PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!!!!

DogLover9501
11-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Okay well alot of people gave me advice to put Jasper in a puppy socialize class or puppy kindegaren, and I called a trainer around here, and he said it costs $45.00 and HOUR, who can afford that??

tatsxxx11
11-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Are you sure he didn't mean $45.00 for a series of classes? Around here, it's around $50-60.00 for 6-8 45 min. classes.

binka_nugget
11-07-2003, 09:52 AM
That sounds like alot. I'm sure there are more trainers around you're area. We paid $90 for 8 one hour sessions for Kai's first set of obedience classes. Our current set with a different trainer charges $110 for 10 sessions.

Samantha Puppy
11-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Trainers are going to charge more than larger companies. See if there's a pet store near you that offers classes - it won't cost near what you were quoted. Also check PetSmart, PetCo, Petcetera, etc.

aly
11-07-2003, 01:02 PM
$45/hr is about the price trainers charge for one on one sessions at your home (or their facility). I strongly suggest doing that instead of classes because of the nature of your problems.

clara4457
11-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by aly
$45/hr is about the price trainers charge for one on one sessions at your home (or their facility). I strongly suggest doing that instead of classes because of the nature of your problems.

I have to agree with Aly. There is a possiblity here that Jasper is showing some dominance issues and I think you need a little one on one observation and help. $45 per hour is not a hugh amount when you weigh in the benefits. I paid $90 for a behaviorist to come to my house and it was the best money I ever spent.

Is there anyway you can ask your parents to lend you the money and then work it off? Maybe put together a contract of what you will do to work it off, such as shoveling the walk, mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage, washing all the windows, etc. (I'm just trying to think of chores that I absolutely hate to do and would gladly pay for :) ). Then whatever you do, stick with the contract, because if you don't they will never help you with dog costs again. And remember - anytime anyone loans you money, you must pay it back with interest so do an extra chore as the interest.

DogLover9501
11-07-2003, 05:59 PM
I doubt my parents would loan me the money, they think its too much to spend on one hour, and if they ever did lend me it, it would have to be after xmas

Also we dont have petco, petsmart or petcetra

KYS
11-07-2003, 08:35 PM
I agree the trainer is probably "WELL" worth it, but
$45.00 an hour, is a lot of money if you don't have it. :(

DogLover9501, check your local shelters etc. and see
if they have any information on dog classes or even
your vet might know of someone.
Sometimes Pet shops/feed stores have posting board
with group classes/trainers.
If possible, IF you can not afford the one to one
personal session, try to find a class with a very small group class, or you will not get enough attention from the trainer.
Good luck and don't give up looking.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Jeepers! :eek: I think I paid $110 for 11 2 hour group sessions.

aly
11-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Be incredibly cautious on the trainer you select. If you don't select a good one, Jasper's problems could get worse and you'd be wasting your money. When you call trainers, ask what training methods they use. My personal suggestion is you use someone who works with positive reinforcement only and doesm't use choke chains, etc.