PDA

View Full Version : Please, anyone have a dog ramp?

boscibo
11-07-2003, 12:18 PM
My dog Bandit is well into his teens, and he has problems getting into the van. I have been looking around on the internet, and there are so many dog/van ramps for sale. Anyone have one, or know a good brand?

We have a GMC Safari mini-van. Some of the ramps are to be used on the side door, and some can be used with the back doors. I like the side door ramp, it won't seem as steep to Bandit. But then I worry about being in a place where side door access is limited.

Anyone have an opinion?

lizbud
11-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Here's a link to a home made type of ramp from a Golden
Retriever Rescue website.

http://www.golden-retriever.com/dog_steps.htm

Believe me, it's very easy & inexpensive to build. I built one
for my dog Buddy. It was a godsend.

boscibo
11-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks - but he has trouble with steps. I'm worried that we will spend a bundle on a ramp and he won't like it, and we'll have to lift him into the van anyway. If Jeff is around, no problem. But iIcan't lift him by myself, and he hates being lifted!

lizbud
11-07-2003, 01:55 PM
The steps are made of Styrofoam insulation panels. They can
be cut to any size you like. Make smaller steps.

boscibo
11-07-2003, 02:31 PM
They'd have to be really small steps, he won't even go up the 8" step into our kitchen or into the other living room. He is used to a ramp, we had to build one to get him into the house from our patio. That is why I'd prefer a ramp-type thing. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks.

CountryWolf07
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
You could always build one.. that's what my dad did.. when we had Benny, our first dog.. it really helped him to get around around easier..

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey Bandit ~

Tell Mom to go to http://www.google.com

and put "dog ramp" (WITH the Quotes) into the Search Box...

You'll get pages of links to look at.

boscibo
11-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Hey Bandit ~

Tell Mom to go to http://www.google.com

and put "dog ramp" (WITH the Quotes) into the Search Box...

You'll get pages of links to look at.

I know - that's what I did. There are so many I was wondering if anyone had a good experience with any particular brand or style. The backend ones seem like a good idea, but the side ramp ones are shorter and not so steep. But I am afraid of driving somewhere and not having enough room on the sides (like at a parking lot) to use the side-door ramp.

We could probably build one, but how to make it attach to the van well enough that it won't accidentally slip off?

I'll admit, I am looking for an easy way out. I'd rather buy something than build (we have 2 more older dogs who are not having problems at this point, but as they age I'm sure there will be more mobility problems), so something sturdy and well-built would be ideal.

boscibo
11-07-2003, 04:13 PM
I just bought the PetStep II ramp. When Jeff came home we discussed it and he thought the longer back-end ramp was the way to go. When we get it, it should be interesting. I hope Bandit likes it!

lizbud
11-07-2003, 05:32 PM
The back-end type entry ramp sounds like just what
you'd need. Especially since you were concerned about
side entry. I don't know why I suggested steps again after
you asked about a ramp specifically.:rolleyes: I was just
thinking that the step size could be adjusted I guess. Anyhow,
I'm glad you found a ramp to try.:D Good luck & do let us all
know how it works out for everyone.

boscibo
11-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Lizbud - it is a great idea. If we didn't have so many projects going on around here at this time, I might have tried to build them, just to see if it would work. Maybe not for Bandit, but for the other two dogs. Rocky is having some problems getting up onto his window seat, I might build a set for him!

lizbud
11-07-2003, 08:23 PM
boscibo,

There's really no" building " to these steps. Home Depot cut
the panels to the size I asked for (no extra cost) & also sold the spray on adhesive needed to glue them together. I just stacked
and sprayed. Geeze, I sound like a sales person.LOL. :D Might
want to print out the info & save it for another time. Be sure all
credit is given to Helen Redlus at the Golden Retriever Rescue
site. Liz.

Sudilar
11-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Killian has The Dog Ramp at www.dogramp.com . At first he wasn't thrilled with it. It didn't help with Shiloh jumping over it :rolleyes: . Once he discovered that it was a lot less effort to get into the Suburban by using it, he uses it all the time. Shiloh still continues to jump over it. :p

anna_66
11-08-2003, 07:33 AM
We've been looking at steps & ramps for Angus since he can no longer get in the Durango by himself. He can get his front 2 legs up, but that's it, we have to do the rest.
I'll ask Mark what he thinks about the step & the ramp (thanks Liz and Sue:)).