PDA

View Full Version : Pet vegetarianism

G.P.girl
11-07-2003, 11:23 PM
What do you think about people who feed thier carnivorus pets on a strictly vegan diet? there was this one lady on animal planet who only fed her cats rice and potatoes because she was a vegetarian.i don't know if it's heathly for dog sand cats not to eat meat? is it?

Kater
11-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Rice and potatoes is not a balanced diet for a cat. That's for sure!

Vegan dog and cat food --- I'm not sure about them. I don't think we really know all that much about dog and cat nutrition. I do think it's safer for doggies to be vegan since they are omnivores. I have heard of healthy vegan kitties but that does not mean it would be right for every cat.

It would help the matter if animal nutrition was more stressed in the veterinary schools!!!

binka_nugget
11-08-2003, 01:27 AM
I voted for "I couldn't care less". I've heard of a few people successfully feeding their dogs a vegetarian diet. With the right foods and supplements, I guess it could work but that's ALOT of work and research.

CatDad
11-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Kater
Rice and potatoes is not a balanced diet for a cat. That's for sure!

Vegan dog and cat food --- I'm not sure about them. I don't think we really know all that much about dog and cat nutrition. I do think it's safer for doggies to be vegan since they are omnivores. I have heard of healthy vegan kitties but that does not mean it would be right for every cat.

It would help the matter if animal nutrition was more stressed in the veterinary schools!!!
I voted no, it's bad for the pets. I would have been more comfortable with no, it's not a proven diet for the pets.

However, I agree with Kater. For a kittiy I am pretty sure that it is not heathy, but then again I don't know that for sure. I will stick to convention wisdom at this point. For a puppy it may be fine, but once again we do not know for sure.

wolf_Q
11-08-2003, 02:00 AM
We've had this discussion before.

Tonya
11-08-2003, 08:40 AM
God made this world to go around. If we all stop eating animals, boy are we going to be over populated. Cats and dogs have sharp teeth for a reason. They are meant to eat meat. That is what is healthy for them.

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 08:38 PM
I voted no, but it's their choice. We can't exactly force someone to change their mind I suppose.

Plant and other sources of protien can be hard for dogs/cats to digest. They need the animal protien. If you don't want to support the meat industry by buying pet food, then don't have a pet. I mean, I think it's ridiculous to not let your pet have the benefit because of what YOU, and not YOUR PET, believe in. Anyone agree with me?

BTW, cats and dogs do need some vegetables and such in their diet.

gkristian
11-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
God made this world to go around. If we all stop eating animals, boy are we going to be over populated. Cats and dogs have sharp teeth for a reason. They are meant to eat meat. That is what is healthy for them.
I agree

G.P.girl
11-10-2003, 12:30 PM
it's ok for humans to be vegetarians because they were ment to eat plants and meat so they can live off only plants. but dogs and cats are only meannt to eat meat. so plants aren't very good for them,

Kater
11-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Dogs are omnivores.
Cats are carnivores.
So that means that like us dogs are "made" to eat veggies and meat. And like us some dogs can thrive on a vegan diet.

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
it's ok for humans to be vegetarians because they were ment to eat plants and meat so they can live off only plants. but dogs and cats are only meannt to eat meat. so plants aren't very good for them,
Actually dogs are omnivores. Or primary carnivores (eats both, but more meat than other). Even cats need to eat vegetables and such. I hate to compare domesticated animals with their ancestors because of how much they have changed, but when you think about it, their ancestors all ate veggies too.

And like us some dogs can thrive on a vegan diet.
Yes, but people aren't "made" to eat the considerable amount of meat that a dog does. Some people eat only a small portion of meat every few days, and are healthy. But a dog's diet needs to have a large portion of meat everyday that is largest in proportion to what other parts the meal consists of.

Kfamr
11-10-2003, 02:03 PM
I remember that lady, and i was going to mention her when i first read the title of this thread.

I was DISGUSTED by her and how she fed her cats, and i'd never feed my animals like that.

She was sickly, her household looked sickly and so did her dog and cats.

NASTY. That episode made me so disgusted. She needs as much help as the cats did.

Kater
11-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Yes, but people aren't "made" to eat the considerable amount of meat that a dog does. Some people eat only a small portion of meat every few days, and are healthy. But a dog's diet needs to have a large portion of meat everyday that is largest in proportion to what other parts the meal consists of.

In my opinion a dog's dietary needs are not defined by specific foodstuffs (i.e. animal products) but by sufficient amounts and proportions of a variety of nutrients. Meat protein and vegetable protein can both be very digestible and ultimately provide the same nutrients. However, in some dogs, there can be allergies or intolerances to certain ingredients, for example soy. If a dog has a lot of food allergies that can restrict the vegetable proteins that may be fed to a particular dog. In this case this dog cannot then thrive on a vegetarian diet because it has so few vegetarian sources for necessary nutrients. I hope that makes sense.

I realize that dogs have a higher protein requirement than humans. I am not aware of any necessary nutrient that is present in meat protein yet absent in vegetable protein. Amino acids are present in both types, of course.

I made a post a while back about “breed specific dog food.” It is the art of feeding using foodstuffs that were most likely in that specific breed’s natural environment. But I am quite wary of this word “natural.” The environment that dog’s live in today are far from their “natural environment” and I think we can agree that spaying and neutering, keeping dogs indoors and providing regular veterinary care are all positive things and an improvement on their past in the “wild.” This is why I am not completely disregarding the possibility that a change to a vegan diet would be another progressive step in creating a better environment for our furry friends. While a vegan diet is obviously kinder to the species which are killed for meat, I think it also could have very direct health benefits for the dogs eating it. A vegan diet reduces the risks of cancer, strokes and heart attacks in humans and I don’t see why that would not be the same for dogs also.

Interesting fact...
Some of you may be aware that the Chinese Chow Chow was bred originally as a food source for people in China. I have read, now in more than one source, that Chow Chow’s were fed grains to result in more tender and fatty meat. (Yuck! :( I know. ) A purely grain diet is unlikely to be ideal or totally balanced so I am by no means endorsing this. However, it is very interesting to note that the Chow Chow has significantly flatter teeth and a different jaw structure when compared to other originally more carnivorous breeds.

I think whatever opinions are expressed here are just that, opinions. Some of us may have done extensive reading on this subject but I think it is safe to say that none of us are experts on this topic---- myself included!

veegan
11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
yeah we discussed this already.. as well as that episode on animal plaent. that was extremely unhelathy, she had no idea what she was doing. that is not an example of a healthy vegetarian diet for dogs/cats.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24485&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

veegan
11-10-2003, 03:18 PM
oh yeah, and the world's oldest living dog is vegan!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_659722.html?menu=news.quirkies

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Kater, I agree that it isn't very bad if you take the time to balance out the incomplete protiens properly. And some dogs may be able to digest it well, but the majority of them don't tolerate it. It's one of the reasons that corn is frowned upon in dog food. Not just the allergies, but because dogs can't extract all of the protien from it, therefore not getting as much protien as they might need to be getting.

However, atleast making sure that your pet is getting somewhat enough protien and nutrients is alot better than the example of the lady with her cats. That is just discusting. :eek:

Thanks for the info on the chow chow, that was very interesting. :)