PDA

View Full Version : Major Dilemma

K & L
11-05-2003, 05:57 PM
My granddaughter just got out of the hospital after a 3 day stay. She was diagnosed with asthma and is not suppose to be around animals. What in the world do we do? They're over all the time, and we love having them. I'm so stressed out over this. Anyone out there come across this situation? If so, how did you handle it?

jenluckenbach
11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
I am sorry that I can't be a source of information for you, but I do want to say I feel bad for your dilema. I will add, though, that I am CERTAIN there is a solution. So don't worry, just do your homework, it will be fine.

Craftlady
11-05-2003, 06:16 PM
I would buy some good portable air filters and place them throughout the house.

Keep up with vacuming so pet dander is under control.

Buy some cotton medical masks. Have a mask decorating party to make it special, make it a fun game to wear a funny mask or fashionable one at grandmas house.

Uabassoon
11-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Masks are a great idea, I use them when around the house when I clean since I'm allergic to everything. I also use them when I brush the kitties so that I don't get too much dander in my face. I think decorating them would be fun for your granddaughter.

boscibo
11-05-2003, 06:33 PM
I know there are people out there who are severely allergic to cats but still own them. Medicines have come a long way in treating asthma.

Uabassoon
11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
I use Zyrtec which seems to help a lot, I'm also on a nasal spray called nasacort which works great.

Lorraine
11-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I hope your granddaughter is feeling better. That is a situation. I also think that the mask idea sounds great. I think that the doctors may also give your grandaughter some allergy medication,bacause asthma often times is triggered by allergies, which also will help her when she is at your place. good luck!

carole
11-05-2003, 06:40 PM
I am one of those allergic people, who is allergic to cats, now proud owner of two., however asthma I donot have except now as I am older and in the winter.

I think what craftlady suggested was brilliant.

Is there anywhere you can put the pets in safety whilst they visit, unfortunately animals often trigger an attack.

you can only do your best to alleviate her symptons, when she visits, otherwise maybe you will just have to do most of the visiting.

Good luck.

Soledad
11-05-2003, 06:40 PM
How about you guys just make it a point to go over to their house?:confused:

K & L
11-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions! I do like the mask idea and will attempt this. I have a spare bedroom and bath where I do not allow the cats for guests who have allergies. We have no carpet, just pergo flooring, which also helps. I vacuumn every day, and have scat mats on the furniture so there is no hair there. I don't know what else I can do. My husband said we will talk to the Dr. about shots for these type of allergies. As far as us just going over their place, we can do more of that, but I babysit daily until the parents are home and they LOVE coming over here. They spend the night at least one night every weekend, and I can't walk through this door before the phone rings and they ask to come over. They live around the corner so it's all so convenient. The sad part is Karley, the sick one, is the one that loves the cats the most. She knows all their names, has her favorites, and goes with Kevin as much as she can to feed the park cats. *sigh* I sure hope this all works out. This has not been a good month for us. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

carole
11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
I certainly understand your worry and concern for your grandaughter Karley, I just wanted to re-assure you, my best friends daughter is asthmatic, and has been in hospital many times, she has three cats. However she continues to be fine, she is older now, and although she has allergies, she pats the cats, and her life is pretty well normal, with no hospital visits these days.

I'm certainly not recommending people with asthma should rush out and get lots of fur-balls, because I do think it is probably detrimental to their well-being in the long run, but I just wanted you to know it can be managed, and with all the things you plan to do I am sure Karley will be just fine, you will just have to monitor the situation, I really think she will still beable to pat the kitties, and not be completely segregated from them.

I have been exceptionally lucky, by accident I obtained my first cat, and well to cut a long story short, somehow I have managed to desensitise myself, by having the two of them, before if I entered my mothers home, even if the cat was not there, I would be sneezing, have swollen eyes, throat , the works, now I live happily with them both, and my little one sleeps on the bed at night time, so you see anything is possible.

However Asthma is more serious, my son has had it all his life, we never had cats until 4 yrs ago, he loves my older cat and always pats him and even has him in his caravan at nights, whether it makes his asthma worse is a question we have to ask ourselves,but as he is an adult now, its his choice.

I really wish you well, and hope everyones suggestions and advice do help.

What I Love to read most about your story , is the wonderful interaction you have with your grandchildren, they are truely blessed.:)

Uabassoon
11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
If you were my grandmother I would want to come over all the time too so I could play with the kitties :)! Hopefully something can be worked out so she can still come over.

catcrazylady
11-05-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm sure that this will all work out. Hopefully, since she has already been around cats so much they won't trigger any kind of reaction for her. The mask idea is great and I'm sure you will come up with a solution that will make your granddaughter, the cats, and you happy. It will work out somehow. It always does! Prayers and good thoughts coming to all of you from me and my nine!

CatDad
11-05-2003, 11:58 PM
You know, I really wish that I had the answer, but I have absolutely nothing too add that will help you.:o

Some of the suggestions seem really great, and I hope that something works or that the doctor may be able to help.

What I really wanted to say was that I send my prayers and support and that I am sure something will be found.;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-06-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by carole

I have been exceptionally lucky, by accident I obtained my first cat, and well to cut a long story short, somehow I have managed to desensitise myself, by having the two of them, before if I entered my mothers home, even if the cat was not there, I would be sneezing, have swollen eyes, throat , the works, now I live happily with them both, and my little one sleeps on the bed at night time, so you see anything is possible.

Thats true - you can de-sensitise yourself. YEARS ago I would visit my in-laws, ans as soon as I walked in the door my eyes would get red and puffy etc etc. Then due to some family problems, we had to share our house with them for a while, and over time my reaction became less and less, until I now snuggle up and sleep with kitties.

I think decorating the masks is a great idea. Also the fact that you don't have carpets or "hairy" furniture will definately help.

Let us know how things progress. you sound like a GREAT GRANNY!!!

K & L
11-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by carole

What I Love to read most about your story , is the wonderful interaction you have with your grandchildren, they are truely blessed.:)

Thank you so much! We love the grandchildren and make time for them almost daily. We take them with us almost everywhere. I also thank you for your input on asthma. Yes, this is very serious. She was rushed into ER because she wasn't breathing. I sure hope this all works out. She came over last night for about an hour, ate some dinner, and then we took her home. We're hoping short bouts of interaction will be OK. We will do all we can to make this work. If worse comes to worse we'll have to extend the cat run and they'll all have to be outdoors when she's over.

Thank you all for your responses.

Edwina's Secretary
11-06-2003, 07:55 AM
I have asthma and cats induce it. It took a while (and two emergency room visits) but I haven't had a problem now for three or four years. I have even weaned myself off the daily use of antihistamines -- although I still need them at times.

I wash my hands alot, never touch my face -- especially my eyes or nose -- after petting a cat. I avoid having the cats too near my face. Lying prone also makes it harder to breathe. Long haired cats cause me more problems than short hair.

It can be done!