PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have experienced depression in your life?

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:31 PM
I've noticed depression has came up quite a few times at PT. I am just curious of how many people have experienced problems with depression. If you have, what (if any) medications have you been treated with? I understand if you don't feel comfortable responding to this poll, I know this is a fairly personal subject.

Aside from my mother, I really don't know anyone else who has depression. I'd like to know what all is out there to help with it. I have had problems with it most of my life.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I haven't been depressed latley, which is good. But I was going through some severe depression when two of my close friends past away. One died from CF and one from a heart problem. I seriously thought of ending my life then, but I couldn't because I have 2 dogs who need me. :)

slick
11-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I have, but with all due respect Tonya, I don't feel comfortable enough to talk about it on this forum for the whole world to see. If you wish to correspond by email, please feel free to PM me.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:44 PM
I totally understand, Slick. It isn't something that I normally talk about. In fact my own parents and almost all of my friends do not know that I deal with depression. I just noticed that more people (then I am used to) have been comfortable enough to mention it on here. Which made me feel (a little) comfortable with bringing it up. I feel a bit embarrassed and wierd talking about it too, but I really want to know more about it.

CathyBogart
11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
I have in the past, when I was suffering from OCD and a bad relationship. Brian and I have worked together to get rid of the OCD and most of the depression.

I've only ever taken herbal mood stabilizers, and I've had bad luck with them so far...

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I'm glad to hear you got your OCD under control. My old roomate had that; it can be tough. I sometimes think that Jaden might wind up with it. He has some interesting habits. I guess time will tell.

mugsy
11-07-2003, 07:24 PM
I have it, but I feel like I'm on the way back. I can't remember the first med I took, but I took zoloft, effexor, and paxil, but paxil scared the snot out of me after talking to the nurse at the doctor's office. I quit taking it and since then I feel much better. I was beginning to think that the meds were making it WORSE! lol

TheAntiPam
11-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Clinical depression (the kind that goes beyond "I'm so depressed that Christina Aguilar colored her hair" :eek: ) is more common that most people know. Even some doctors don't take it seriously.

I took prozac for a number of years. For me, I needed the smallest dose made just once a day. A dear friend needed a much higher dose and took it two times a day. Everyone needs to be monitored by a doctor no matter what the drug or amount.

After a couple years of prozac, I tried going off the meds, but I just wasn't ready. I tried two more times, but each time the symptoms came back. Then, I was just ready. I can't say what changed, but it worked. :confused: :)

Being diagnosed and getting proper treatment turned my whole life around. It's brain chemistry, not a personality flaw. :D

G.P.girl
11-07-2003, 08:14 PM
the last few years i've gotten really depressed around november/december. i haven't told anybody although it got really bad last year. i can feel it coming back already, but maybe not as bad as last year, because i'm in a different imviorment where i don't feel like such a failure. but i guess i'll just have to wait and see how bad it gets.

binka_nugget
11-07-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm okay with talking about it now. I was never diagnosed or anything by anyone because I never went to get help. It got to the point where I almost took my own life. I decided not to because I have the best friends in the world who cared :). I still have my moments but I'm not nearly as bad as I was before.

Prairie Purrs
11-07-2003, 08:15 PM
I have dysthymia, which is a chronic mild depression. On several occasions I've dealt with major depression. During major depressions I've taken Elavil, Prozac, Effexor combined with trazodone, with probably the best results from the Effexor/trazodone combo. I've also tried talk therapy, but I've never found a therapist who did me the least amount of good (and one made matters worse).

I've had problems with depression for as long as I can remember, way back into childhood, but back in the 1960s no one thought that kids could be depressed. So I was in my 20s before I sought any treatment for it. Perhaps if mental illness hadn't been so stigmatized, my parents would have recognized what was going on and would have gotten me some help. That stigma hasn't entirely gone away, obviously, but I hope more parents are aware that children can suffer from depression and that more kids are getting treatment.

The most frustrating thing about dysthymia is a lack of energy and motivation. To combat it, I try to maintain a reasonably wide range of interests. And the very best medicine I've found is a purring cat on my lap. Fortunately, I have no shortage of purring cats around here. :D

Tonya
11-07-2003, 08:35 PM
I have never heard the term "dysthymia". I'll have to read on that. I don't know what I have exactly because I haven't went further then family doctors. In highschool, I was severly depressed. I took zoloft at the time. When Jaden was born, I was no longer depressed. I guess I felt like I had a reason to be happy. But I always got the "winter blues". Most winters I'd go back on Zoloft, but it always made me feel high. With Zoloft, there were times where I'd be subconsciously thinking "Gosh, I should be really upset right now over this..." The Zoloft wasn't allowing me to feel at all.

Just a few months ago, I realized that my depression was really becoming year-round and really affecting my life. I went on Prozac. For the first time ever, I feel really stable. I don't feel high like Zoloft made me feel, I just feel normal. -Like people should feel. But now, I have insomnia and I feel really sluggish during the day.

I know I should go back to the doctor, but I want to tell her what I'd like to try. -Not have her just randomly throw another pill at me. I'd prefer to decide for myself.

Talking to you all, helps me to know of my options. I would love to hear more about your side effects and whatnot. Thank you all very much for being so open. I know this isn't an easy subject. It is really helpful to know that I am not the only one with depression.

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 08:41 PM
I currently have problems. But it was much worse in the past. Now I have my good days and my bad days. It's hard. I was thinking of getting some medication...I know my doctor can keep it private...but I don't know. Maybe. It gets annoying when your friends ask you "Are you okay?" all the time. I want to scream.

Fox-Gal
11-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Years ago I had a problem with depression but mine was from a attack that happened to me, not from a clinical depression so meds where only a cover up for me. Learning to accept what happened to me was really my only way out of it. Of course I still have days where it comes back. Zoloft is to strong plus it is addictive so I don't recomemend it to to many people. If used for long peorids of time it can cause other medical problems. Buspar works better as far as I'm concerned if your deperession is not to bad. It's more mild and easier on the body too. Makes life normal.

My friend has to be tested ever 6 months or so to see if the Zoloft is causing her a problem, so far she has been ok. She does have withdralls for the Zoloft is she skips a day or two without taking them. So I'm not a big fan of Zoloft. She did the prozac too and that was a big mess for her, it was as if she had no emotions at all with it. I could make up a story and tell her that her house was on fire and she just say OK as calm as could be. Not feeling your depression is great but you still want to feel something.

If you think you need to go back to the DR., do it, just ask lots of questions. You want to know all the side affects to any pill he gives you. Ask to be put on a lower dose and slowing work your way up if that dose isn't helping. Every pill effects each person a little different so you might have to go through a few before you find whats right for you. Just my advice for what it's worth.

todd
11-07-2003, 10:00 PM
yes I do

Prairie Purrs
11-07-2003, 10:15 PM
One of the most frustrating things about treating depression is that medication is trial and error. What works wonderfully for one person may do nothing at all (or have adverse effects) for the next person. For example, Prozac helps a lot of people, but it just made me really cranky. Plus there's all the guesswork involved in figuring out the right dose, and the amount of time it takes to switch meds (because you can't just quit one cold turkey and start taking another one).

smokey the elder
11-08-2003, 07:06 AM
I had trouble three years ago, when in a short time, I lost the original Smokey, my dad and my job in a 7 months period. I got a lot of moral support from people, but the best therapy was whn Smokey used her RB connections to send Diamond and TicTac my way.

For those who need meds, it is important that they are closely monitored, since the side effects profiles very so radically from person to person. There is a new field developing called "pharmaco-genomics" where drug companies are trying to learn why medicines affect different people differently.

I'm glad society is starting to realize that depression is a hard wired/chemical condition and not a personal failure. Might as well say cancer is your fault!

mahayana
11-08-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm glad to see a thread on this subject. I have never had anything in the "clinical depression" categories, but have experienced it in those close to me. My first college roommate talked about suicide a lot, and killed himself summer after freshman year. Also, my mom was real depressed after my dad died.

And I did some "rational-emotive" therapy after my wife divorced me to marry her boss, and they wouldn't let me see my infant son.

primabella
11-08-2003, 09:06 AM
I used to be depressed while in grade 8. It was stupid kiddy stuff that really got to me, but luckily I was never really serious about taking my own life. I thought about it, but I knew I wouldn't.

I really got depressed because I had been ditched by one of my best friends (or so I thought) and she was talking bad about me to her new friends. Also I felt like my other friends hated me. I wasn't doing well in school, a guy liked me and I acted like a complete idiot to him when he was really a nice guy and I was going through that period where you think you are the ugliest, fattest person on Earth. One night I just broke down crying. Luckily my sister and parents talked to me and since then I have been okay. Especially now I have Mickey and 3 amazing best friends to turn to and I know I always have my family and you guys. :)

bluekat
11-08-2003, 09:13 AM
I don't know...I guess I have experienced it before, but it wasn't that serious. I'm kind of stressed out all the time now, with homework and friends and everything. I do have depressions, but they're not too bad.
I never tell anyone in my real life about them though, I think I'm just more comfortable telling you guys:)

lovemyshiba
11-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes, I have.

A couple years ago, it got to it's worst point. I had a horrible job, a horrible relationship, and just a crappy life.
I had panic attacks and horrible mood swings.
I quit my job, and got to a point where I wouldn't even leave the house--I was too afraid--Of what, I don't know, but the anxiety was taking me over.
Luckily, my husband helped me get help. I started seeing a therapist once a week, and a doctor prescribed medication for me. It took me a while, but every little step was wonderful for me. I started working again, and socializing, and felt pretty normal. I haven't seen the therapist since March, because the center shut down and she lost her job, but I was ready when the time came. Now I see my doctor every 2 months to check my meds, but he is talking about taking me off of them soon.

I did take Zoloft, and got off of it with no problems. I now take Effexor.

Twisterdog
11-08-2003, 05:47 PM
No, never.

I really don't have any idea what it would be like to be depressed.

I'm happy almost all of the time, and if I'm not happy, I'm just momentarily angry - I vent, I'm happy again.

Works for me!

:D

mahayana
11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Tonya and Twisterdog-

I would be happy to type the Beck Depression Inventory in here, for everyone that reads this thread to evaluate whether they are depressed and to what degree.

It is a 21 question multiple choice questionnaire, and an interpretation table.

Might take up most of a page, though...

Tonya
11-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Go for it, mahayana! That'd be great! Thank you.

G.P.girl
11-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by mahayana

I would be happy to type the Beck Depression Inventory in here, for everyone that reads this thread to evaluate whether they are depressed and to what degree.

It is a 21 question multiple choice questionnaire, and an interpretation table.

Might take up most of a page, though...
yeah you should

mahayana
11-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Ok, here goes.

Get a piece of paper and write the numbers 1-21 down the left side. When you decide which answer number best reflects how you have been feeling during the past few days, write it next to the question number. Answer each question.

1. 0 I do not feel sad
1 I feel sad
2 I am sad all the time and I can't snap out of it
3 I am so sad or unhappy that I can't stand it

2. 0 I am not particularly concerned about the future
1 I feel discouraged about the future
2 I feel I have nothing to look forward to
3 I feel that the future is hopeless and that things cannot
improve

3. 0 I do not feel like a failure
1 I feel I have failed more than the average person
2 As I look back on my life, all I can see is a lot of failures
3 I feel I am a complete failure as a person

4. 0 I get as much satisfaction out of things as I used to
1 I don't enjoy things the way I used to
2 I don't get real satisfaction out of anything anymore
3 I am dissatisfied or bored with everything

5. 0 I don't feel particularly guilty
1 I feel guilty a good part of the time
2 I feel quite guilty most of the time
3 I feel guilty all of the time

mahayana
11-08-2003, 08:01 PM
6. 0 I don't feel I am being punished
1 I feel I may be punished
2 I expect to be punished
3 I am being punished

7. 0 I don't feel disappointed in myself
1 I am disappointed in myself
2 I am disgusted with myself
3 I hate myself

8. 0 I don't feel I am worse that anyone else
1 I am critical of myself for my weaknesses or mistakes
2 I blame myself all the time for my faults
3 I blame myself for everything bad that happens

9. 0 I don't have any thoughts of killing myself
1 I have thoughts of killing myself, but I would not carry them
out
2 I would like to kill myself
3 I would kill myself if I had the chance

10. 0 I don't cry any more than usual
1 I cry more now than I used to
2 I cry all the time now
3 I used to be able to cry, but now I can't even cry though I
want to

mahayana
11-08-2003, 08:15 PM
11. 0 I am no more irritated by things than I ever am
1 I am slightly more irritated now than usual
2 I am quite annoyed or irritated a good deal of the time
3 I feel irritated all the time now

12. 0 I have not lost interest in other people
1 I am less interested in people than I used to be
2 I have lost most of my interest in other people
3 I have lost all of my interest in other people

13. 0 I make decisions about aswell as I ever could
1 I put off making decisions more than I used to
2 I have greater difficulty making decisions than before
3 I can't make decisions at all anymore

14. 0 I don't feel that I look any worse than I used to
1 I am worried that I may look old or unattractive
2 I feel that there arepermanent changes in my appearance that make me look unattractive
3 I believe that I look ugly

15. 0 I can work about as well as before
1 It takes an extra effort to get started at doing something
2 I have to push myself very hard to do anything
3 I can't do any work at all

Kfamr
11-08-2003, 08:31 PM
* waiting for the rest *

mahayana
11-08-2003, 08:34 PM
16. 0 I can't sleep as well as usual
1 I don't sleep as well as I used to
2 i wake up 1-2 hours earlier than usual and find it hard to get back to sleep
3 I wake up several hours earlier than I used to and cannot get back to sleep

17. 0 I don't get more tired than usual
1 I get tired more easily than I used to
2 I get tired from doing almost anything
3 I am too tired to do anything

18. 0 My appetite is no worse than usual
1 My appetite is not as good as it used to be
2 My appetite is much worse now
3 I have no appetite at all anymore

19. 0 I haven't lost much weight, if any, lately
1 I have lost more than five pounds
2 I have lost more than 10 pounds
3 I have lost more than 15 pounds

20. 0 I am no more worried about my health than usual
1 I am worried about physical problems such as aches and pains, or upset stomach, or constipation
2 I am very worried about physical problems, and it's hard to think of much else
3 I am so worried about my physical problems that I cannot think about anything else

21. 0 I have not noticed any recent changes in my interest in sex
1 I am less interested in sex than I used to be
2 I am much less interested in sex now
3 I have lost interest in sex completely

mahayana
11-08-2003, 08:44 PM
If more than one answer applies to you, write down the higher number. If in doubt, make your best guess. Do not leave any question unanswered.

Now that you have completed the test, add up the score for each of the 21 questions and obtain the total. The higher the total score, the more severe the depression:

Total Score Levels of depression

1-10 These ups and downs are considered normal
11-16 Mild Mood Disturbance
17-20 Borderline clinical depression
21-30 Moderate depression
31-40 Severe depression
over 40 Extreme depression

Kfamr
11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I got a pretty high number.

I feel really odd just posting this, because normally I just talk about it to my close friends.

I have a really hard time talking to people in real life though.
I used to be into alot of things. Now, It's just my music, Animals, photography, and poetry.

I hopped at the chance to go places, like out to dinner and all -- Now all I want to do it sit at home "alone" with my babies.

I used to be much worse though, to the point where i'd come home from school, get Simba -- And just crash in my room.
I'd bang my head into my walls. I'd punch my walls. I'd rip my hair out. I'd cry to no end. Simba was literally my box of tissues. Everytime I felt the slightest bit of tear coming, I'd run to him. He's soak it all up, and i'd hug him as tight as I could.

I have a hard time crying infront of people, but in school last year I finally let it out. I cried in the middle of class.
I'm constantly thinking about things that happened before, or things that may happen in the future.

Honestly, I think Simba was the only thing that kept me alive.
Everyone always tells me how happy I am -- Really, it's only how happy I seem.

The tiniest things make me cry. The things that make me cry most are drugs and alcohol. That, and when something happens to Simba or Nala.

Most of my emotions now are let out through poetry. When i'm not feeling so well -- I ask my father to bring me to the Humane Society or SPCA. Yes, it's very saddening that all of those animals are in there, but being able to get away from home, being able to go and talk to all of the animals makes me feel so peaceful. Everything clears my mind completely, everything goes away.

I'm not sure if it's just a teenage girl thing -- or if I'm just psycho.

I could probably go on and on -- But you guys probably think i'm crazy enough. I have tears from typing all of this -- And I need to go hug Simba.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I could probably go on and on -- But you guys probably think i'm crazy enough. I have tears from typing all of this -- And I need to go hug Simba.

It's not crazy at all, I've been through some stuff and thought I wouldn't make it. Writing stories helps get most of it out for me. I have stories written from life and death to the love of my dogs. I used to just sit in the corner and cry all the time for no reason at all. People think I'm such a cheerful person, but sometimes I'm really crying on the inside. This might seem crazy, but lately I've been having nightmares of someone I love, dying. Yesterday, it was Daisy. I woke up crying and ran to see if she was still alive, and thank god it was just a dream. Daisy means as much to me as Simba does to you. I honestly can say I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I'm okay with talking about it now. I was never diagnosed or anything by anyone because I never went to get help. It got to the point where I almost took my own life. I decided not to because I have the best friends in the world who cared :). I still have my moments but I'm not nearly as bad as I was before.

I have pretty mucht the same case, I have my good and bad days, I'm fine with talking about it. Theres some days though, it's just like I want my world to end, nothing is going right.

My mom takes Zoloft, she has for the past few years I think, I remember she was just always tired and sick, I think work really stressed her out and it just got worse.

G.P.girl
11-09-2003, 12:53 AM
i got 23.
i've never told anybody that i'm depressed before. i almost killed my self last year. i think i'm alittle better this year. my teachers are really nice and i have all A's, but i still feel like i've done something wrong and i fail at everything i do that's not 100%
even a test thats 99% is bad. i never cry. not in front of peopple not wen i'm alone never. i guess i can't. but somtimes little things make me want to cry. like last week at school the ran out of the cheese pizza (the only vegetarian food) right before i got to the front of the line. it jusrt made me want to sit down and cry right in the middle of the cafeteria. oh well maybe i'm just crazy...

IttyBittyKitty
11-09-2003, 07:25 AM
I am coming out of my latest little "funk" that I've been in for the last three months....

There is severe clinical depression on both sides of my family so you could say that I am pre-disposed to it. My Mum has battled it all her life, my Dad is bi-polar. Almost everyone in the family on both sides also suffers from it.

I have battled suicidal depression in the past, most of the time it is completely unprovoked. It has been so damned bad that I sometimes have hallucinations and one time, I held the knife to my wrist, the only thing stopping me was a long ago promise to my mother that I'd never take my own life. Her father, her uncle and my Dad's brother had all taken their own lives and she could not bear to lose another to it.

I have, somewhat stubbornly, chosen to do battle with the big "D" without the use of drugs. Somewhat foolhardy, I know, but I have the dubious honor of being the only member of my immediate family who is not on medication for it.......

moosmom
11-09-2003, 08:30 AM
I've suffered from depression since I was a kid. I never got help for it till I went through my divorce. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I've taken Zoloft, Effexor (nasty stuff) and am now on Paxil CR. I also suffer from panic attacks, although I haven't had one in quite sometime.

Depression is hereditary. My Dad suffered from it but chose to drink instead of getting help.

mugsy
11-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Interesting the different reactions people have to the different anti-depression drugs. I had a bad reaction to Zoloft, but not Effexor (just stopped working) and Paxil....well.....when the nurse told me if I didn't take it everyday at the right time that it can be really nasty, I stopped taking it because I am really bad about taking meds and didn't want to end up in the ER with delusions. Basically I'm lazy about taking meds. And actually since I have stopped taking them I feel TONS better. I don't understand it, but I do.

Tonya
11-09-2003, 09:08 AM
I didn't take the test because the Prozac has me ok right now. It was pretty severe before hand. I agree that it is hereditary. My biological father committed suicide when I was 1. My mother has been diagnosed with every form of anxiety and depression that you can think of.

I'd always blamed it on the rough things going on in my life. I figured that once I got them straightened out, the depression would go away. But now, my life is perfect. I don't have anything to complain about and I still deal with depression.

It scares me because my mom has gotten progressively worse over the years. I know this sounds mean, but she's nuts. I don't know if her ailments got worse, or all the years of different meds did it. I get worried that I might wind up that way.

Those of you who are experiencing problems, go see a doctor. You don't have to live your life like that. Please don't ever take your life. It leaves so many people behind that will never get over it. Depression is difficult, but you can get help.

mugsy
11-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Those of you who are experiencing problems, go see a doctor. You don't have to live your life like that. Please don't ever take your life. It leaves so many people behind that will never get over it. Depression is difficult, but you can get help.

AMEN!

Amber
11-09-2003, 10:52 AM
I have been really depressed over brodie leaving me. I could NEVER EVER get over it. :(

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 12:21 PM
My help is Simba and Nala. :)

That's why I think everyone should have a dog or two in their life.
Especially teenagers.

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 12:34 PM
I got 36. :( That's awfully high...

petlover
11-09-2003, 04:08 PM
I am sorry to say it. I would explain what makes me so upset. But it is hard to talk about. I have had to watch pets die, ( Which was very hard) See my pets on road that had been hit, and just overall watching any animal pass away or get put down. I have to watch a lot of that. I wish that I didn't, but I do have to sometimes.:( :( I help out at a pet clinic and... I don't want to talk about it anymore.

popcornbird
11-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Never had clinical depression, but I did used to feel depressed when I was maturing........at around 12-13 years. It was more the hormones, than real *depression*........but since I got my Popcorn and Muffin, I have never felt that way again. All I have to do cuddle with my birdies, talk to them, watch them do their stunts, or whistle to them and laugh at how they imitate me. Parrots are so funny, and so entertaining, its impossible to get depressed when you have the company of one! :D

Foam
11-09-2003, 05:54 PM

I feel really odd just posting this, because normally I just talk about it to my close friends.

I have a really hard time talking to people in real life though.
I used to be into alot of things. Now, It's just my music, Animals, photography, and poetry.

I hopped at the chance to go places, like out to dinner and all -- Now all I want to do it sit at home "alone" with my babies.

I used to be much worse though, to the point where i'd come home from school, get Simba -- And just crash in my room.
I'd bang my head into my walls. I'd punch my walls. I'd rip my hair out. I'd cry to no end. Simba was literally my box of tissues. Everytime I felt the slightest bit of tear coming, I'd run to him. He's soak it all up, and i'd hug him as tight as I could.

I have a hard time crying infront of people, but in school last year I finally let it out. I cried in the middle of class.
I'm constantly thinking about things that happened before, or things that may happen in the future.

Honestly, I think Simba was the only thing that kept me alive.
Everyone always tells me how happy I am -- Really, it's only how happy I seem.

The tiniest things make me cry. The things that make me cry most are drugs and alcohol. That, and when something happens to Simba or Nala.

Most of my emotions now are let out through poetry. When i'm not feeling so well -- I ask my father to bring me to the Humane Society or SPCA. Yes, it's very saddening that all of those animals are in there, but being able to get away from home, being able to go and talk to all of the animals makes me feel so peaceful. Everything clears my mind completely, everything goes away.

Kay-
I know we're not the best of friends, and we don't get along very well but we have a LOT in common..
Everyone goes through depression, and you are not alone. I promise. :)
I think everybody knows about my depression..family, friends, strangers and just about everything else.
You say Simba is the only thing keeping you alive?? I know how you feel. I also know that it shouldn't be that way, because there are so many things in life to love and be happy about, but lots of times it just feels like hell and pets are the only ones who care. Darlin was my life saver during the time I thought about leaving. She still is. Now, I'm getting older and I'm getting more mature and with that, comes darker depressions. Now, Oz is my love. Oz is the only one who cares, right? No. Lots of people care, but I feel like he and Darlin are the only ones who do. They're always there for me to just..let out on. They're there for me to cry on, talk to, and listen. Ozzy knows when something's wrong. :)
When you said you cried during class...I got so many flashbacks, girl! I cry in class a lot when I'm going through heavy depression. Sometimes to the point where I have to leave the room and go into the bathroom for the rest of the class. Most of the time, it's just a bunch of drippy tears and sniffles, though. I cry when I need to, unless it's about physical pain.
I'm NOT ashamed to show my 'painful' emotions to people. I'm showing them that I need support, and I can't do it alone. If they think that it's babyish, then screw them. I don't have a problem with it.
This might sound pretty weird coming from me, but talk to me whenever you need to. I'm here. That goes for everyone! ;)

mahayana
11-10-2003, 06:51 AM
A couple of people here have mentioned fighting depression without meds. Just wanted to say that despite the PC which puts everyone, including little kids, on mood drugs, I am way on the counseling end of this spectrum.

The medications don't solve the problems that make you depressed. It's not that they don't work, temporarily. Just that they make you dependent without really changing anything in you or in the life conditions that distress.

Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of the population is on these meds? How many school children?

I can share info on self-counseling; I have a library of self-help books, two of the best are "Feeling Good", David D. Burns MD, and "Help Yourself To Happiness", Maxie Maultsby, Jr, MD. Both are probably in your public library.

Please know that this is not a criticism of any of you. You deserve love and understanding and support!

moosmom
11-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Mahayana,

I am way on the counseling end of this spectrum.

Me too! I had been seeing a wonderful therapist in CT but then I moved. I got the name of a great therapist here in MI from my friend and have an appt tomorrow night with him. Medication is only HALF the treatment. That along with talking to someone go hand in hand.

As far as people saying "Come on, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and move on!!" If it were THAT easy, I would've done it years ago. People who don't suffer from depression and anxity have absolutely NO idea what it's like. I hated being at the mercy of my chemical imbalance. But I feel like I am in control and my life is on an even keel.

My cats have also played a MAJOR part in my life. I've gone through alot in my 50 years. It wasn't till I got my first cat (Mollie Rose, now 9) that I found someone who would love me unconditionally.

I also write which brings me great comfort. When my Dad passed away back in 1997, I began a story of his life and my life, how difficult a childhood he had and how he succummed to alcoholism, and me as the sole caretaker of an elderly, alcoholic parent. It took me 6 years to write it, a little bit at a time, but it's done. I just need to find a magazine or newspaper to publish it. It was a very "healing" thing for me. That's why my passion is writing and cats.

Soledad
11-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Mahayana - You have never experienced depression, am I right? That's what I gathered from your other posts.

There are many people who simply do not have the luxury of abstaining from medication. To do so would put their lives in jeopardy. Would you still insist on therapy only methods?

I think medication has saved a lot of people from the crippling effects of depression, and while we have to be careful about its overuse, I do not feel it is helpful to anyone to rule it out entirely.

micki76
11-10-2003, 12:05 PM

So did I.

I’m going to give it some time, since my father just passed away, and retake this in a few weeks. I think my depression is pretty normal right now, considering my recent loss.

Prairie Purrs
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Mahayana - You have never experienced depression, am I right? That's what I gathered from your other posts.

There are many people who simply do not have the luxury of abstaining from medication. To do so would put their lives in jeopardy. Would you still insist on therapy only methods?

I think medication has saved a lot of people from the crippling effects of depression, and while we have to be careful about its overuse, I do not feel it is helpful to anyone to rule it out entirely.

I've gotta chime in here too, as someone for whom talk therapy has been worse than useless--including (especially!!) the cognitive therapy espoused in "Feeling Good," one of the books mahayana recommended.

Folks with chronic depression are not depressed merely because of "problems." They are depressed because of chemistry. When I was a small child, with no "problems" to speak of, I'd sometimes burst into hysterical tears for no good reason. Although a life crisis can certainly trigger a major depression for me, it's not a necessary prerequisite.

Depression is an illness. Talk therapy works for some, but not for all--and for major depressions, I believe most psychiatrists recommend a combination of medication and therapy, not therapy alone. If someone has a raging infection, most people wouldn't tell him to just go get some talk therapy and skip the antibiotics.

Also, there's a common misconception about antidepressants--that they're "feel good" drugs that get you high. I've never gotten a buzz from an antidepressant. Generally, the only way I can tell if one is working is that I can think more clearly and feel more "normal." If someone who isn't depressed takes an antidepressant, he or she won't get high. More likely, that person would just feel sick from the side effects.

I'm not advocating the "take a pill, make it go away" easy-fix mentality. There is no easy fix for chronic depression. I've spent many, many years trying to live in a way that allows me to manage my dysthymia without medication--and I've only taken the meds during major depressions that were otherwise uncontrollable. I hate the side effects from antidepressants.

But please, don't discourage a depressed person from seeking whatever form of help is available! For someone to think that they're not as good or as strong a person because they're taking medication will simply aggravate his or her illness.

2kitties
11-10-2003, 01:04 PM
I've never been depressed. I've been Sad plenty, but never depressed. I think the word "depression" is overused in today's society- so much so that it is dismissive of the true disease.
Medication is sometimes necessary to treat true cases of depression. But doctors today are so readily handing out zoloft and prozac, that it's become almost vogue to be one some type of mood lifter. Therapy, however, can be enough to help someone who is dealing with mild depression or is unable to handle their emotions. Shoot, we could all probably benefit from some therapy at some point in our lives.
I would need two hands to count all the people I know who've been on some kind of drugs for depression. And I doubt half of them really have chemical problems in their mind.

Soledad
11-10-2003, 01:11 PM
CatsinDenver, your post reflected my concerns perfectly. I get really tired about people dispelling the usefulness of drugs, especially when they themselves have not had to deal with severe and/or bipolar depression. These are not diseases to be treated lightly. They make you a danger to yourself and others and MUST be treated with meds and therapy.

People on meds are not failures, quitters or cowards. No one can truly know what goes on in someone else's mind, and so we cannot judge the mental state of a close friend as we would like to think we can. If someone feels the need to go on medication, I can only hope that those close to them will not judge them for it and tell them it's simply a matter of working harder. That is the kind of statement that can move people over the edge. I know this first hand. :(

Prairie Purrs
11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I've never been depressed. I've been Sad plenty, but never depressed. I think the word "depression" is overused in today's society- so much so that it is dismissive of the true disease.
Medication is sometimes necessary to treat true cases of depression. But doctors today are so readily handing out zoloft and prozac, that it's become almost vogue to be one some type of mood lifter. Therapy, however, can be enough to help someone who is dealing with mild depression or is unable to handle their emotions. Shoot, we could all probably benefit from some therapy at some point in our lives.
I would need two hands to count all the people I know who've been on some kind of drugs for depression. And I doubt half of them really have chemical problems in their mind.

Unfortunately, there are just as many bad therapists as there are doctors handing out drugs too easily. It takes a lot of searching (something that's hard to do on many medical insurance plans) to find a good one.

Once I was suffering from a crippling depression that left me unable to get out of bed and go to work. I went to a therapist who insisted that I had to work somewhere (I believe it was because she was worried about getting paid). The cashiers at a local supermarket chain were on strike at the time, so she recommended that I become a strike breaker and cross the picket lines to work there. For many reasons, that would have been a disaster.

Other therapists have just recommended self-help books. Now, there's a waste of money. I can certainly buy and read self-help books without also paying a therapist.

I'm sure there are some excellent psychologists and psychiatrists out there. I just haven't had the good fortune to find one--and my insurance plan would only pay for six visits if I did. And a bad therapist can do as much or more harm than unnecessary medication.

Soledad
11-10-2003, 01:36 PM
A bad therapist can be deadly.:mad: :(

I don't understand why people think they are the end all be all. They are people, too. And often, they make many mistakes.

primabella
11-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I think the word "depression" is overused in today's society- so much so that it is dismissive of the true disease.

You're very right, 2kitties. I guess what I went through wasn't a depression at all but more like a really stressful time or a breakdown and I just couldn't handle it. Depression is a serious illness, and a term not to be used lightly.

Kay and Foam...and anyone else who may feel the same way..*hugs* :( I don't know what else to say except if anyone needs to talk or even just to vent without expecting an answer I'm always here. Sometimes it helps to get things off your chest.

bluekat
11-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Before this thread started, I had no idea that a lot of you guys were suffering from depression:( It makes me glad that I'm not alone too. I don't think I'm actually depressed, its just that I have SO MUCH stress right now. It was pretty bad at one time, I used to cry and cry every night. All this stress and everything, it all has to do with school. I always think back to the summer holiday when I was "stress-free" and I miss it so much:( Right now, my mind is always full of things. It makes me so mad and stressed out. Just when I think that its going away, it comes back again.

I know that next year it'll probably get worse. I'm going into my first year at high school next year, and I know that high school could be really bad. I know that for some people its the best years of their life, and for some its the Complete opposite:confused: I'll probably hate high school. I don't know...I know its going to be really hard though.

Anyways, I feel so sorry for the others who are feeling like this too. I know how you feel:( I think its best if we just let it all out here and get it off our chest. It'll be better, knowing someone's here for you. So if any of you need to talk, I'm here too:)

mahayana
11-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Sorry people if I gave the impression that I was against the use of medication for treating depression. Just wanted to be honest about where I'm coming from. So to clarify-

You all deserve love and understanding and support, and whatever medication your doctor deems necessary.

Even Beck says that a score of 17 or higher indicates the need for professional (medical) help.

I'm sure that everthing Soledad said is true. The attitudes about mental health in the general population are very cruel and judgemental. Even one joke thread here has posted an ADD joke...

This may not be the right place to get into the subjects of why people feel low self esteem etc, maybe I just have longed to share some insights I got from counseling and reading.

The human mind is an amazing subject!

dukedogsmom
11-10-2003, 06:31 PM
I've always heard that the medication should be used in relation to the therapy/counseling. And yes, I've experienced very deep depression as well. When going through my divorce, I could certainly understand why someone would want to commit suicide, but I would still never consider it myself. I haven't taken the test yet. Will do that now. I probably will score a little high, myself. I most of the time feel like Duke is my only true friend. Years of rejection can do that to you. I've found that if you aren't a starving model type, most men don't want a thing to do with you. So, that's made me harden my view on life. Geez, I think I've said too much..........

lovemyshiba
11-10-2003, 06:48 PM
I scored a 5--seems like I'm doing well!!
The combination of medication and therapy seemed to have worked well for me--I couldn't get out of it myself.

slick
11-10-2003, 06:50 PM
I copied the test into a Word document and will take it in due time.

mahayana: I don't want to take this thread into a different direction but I was wondering if you have had any experience with meditation?? Years ago when I was seeking counselling I found that meditation helped me to focus on what was important, that being my own welfare.

catland
11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
the last few years i've gotten really depressed around november/december. i haven't told anybody although it got really bad last year. i can feel it coming back already, but maybe not as bad as last year, because i'm in a different imviorment where i don't feel like such a failure. but i guess i'll just have to wait and see how bad it gets.

GP - you might have seasonal affectiveness disorder or SAD. Very common for people who live in grey dreary winter places like Seattle and Portland. You become starved for sunlight.

We've put in sunlight balanced florencent lighting at home. You can also do a search on the internet to learn more.

mahayana
11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Slick- you guessed it!

Meditation is like that Christian phrase "the peace that passeth all understanding".

And it's really easy to learn to do.

I go to the secret, silent place all the time, "the kingdom of heaven is within you", and yes...

it is helpful.

tikeyas_mom
11-10-2003, 09:23 PM
I was told I was just acting like a teeager for the longest tiome, but I got analized by a psyhcologist and he said I have severe anxiety disorder, so yeah now I tyake meds for it and I am all better

micki76
11-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I scored a 5--seems like I'm doing well!!
The combination of medication and therapy seemed to have worked well for me--I couldn't get out of it myself.

5!!! What are you taking and where can I get some???? I seriously scored extremely high. Maybe I should see someone...

lovemyshiba
11-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Micki you mentioned earlier that you are still coping with the loss of your father--I'm sure that has a lot, if not everything, to do with your high number.

I was impressed by mine too, and I did take the test honestly. I am quite proud of myself too, because I know a couple of years ago my score would have been ten times that.
The combination of marrying my best friend, working out a lot of family issues, finding a job I love and want to go to every day, having four wonderful dogs, and just being content with my life are all factors--I'm very lucky right now.

tikeyas_mom
11-11-2003, 01:09 AM
I took the test and I got

17-20 Borderline clinical depression

binka_nugget
11-11-2003, 01:36 AM
I got 24. I guess it's alot better than before.

Fox-Gal
11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Before I took the test I thought I was fine, according to the test I'm not though. That's depressing on it's own.

It's a good idea to take the test on another day, also to see if the mood from one day to another changes your answers. It's a great test, but to really get an idea it should be taken several times. Everyone has good days and bad, that's how life works, but if you consistently get a high score then I'd take it more seriously. I only say this for those that might worry that their score was high, I wouldn't want them to panic just yet.

For a few years I worked with rape victims and one of the things we did was have them answer questions similar to these over a period of time. Not only was it a way to tell if they where improving but to tell if they where suffer from another form of depression as well.

For a few years I suffered from depression from my own rape and beating but it was never clinical, but according to the test today I do have clinical depression. I honestly belive thats not true, I'm just having a bad day today and that effects my answers. Feeling a little lonly and left out today efffects my answers as hard as I tried not to let it, I'm sure it did. In all the counseling I've had and help with we never went by one test.

I just felt that this needed to be said if it hasn't already, for those here who might read to much into one test. The only way to truly know is to see a Dr.. If anyone has worries that they might be suffering from depression please see a Dr. And know matter what type of depression you suffer from counseling is important, with or without medication. Even those with a chemical imbalance can be helped with counseling.

My 2 cents on things.

BTW: my keyboard is sticking so forgive any mistakes in this post.
:)

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:27 AM
This thread has been very interesting, and as is typical, I find myself in agreement with 2kitties and Soledad.

Too often, people say, "I'm depressed", when they mean, "I am sad" or "I am having a bad day".

Too often, people say, "I am fine", or "That's okay" , when truely they aren't, and it is not.

Medications for depression, treatment for all forms of mental health, the public's awareness, are all coming to the fore, finally.

I don't see it as "everyone is on meds..." so much as I see it "meds are now finally available to everyone, not just those slashing thier wrists...".

Our society asks alot of us, especially the younger people...do well in school, get along with your completely torn apart family, ignore the media messages, help support the family, etc.

For those of you that spend your life in a happy place, I am glad for you. May you never know depression. For the rest of us, though, life is truly a struggle sometimes, even when seemingly, we have it 'all'.

Every one of us is close to someone suffering from depression. We might not know it, but, it is there.

2kitties
11-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Does anyone think it is strange that there is apparently a high concentration of "depressed" people on Pet Talk????

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
Even those with a chemical imbalance can be helped with counseling.

I respectfully disagree with that statment. A chemical imbalance is a chemical imbalance. Counseling does not change that, anymore than it would change a thyroid condition, epilepsy, etc. You can't just talk away a chemical imbalance.

:(

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Does anyone think it is strange that there is apparently a high concentration of "depressed" people on Pet Talk????

No. I think alot of the population is struggling with 'depression', or some form of sadness (for example, saying you are depressed cause you can't get over XYZ leaving you, isn't really 'depressed'). PT is a microcosm of the world, IMO.

2kitties
11-11-2003, 08:43 AM
So are you saying that happy, or relatively non-depressed people are the minority in the world? Or is PT a microism of a world consisting of a high percentage of teenagers.
I consider myself a happy and well-adjusted woman who knows mostly happy and well-adjusted people. (and for the record I would've never called myself sad or depressed as a teen either.) I never would've considered myself a member of a contented minority.

And, as a note: I DO NOT consider it depression if you're sad because XYZ left you. That's life, get over it and move on.

Again, ya learn something new every day.

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:49 AM
I think PT is a microcism (sic) of the real world, slightly skewed, of course, since it is a pet site. I think there are alot of troubled people in the world, in general.

As to your comment re: being content, and around contented people....I would be willing to wager there are people in your immediate circle of friends that struggle/have struggled with depression. It isn't really the type of thing people say, "Hi, I am so and so, and I am depressed". You know? Of course, I could be wrong, but, I don't think so...

2kitties
11-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Yes, Cat, possibly there are some pretty depressed people in my circle. In fact, I know plenty who are. But my point is the majorty are not. They have bad days, but they generally deal with it.

Yes, I do believe in depression and I do believe it is a real condition that torments many people. But, I don't belive that the majority of people are clinically depressed. We all have bad days, but that doesn't make us depressed. I think there are a lot of people who lose their boyfriend and for some reason can't suck it up and get past it. I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive, but I suppose I am. If the majority of the population is truly depressed, well, that is pretty depressing.

popcornbird
11-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Honestly, I don't believe the majority of the people in this world are *depressed*..........really. We would be having some MAJOR issues in this world if that was the case. Well, I know we do have major issues in the world, but I really find it hard to believe that THAT many people are clinically depressed. Or are they.........and just *under the carpet*, never known of and never treated? That is so sad.

I agree with the word *depression* being over-used when it isn't needed though, and to be honest, I have over-used it before as well. We all have our sad moments, but that is soooo true that we really aren't in a state of *depression*. I know that I've described myself as depressed at times of sadness, when I wasn't really depressed. I was just sad. I don't know depression at this point in life, and hope I never will. So it is over-used and we do use the word too much in the society, making it seem as not such a big deal when someone who REALLY has depression says they're depressed. I have a cousin who used to suffer from depression..............after her cat died. She was seriously depressed and had to take pills because of it. :( It was so sad. She had the cat since she was 4 years old, and it died of old age when she was 23. She just couldn't take it. It was the saddest thing to see her like that, but thank God she's alright now. My aunt was also depressed, for the longest time ever. She lost her eldest son at age 15 in a car accident and has never been normal after that. I feel so bad for her. She's ok now, but she still gets those depressive moments. :( So you're right that we all probably do have people who are close to us suffering from depression. Its sad and I wish their was something we could do to help. Someone thinking about killing themselves as a result of depression is very sad indeed. I could never even imagine doing something like that!

Some of the responses from the teens here really makes me sad. I can only say that I hope they find peace and happiness in themselves someday, and I thank God, everyday, that I'm not one of the many sad and depressed teens in the world.

tikeyas_mom
11-11-2003, 11:31 AM
only a licenced professional can determin ANY of you have depression, dont just rely on a lil quiz, ok ;)

2kitties
11-11-2003, 11:41 AM
*if* you go by our little pole here, then for every 38 people you meet, only 6 of them are not or have never been *depressed*.

I don't buy it. And I think those people who truly are depressed should take serious issue with people who just toss around the term.

T_M you're exactly right.

tikeyas_mom
11-11-2003, 11:55 AM
alot of teens toss around the term and mention suicide, but alot of them are really just wanting attention. it is sad... I am glad I got the help I needed for my anxiety, because if I didnt I would be a reck right now.

Prairie Purrs
11-11-2003, 12:53 PM
I think arguing over who's *really* depressed (like it's some sort of privilege) entirely misses the point.

All teenagers go through hormonal changes, and those hormonal changes often cause mood swings. If those mood swings feel out of control, it's time to talk to someone you trust and, perhaps, to a doctor. Who cares whether you technically fall into the "clinically depressed" category--the important thing is whether you feel you need some help to weather the storm.

Am I surprised that so many people report problems with depression? No. Depression has a strong genetic component, and things that are genetic in nature tend to increase over time (unless, of course, it's a genetic problem that precludes reproduction).

Depression also can be related to traumatic events. Not only do we experience trauma (death of loved ones, divorce, job loss) in our personal lives, we're bombarded with horrible images on television.

No one who says she is so sad she wants to die (and yes, more women suffer from depression than men) should be told that she "isn't really depressed" and that she should just get over it like "normal" people. Someone who feels that miserable, even temporarily, should get some professional help. Maybe it is something that you can talk over and then feel better. Maybe it's something more.

And am I surprised that 32 people (at last count) out of all of the people who visit PT report some experience with depression? Of course not. For one thing, that doesn't mean that a majority of people at PT are depressed. It means a majority of people who have looked at this thread (which means they have some interest in the topic of depression) and who have chosen to respond to the poll report that they are or have been depressed. Viewed in that light, it's a pretty low number.

I, for one, would much rather that more people who suffer prolonged periods of sadness and feelings of worthlessness ask themselves (and their doctors) whether they may be suffering from depression. I'd rather more people get symptoms of depression checked out just as they'd go to the doctor with a high fever. Only when people start to think of depression the way they'd think of another illness will the stigma and the inequitable treatment (by insurance companies and others) finally go away.

lovemyshiba
11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Some of the responses from the teens here really makes me sad. I can only say that I hope they find peace and happiness in themselves someday, and I thank God, everyday, that I'm not one of the many sad and depressed teens in the world.

I couldn't agree with you more, it makes me very sad also.

I suppose I should clarify, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and acute agorophobia, both of which caused me to be depressed for a time, until I got help.

And, like Jynelle said, a quiz won't cut it--if you need help, see a professional.

Fox-Gal
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I respectfully disagree with that statment. A chemical imbalance is a chemical imbalance. Counseling does not change that, anymore than it would change a thyroid condition, epilepsy, etc. You can't just talk away a chemical imbalance.

:(

I never said you could take it away. I said it can help. I've seen it help with in my own family and other cases. No you can't change Epilepsy, for example, but you can get help to learn how to cope with it. Learning how to cope with any illness is important. I just belive that there is more then just Pills as a answer, to help with any problem a person might have.

When you see great changes in people with your own eyes you can't help but to belive in counseling combined with other treatments as an answer.

You are intitled to disagree though.

Tonya
11-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Hi, everyone. I know I started this thread, so I should be following the conversation. I haven't read it much in the past few days. I just don't really want to read about depression right now while my friend is sick. I'll catch back up with you on the subject soon. Sorry for being rude.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Overall, on the test, I got a 17.

I don't usually talk openly about stuff like this, but yeah, I cry, I cry when my parents make me angry, I cry when I feel like no one cares, I've thought a few times that the world would be better without me, that stuff. It's better now, but it still happens.

Borderline Clinical Depression.

T_M, I don't do it for attention, I can't help that I feel worthless and no one cares. I don'tp do it for attention. I know there will probably be a day when I do need to get help. But right now I'm fine... I don't like attention anyway. :p

Kfamr
11-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Some DO do it for attention. Infact most, if not ALL do it for attention. That is what they need. That is what they are starving from. They want someone to be there for them, they want someone who truely cares.

I, myself, only need attention from a select few people and I'm fine. When I get too much attention, I get angry. Expecially while at school. I hate when so many people come up to say "Hi" to me, when all I really want to talk to is the few people i *love* with all of my heart. I mean, I like all of my friends -- but these few people *almost* mean as much to me as Simba and Nala do. And for me, that's pretty much loving them with all of my heart, and I wouldn't know what to do if they were gone.

Kfamr
11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
only a licenced professional can determin ANY of you have depression

I'm not sure if a licenced professional could determine that 100% either.

I think really, it's all on you. You know whether or not you're depressed, you know what goes on in your mind and your life.
No stranger could say "Yeah, ok, i've talked to you for a half hour, you're not depressed" or "You're depressed."

It's only been a half hour, and for you it's been years (however old you are) -- YOU know what goes on in your mind, and you've seen what goes on through your eyes.

mahayana
11-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to say that I consider this thread to be an excellent discussion.

I took the Beck test this morning and got 13, took it again a few minutes ago and got 11. The only answer not zero or 1 was the sleep disturbance one.

"it's a long, long road...from which there is no return...
while we're on the way...there...why not share?"

You are all good people!

GoldenRetrLuver
11-12-2003, 07:03 PM
I agree with Kayann. SOME do it for attention, because maybe they're not getting the amount they need at home. I personally, *HATE* being the center of attention and sometimes wish people would leave me alone. The only time I love getting attention, is from Molly and Daisy, of course. ;) I feel really weird posting on this topic, because not even my closests friends know how I really feel.

Maybe it's just being a teenager? Or maybe I really do have a problem, who knows. I'm just glad I have my dogs to comfort me when I really need it.

Kfamr
11-12-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm going to take the test again.
Last time I got something around a 50 ( If I remember correctly )
and I was fine that day. I feel fine right now, so lets see. :)

Kfamr
11-12-2003, 07:20 PM
I still got a very high number, but it was a couple less than before.

slick
11-12-2003, 07:25 PM
I scored 20, alot higher than expected.

Prairie Purrs
11-12-2003, 07:27 PM
I think really, it's all on you. You know whether or not you're depressed, you know what goes on in your mind and your life.
No stranger could say "Yeah, ok, i've talked to you for a half hour, you're not depressed" or "You're depressed."

It's only been a half hour, and for you it's been years (however old you are) -- YOU know what goes on in your mind, and you've seen what goes on through your eyes.

Take it from someone who's got 40-some years of experience with depression--this is not something you can figure out on your own.

Until I was in my mid-20s, I thought I was just a bad, lazy person. I believed that the reason I often thought about killing myself was that I didn't deserve to live. It seemed perfectly reasonable and logical to comtemplate suicide. That's the nasty thing about depression--it warps your thought processes so that you can't think clearly. It's not at all uncommon for people who are severely, clinically depressed to deny that they suffer from depression.

A qualified psychologist or psychiatrist isn't just some stranger. He or she has seen many people with depression and knows the symptoms.

The bottom line for anyone who thinks he or she might be suffering from depression is to SEEK HELP!! Don't bottle it up inside or it'll explode someday.

micki76
11-12-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm going to take the test again.
Last time I got something around a 50 ( If I remember correctly )
and I was fine that day. I feel fine right now, so lets see. :)

:eek: Are you my kid or something? This has been happeneing too much for my happiness lately. I got a 48 the first time and a 46 the second.

Kfamr
11-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by micki76
:eek: Are you my kid or something? This has been happeneing too much for my happiness lately. I got a 48 the first time and a 46 the second.

If Chester, Millie, & Aneko can be my siblings.... Why yes, i'm your kid! :p

Twisterdog
11-12-2003, 09:43 PM
I got a seven on the quiz.

I'm a pretty happy person. :D

However, if I would have taken that quiz as a teenager, I'm positive my results would have been sky-high some days. The teen years are SO HARD, even for the most well-adjusted kid. I am a bit concerned that all the teens on here are taking this quiz, thinking, "Oh, man. I'm depressed. There's something seriously wrong with me!" when maybe it's just normal teenage/hormonal roller-coaster stuff.

And, another thing I'd like to add (and I hope it doesn't offend anyone!!!) .... when I was a teenager, no one would have even dreamed of saying they were "depressed". It just never occurred to us. It wasn't a popular, accepted thing ... the subject of talk-shows and magazine articles. "Depressed" might be what your old auntie was, but you didn't talk about it. The climate was not such in this country that it was acceptable and/or trendy to have an ailment like depression. Which was bad, if you were truly, clinically depressed - you probably didn't know it, didn't know how to get help, and were ashamed of it. However, I have to agree with others that said, the percentages on this poll seem a little "off". I honestly don't believe that less than 20% percent of the population has not been depressed! I think "depression" is becoming a catch-all, casual, Jenny Jones-ish phrase, which belittles the truly, clinically depressed. Kind of a sad statement on the climate of our world today.

IttyBittyKitty
11-13-2003, 04:03 AM
I think that it is fair to say that the world as it is today is contributing to a general malaise that is affecting everyone to a greater or lesser extent. It is becoming harder to simply stay afloat, to feed your children and keep a dry roof over your head. We are told that we are not making enough money, but we are spending more and more of it as each year passes. Our negative self-image is constantly re-inforced by the perfection we see in the media and perceive in others.

Trauma can induce chemical depression and it is getting to the point where simply living can be a traumatic experience for many. It is hardly surprising, therefore, that so many individuals identify with feelings of depression and helplessness.

So what if depression is brought on by a partner leaving you or general teen troubles? Serious, clinical depression can be induced by seemingly benign events even in indviduals not predisposed to such conditions. Why? Well, the human psyche and brain are very complex and volatile entities.

Having myself experienced both "chemical" and experientially-based depression I can easily say that depression is depression is depression and it sucks no matter which way you cut it.

We need to provide love and support for everyone who needs it.

2kitties
11-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Folks, please stop taking this rediculous quiz. It's an internet quiz. Not too much different than the ones that tell you which Friends Character you're most like, or what kind of dog you most resemble, etc. It can't accuratly tell you if you are depressed or not.

Prairie Purrs
11-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Folks, please stop taking this rediculous quiz. It's an internet quiz. Not too much different than the ones that tell you which Friends Character you're most like, or what kind of dog you most resemble, etc. It can't accuratly tell you if you are depressed or not.

The Beck depression inventory is not an Internet quiz. It is a widely used screening tool for clinical depression.

It cannot be used to self-diagnose depression, but it can help indicate whether someone should seek professional assistance.

2kitties
11-13-2003, 01:54 PM
CatsinDenver,
I absolutely, 100%, agree with you that someone who thinks they may be depressed should seek help from a professional. My point is that this quiz should be administered by a professional or taken in a situation other than what this thread has become. In this thread, for instance, it has become inflammatory. It is now a quiz that people are taking over and over again to see if they can make their scores change.
If you think you have a problem, see a counselor, or a parent, or someone.

Prairie Purrs
11-13-2003, 02:22 PM
The Beck depression inventory is a weekly test (it asks you to evaluate your mood over the past week), so although taking it every five minutes won't tell you much, it is intended to be taken more than once.

If you get a high score, see a doctor. I know how hard it is to tell your parents that you want to get help--boy oh boy, have I been there. But the sooner you get some help and learn how to manage depression, the better off you'll be. And if the doctor determines that you aren't depressed, well, that can only be a good thing.

bluekat
11-13-2003, 04:44 PM
However, if I would have taken that quiz as a teenager, I'm positive my results would have been sky-high some days. The teen years are SO HARD, even for the most well-adjusted kid. I am a bit concerned that all the teens on here are taking this quiz, thinking, "Oh, man. I'm depressed. There's something seriously wrong with me!" when maybe it's just normal teenage/hormonal roller-coaster stuff.

I agree, I'm going into my teen years now (well, I have been a teen for a while already;) ) and I'm so afraid of high school. It'll probably be the WORST years of my life:( I know its going to be very very hard. I hate being a teen. Well, sometimes:p lol

I feel really weird posting on this topic, because not even my closests friends know how I really feel.

I never tell my friends any of my problems. You guys probably know more about me than anyone else. and that's good:p

cubby31682
11-14-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm another one that doesn't talk to my friends about my depression. For that matter I don't talk to anyone. Hubby kinda knows when I get depressed, but he leaves me alone knowing that that is what I want to be left alone.

I have been depressed since I was 14, I was put on paxil (in my mind, that is the best pill for me, even though I haven't tried any others.) As soon as my depression slowly started to get better and better, my father passed away, I was once again put on paxil (by the doctor who killed my dad) My mother begged me not to get out of control when I had to talk to that doctor. She knew my attitude, she knew I would have said something or to him that shouldn't be said. What was going though my mind then was you took my dad from me, now it's my turn to take something from you. We did take him to court, to take his license but we never got his license. :mad: To this day I still hate that man.

Hmmm, I really got off topic this time. As far as my depression now goes. It has gotten better, I still get very depressed. I am not curently on any medications for it. I have thought about being put back on some. Over the last 5 years it has been a very hard battle over and over again. I still have days that I just do nothing but think about my dad and I will cry all day.

Ok I think I have shared enough for one day.

Katie

G.P.girl
11-15-2003, 04:02 PM
i'm depressed now.....nobody's home...i'm not even sure why i'm depressed...maybe i'll take that test agian....i'm on a starvation diet now, and i'm hungry...maybe i'll call my uncle....oh well, sorry to bother you guys....

mahayana
11-17-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry I didn't write something to you when I saw your last post, GP.

Afraid I'd say something wrong, make it worse.

I have a ton of guilt inside for not being better at helping people I care about with their serious problems.

Hope you are doing better now.

mahayana
11-21-2003, 06:50 AM
I've been trying to get other people to read this thread, which I really like.

Two of them are PTers, one is a niece who has expressed interest in becoming a clinical psychologist (counselor).

I wish there was more understanding of this subject by more people, more compassion about mental health issues in the general public. Guess it is a scary subject.

Also, if you are reading this, please vote in the poll! thanks.

G.P.girl
11-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mahayana
I'm sorry I didn't write something to you when I saw your last post, GP.

Afraid I'd say something wrong, make it worse.

I have a ton of guilt inside for not being better at helping people I care about with their serious problems.

Hope you are doing better now.
thanks:) i am doing better now. i guess i was just in a wierd mood. i am such a perfectionist and i hate that. because i think it's annoying when other people are perfectionists. we get progress reports next week and i have all A's. but the only grade i'm totaly satifyed with is my social studies grade (102.6 %) i feel so obnoxios and stuck-up. but i'm not i just want to do well so i can get in to a good college and get a god job. you know. oh well i'll stop blabbing now.

p.s. almost to 500!!:D

11-21-2003, 08:21 PM
I have had depression and do have bouts of it due to my health condition. Since I had Bipolar disorder, this is a little harder to treat than just depression alone. It is like depression and it's exact opposite, at the same time, or cycles of depression, and then cycles of mania. The mania actually feels good. You can be so happy, that you get on everyone elses nerves, or the mania may make you, feel overly confident, or cause you to spend more money than you have. It may make you rage. And then the depression comes along and you just hit rock bottom. You don't want to see anyone, talk to anyone and you find every excuse in the world why you didn't answer your phone or why you appeared not to be home or whatever. For the depression I was given wellbutrin, and for the mania, Depakote, which is an anticonvusive medication. I had many other kinds, but my memory doesn't serve me well enough to tell you what they were. That was over three years ago.
Now, I have studied up on my condition and will talk about what I am feeling. I have been dealing with this on my own much better than with all of those drugs that made me feel so groggy. i recognize my symptoms and phases, and just deal with them as they come. I know the warning signs, and I know when it is getting out of hand. But so far, in the last three years, I have been okay, not cured, but better, and free from unpleasant side effects of medication. If you need it, never be ashamed to ask for it though. You will know if you learn about your illness, whether you need help or not. Thanks for this thread, it is an interesting topic, and it is good to talk about it if we can. It is interesting to see what everyone else is taking or doing for their depression.

11-21-2003, 08:50 PM
I've decided to share just a little more about my history of depression. I have seen here that many have been kind enough to give a bit more details than I just shared so, I will tell you a bit more.
Mine became very out of control while taking medication. Not to say medication is bad, as I am sure it has helped many people. I had a doctor who was "prescription happy", for every new symptom there was a new pill for it. I took all the medication, and tried to keep up with it right, but there was just so much! I was like a zombie most of the time. I did things I would normally never do, had I not been influenced by the numbing affects of these medications. Some really bad things happened in my personal life. Things I just could not deal with, especially while so brain dead on all of this medicine. One day, I snapped. I had no control over what I was doing like I was watching a movie of myself. A horror movie. I will not go into the gruesome details as I know there are young people present, but I tried to take my life and almost succeeded. It's not "success", when a person takes their life, but I am sure you know what I meant. I am sure I am still suffering today from what I call a suicide attempt that back- fired. I didn't plan it; it just happened, and I couldn't stop myself from what Iwas doing. If you have thoughts, get help while you can. Don't wait until you have no control of what you are doing. Also, because I care, BEWARE OF "PRESCRIPTION HAPPY DOCTORS!!!". Mine almost killed me, and used my own hand to do it. I know I needed medication of some sort at that time, but all that I was on was unnecessary, and dangerous, said a doctor at Vanderbilt's University Medical Center, in Nashville, TN. So, I had a bad doctor giving me bad medicine, and had BAD results from it. Be careful about what you are being prescribed and ask for a second opinion. A third would not hurt.

mahayana
11-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Suicide is a hard subject for me to talk about, but I'm really glad you survived, Anathiona.

All of us have people that love us, and a purpose for being here, though it's hard to see it sometimes.

Like many have said, pets to love and people to share with really help too...

Thank you for telling your experiences.

11-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Thank you Mahayana. I do appreciate that. Things are better for me now, though my daily life is more difficult these days in many ways, I am handling everything one day at a time. The serenity prayer helps me through each day. I am thankful to be alive to enjoy my family and my April.:)

Relentless
11-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I was depressed from about age 10 to age 16, I had a really neglective mother.

Vio&Juni
11-27-2003, 09:17 AM
I have to agree that people over-use the term, but we still have a long way to go in order to accept what it really is.

I have and have had close relatives with severe depression. My aunt had severe depression for almost a year. When she went to the doctor, he told her "Just go home, woman! You don't have anything." She jumped off a bridge in front of a train 5 years ago, two days after her 41st birthday. My other aunt was depressed for two years and she got over it with - you will not believe - sports and painting.

I think I am a happy person, though I have my sad moments as anybody else. I just try to not sink in my self-pitty and bad mood, but also not denying the reason for being upset. Analyzing yourself, your reasons for acting one way or another, looking for what could improve your mood or your life, and taking your responsibilities to other people to the fullest helps a lot.

trayi52
12-08-2003, 01:57 AM
*Bump*