PDA

View Full Version : I think I have to call dog control...

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 03:37 PM
There is this american cocker spaniel on our road that has been driving us nuts for the past many months. She comes over all the time and poops in our yard and garden, eats the cat's outside food and water, digs in the garden, etc. My grandma had left a bag of dog food outside only to find out the next morning that it had been ripped open and dog food was spilled everywhere. On Halloween, the dog was running around the neighborhood drinking out of frozen mud puddles. She's always running around the streets. She is dirty with mats all over. The other day I was walking Timber and she ran onto the road barking at us and almost got hit by a car. The car was beeping and the dog wouldn't move and I was afraid Timber would lunge to try and play and that the dog would attack, so I had to kick at it so it would get out of the car's way and keep away from Timber. I don't enjoy kicking dogs, and I'm tired of having to chase it back to it's house all the time. When the owners bother to do anything, it's tied up in the front yard, or in the backyard where you can't even see it because the grass is hip-high. I've talked to the owner once, saying that he should keep his dog in his yard before she gets hit by a car. I didn't really push him or say that I'd call animal control. Should I give him another warning, or should I just call animal control and let him deserve what he gets? He obviously doesn't deserve to have a dog if he's going to let it roam the streets, but my conscience keeps getting in the way.. :o

What do you think?

Samantha Puppy
11-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Get that dog to a shelter so that it can be rehabilitated and put with someone who wants the responsibility of owning a pet.

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, I wouldn't call the shelter, I'd call animal control. They take care of issues like this, the Spca would never take a second look. I'm mostly just afraid that no one would want her since she looks to be around 7 or 8 years old, and she isn't trained.

Samantha Puppy
11-07-2003, 03:57 PM
You don't know of any type of dog rehabilitation around you? At least then she might be able to get some training and get placed in a foster... Animal Control wouldn't do a thing besides trap it, take it to the pound, leave it there for a week or so, and then euthanize her... Poor pup... :(

I don't know. If I were you, I'd probably look in to every option possible to keep her out of the pound and get her rehabilitated. I know she's not your responsibility, I just would hate to see a dog that's been neglected her entire life and then be put down because of it...

Amber
11-07-2003, 04:43 PM
I would call a animal control, because that owner is mis treating the dog. He shouldnt be letting it roam and that kind of stuff. The owner needs to be arretsted for animal neglet. and get that dog to a better home. :)

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
You don't know of any type of dog rehabilitation around you? At least then she might be able to get some training and get placed in a foster... Animal Control wouldn't do a thing besides trap it, take it to the pound, leave it there for a week or so, and then euthanize her... Poor pup... :(

Actually the shelter here is absolute Hell. Animal control here will take the dog and keep it at dog control. I have an aunt that works in dog control. :) I guess I will call them...

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:08 PM
I don't want to suggest anything...but I do not regret taking Tasha to that Husky rescue. If her owners missed her so bad, there would be signs up in the neighborhood and an ad in the paper. Now, I know Tasha will have a good life.

tikeyas_mom
11-07-2003, 07:15 PM
I believe that you should call the animal controll, if they love her enough they will go and get her and pay the fee. and if they dont care, then sahe will get transfered to the spca and adopted out after being takin to the vet ect..

petlover
11-07-2003, 07:15 PM
You should go ahead and call Animal Patrol. I mean if it has been weeks since the poor doggy has been running around town. And, it doesn't sound like he's feeding it if it came on your front porch and ripped open a bag of dog food. If you think that the owner will be mad, just tell the animal officers not to give him a name if he asks. I think that it would be the right thing to do.:) That is only my opinion though.:rolleyes: I think that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing to do.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:18 PM
If you call animal control, he may be put down. Call a no kill organization.

tikeyas_mom
11-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Tonya

all the spca's in our area are kill shelters, they put down dogs after having them there for a sertin amount of time, it is horrid I know..

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
the animal control here doesn't put down dogs. The Spca says that they don't, but they lie.