PDA

View Full Version : Vegans

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Anyone have any info on this? I am doing a report on it and I can't find anything besides they eat poultry and fish... If anyone has some facts or info they can give me... GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit- I changed it, I've been looking and looking and it isn't very popular so I switched sides and am researching Veganism (?) I know there are Vegans out here... come on!

babolaypo65
11-05-2003, 09:41 PM
umm. vegans dont eat poultry and fish.

did you look in the dog house? theres a big thread on it right now (well, on vegetarianism, and there's a few vegans there.... you could ask them).

Kater
11-05-2003, 09:44 PM
One of the best explanations of veganism out there: http://www.goveg.com/feat/nutshell1.html

I'll look for some more sites but this site is a great place to start.

~MORE~
Vegetarianism FAQ: http://www.askcarla.com/ac/tempfaq/FAQ.asp?CategoryID=5&Category=Veg
Vegan Information: http://www.afa-online.org/vegan.html
Why Vegan? : http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/
Promoting Compassion for America's Most Abused Animals: http://www.sentientbeings.org/
Vegan FAQ: http://www.vegsource.com/joanne/qa/archive.htm

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
umm. vegans dont eat poultry and fish.

did you look in the dog house? theres a big thread on it right now (well, on vegetarianism, and there's a few vegans there.... you could ask them).

Whoops! My mistake, I edited the post and changed semi-veg. to Vegan, I didn't realize that part... sorry! *isn't stupid... isn't stupid!* lol :o :o :o :o

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Here's my rough draft, I'll be counting on you guys for correcting my mistakes for my final draft! It's not really good, I am so bad at writing essays. **Please correct me, guys, if I have ANY info wrong.**

Veganism

I'm sure you've heard of vegetarianism. Maybe you've heard of vegans. Here I will briefly supply you with some facts and info about the vegans, in hopes of giving you a better idea of what goes on in a regular vegan diet.
Here's a few facts. In Wisconsin alone, 39% of all animal abuse cases are by neglect. Twenty-six percent is from mutilation or torture. I myself am very much against animal abuse, and so is every vegan. Vegans believe it is totally wrong, and vegans eat no meat of any kind, and no products that come from animals, such as milk, butter and yogurt, which comes from cows. Vegans refuse to wear animal products, such as leather, wool and cosmetics that come from animals.
Vegans choose to be vegan because of ethical reasons. They believe killing animals is totally wrong, and they refuse to support anything that is derived from animals. Many vegans choose to be vegan to promote a humane lifestyle. They know that no one is perfect and they try to do their best to make a change.
A vegan diet contains many veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds and legumes. As for getting the needed amount of protein, vegans can do it easily by keeping their calorie intake adequate. Most foods, excluding alcohol, sugar and fats are good sources of protein. As for fat, the vegan diet does not contain much fat. High fat foods are used very sparingly. Vitamin D is not found in a vegan diet. By exposure to sun, vegans can gain the amount of Vitamin D needed to keep them healthy. At least 10 minutes of exposure to sun on the hands and face of an adult can give them the required amount of Vitamin D. Calcium that is needed to make bones strong, for many Americans, is found in milk. Since vegans do not drink milk, calcium is found in many dark green vegetables, tofu processed with calcium sulfate, and many other common foods, such as okra, sesame seeds, turnip greens, figs, bok choy and broccoli.
Zinc comes from grains, legumes and nuts, which are eaten regularly in a vegan diet. Dried beans and dark vegetables are a great source of iron, more often than not, a better source of iron than meats on a per-calorie basis. Iron can come from soybeans, black beans, prune juice, raisins, bok choy, watermelon, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, kale and many other things along the same lines. Most vegans do not need Vitamin B12, but it is very important for pregnant women and children.
Some very common vegan foods are oatmeal, spaghetti, apples, macaroni, fruit smoothies, popcorn, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, guacamole, homemade pancakes, soy ice cream, veggie burgers, pumpkin casserole and many other things! Veganism sounds bad in the beginning, but it's not that bad. Every nutrient is subsitituted. You can still eat most foods you enjoy, by subsituting most things with soy or tofu based ingredients.

I kinda need an ending... I'm stuck. but otherwise...? Don't mind the indentation, I know PT won't allow me to indent my posts.. ;)

babolaypo65
11-05-2003, 10:05 PM
ahh, now I get it. :)

Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
Whoops! My mistake, I edited the post and changed semi-veg. to Vegan, I didn't realize that part... sorry! *isn't stupid... isn't stupid!* lol :o :o :o :o

Kater
11-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
Veganism

I'm sure you've heard of vegetarianism. Maybe you've heard of vegans. Here I will briefly supply you with some facts and info about the vegans, in hopes of giving you a better idea of what goes on in a regular vegan diet.
Here's a few facts. In Wisconsin alone, 39% of all animal abuse cases are by neglect. Twenty-six percent is from mutilation or torture. I myself am very much against animal abuse, and so is every vegan. Vegans believe it is totally wrong, and vegans eat no meat of any kind, and no products that come from animals, such as milk, butter and yogurt, which comes from cows. Vegans refuse to wear animal products, such as leather, wool and cosmetics that come from animals.
Vegans choose to be vegan because of ethical reasons. They believe killing animals is totally wrong, and they refuse to support anything that is derived from animals. Many vegans choose to be vegan to promote a humane lifestyle. They know that no one is perfect and they try to do their best to make a change.
A vegan diet contains many veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds and legumes. As for getting the needed amount of protein, vegans can do it easily by keeping their calorie intake adequate. Most foods, excluding alcohol, sugar and fats are good sources of protein. As for fat, the vegan diet does not contain much fat. High fat foods are used very sparingly. Vitamin D is not found in a vegan diet. By exposure to sun, vegans can gain the amount of Vitamin D needed to keep them healthy. At least 10 minutes of exposure to sun on the hands and face of an adult can give them the required amount of Vitamin D. Calcium that is needed to make bones strong, for many Americans, is found in milk. Since vegans do not drink milk, calcium is found in many dark green vegetables, tofu processed with calcium sulfate, and many other common foods, such as okra, sesame seeds, turnip greens, figs, bok choy and broccoli.
Zinc comes from grains, legumes and nuts, which are eaten regularly in a vegan diet. Dried beans and dark vegetables are a great source of iron, more often than not, a better source of iron than meats on a per-calorie basis. Iron can come from soybeans, black beans, prune juice, raisins, bok choy, watermelon, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, kale and many other things along the same lines. Most vegans do not need Vitamin B12, but it is very important for pregnant women and children.
Some very common vegan foods are oatmeal, spaghetti, apples, macaroni, fruit smoothies, popcorn, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, guacamole, homemade pancakes, soy ice cream, veggie burgers, pumpkin casserole and many other things! Veganism sounds bad in the beginning, but it's not that bad. Every nutrient is subsitituted. You can still eat most foods you enjoy, by subsituting most things with soy or tofu based ingredients.

It sounds good! :)

Some corrections....

Paragraph 1

- Use “information” not “info.”

- Should be “Here are a few facts.”

- Include eggs & byproducts in your list of “products that come from animals.” Examples of byproducts include whey, gelatin and rennet.

-You should specify that vegans don’t use cosmetics that contain animal byproducts. The cosmetic example isn’t parallel to materials like leather and wool that are of 100% animal origin.

Paragraph 2

- When you are talking about fat you could mention that vegans do not consume any cholesterol since cholesterol is only found in animal products.

Paragraph 5

It is spelled “substituted” and “substituting.”

“You can still eat most foods you enjoy, by substituting most things with soy or tofu based ingredients.” This is kind of redundant since tofu is a soy-based ingredient. Vegans don’t only use soy-based ingredients for substitution when cooking and so I feel like this is a bit of a simplification and somewhat misleading. Everyone thinks all we eat is soy! Read some of the links I provided and they should talk about what we substitute for eggs in baking as well as other interesting ingredients vegans commonly use in cooking.

mahayana
11-07-2003, 05:35 AM
Dear ILMAG- the dictionary definition of vegan is:

"a vegetarian who consumes no animal food or dairy products, and also abstains from using animal products (as leather)."

I mentioned in the DH vegetarian thread that I lived for a while at "the Farm" in Summertown, TN. At the time over 1000 vegans lived there, and we ate a lot of pressure-cooker soybeans. And everyone wore sneakers!

The source of B vitamins there was "cheesy yeast", a yellow flakey form of nutritional yeast that was sprinkled on popcorn.

I wouldn't say that "most" foods are a good source of protein. Most of it comes from legumes (beans and peanuts), and nuts and seeds. Getting enough fat is really no problem, as most vegetarians enjoy margerine on their cooked vegetables, and fry things in vegetable oil.

Great topic, by the way!

G.P.girl
11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
well i used to eat pultry and fish but i've stopped eating poultry
and i don't really like fish. so i mostly avoid meat. i can't really tell you much about tham except that they dont eat meat. ( which i'm sure you already know):)

Kater
11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Do we get to see the final draft?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Kater
[font=century gothic]It sounds good! :)
Paragraph 5

It is spelled “substituted” and “substituting.”
[font]

Stupid spellcheck... lol... I checked it! Honest! Second draft is coming soon!