PDA

View Full Version : Sad But Necessary

K & L
11-07-2003, 07:04 AM
My husband will take our dog, Roxie, to be PTS today. She's been a part of the family for 15 years now, and a part of the cats lives! She has cancer, deaf, blind, and seems to be degrading now. We've tried to keep her hanging on as long as possible, but now I believe she's experiencing pain. I've been up since 2:30 a.m. with her pacing, panting, and apparent discomfort. This will be a sad day.

sirrahbed
11-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Oh yes - a sad day - but also doing what I really feel is the right thing. About 7 years ago, my old Bert had a large cancerous tumor - inoperable and I could tell he was in alot of pain. He could not even go to his catbox, poor thing. So, I got my daughter from school, and together we took him to the vet. They shaved a small patch on his paw for the IV and I was allowed to hold and pet him as he left the world. It happens instantly with no suffering. I am so thankful that we were able to be with him and think that also helped him not to feel so afraid.
I know this will be a hard day for you!:( Can you put up a little memorial for her in your yard? We have a small cemetery in our yard and each cat has a "kitty" wooden cutout painted white with their names and dates on it and we also planted a pussy-willow there. Maybe you could have a doggie cut out? It is right under my bedroom window - behing where I sleep and that makes me feel better! Take care!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-07-2003, 07:13 AM
I wish there was something I could say to ease your pain. What a blessing that Roxie had such wonderful parents, and a blessing for you too, that you got to share her life.

Taking this courageous step to end her suffering is a burden you will bear, because you love Roxie, and this is one final act of love.

Know that she has a special place waiting on the Rainbow Bridge, where she will run and play again, and hear and see again, until the day you are re-united.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today.

(((HUGS))))

Julie

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, K&L. I know that is such a difficult thing to do.

HayleyRosie
11-07-2003, 07:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Logan
11-07-2003, 07:57 AM
This will be a hard day for both of you. :( I'm sorry that your Roxie's life is ending, but hopefully, in time, your grieving will ease and you will remember all those happy years with her when she was healthy.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you today, and with sweet Roxie.

Love,
Logan

sasvermont
11-07-2003, 08:01 AM
Hugs to everyone. It is going to be a rough day.

Love,
SAS

Vio&Juni
11-07-2003, 08:20 AM
We know you're doing the right thing and you're doing it only for her sake.

I bet the cats will miss her :(

K & L
11-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
We know you're doing the right thing and you're doing it only for her sake.

I bet the cats will miss her :(

Yes they will! Here's a picture I had posted a little while ago. This is Gypsy mothering Roxie:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p90fdecfeb9dff90062391e4336374df7/faef4a54.jpg

kuhio98
11-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry that Roxie's time has come. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

If It Should Be

If it should be I grow frail and weak
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.
Then you must do what must be done
When this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand.
Selfishness might stay your hand.
But on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years
That what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer. So,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.
Only -- stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me.
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you, too, will see
It is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you.
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years...
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-07-2003, 09:39 AM
K & L, I am so sorry to hear of your difficult day and of Roxie's pain. I'm sure you are doing what's best for her. My thoughts are with your family.

catmandu
11-07-2003, 09:42 AM
We rae sending condolences from the Lost Cat Hotel , for Roxie. That is the saddest thing that a Pet Guardian has to do , to releive a Pet of pain and suffering. Prayers are coming from All Of Us!

11-07-2003, 09:46 AM
This must be such a hard decision for you....:( But, you are doing the right thing; Roxie will not feel anymore pain now . there are lots of great friends for him/her at the Rainbow Bridge!!
Take care, okay:)

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2003, 09:56 AM
:(

{{{Hugs}}} to you on this sad day...

Always remember the 15 Years of Wonderful Memories
that She is leaving with you.

Safe Trip to the Bridge, Roxie!

Rest In Eternal Peace...

/s/ :( Phred

catlover4ever
11-07-2003, 10:05 AM
{{{hugs}}} to you and your family. I know that at a moment like this there really is nothing to say that seems to be comforting, but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Meg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Roxie. :(

RIP sweetie, and {{{hugs}}} to you and hubby on such a tough day. :(

Logan
11-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I was just sitting here, reading these lovely responses to you, Lisa, and thinking just how lucky we are in many ways. First of all, we have developed such a wonderful support group with our fellow animal lovers, that we need and want to share good and hard times with each other. And secondly, what a blessing it is that we are able to help our beloved pets on to eternal life when they are suffering. We don't have that power with our fellow human beings, but we can be brave and strong, as you and Kevin are being today, and help our friends.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Logan

RedHedd
11-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Gentle pets and prayers as you walk across the bridge little one.

Randi
11-07-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Roxie has to go, but considering the life he has had lately, it's the best desicion you could make. I'm sure this is what he would have asked you to do if he could speak. No more pain and suffering. Remember the good times and know you are doing the right thing.

It's such a sweet picture of Gypsy nursing Roxie - thanks so much for sharing.

My thoughts are with you in this diffcult time.

Rest in peace dear Roxie.

Hugs from
Randi

K & L
11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Thank you all!!! This IS very hard, but I know it's for the best. I felt so guilty looking at her this morning knowing what was going to happen.

This is a wonderful support group as Logan had said.

Again, thank you for your support.

Kater
11-07-2003, 11:49 AM
May you RIP sweet Roxie. You are making the hardest and yet kindest decision, K&L.

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.
~ Irving Townsend

May you always have the wonderful memories!

lynnestankard
11-07-2003, 12:00 PM
***Hear Hear Logan***

I'm just so sad for you Lisa - what an awful day for you to get through.
My heart goes out to you all {{{Hugs}}} across the miles.

RIP sweet Roxie - all our dear fur ones will be waiting to welcome you to the Bridge.

Don't feel too bad Lisa - I felt bad the day I sent Kisi to the Bridge - but it had to be done - we only do the best for these much loved fur kids.

Lynne

NoahsMommy
11-07-2003, 12:03 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

Please let me reinforce your decision as a good one. They rely on us solely and this is what she needs right now.

I pray that your sorrow lasts only a short time and that soon you can remember only the blessing Roxie is.

Take care and know we're here if you need to "talk".

Russian Blue
11-07-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry about Roxie. :(

It has to be one of the hardest decisions to be made, but as animal caregivers, we have to do what is right for our pets. Roxie was so lucky to be in such a loving household and you were lucky to share your life with such a special soul.

R.I.P Roxie.

PayItForward
11-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Thinking of you on this difficult day :(

Rest In Peace Roxie. :(

You had the best possible parents on this earth, now it is time to move to the bridge to start your next life healthy & happy.

ChrisH
11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Such a difficult but truly loving decision. You are all in my thoughts and prayers on this sad day.

Hugs
Chris

aly
11-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Oh my goodness :( I didn't know you guys had a dog. I just had to put my geriatric foster dog to sleep last month. She was in about the same condition as your Roxie. You never really know if the day you chose is *right* and it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to go through with it. But when the shock and pain starts to dull, you will know in your heart that you did the kindest thing.

My prayers are with you, your husband, and Roxie. May she pass to the Rainbow Bridge peacefully.

jenluckenbach
11-07-2003, 02:00 PM
You will be in my thoughts as you say good bye to Roxie.

slick
11-07-2003, 03:28 PM
A sad day indeed :( :( May you find comfort in know that Roxie will be at peace now and romping happy and healthy at the RB. Roxie, don't forget to look up Toshie, he will help you along the way.

Hugs to you K&L.

K & L
11-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Well she's gone. My Roxie's gone. RIP sweet baby.

slick
11-07-2003, 05:59 PM
My heart aches for you and I'm reaching out and giving you a great big 'ol hug right now.

PayItForward
11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
{{{Hugs}}} K&L

RedHedd
11-07-2003, 06:04 PM
So sad. I know it hurts now, but you did the right thing, hard as it was. Wishing you fast and swift gentle Angel wings up to Rainbow Bridge dear Roxie. You are missed already. <sniff> :( {{{{HUGS}}}}} to you.

Cataholic
11-07-2003, 06:08 PM
As I have often said, it is the right decision that is often the hardest. You did what all of us should pray for when it is our time, to go safely, compassionately, and with hearts full of love.

Hugs to you at this difficult time.
RIP, Roxie.

CatDad
11-07-2003, 06:42 PM
RIP sweet Roxie, an have a safe journey to the rainbow bridge. Where I know that there are alot of friends to welcome you and then to play with.

This is not alot of comfort, but as others have said before me, you did the right thing and Roxie is really is in a better place. I have had to make that choice also, and I know that it is not an easy one. Hug the kitties for me.

There is not much more to say at this point, besides my thoughts and prayers are with you to hopefully help comfort you.

Love,
Bryan

Steffi N
11-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Rest in peace, sweet Roxie. She will live on in your heart. Please let your family and kitties comfort you.

lizbud
11-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.:( I'm sure the kitties will
miss her also. They've probably been saying their goodbyes
to Roxie for awhile before she left today for Rainbow Bridge.
{{Hugs}} K & L.

R.I.P. sweet Roxie.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p90fdecfeb9dff90062391e4336374df7/faef4a54.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
11-08-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( Now Roxie is free from pain and able to play again at Rainbow Bridge. Try to remember the good times that you had with her and remember she'll live in your heart forever. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. RIP sweet Roxie. Please take care. {{{HUGS}}}

Miss Meow
11-08-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Roxie. What a sad day for your family to lose such a dear friend.

Rest in peace little one.

{{{hugs}}}

ChrisH
11-08-2003, 08:34 AM
{{Hugs}}

Rest in peace sweet Roxie.

catcrazylady
11-08-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm so so so sorry K&L. The tears in my eyes from this thread can't even begin to touch your pain I know. The pain you feel is shared by us all. God bless you and be comforted knowing that Roxie is now in his gentle hands.
Loads of hugs to you at this sad time.