PDA

View Full Version : Death to the potplant

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
This afternoon:

4:00 Arrive at the nursery to buy a nice plant for my bedroom
4:45 Finish interrogating the clerk about the safety of the plant around cats
5:50 Pay for purchase ( HUGE Areca Palm), along with pebbles, a nice pot and some potting soil; drive home
6:00 Finish re-potting new plant into new pot, water and carry into the house
6:05 Go into kitchen to make coffee
6:08 Walk back into lounge to find new plant totally destroyed, and neither cat anywhere in sight!!!
6:10 Throw new plant away and make a promise to buy a FAKE one next time!!!

That's a new record, even for my house - 10 minutes from arrival to destruction
:rolleyes:

ramanth
11-07-2003, 01:19 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
NAWTEE KITTIES!!!!

RIP plant :( (I'm suddenly reminded of the Garfield comics concerning flowers... :) )

Logan, over time, destroyed the plant I recieved from my Grandpa's funeral. :(

K & L
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the chuckle today, I needed it!

sirrahbed
11-07-2003, 01:25 PM
:D No pictures??? Funny story!! Sorry about the plant though...

slick
11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
RIP little Palm. You were loved for the short time you were here with us. Have fun athe RB :( :(

RedHedd
11-07-2003, 01:31 PM
OMG! How huge was it? I have a 6' Palm in my bedroom that the cats love to chew on, but it's too big for them to knock over. RIP plant and thanks for the chuckle ;)

LoudLou
11-07-2003, 01:41 PM
So sorry to hear of the early demise of your new house plant... Are you sure it was the cats? ;) Read AmberLee's great thread on the suicide of house plants... :)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7700&highlight=suicidal+plant

RICHARD
11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
lolololol....

For a second there I was a bit confused....

Potplant?????:eek:

I would like to challenge that record.......
I think the cats are being cheated out of the correct time....

Technically, YOU found the plant at 6:08 with no
cats in sight....I tend to believe that they finished around 6:07:50, saw what they did, heard you walking by and decided to leave.......a process that takes about 10 seconds.

So the real record, adjusted for 'realization, time to panic and finding a hiding place' is
Seven minutes and 50 seconds.

A new world's record.
;)

popcornbird
11-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Oh.........poor poor plant! NAWTEE KITTIES!

:(:(

:p

jenluckenbach
11-07-2003, 01:55 PM
I see your fatal mistake in this one simple sentence:

6:05 Go into kitchen to make coffee
NEVER TURN YOUR BACK !!! :eek: :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-07-2003, 02:00 PM
RedHedd - it was around 5 ft (and you know what a premium price you pay for "ready-grown" plants - I don't have the patience to wait for them to get to an impressive size - I just buy them big)!

Loudlou - unless my cats were trying to perform mouth-to-mouth or the Heimlich then I think they are definately guilty. Evidence in the form of paw-prints was found at the scene of the crime.

I sat them down and gave them a good talking-to...... Ally apparently had better things to do than listen (like clean her nether-regions) and Connor CAN'T hear what I am saying, so he just sits with his head cocked to one side and looks confused:confused:

Richard - I stand corrected - The time from arrival to departure was indeed 9 minutes and 50 seconds - definately a new record!

PS - you were confused by "potplant" - am I speaking my strange non-American English again??LOL

jenluckenbach
11-07-2003, 02:10 PM
potplant sound a bit like a marijuana plant to us. :eek: You meant potted plant.....hee hee ;)

catlover4ever
11-07-2003, 02:11 PM
OOOHHH NAWTEE!!!:o I have to agree that 9:50 is a new record. I have been somewhat lucky, usually the furkids only go whizzing through the house and knock over the plants, although my RB Tony used to like to DIG in the plants, he never did his business in them, just had the urge to dig in them. I occasionally find Smokey eating the leaves (no poisoness ones in my house), then of course he immediately throws up on the rug. He learns his lesson for about a week or two.

Poor Connor, being deaf, I wonder what he is thinking when you give them a "talking to". ;)

Craftlady
11-07-2003, 02:11 PM
:D :) I needed a good chuckle today, thanks :)

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Goodness!!!! In today's threads we have advise about positions in bed and marijuana plants...what's next?????? We may need censorship on the cat board!

(Where's John Ashcroft when you need him????)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Goodness!!!! In today's threads we have advise about positions in bed and marijuana plants...what's next??????

Really, I thought this was a family site! :eek: :eek:

So sorry about your plant Ally's Mom. I can't believe they trashed a plant that big in that short of time, and you didn't hear anything?!!?! :eek:

Naw-tee kitties! (good story though) ;) :D

PayItForward
11-07-2003, 02:45 PM
LOL...Poor Pot Plant :( :D

Kirsten
11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your plant!

But couldn't help it, it made me laugh to read about that... :)

Kirsten

BastetsMum
11-07-2003, 04:05 PM
May the palm rest in peace. They really should legalise plant euthansia.

By the way, I have witnessed fake plants suicide as well. Tragic scene. Its like they jump.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Bad kitties! I'm sure your plant will be waiting for you at rainbow bridge. ;) Plants don't survive in my house either.

wolfsoul
11-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Wow, the name of this thread sure has some potential. :p

Naughty kitties! Luckily Sara has never destroyed any plants. She keeps focused on the dog instead. :rolleyes:

CatDad
11-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
lolololol....

For a second there I was a bit confused....

Potplant?????:eek:

Samething popped into my head when I first saw the subject line. That'll teach me to make assumptions.:rolleyes

I got a real kick out of the suicidal plant thread. :D:D:D

I too have had plants commit the awful act. I had a catnip plant that was obviously too depressed to live. He went but he could not do it all at once, he went slowly, one or two branches at a time. I know the Bob tried to console him, because I saw him loving on the plant, but the plant could not be turned and eventually was just a stub. Really sad story.:rolleyes:

momofcats
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
I too have had fake plants commit suicide myself.
So sad....one day, happy plant home...next day fake plant leaves, stuffing, artificial folilage everywhere. :eek: Mass destruction.

krazyaboutkatz
11-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Wow!!!:eek: That is a new record. I can't have any real plants in my house either because Storm will eat them. Thanks for the great story. :) BTW I also thought the thread was going to be about something else.;)

Barbara
11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Here you can see what happens if you bring a new addition home without doing the proper introductions!
This plant should have gotten a room of his own for at least 3 days. Then you should have used that screened door again so that the plant can see the kitties and get used to them.:D :D :D

catcrazylady
11-08-2003, 09:36 AM
This whole thread is a HOOT!!!
Sorry about the plant but the story is so funny!!
No live plants in this house! A couple of silk trees that are now amputees though!!;) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

bisi.cat
11-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
potplant sound a bit like a marijuana plant to us. :eek: You meant potted plant.....hee hee ;)

That maybe explains Ally and Connors quick action!!! Maybe they thougth they could have some fun with nibbling at a potplant?!
Ally :"So this is a pot plant?"
Connor ."Maybe we should try?"
Ally :"It doesn't taste funny...and I don't feel funny, yet!"
Connor: "Maybe we need some more?"
Ally :"Or maybe it's something in the roots?"
Connor :"Let's dig it out!!!"

;) :) :D

catmandu
11-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Youre not Nawtee Cats , your Meowmis should get you the Cat Grass! Stupid Plants .Only good for peeing on.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Here you can see what happens if you bring a new addition home without doing the proper introductions!
This plant should have gotten a room of his own for at least 3 days. Then you should have used that screened door again so that the plant can see the kitties and get used to them.:D :D :D

You guys are so funny!!! I stopped on the way home from work today and bought a fake one - maybe I should put it in the spare bedroom and rub it with a towel, then rub the cats..............

Also SORRY about the "potplant" lapse of lingo - that's what we call them in Sout Africa, really....:p

Corinna
11-08-2003, 12:34 PM
I too laughed hard I learned long ago about cats and plants. Most of mine are noe hanging ones. we did have a catus issue a couple weeks ago . My fault I totally forgot the tv top was for cats not my plants. after broken glass and cat upset the cactuii are now in the bathroom as they should be (according to Sir Winky)

11-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Guess we are lucky here !! We have several huge potted plants in our livingroom! Both Maya & Inka leave them alone :) !! Great cats, hey ;) :)

CatDad
11-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Barbara

I laughed so hard when I read this liquid almost came out of my nose and the cats looked at me funny. Bob to Joey, "I think dad has lost it, lets try for some treats." :D:D:D:D:D Reading and drinking coffee can sometimes be a bad thing.:o

bisi.cat yours was really good also. All of the stories were great, I just had to comment on these two.

Ally Cat's Mommy no need to apologize, different parts of the world, different language usages.:) It made for a great start to a really great thread. Thanks!!!!

Pam
11-08-2003, 05:07 PM
You have to wonder how many plants end up in the trash in the homes of cats. :) I know when I have plants they must be as HIGH as possible or they experience a very early demise. All I can say is wait for Christmas and the Christmas tree! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
11-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Well I knew what you meant by potplant, it took me ages to figure out why the misunderstanding!! :D

Excellent story. Your cats have become partners in crime in no time!

Vio&Juni
11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Juni already knows how to treat plants. Well, never mind that she seats on my African Violets :rolleyes:

Pichu still has to learn, he's nipping the big dracaena I have.