run, to make sure she and Kito got along. He said yes, and we figured we would come and get her the next day--he wanted us to take her right away, and I really wanted to, so off we went. She laid in my lap for the trip home, and we got there and introduced Kito to her outside.

Things didn't go smoothly that first night. Kito wasn't thrilled with his new roommate, and she was scared, as was I. We kept them separate for that first night, not wanting to have a fight or anything.

The next morning, I headed out to buy a muzzle. I put it on Kito, so he could smell her and everything without biting her, and that went ok. I was determined to make it work, because I had already fallen in love with her, and those big, beautiful brown eyes. It did. I took the muzzle off, and gave them a rope toy and they started tugging and playing as if they had been best friends forever. I was so happy!!!!!!!

They remained inseparable after that--eating together, sleeping together, playing together, walking together--what a beautiful thing it is to see 2 dogs make friends.

I can't believe it was a year ago that we first laid eyes on our Abbey girl. The unconditional love she shows is amazing--never ever faltering. Kisses every day and night, and always wanting to be with me. Well behaved, beautiful, playful and healthy--what more could we ask for??

I love you Abbey, and look forward to many happy years with you in my life!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-08-2003, 08:50 AM
What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl! Happy Gotcha day. Abbey!

primabella
11-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Abbey! I am sure your mommy is gonna spoil you today!! :D

Emily, she sounds like a great girl. I'm so happy you guys found eachother. :)

KYS
11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Happy one year "Gotcha day". Abbey! :)

Aspen and Misty
11-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Awww! Abbey you could not ask for a better home. The bond between you and your mom was clearly shown when we came up to see you. You are certainly one lucky dog.

Ash

Cincy'sMom
11-08-2003, 11:09 AM
What a wonderful tribute to Abbey!! Hard to believe how quickly your family has grown!!!

And November is a great time to add a new pup...we added Cincy as our 2nd, on November 11, 2001 :)

Happy gothca day Abbey!!!

anna_66
11-08-2003, 01:50 PM
How wonderful Emily:D I still can't believe you have 4 dogs now;)

tikeyas_mom
11-08-2003, 02:05 PM
wow that was soo sweet!! I love abby she is such a good girl , she is lucky to have found you guys!!

clara4457
11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
What a wonderful story!!! Happy Gotcha Day Abbey!!! Many many more!

captain
11-09-2003, 03:38 PM
What a great tribute to a lovely lady!!!

Happy Gotcha Day Abbey:D

tatsxxx11
11-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Happy Gotcha Day, sweet Abbey girl!:) What a beautiful and touching tribute to her special girl your Mommy has written. How very loved you are:) Your family was so lucky to have found you and you were so lucky to have joined such a happy and loving furever home, ready made with furry sibliings! :D We love you Abbey girl! Happy Anniversary!! Love Sandra, Cody and Star!:)

Karen
11-09-2003, 05:15 PM
What a nice tribute/reminicence all in one! Those Beagle eyes getcha every time, don't they! Happy Homecoming, Abbey - you chose wisely!

RobiLee
11-09-2003, 08:17 PM
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, ABBEY

I'm so glad you found your forever home!!

Robin :)

My Peanuts
11-10-2003, 02:29 PM
What a nice story. I'm glad you found your forever home Abbey girl :)

Kater
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
HAP HAP HAPPY *GOTCHA* DAY, MISS ABBEY!

Emily, thanks for having us join you on your trip down memory lane. Abbey is so lucky to be in your home! I wish her and the rest of the "pack" many more happy years together! :D :D :D

shais_mom
11-10-2003, 10:35 PM
What a wonderful tribute for Abbey's gotcha day! :)
And how AWESOME is it that a year and one day ago you had one dog, now you have 4!!!
:) Big hugs to you and your fur family!