PDA

View Full Version : Doggie TB

Kim
01-09-2001, 01:52 PM
Hi - I have a mutt puppy that is between 12 and 15 years old that has just started having problems. It started with a growth on her eye, then her teeth, then she had a growth on her nose. She first had surgery for her eyes and teeth, then when the thing on her nose grew, and they did another scraping, the vet thought it may be cancer. So, 1/4 of her nose was removed, but the biopsy came back inconclusive! Some type of micron bacteria of an unknown source. Sunday her nose began bleeding from one side, so again on Monday with the nose still bleeding, we headed to the vet. Now they think she may have TB. Anyone else ever experience this? Her nose only bled a small amount today, but the vet says it will probably keep happening. She does not seem to be suffering, and is not coughing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

tatsxxx11
01-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Of course at that age our pups are prone to so many maladys, minor ones as well as the major ones. What "type" of breed combo. do you think she is?? Some breeds are more prone to skin conditions than others. My Jing had what is called a "bleb" on the inside of her lower lid. That's a pretty common thing. Of course teeth problems are quite common in older dogs. As for her poor little nose..Why was the surgery performed before the biopsy came back???? That's pretty radical surgery to have performed before the diagnosis is conclusive. Why does the vet say her nose will probably continue to bleed???? If it's from the surgical site, that is NOT normal. Is it bleeding from the surgical site, or is she draining blood from inside of her nasal passages? Why do they think she has TB? Was she tested for TB? Chest Xray done? What are the symptoms that lead your vet to think it's TB? Sorry to ask so many questions. Just trying to sort out the info. I have never heard of a dog having TB. Was she exposed to someone, another animal with TB? You definitely should continue to follow your vet's advice. And when in doubt about anything going on with your pup, ASK QUESTIONS!!! That's what they (vets) are there for! You sound like a very caring, loving person to your pup and I hope for the best. Please let us know. As a nurse, I will tell you what I tell all of my patients. If you don't feel comfortable with, or have confidence in, your Dr., if possible, get another opinion. If your vet is a true professional, she or he should not feel offended. After all, it's your BABY!!!Please give your pup a big hug. What's her name?

carrie
01-09-2001, 05:17 PM
Dogs can and do get TB, usually from infected chickens, but they can, I believe contract the bovine form and several others. I'm afraid that's all the info I can give as I've never seen a case.
There was a warning put out recently that cats could be a source of infection for humans - but, as usual with the British Government no scientific research has been done on the issue and it is just a guess. We are killing thousands of Badgers every year on the same information - although it is now an area of research that has certain areas culling all badgers, some not culling none and some culling only suspect animals in contact with cows.
We live in hope that somebody will learn something this time around.
One of the theories against Badger culling is that it is domestic dogs and cats that are spreading TB to our cattle herds.
Please keep us up to date on progress and our thoughts are with you, this must be terrible for you.

tatsxxx11
01-09-2001, 05:27 PM
Very interesting info. Carrie. I had no idea that was a means by which dogs could contract TB. Again, a voice of clarity amidst all the confusion. Best wishes to Kim and her pup. Thinking of you both.

ownerof3dogs
01-09-2001, 07:32 PM
I don't want to sound stupid but what is TB?

Karen
01-09-2001, 08:20 PM
TB is tuberculosis - scary and awful and terribly communicable in humans.

RachelJ
01-10-2001, 11:17 AM
My Bailey was 14 when she developed a lump on the bridge of her nose near her eye. The vet wasn't very definitive about what it was, just said that it was in a location where it could not be removed. It created problems with her tear duct which resulted in eye problems. It must have been very painful because she wouldn't let me tend to cleaning out her eye and she had always been a very cooperative dog submitting willingly to a series of alergy shots without hesitation. The vet suggested it was time to put her down, yet because of her good appetite and still being able to take care of herself in other ways, I was not so sure. Of course the problem got worse and my husband and I decided maybe the Vet was right. We reluctantly made the appt. for a Friday after my husband came home from work. Of course I did a lot of crying in the bathroom and still didn't know if I was doing the right thing. Early that Friday morning Bailey had gone outside and come back in and was lying on her dog bed aside of my bed when she went into a seizure. The vet's office was not yet open, so after I dressed, I held her in my arms in the rocking chair. My husband came back home from his office and we took her in as soon as the office opened. It must have been an hour and a half. The seizure never stopped. Apparently the lump had grown to the point that it affected her brain. I always felt she made the decision for us, so in the end I didn't have to make it.

This is not an easy time of life for some of our dogs and hard too for us who love them so much.

Sudilar
01-10-2001, 11:32 AM
Rachel,
My heart goes out to you!! How hard it must have been to see your baby that way! At least she made the decision for you. So very sad!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Kim
01-10-2001, 11:53 AM
Hi! Buffy is a Bichon/Cocker. The reason I am not sure of her exact age is that she was a rescue/foster that ended up bonding to us, well, actually wrapping us around her tail! She has been the most loyal dog ever! My son had open heart surgery, and this dog was by his side his full recovery. Some days she would not go out or eat to take care of him! When they first decided to remove part of her nose, they had done a scraping of the tissue. It looked like cancer and the docs thought it best to remove it as soon as possible, as it had tripled in size just about over night. The biopsy was then done on the tumor that was removed, and that is what came back inconclusive. I had thought that the bleeding may be from the site, but after our trip to the vet, they say it is not, but rather from way up. Her x-rays are clear. The TB diagnosis (which we are waiting on more tests to come in) came from U of NH and Cornwell(sp?) Universities. Our vet was so unsure and the labs were so unsure that he contacted these labs as well. He thinks it is TB based on the results so far and her bloody nose. The tests show a "micron bacteria of an unknown source." Hopefully we will soon have more answers. This is my first experience with a nose bleed and boy, is it hard to control in a dog! Now, if she were only human... But, snow makes a great, soft ice pack, and the clod seems to slow the bleeding down! Thanks to all for your concern and comments. I will let you know when we get more results back! Buffy sends you all a big kiss and her infamous butt wag! (She cant seem to only wag her tail - she has a very long body and when she wags, it starts just behind her front legs...It keeps going and going...)

[This message has been edited by Kim (edited January 10, 2001).]

tatsxxx11
01-10-2001, 05:12 PM
The way Buffy stepped in to care for and love your son during his illness makes him a real doggie hero!! A true guardian angel with fur. I hope your son is doing well now. And of course, we all wish the best for little Buffy. Your very brave family has had a quite a lot to cope with recently and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on your son's as well as Buffy's progress. Big kisses and a labbie butt wiggle back to Buffy from Star and Cody.