PDA

View Full Version : Well we re-formatted the computer (good thing) but now I have a problem......

luckies4me
11-05-2003, 08:43 PM
For some very odd reason I am no longer able to download the Java Virtual Machine so I can play puzzles etc. I just downloaded it the other day but since we reformatted it won't let me. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? It's really frustrating since most of the sites I go to use Java. Please help!:(

captain
11-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Gonna try help,

Have you changed operating systems? (like moved to Windows XP, ?)

Did you have to buy a licence for it, or is it freeware?

Might not have removed totally from your machine (even tho re-formatted). Does it show up in your programs list?

All Creatures Great And Small
11-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Yeah, Microsoft doesn't provide a Java Virtual Machine anymore because it's Sun Microsystem's technology and they aren't getting enough money from Sun (LOL). When you upgraded they considered that a "new" installation for which they won't support or provide the Java. Here's where you can download a Java machine directly from Sun: Get Java Technology (http://java.com/en/index.jsp) I downloaded it and it works fine.

luckies4me
11-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Yeah, Microsoft doesn't provide a Java Virtual Machine anymore because it's Sun Microsystem's technology and they aren't getting enough money from Sun (LOL). When you upgraded they considered that a "new" installation for which they won't support or provide the Java. Here's where you can download a Java machine directly from Sun: Get Java Technology (http://java.com/en/index.jsp) I downloaded it and it works fine.

Ya I know. That's where I downloaded it from the other day, directly from Sun and it worked perfectly fine, but now today when I try it it won't work? :confused: I am totally confused. Do you think it has something to do with having not installed a Windows update yet? I have it downloaded but when I go to install it, I get an error.

CatDad
11-06-2003, 12:26 AM
I just thought of somethng.

It could be the fact that you have not run the update to XP from the MS site.

When XP first came out it was meant to run with MS's VM and then SUN won there lawsuit and MS could no longer put there VM in, and had to be able to run with the Sun VM. So basically, if the version of your XP is from when XP first came out and maybe doesn't have something that came in later versions or that was installed with an update. OK I admit this is highly unlikely but it could be. What makes it even more unlikely is that it worked for you yesterday. Which means that what I just wrote could be totally useless. Thank you for reading my train of thought.:)

What is the error that you are getting? Better yet, did you install any programs between the time that it worked yesterday and did not work today?

We'll start there.

If anybody has anything else, they are probablly bette then mine.:eek:

lizbud
11-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Catdad,

Love your motto, "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

:D :D :D

lovemyshiba
11-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Catdad,

Love your motto, "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

:D :D :D

lol, me too!!!!

Sorry, total computer idiot here, I can't help you out:o

luckies4me
11-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CatDad
I just thought of somethng.

It could be the fact that you have not run the update to XP from the MS site.

When XP first came out it was meant to run with MS's VM and then SUN won there lawsuit and MS could no longer put there VM in, and had to be able to run with the Sun VM. So basically, if the version of your XP is from when XP first came out and maybe doesn't have something that came in later versions or that was installed with an update. OK I admit this is highly unlikely but it could be. What makes it even more unlikely is that it worked for you yesterday. Which means that what I just wrote could be totally useless. Thank you for reading my train of thought.:)

What is the error that you are getting? Better yet, did you install any programs between the time that it worked yesterday and did not work today?

We'll start there.

If anybody has anything else, they are probablly bette then mine.:eek:

Everything is the same that we had before we reinstalled and reformatted. Nothing has changed. We have all the same programs etc. So.......the other day BEFORE we reformatted I was able to download it just fine, and had to download it again because Dan had reinstalled XP, but didn't reformat yet because he doesn't know anything lol. Then I was able to download it just fine. Then we reinstalled and reformatted the computer and now it won't let me install it. I have downloaded it but am having complications with the install and keep getting different error messages over and over again. It's really pissing me off....:mad:

luckies4me
11-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Ok now it's working! :D Hurray!!!!!!!

The reason why I was so mad is because I have a Java deadline and it's due tomorrow! :eek:

And um, I also wanted to play a Jigzone puzzle. :o

CatDad
11-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Cass,

I am really glad to hear that it is working, that is the important thing. :D I would kind of like to know what you did. If you have time after your your project is done I would love to hear the story.

That's about it.
:D:D:D:D