PDA

View Full Version : My first cat show!!

sirrahbed
11-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi!! I am going to my first catshow this weekend (Dayton Cat Fanciers) I have been to several dogshows but never cats. I am excited!! Thank you to the person who told me a little about the "protocol" - sorry I can't remember who it was :confused:

I really know very little about the breeds - siamese of course and have learned about Russian Blues and Abys here - my kitties have all been castaways and all basic "cats" I guess. One grandkitty is a Persian. (Marshmallow) I would love to see what the "ragdoll" kitties look like - does anyone here have one??

Can some of you give me an idea of what I absolutely can't miss? Any special rules to follow? (I know - don't touch the kitties!) I LOVE the condo that KAK got - about how much $$ would I need to purchase such a nice piece of furniture? Do people usually allow picture taking? Any suggestions appreciated!! This should be an adventure.- I will be in cat-heaven :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-07-2003, 07:31 AM
You are so lucky - I've never been to one, and we don't have any here in Bahrain! Have a great time and be sure to tell us all about it!

moosmom
11-07-2003, 08:34 AM
sirrahbed,

You absolutely MUST make sure you go see the Sphynx. Ask the breeder if you can pet them, then you'll know exactly how MooShoo feels :D :D. Then take a walk over to the Devon Rex and Cornish Rex. They are basically Sphynxes with wavy fur.

Cat shows are a blast!! Word of warning though...make sure you ask PERMISSION before touching any of the cats. Most exhibitors welcome the attention and the chance to talk about their prize possessions. I showed Moo and my Munchkin at cat shows and loved talking to people about them.

Have fun, take pictures and let us know how it was, okay??

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2003, 09:53 AM
I've found that it's ok to take pics, but to be polite it's always best to ask first. If no one was around, I have taken pics without permission, but if someone is around, it's just polite to ask. But for the most part, people are more than happy to show off their babies.

I agree with Moosmom, you need to check out the Sphynxes and the Rex's. They are definitely different and really neat to see in person.

Here are a few pics of my mom's Ragdoll. I call him Cranker because he is such a cranky kitty. The complete opposite of everything you've ever heard about Ragdolls. :rolleyes:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p64f0ec9c10739cf520ed27f96b352519/fd9ac499.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p2adbf71b10f5f4e51d56fcda04a68a51/fd9ac498.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p5d029c3ab88a539b986aee9681d62cc2/fd9ac496.jpg

As you can see, he's a very beautiful cat, he just doesn't have the personality to match his looks. ;) :D

sasvermont also had a Ragdoll named Gabe who, unfortunately, was needed at RB. If you do a search for Gabe, you should be able to see pics of him. His personality was similar to the Crankers, but he was a great cat and it was a huge loss for SAS and us here at PT when he passed away. RIP Gabe. :(

But you'll have a blast at the show. Another interesting breed we saw at the last one we went to was a Maui something or other. Very exotic looking. But I prefer the big ol' Maine Coones. Big fluffy cats - you gotta love 'em. :D

RedHedd
11-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Oh lucky you! I was amazed at all the different kinds of cats at my first cat show; I fell in love with the Maine Coons. Take pics, make sure you see ALL of them, take time out for some of the judging - it's fun to watch. Cat shows are a true opportunity for cuteness overload so prepare yourself and have fun!

catland
11-07-2003, 04:04 PM
It's not just the cats that are fun. You will be amazed at some of the cages that people have set up for their kitties. The show I attended was sponsered by Friskies so I also got some kitty treat samples and some lids for the canned cat food.

Also, when I went to it there were various vendors selling their wares. I picked up a couple of ostrich feathers for the cats to play with.

Have a great time - we look forward to hearing about it next week.:)

krazyaboutkatz
11-07-2003, 11:53 PM
I know you'll have a great time and please try to take some pics for us. :) If you're looking for cat furniture, you should be able to get a great deal there. I bought my blue deluxe cat condo for only $60.51 including tax.
I went to a Petco today to buy some cat food and decided to look at their cat furniture. There very small cat condo, which was very similar to my old one, was $49.00.:eek:
Have a great time and I look forward to hearing all about your first experience at a cat show. :)

CatDad
11-08-2003, 12:29 AM
I've always wanted to go to a cat show, but have not found one in time to go to. I don't have the same excuse as Ally Cat's Mommy. I live in the seattle area and I know they have them around here.

I hope you have fun and if you get pics, please post them.:D I look forward to hearing about it.

Does anyone know of shows around the seattle area? Just thought that I would ask. I seen somthing about some in canada and am almost tempted to make the drive, but would prefer to go to one around here. Any help would be appreciated.

carole
11-08-2003, 02:54 AM
I have been to several cat shows, and loved every single one of them, I never tire of seeing these beautiful felines.

I attended one not so long ago call the Mad Hatters Cat Show, it was an american style cat show, the only difference I saw was the owners had funny hats on and the cages were very fancy.

Most of the cages have signs on them, if they donot want you to touch their cats, some owners gladly take their cats out for you to stroke, and some will only let you look.

So enjoy yourself, once you have been to one, you will be addicted, its like being on PT. lol.

sirrahbed
11-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by CatDad
Does anyone know of shows around the seattle area? Just thought that I would ask. I seen somthing about some in canada and am almost tempted to make the drive, but would prefer to go to one around here. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Bryan - I found mine by putting "Dayton Cat Show" into google (I rarely read the paper) and it just happened to be soon. I did the same for Seattle and there is one coming up for you too!!

December 6-7, 2003
Toe Tufts and Tails

Showhall:
NW Rooms, Seattle Center
305 Harrison St.
Seattle, WA 98109

Judges:
McInchak, Barrett, Judge, Ashley, Savant, Copeland, Birch, Rhea, Ritzinger
Info:
Dennis & Donna Self, 425-745-5087, [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

catmandu
11-08-2003, 10:12 AM
It is a shame , but there are no longer Cat Shows in the city , where I live and no bus transport to the nearest City Toronto , as the shows are held near the Airport! Have Fun , and please post your pictures! thank You!