PDA

View Full Version : need potty training tips for a great dane lol

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:57 AM
baby is very lazy, she wont goto the door to go outside to pee and poo, she will just stand up and do it on the spot and then lay down somwhere eles. .. :eek:

last night she pooped in my brothers room and you could imagin how big it was :eek: she is almost 5 months old now and she is VERY lazy..

gimmy some tips on potty training her, she hates her crate and wont go in it, and when she does she barks non stop till she is let out...

any ideas?? :(:( help!!!

PJ's Mom
11-06-2003, 10:02 AM
You have to teach her to go to the door by praising her when she goes potty outside. Take her out when she wakes up, after playtime, after eating, etc. You may have to to take her out every 30 minutes or so until she gets the idea.

Most people swear by the crate. I've never used one, but it may be the way to go for you.

Whatever you decide to do, be consistent and use lots of praise when she does what she's supposed to do. She may be lazy, but you can't be. ;)

Good luck. She sure is a cutie! :)

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 10:04 AM
thanks for the input, but we do take her outside all the time she will got to the washroom in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, she doesnt like going in the yard ... it is sooo weired.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
I agree, if you take her out very often, she won't need to go pee in the house. :)

To get her to like her crate, start associating it with good things. Maybe keep her food and toys in there.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
thanks for the input, but we do take her outside all the time she will got to the washroom in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, she doesnt like going in the yard ... it is sooo weired.
That was with my old rottweiler Zoe. She used to only go in the house. She was never trained when we got her (she was already a year old). So one day my dad left her outside for three hours, and she never peed. Then he brought her in, had a ten minute shower, and when he came out I heard him start to growl in frustration. I went out into the livingroom, and there on the floor were two HUGE piles, and one pee.

Make sure she doesn't end up like that. :eek: It was terrible. My dad ended up taking her to the Spca. :(

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 10:13 AM
I potty trained Nala by taking her out when I thought she'd have to go.

As puppies are very curious creatures, I had my eye on her 24/7, since she tried getting into everything.

Dogs, especially puppies, have to go potty after they've played and eaten. That's when they have to go at normal times. Playing gets the body going, as well as eating (duh.)

So, I'd take Nala out after she ate and after she got done playing with one of the family members or with me.

And since I had my eye on her 24/7 -- I'd correct her by saying "NO" and take her outside if she squated or began to squat.

If she went outside, i'd give her LOTS and LOTS of praise! :)

Samantha Puppy
11-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Samantha peed inside the house once. She never pooped. The way we did it was that we were constantly letting outside all day long - at least twice an hour - and we'd tell her where she was going. "Samantha, let's go OUTSIDE" so that she would learn what "outside" was. We knew she wouldn't do something every single time she went out, but we would stand at the door and when she did, we would praise her by saying "GOOD GIRL!! Samantha went pee-pee outside!!!"

We're at the point now (and have been for quite some time) where if I let her out before going to bed and I see that she hasn't peed, all I have to do is point out to the yard, mouth "go pee-pee" and she turns around and does it. Even now, 15 months after I took her in, whenever she comes in from doing whatever (either), I still praise her by saying "Good girl!! Pee-pee/Poop-poop outside!!!"

EssTer
11-06-2003, 10:37 AM
I had dane....

Soo at this age danes ar very bullheaded and they want to show they character... How I understand she donīt want to go out... but you MUST go out with her and show her, that istīs intresting, it need to do and bla bla bla.... Or later, when sheīll get older she wonīt be duteus and she wonīt listen at you! you must to be watchful! well I think you need to read some books about great danes and need to ask advice to profesional great daneīs owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

binka_nugget
11-06-2003, 10:40 AM
If she soils during the night, crating is the best way to go. She might hate it but if you start feeding her there and making it seem like it's not such a bad place, she'll love it. Kai didn't like it much as a pup but I put him in there at night. I left him in there all night, no matter how much he barked. He learned that barking gets him no where and now, he happily goes in on his own. Think of it this way, would you rather deal with crate training a great dane pup? or a full grown dane? It'll be much easier now when she's still young. Just ignore her when she barks, it'll become alot easier as she gets used to it. If you can crate her successfully, potty training shouldn't be too hard.

isis
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Do you have a bathroom away from where yall sleep? Soemone at the vet said to keep your puppy in there and they won't go potty. Thats what we do with Emma and it works!! We take her out every hour to. Thats all of the tips I can give.:) Good luck!

clara4457
11-06-2003, 05:52 PM
If you don't want to crate train her - leash bond her to you. Keep her leash attached to you at all times. That way everytime she starts looking like she is going to go potty where she is not supposed to firmly say "no" and march her outside. When she does it in the area you want her too - praise greatly (don't forget the treats!!!)

And when I say keep the leash attached to you at all times - I mean even at night. That way if she moves away from you at night, it will wake you up and you can take her out. It will make for a few sleepless nights - but it will aid the housebreaking. :D

lizbud
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Potty training is the same for a Great Dane as it is for any
other dog. You have potty trained your other dogs right? Use
the same method you've used before. The same principles are
used no matter what size the dog.

Shelteez2
11-06-2003, 07:58 PM
gimmy some tips on potty training her, she hates her crate and wont go in it, and when she does she barks non stop till she is let out...

any ideas?? :(:( help!!!

First of all you've taught her that she doesn't have to stay in her crate. All she has to do it bark and you'll let her out. It's going to take a lot to re-train her to that because it's all ready worked for her and when it doesn't work she's just going to bark more and louder trying to get her own way. Try to start making positive associations with the crate.
Here's a link to Crate Training (http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-SpecTrain.htm#crate)

Also a link to Housetraining (http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-SpecTrain.htm#house)

The most important thing is to always be watching her. And remember the # 1 rule for housetraining:
Carry a rolled up newspaper with you everywhere. When you come upon a mess swiftly hit yourself 10 times over the head and repeat "I should have been watching my puppy, I should have been watching my puppy" ;)

Good luck!

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by EssTer
I had dane....

Soo at this age danes ar very bullheaded and they want to show they character... How I understand she donīt want to go out... but you MUST go out with her and show her, that istīs intresting, it need to do and bla bla bla.... Or later, when sheīll get older she wonīt be duteus and she wonīt listen at you! you must to be watchful! well I think you need to read some books about great danes and need to ask advice to profesional great daneīs owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me I have, my freidn is the one who owns babies mom and dad :) as well as 8 other danes..

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by clara4457
If you don't want to crate train her - leash bond her to you. Keep her leash attached to you at all times. That way everytime she starts looking like she is going to go potty where she is not supposed to firmly say "no" and march her outside. When she does it in the area you want her too - praise greatly (don't forget the treats!!!)

And when I say keep the leash attached to you at all times - I mean even at night. That way if she moves away from you at night, it will wake you up and you can take her out. It will make for a few sleepless nights - but it will aid the housebreaking. :D

I'll suggest it..

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 08:21 PM
I'll suggest it..

Who do you need to suggest it to? :confused:

dukedogsmom
11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't call that lazy, it's called being a puppy. And, like everyone else says, if you take the dog out lots on a leash and praise her, then you'll have good results. And I have to ask, has the newness worn off already?

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
And I have to ask, has the newness worn off already?

what do you mean??? :confused: if you mean is she confertable in her new home, well I would say so, she loves Tikeya and oscar.. I also took more pics of her today mwahahaha I will post em once they are uploaded. :p

Logan
11-06-2003, 08:41 PM
And I have to ask, has the newness worn off already?

I wouldn't think that question falls in the line of "being nice".

Jynelle, I think making sure she goes out more often is probably the key. Even if she doesn't act like she needs to go, take her, and limit her access to the rest of the house while you're training her. She shouldn't have the full run of the house until she's able to be trusted with her potty habits and her behavior, in general. Puppies are destructive at times!!! :)

aly
11-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Bear with me, I'm using an old keyboard with sticky keys and just lost a long post I made ....

You guys probably conditioned Baby to barking in her crate. Never let her out while she is barking, whining, pawing the door, etc. Only let her out when she is calm. If she thinks barking will get her out of the crate, then she will keep barking until you let her out.

The crate should always be a positive place with soft blankets and safe toys. You can also play soft classical music.

When you take her out of the crate, put a leash on her and lead her to the backyard (to the same designated potty area every time). If she potties, PRAISE her and treat her and act like she did the best thing in the world. If she doesn't go, lead her back into the house and put her in her crate. Wait 15 minutes then go back and try again. When she finally does go, let her offleash.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Jynelle, I think making sure she goes out more often is probably the key. Even if she doesn't act like she needs to go, take her, and limit her access to the rest of the house while you're training her. She shouldn't have the full run of the house until she's able to be trusted with her potty habits and her behavior, in general. Puppies are destructive at times!!! :)

hee hee, I know what you mean, she always steals my stuffies lol it is soo annoying, but hence the name BAby, she loves her babies ;)... I will try out the leash thing..

Fox-Gal
11-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Just a thought, but try putting the crate in your room next to your bed. I had to do that with Tuffy, so when ever he cried at night I could just reach over and pet him. Once he knew I was always there he stoped his crying. There was a few long nights at first of course, but it worked out.

As to potty training him, like everyone else said, take him out ever 1/2 hour or so. If he doesn't go the first time, take him right back out with in 5 mins. till he does go. Then you can wait a 1/2 to an hour, depending and then do it all over again. After awhile he will get the idea....if I pee/poop I will get to stay in longer. And lots of love when he does go.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:04 PM
ok thanks for the advie fox-gal

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Who do you need to suggest it to? :confused:

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM
who do you need to suggest it to?

Well I do have a family.. They might want to discuss training methods.

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Well I do have a family.. They might want to discuss training methods.

Really?? I never knew that!
I was just asking an innocent question.

I didn't think your parents would care how you trained your dog.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:29 PM
she isnt technically my dog, she is the families and we all take care of her, training included.

aly
11-06-2003, 09:33 PM
I really think you'll have success crate training if you do it the right way. I can elaborate more on how to get a dog used to a crate if you want.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:34 PM
that would be great!! I did check out the sites but I cant puyt babys food int he crate because her food bowls are very acward in size lol.

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm just wondering.... You parent's didn't like that the fact that there was bird mess on their floors, how do they feel about Baby's messes on the floor? :confused:

Just a honest, innocent question -- please don't get snippy.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:45 PM
that has nothing to do with this post. you didnt tell me any pointers on how I should potty train her.. please edit that post to fit the topic, because it doesnt.
I'm just wondering.... You parent's didn't like that the fact that there was bird mess on their floors, how do they feel about Baby's messes on the floor? :confused:

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:47 PM
that has nothing to do with this post. you didnt tell me any pointers on how I should potty train her.. please edit that post to fit the topic, because it doesnt.

I posted my tips a while back, they probably didn't even get read by you.

This does have to do with this thread, as it's about Baby and her potty problems. I could you please answer my question? :)

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:49 PM
I have no idea how they feel..

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:51 PM
I hope they don't feel the same as they did with the birds. I hope she stays around as well as Tikeya & Oscar because I'd love to see her grow up on PT. :)

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 09:51 PM

This does have to do with this thread, as it's about Baby and her potty problems. I could you please answer my question? :)
I don't think that you need to know how enjoyable or beneficial Baby's accidents are to interpret whether or not your information on potty training will be useful.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:52 PM
I hope they don't feel the same as they did with the birds. I hope she stays around as well as Tikeya & Oscar because I'd love to see her grow up on PT. :)

:rolleyes:

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:54 PM
It was just a simple question, there was no need for either of you to get snippy about it, as I asked not to.

I'm sure she didn't even read my post, like I said.

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Ok?:confused: :confused:

aly
11-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Ok, this is a slow process and won't happen in a day.

(For the treats, I would use small pieces of cut up hotdog, or something similar that is really yummy and Baby doesn't usually get).

Start with the crate door wide open. Place treats around the crate and let Baby walk around and eat them. Then start throwing the treats into the crate. Let Baby walk in and get them then walk back out. Since Baby already doesn't like the crate, you may need to stay on this step for a few days. When Baby starts lingering in the crate waiting for more treats, give her some then briefly shut the crate door without latching it. Wait just a couple seconds and open it letting her walk out. Stay on this step for a couple days also.

When Baby is comfortable with the previous step, start latching the door shut and leaving it closed for longer periods (15-30 seconds, gradually increasing). If she gets uneasy or anxious, you may be moving too fast. Just wait until she's calm, let her out, and then backtrack a little.

Eventually you want to work up to the point where you can close the crate door and leave the room for 5 minutes, and come back and she's still calm. You can use stuffed kongs to help keep her occupied. Once she is doing good with this, you can leave the room for longer periods.

The key is not to push her farther than she's ready to go. Go at her pace and you will have success. Something that helped me when I crate trained Reece was covering the crate with a sheet.

Didn't her previous home work on housebreaking or crate training?

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 09:58 PM
It was just a simple question, there was no need for either of you to get snippy about it, as I asked not to.

I'm sure she didn't even read my post, like I said.

again there you go with assuming things, I read everyones posts, since I needed advise about training her to go potty out side...

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Great advice, Aly...

One think I would add though, if it's alright, I wouldn't leave the stuffed kong or anything else (other than treats) in there while she's alone for too long.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 10:02 PM
why ??

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 10:04 PM
why ??

If you're asking me why,
Because she could possibly chew up the toy and eat it.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Why not a kong? I think kongs are one of the greatest toys, especially for dogs to be alone with. They are large and hard, so a dog shouldn't chew it up too quickly or choke on it.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 10:05 PM
she also has a gummy bone, she doesnt chew it much but we incourage her to :).. I could leave her with that..

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 10:05 PM
If you're asking me why,
Because she could possibly chew up the toy and eat it.
I see, but I don't think it'd be much of a problem if the kong is brand new. Once it starts getting old and softer is when I'd be concerned.

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I see, but I don't think it'd be much of a problem if the kong is brand new. Once it starts getting old and softer is when I'd be concerned.

That's true, but i'd be too paranoid either way. It's never worth taking chances.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 10:08 PM
GUMMY BONE!!! lol

binka_nugget
11-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Lol, I'd have to agree. You can never be too safe. I remember cattledogmom saying that her ACD destroyed the black kong. If baby's determined, it's very possible. It's just better to be safe than sorry I guess.

tikeyas_mom
11-06-2003, 10:12 PM
we dont have a kong so its all good lol