PDA

View Full Version : 1st Boyfriend

petlover
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Hallie has a boyfriend!!!! I can't believe it! Hallie met a black pomeranian last night and they fell in love.:rolleyes: It is her first!!:D Well, here is the problem, Hallie is not spaded. We don't want to breed her because we do not want her to get hurt or something. We can't spade her right now anyhow. We really don't want her to get pregnant from a differant breed of dog. They like each other so much and I don't want to keep them apart. It would ruin Hallie. And I do not want her to get pregnant. What should I do?

Logan
11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
I think you answered your own question! :) Keep her away from other dogs, especially males, until such time you can have her spayed. It will be better for everyone!!! :)

edit: Sometimes my spelling embarasses me!! :o

petlover
11-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Are you sure? I mean, I don't want to upset Hallie, or maybe even break her heart. You know how it is. Pets don't understand. Even if I told her it would only be a little while, she just wouldn't understand. I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

primabella
11-05-2003, 01:31 PM
How young is Hallie? I would just keep the dogs separated until she is old enough (I would say 6 months is good) to get spayed. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I think you answered your own question! :) Keep her away from other dogs, especially males, until such time you can have her spade. It will be better for everyone!!! :) Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

You should have her spayed before her first heat - it reduces the chance of cancer drastically. And check with your vet - if you don't have the money right now, they may take installments instead of just one large lump sum.

Also, it seems that you are taking on a lot of the responsibility of your pets yourself. While that is admirable, a child (not putting you down, but you are young) cannot think of everything nor can you afford it, so maybe you could ask them to help out a little... just a thought.

lizbud
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by petlover
They like each other so much and I don't want to keep them apart. It would ruin Hallie.

You are joking, right ?

Logan
11-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Lizbud is right. Hallie is not "in love". I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this, but "she's a dog". Dogs don't "feel" love the way humans do. Cute, but no excuse. Keep her away from her 1st boyfriend until it is safe. :) Responsible ownership is the key!!!!

primabella
11-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Lizbud is right. Hallie is not "in love". I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this, but "she's a dog". Dogs don't "feel" love the way humans do. Cute, but no excuse. Keep her away from her 1st boyfriend until it is safe. :) Responsible ownership is the key!!!!

Very true. While Hallie may miss her new boyfriend she really only misses his companionship or her chance to play with another dog. I seriously doubt there is any "love". Mickey loves to pass by this Golden's house on my street. I don't know if "it" is a male or female but he'll cry all the time...just because he wants to play with him.

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
You are joking, right ? LOL! That too. :D

stacwase
11-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Uh oh.

You really don't want puppies. Puppies are not a good thing to bring into this world at this point in time! Do you know how many dogs are put to sleep in animal shelters every year? If you let your dog breed and then even one of her pups breeds, and then even one of those pups breed - pretty soon you have an awful lot of poor little homeless doggies out there.

You have to be EXTREMELY careful! I know of a female dog who got pregnant THROUGH THE CHAINLINK FENCE! When they want to get together, dogs can be extremely creative!

If it's a $ issue, call your local animal shelter. They might be able to point out some inexpensive places to have her spayed, or give you a coupon or something.

The damage which would be done by letting her get in contact with an unaltered male would be much greater than any damage of not allowing her to play with him!

2kitties
11-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Are you sure? I mean, I don't want to upset Hallie, or maybe even break her heart. You know how it is. Pets don't understand. Even if I told her it would only be a little while, she just wouldn't understand. I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

You can't be serious.

aly
11-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
You can't be serious.

Give her a break and explain nicely instead of posting something like that :) She's young and does believe what she said. Just like we all believe certain things when we're younger until we learn otherwise.

carole
11-05-2003, 03:06 PM
As soon as she is old enough, you should have her spayed, its cute when you see pets liking one another, and those puppies they can produce are even cutier, but the responsible thing to do is spay her as soon as possible, good luck.

petlover
11-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Well, Hallie is 4 years old. It is not that we do not have the money, it is just that we don't have the money for all 5! We have 5 dogs that need to be spaded we want to take more than 1 in a a time. The 2 main reasons why I don't want her prenant is because some animals lose their life while giving birth and there just aren't enough homes for them all. The last thing the world needs right now are more puppies. Thanks for the info otherwise. I have to go groom Hallie.

Desert Arabian
11-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Well, Hallie is 4 years old. It is not that we do not have the money, it is just that we don't have the money for all 5! We have 5 dogs that need to be spaded we want to take more than 1 in a a time. The 2 main reasons why I don't want her prenant is because some animals lose their life while giving birth and there just aren't enough homes for them all. The last thing the world needs right now are more puppies. Thanks for the info otherwise. I have to go groom Hallie.

I do not mean to be harsh towards you by anymeans (!!)....

Why did you get the 2nd,3rd,4th,and 5th dog before the first one was spayed/neutered? When you buy dogs you have to take into account the price of getting them neutered/spayed. You shouldn't "stack up" a bunch of dogs, and wait until you get enough money to neuter/spay them. Rather, you should save up the money, then get the dog, then get it spayed/neutered right away-if it is old enough.

(That was just a question that popped into my head, so I thought I would ask. :) )

wolfsoul
11-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Have you checked if the other dog is neutered? If he is, there shouldn't be a problem.

However I have to agree with YLL that the importance of getting a dog altered and possibly saiving a life is more important than getting more dogs. Maybe you could get a job and work towards fixing the dogs? You have no idea how much money it will save in the long run. It will also solve behavioural issues. Unspayed females all together can be unpredictable.

carole
11-05-2003, 03:41 PM
I think it is your parents we should be talking to, as one they are financially responsible for the dogs, as you at 13 are not, its a pity they kept getting dogs. they should have spayed or neutered each one before moving on to another pet.
I cannot express enough how important it is for these procedures to be done.

tatsxxx11
11-05-2003, 03:46 PM
My thoughts exactly Carole:) It is the parents we should be addressing these questions too, not a 13 yr. old child. But in the meantime, Petlover, it is very important that you not allow Hallie to have a playdate with her doggie pal unless/until one of them is spayed. Hallie will understand;) And you are SO right!! There are far too many homeless, unwanted animals in this world already:(

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2003, 03:47 PM
I'd like to know where you're getting these puppies/dogs from. A lot of places now won't even allow adoptions to families who already own dogs unless those dogs are already altered.

primabella
11-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Please don't take any of this badly...

I agree with YLL and wolfsoul and also with Carole. You need to consider all costs before buying a dog and since you seem to feel so strongly for spaying and neuteuring, it should really be something that was taken into account before you decide to get a dog.

You need to talk with your parents about saving up your money to get Hallie spayed. It is really important. Also, are all your male dogs (if any) neuteured? If not, this could always cause a problem with Hallie and them being together.

Jordan has a point though. If her boyfriend is neteured, I don't think there should be a problem.

Uabassoon
11-05-2003, 06:09 PM
It is not that we do not have the money, it is just that we don't have the money for all 5! We have 5 dogs that need to be spaded we want to take more than 1 in a a time.

I think you should talk to your parents, if you want to get them spayed then just get one at a time until eventually all of your dogs are spayed. You don't have to take them all in at the same time.
I think it's great that you realize that it is important to get your dogs spayed so they don't have puppies and it's good for your health. Have your parents talk to the humaine society, sometimes they have spay an neuter clinics or they may be able to tell you where the nearest clinic is so that way you can get it done at a low cost.

Karen
11-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Certainly call the Humane Society nearest you, and ask if they know of low-cost spay/neuter programs. It will be healthier for Hallie in the long run to be spayed as soon as possible, and you are a good person to be concerned about this.

In fact, do you have a regular vet? Maybe you could volunteer there, or at the humane society, in exchange for a lower-cost spay for the dogs? It's worth a shot. The Humane Society folks would rather help you, I bet, than risk more puppies being born into an over-crowded world.

wolfsoul
11-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Have your parents talk to the humaine society, sometimes they have spay an neuter clinics or they may be able to tell you where the nearest clinic is so that way you can get it done at a low cost.
That's a good idea. :) the Spca here will spay/neuter your dog, cat, or rabbit for free and let you pay them back when it's possible.

Kfamr
11-05-2003, 06:23 PM
I too wonder where you go the rest of your dogs because down here the Humane Society doesn't allow you to get more than one dog unless your current dog is altered and has all of it's shots. They fix the dogs when they come into the Humane Society.

What sex are the rest of your dogs?

aly
11-05-2003, 07:16 PM
While a lot of shelters are requiring current pets to be fixed before adopting another one, definately not all of them require that. Also maybe she got them from BYBs.

There are several low cost spay/neuter programs in my city. I know Houston has several too. In fact, I could get you the information on one, Petlover.

Moose
11-05-2003, 07:24 PM
You know how it is. Pets don't understand.

You'd be surprised just how much pets do understand. Often times, they understand more about certain things than you, yourself, do. Don't play your dog down like that, she is much brighter than you may think she is.

lovemyshiba
11-06-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you understand the importance of not bringing any more puppies into this world.

That said, I think you should talk to your parents about having all of your dogs spayed. I'm not saying you or your parents are irresponsible, but altering our dogs is responsible pet ownership.
Everyone here has great ideas for you, please check into them, and try to convince your parents it is better for these dogs to be spayed.

As far as the boyfriend is concerned, if he is neutered, they can play together a bit if they want, no problems. If he is not, please do not let them get together. You would be surprised how quickly things can happen.

Hopefully Hallie will understand you, and maybe she can find another dog to play with.

tomkatzid
11-06-2003, 10:47 AM
With four other dogs she has built in playmates.....I would probably put off buying a horse until the dogs were all taken care of, a horse can cost alot for vet bills too, as can the dogs, definately something for your parents to be thinking about....tom

wolf_Q
11-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Not trying to be harsh, but if you cannot afford to spay or neuter 5 dogs, maybe you shouldn't have that many dogs. Please, please, spay/neuter them, especially before even considering getting any more pets. I'm sure Hallie will understand, and she will be happier not having to go through having heat and possible health problems.

petlover
11-07-2003, 02:35 PM
ALL of my dogs are females. Also, we just had 4 spayed yesterday. We had Hallie, Sugar, Cleo, and Ginger done. Only one more to go. That is Heidi. She is not old enough though. Also, we couldn't hold up on buying the horse since we bought it last night at exactly 8:36 P.M. The vet here usually just let's us have things on the house and such. Since I am his best costimer and we bought his old house. I live so close to his clinic that I just walk down there to watch surgeries in his closed hours after he closes. I am trying to learn as much as possible about veterinarian work.:)

2kitties
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
4 spayed- That is Great News! Sounds like you have a good relationship with your vet and are doing a good job with the pups. Give them all a chin scritch from me.

petlover
11-07-2003, 07:31 PM
It is great news. But, getting all of the dogs in the car to go see the VET was VERY VERY difficult. Especially since my mom said vet when we were rounding them up and 3 ran under the bed!:D

Tonya
11-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I mean, I don't want to upset Hallie, or maybe even break her heart.

She'll be even more heart broken if she gets pregnant out of wedlock. :eek: Keep her seperated and/or supervised around the male dogs.