PDA

View Full Version : Should I volunteer?

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 01:31 PM
I really want to volunteer at the local shelter. I just want to help the animals. However, I don't want to be supporting this particular Spca. They do terrible things there.

Once there was a seizure where they took over 50 dogs from Beaverdell. Most of the dogs had giarnia and had to be quarantined, and hardly anyone was allowed to see them since giarnia can be transmitted to humans. Well, the volunteers worked with the healthy ones and decided that they were well enough to be adopted out. But instead, the head guy (who had only SEEN the dogs!!) ordered them to all be put down. After that, he ordered the others (who had recovered) to be put down as well. And you want to know that they did with the sick dogs behind the volunteers' backs? They bred them! And sold the puppies! And they put down all the adults, even though the volunteers said they were adoptable, and the public was aware of this and had their names on the waiting list! :mad: And not only that, the dogs weren't put down by a vet, they were put down by a senior that worked at the Spca (I heard that was illegal??)

The place is discusting. It smells terrible, all of the cats look sick, the dogs don't have any blankets; they all lie on the cement. I watched a worker try to put drops in a dog's ear and he gave up two seconds later when the dog pulled away. They don't even try to keep the social small animals in pairs. There's a puppy mill in Westbank and people keep calling in and telling them but they haven't even gone over there yet, they just keep saying that they haven't had enough people to complain to go over there (Jynnelle's friend got a golden that came from the mill that died of parvo shortly after :( ).

I really want to help the animals, but this is the only shelter in Kelowna. I'd have no choice but to work there. Do you think I can make a change though? I'd hate to make a commitment and then break it off shortly after because I couldn't handle it. Maybe I should just walk dogs, that way I wouldn't have to be around to see anything terrible. I don't weant to support what they do. They rescue dogs from abuse, but keep them in an environment that is only minimally better until they get adopted. And some don't get adopted. They used to say that they don't PTS animals unless they were sick, but it seems they've broken that rule in the past.

What should I do? Should I support this by volunteering? Volunteering would be really bittersweet. :confused:

moosmom
11-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Wolfsoul,

That's a tough call to make. Isn't there a rescue organization you can volunteer with instead?? Volunteering at the SPCA would be helping the animals, but if the conditions are THAT deplorable, I'd look elsewhere.

Do you know for a FACT that this incident happened. If so, and you are ABSOLUTELY 100% SURE that it did happen, I'd contact the news media. There is nothing more powerful than the media to get the public's attention and also make the town's politicians look like fools for letting it happen right under their noses.

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Wolfsoul,

That's a tough call to make. Isn't there a rescue organization you can volunteer with instead?? Volunteering at the SPCA would be helping the animals, but if the conditions are THAT deplorable, I'd look elsewhere.

Do you know for a FACT that this incident happened. If so, and you are ABSOLUTELY 100% SURE that it did happen, I'd contact the news media. There is nothing more powerful than the media to get the public's attention and also make the town's politicians look like fools for letting it happen right under their noses.
There is a collie rescue, but I believe that it is small and doesn't take in volunteers. I can try asking though. :)

Yes, I'm sure that this happened. Naturally it enraged the public and so the media covered everything. The only people who seemed unconcerned were the people with the Spca. After this happened, most of the volunteers quit. There was this website where some volunteers explained in detail their sadness and anger at the situation. I'll see if I can find it again..

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 03:26 PM
I found it, but make sure you read through the entire thing, because some people posted what the Spca told the public, but then it was confirmed to be lies as it went along. It makes me sick what they did. They even lied that the dogs were vicious. I saw the dogs, none of them were vicious, they were all very friendly, and everybody knew it because the volunteers took them to the park as much as possible to show the public that the dogs had wonderful personalities.

http://www.animaladvocates.com/cgi-bin/newsroom.pl/noframes/read/2066

binka_nugget
11-07-2003, 08:18 PM
I was just going to suggest the collie rescue. I'm sure she could use a hand with something. She told my mom that she's been really busy lately so it's worth a shot.