PDA

View Full Version : Urgent

Tonya
11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
The guy that took me under his arm and trained me at work has been battling cancer for the past year. He used to refer to me as his adopted daughter. He is now paralyzed from the neck down. The doctor gave him one week as of last Monday, which would mean this Monday is his estimated time to go. He was supposed to be ok. We'd done all the fundraising dinner, walk a thons, sympathy cards, flowers, etc...last year. The past few months, we'd been all celebrating that'd he overcame it. But then, suddenly, we found out that it spread. Anyways, he's still totally coherant. He has requested no calls or visitors during his final days. I want to acknowledge that I am thinking of him somehow. I never really got to say goodbye because we thought he'd won the battle. But on the same line, it seems really wrong and awkward to talk to someone about their own death. I'm so confused right now. I don't know what to say or do. I was very close to him, but surely not as close as his wife, brother and sons. So it isn't like I want to intrude. I am sure there are hundreds of people wanting to say goodbye, he is such a wonderful man. What do I say? What do I do? Any scripture or thoughts that come to mind? I'm sorry that this message is so scrambled, I am not going to bother to proof read it. Please give me advice quickly. My mind is to cloudy to think. I feel like I am in a horrible dream. :(

slick
11-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Tonya I'm so sorry to hear of this. Is there any way that you can write a letter to him and give it to his wife to read to him?? In that letter you could express all your feelings and how much you appreciated working with him, etc etc etc. Put it all down on paper and don't spare anything. At least that way you'll feel better knowing that he heard you.

What do you think??

Tonya
11-06-2003, 11:12 PM
I've found a card. It was really hard to find one. Because "get well soon" isn't appropriate, nor is a sympathy card since he's still alive. The card that I found says:

When you draw close to God...
with your faith,
with your prayers,
with your heart...
God will draw close to you.
with His protection,
with His guidance,
with His love.
James 4:8

Then the inside says:
Listen for His voice,
rest in His love,
and know all is well
in His hands.

I just don't know what to write in it. My mind is so blank. I cannot imagine how his wife must feel right now.

slick
11-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Listen to your heart and you'll soon know what to write.

If it were me I'd write something like this:

"Too often we forget to acknowledge the friends in our lives and I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for .....blah blah"

Put some appropriate humour in it also like "I remember when....."
and put something funny in it. If I was dying I wouldn't want to receive cards that were all doom and gloom. But that's just me because laughter is such an important part of my life.

Karen
11-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Love transcends all boundaries,
Even that of life and death
So swift I have to say good-bye
No long farewell, no awkward pauses
But love - my love will stay with you
And love - your love will guide me always
A friend is a friend forever, you know
And I celebrate your life, your gifts to me
Your gifts to your wife, your family,
We, your friends and the world
And remember, I'll remember
You forever.

Death never wins
For love lives on.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Thank you very much.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:41 AM
p.s. Sorry for being such a spaz. I usually have a way with words, but it is amazing how your mind goes blank when time is against you.

kohala
11-07-2003, 08:00 AM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers today, as it is those of us who remain that suffer long after the suffering of our loved ones has passed on with them.
The idea of writing and giving it to his wife is excellent - and let it ramble, it's OK.
Love, Ko

ramanth
11-07-2003, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry I have no advice greater than what Karen and slick have shared, but I wanted to say that you do not need to appologize. You're not being a spaz.

*HUGS* to you.

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Tonya ~

Two thoughts...

GO to the hospital during visiting hours and talk to either a Chaplain or the Charge Nurse for his room. Ask them to announce to his wife that you are there and would like to speak to her (outside of his room). She'll hopefully come out and then you can explain your closeness to your "Other Dad" and ask if SHE thinks a quick visit would be OK. She might even want to ask "Dad" if he's up to it.
Then do whatever they suggest.

IF they suggest a visit is not appropriate;
ask if you could
step into the room (and possibly deliver a personal note),
the next time he goes to sleep...
He'll feel you presence even if you don't speak...

From personal experience -
Chaplains and Charge Nurses can bend the heck out of
*hospital rules* when they see a need to do so.
(A midnight visit, when he's asleep and the family isn't there,
CAN be arranged... you just have to talk to the right folks.)

And as difficult as it may be for you...
Try to attend calling hours if or when that time comes.
It's never too late to say I Love You and Goodbye.

:(

/s/ Phred

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Thank you, everyone. He is no longer in the hospital. They sent him home since there is nothing else that they can do for him. We are all working tomorrow, so a few of us close ones are going to show up at his home and just drop off a care package. If the family invites us in, that's great, but we aren't going to ask because he's already requested privacy.

As far as what to say, I finally figured out what to put into his card. I'll share it with you all since you really helped me to think clearly. Just a little background so you understand the note...our "yard" is what we call the office at work. Payday Fridays were always a blast because Lee ran "Paycheck Poker". We'd all bet money and use the numbers from our gross pay to play poker. Lee used to always give me heck because out of about 30 guys, I won 6 paydays in a row once. :D

Lee,

I am really having a difficult time finding the words to say. It is still so hard for me to believe that you are sick. I just want to thank you for the cheerfulness that you have brought into our yard. There has been so many times that I have had a rough day and your jovial laugh brought my spirits up. Lee, your sunny smile and laugh is greatly missed. Our payday Fridays just aren't the same without your bright smile. All though I want to give you your privacy, please know that I am thinking of you often. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:05 PM
p.s. The care package will include meals for the family, flowers, cards, pictures, and some drawings that Jaden's kindergarten class made for him.

If I find enough time at work tomorrow, I'm going to make a flower bouquet out of our telephone wires. We have wire in lots of pretty colors. Lee worked for the company for 30+ years, so he'll get a kick out of it. He always teased me that out of 30 years with the company, I'm the first tech he's seen make art out of wires. He'd roll his eyes and say "girls!"

dukedogsmom
11-07-2003, 06:20 PM
So sorry to hear this. I know losing a friend must be hard. And to lose one with such an awful thing is worse. I hope he does deside to see you and your friends. I'm sure he needs all the love he can get right now. I'm glad he's at home where he can be a lot more comfortable. Karen, that poem was beautiful.

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
If I find enough time at work tomorrow,
I'm going to make a flower bouquet out of
our telephone wires.

We have wire in lots of pretty colors. Lee worked for the company for 30+ years, so he'll get a kick out of it.

He always teased me that out of 30 years with the company, I'm the first tech he's seen make art out of wires. He'd roll his eyes and say "girls!"

Tonya ~

MAKE Time to create the Wire Bouquet!!

Your Bouquet, and Jaden's Drawings,
will be a wonderful gift that he will cherish.

Rest Easy, Lee!

/s/ Phred

Karen
11-07-2003, 06:33 PM
I loved when the phone company came to work on telephone poles in our neighborhood, because they'd always leave bits of color wire behind - treasure! I can't believe you get to play with all you want!!!! Jealous! Make a few wire flowers for me, too!

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:36 PM
MAKE Time to create the Wire Bouquet!!

I know. I'm going to try my darndest. I didn't think of it until this afternoon, otherwise I would have been working on it. It takes me a few hours usually to make a good one. And we're already driving two hours out of route to go to his house as it is. Technically, we could get suspended for that, but of course my boss has a heart. I highly doubt he would if he caught us.

Tonya
11-07-2003, 06:38 PM
p.s. The story that he is paralyzed from the neck down was misinformation. His vocal cords are paralyzed from the blood clots, but he isn't paralyzed from the neck down. Someone got confused.

Cinder & Smoke
11-08-2003, 07:25 PM
How'd it go, Tonya...?

Was the Crew able to stop at Lee's home?

Tonya
11-08-2003, 10:59 PM
One of the guys I work with, Rob, was friends with Lee's son since he was a little boy. Rob called first, and Lee's brother politely asked that just Rob come and drop the package off. He said things are looking really grave right now. I've text messaged Rob to see how things went. Rob either is still there, or to upset to call me back.

CatDad
11-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Tonya,

I missed this thread yesterday, I am so sorry about this. I doubt I could have added anything that would have been any use anyway.

I just wanted to let you know that I am sending prayers of comfort and love for Lee and his family, and also to you. This is a very difficult time for all involved, be it family or friend.

Nothing much else to say, except.
{{{{{HUGS to all}}}}}}

Tonya
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
He called our boss personally today. Apparently, his larnyx is no longer paralyzed. He can talk again. He is bedridden and they still say he has one week left, but he feels he has more. He officially retired as of Tuesday. He invited us all to his house for a retirement party on Saturday. That just goes to show what a good spirited guy Lee is. I really want to give him a priceless retirement gift. Any ideas?

Cinder & Smoke
11-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
... I really want to give him a priceless retirement gift.

Any ideas?

YEP!!

A Boquet of your Hand-made Wire Flowers!!

You can't go wrong with that -
He'll think that's the Best Gift he ever got!

/s/ Phred

Tonya
11-10-2003, 10:56 PM
I know. I just feel so inadequate right now though. I feel like my bouquet wouldn't be good enough. You are right though, that will be a good gift. I'm going to bring wire home tomorrow and start it. I'll show you all pictures then I am done.