PDA

View Full Version : Alerts from the Animal Poison Control Center

Albea
07-26-2001, 12:10 PM
We all knew about chocolate and onions, but these ones are new to me. Jill A. Richardson, DVM, of the ASPCA, says that avocados pose a number threats to a number of species. They contain a toxin component called persin which has been shown to produce cardiac tissue damage, respiratory distress, and mamary gland damage in a variety of animals-horses,goats,sheep,dogs,cattle,rabbits,fish and birds. :eek: Also, macadamia nuts cause muscular weakness, depression, vomiting,tremors,abdominal pain,muscle stiffness, and incoordination. :eek: These symptons have only been seen in dogs. Although veterinarians are not sure exactly what component in macadamia nuts makes them toxic, they do know that other nuts don't cause similar problems. :confused:
This information appeared in GOLDEN TIMES, the Summer issue of the Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue magazine. For more usefull information go to: www.ygrr.org (http://www.ygrr.org)

RachelJ
07-26-2001, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up Albea. I don't think I have ever "shared" these items with my dogs.

Sudilar
07-26-2001, 04:29 PM
It's a good thing I don't share my macadamia nuts with anyone (too expensive, you know). Thanks for the warning. I had no idea.
Sue

jackiesdaisy1935
07-26-2001, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the information Albea, we do eat a lot of avocados and we will be extra careful Perry and Daisy don't accidently get any. Don't eat too many macadamia nuts, like Sue they are too expensive here.
Jackie

lizbud
07-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the information Albea!!!!
I only use avocados in dip form and make sure
Bud never gets any..He LOVES chips w/o dip.
Never bought Macadamia nuts, but never give
Bud any nuts(tiny and he might choke on them)
I too enjoy the ASPCA site. Lots of good stuff on the site.
Tell Carina HI from me.