PDA

View Full Version : EEK! There's a mouse in the house, how do I get it out?

catland
11-05-2003, 10:09 AM
One of my precious darling kitties brought a mouse into the house. A big one too!

Unfortunately, before we could catch it, it ran behind the bookcases that have the aquariums on top of them so we can't move the bookcases to get to it.

Any suggestions on how to lure it out so we can trap it? Don't worry, our goal is to set it free, but we have to trap it first.

thanks everyone.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Can you buy or hire a humane trap, then put out some nice bait??

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Sherman the cat takes care of any and all mice that make it into our house... we've only had one in 20 years. Anything he brings to us is already dead (except once, when he played with it in front of us...).

catland
11-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Sherman the cat takes care of any and all mice that make it into our house... we've only had one in 20 years. Anything he brings to us is already dead (except once, when he played with it in front of us...).

I don't think my cats will kill this one because it is so much bigger than other field mice that they've caught and killed in the past. I think that they think that it is just a really neat toy.

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2003, 11:22 AM
LOL -- good luck then!!!

wolfsoul
11-05-2003, 11:30 AM
There are types of traps you can buy that when the mouse walks on it, his feet get stuck on the sticky paper. I'm not sure what else you can do. :(

Once when I was little, my dad set a mouse trap in the cupboard and he heard it snap. He told me to come look and just as I did the mouse's eyes popped! Of course I didn't know what to think then lol. My dad is such a meanie.

slick
11-05-2003, 11:32 AM
A couple of years ago my friend has 2 micies in her house and she had no pets. So I bought some humane traps and was successful in catching them both. The only trick is to make sure the bait is really fresh. Keep changing it regularly. We used some stinky cheese.

slleipnir
11-05-2003, 11:59 AM
I've had many rodents, a few of which escaped from their cages. One got out and hid in a whole so there was no way to get her out! Luckily, my neighbors had squirrel traps so I could borrow one. We put a little peanut butter in the trap and within a few hours we caught her. I'm sure you can buy them somewhere, they work amazingly. Its a cage like thing, with a trigger you put the food on, so went the rodent coems in to get the food, he steps on the trigger shutting the door. Best way I can think of to do it :) And it def works

popcornbird
11-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Traps sooooooooo didn't work for us when we had a mouse last year. It was one VERY smart mouse, and didn't TOUCH the traps! :eek:

We ended up getting those rodent repellers that plug into the wall and make a vibration sound, that we really can't hear, but its a hammering noise to the mouse, so it disturbs them and they run off. We only had one poor lost mouse that couldn't find his way out, so when we put those in every room, he left. Over a year now and no mouse has ever returned. They're great, and you don't have to deal with the mouse like that either. When we put the traps, everyone was saying who's going to touch it, free it, dispose it, whatever..........depending on what trap got it. :o :o But we didn't have to deal with it afterall. The rodent repellers are just fine to use around pet dogs, cats, and birds, etc. but it did say on the package, not to use them around rodent pets or rabbits, etc., since their hearing is very sensitive and it would affect them too. Overall, its great, and no danger to the other pets likes traps or poison would be. Good luck!

catland
11-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know where you find the humane traps? Are they available as some place like PetSmart?

Right now its too cold here to just leave the door open, hoping that it will leave, so I do need to be able to catch it. Are peanut butter and cheese the best items to put in the trap? Are these traps small enough so a cat can't get in it?

RICHARD
11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by catland
Does anyone know where you find the humane traps? Are they available as some place like PetSmart?

You may want to try a feed store! they carry live and 'dead' traps....if all else fails-raise the rent.;)

stacwase
11-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Gosh - I hope the mouse isn't really big because she's pregnant!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

11-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Here's what you do. Put bait near where the mouse is hiding. When you see it come out, quickly put a clear jar with air holes over the mouse. Then go outside and set it free.

__________________________________________________ __

Jeannie121212

Twisterdog
11-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Would you like to borrow a terrier for a night? I guarantee you, no mouse tomorrow. :)

Humane (live) traps work well. My problem with the snap (dead) traps is that sometimes they don't work like they are supposed to. I don't really have a problem with a fast, immediate death. But sometimes snap traps don't kill the mouse immediately, they might just catch it by it's legs, or even break it's back but not kill it. That is VERY hard to deal with. :(

I hope your cat didn't injure the mouse such that it crawls away somewhere in your house and dies. Not to be gross, but if you don't catch it soon, you might want to start sniffing for bad odors. :(

popcornbird
11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Jeannie121212
Here's what you do. Put bait near where the mouse is hiding. When you see it come out, quickly put a clear jar with air holes over the mouse. Then go outside and set it free.

That is soooooooooo not possible! Mice are FAST! :p

We didn't leave our doors open when we got to repellers. He just left from where he came from...........which was a hole that HE made under the kitchen sink! :mad: Once we were sure he ran out, we had those holes sealed..........and he never returned.

Prairie Purrs
11-05-2003, 04:35 PM
You could borrow Kacey and my hiking boots. On two occasions, he's chased a mouse into a boot, and I've come home to find the cat trying to fit his head into the boot with a very frightened (but otherwise unharmed) mouse cowering in the toe of the boot. Took the boot outside, shook out the mouse, all was well. :D

Twisterdog
11-05-2003, 04:47 PM
That is soooooooooo not possible! Mice are FAST!

I was thinking the same thing ... fast ... plus wild and scared!

catland
11-05-2003, 05:10 PM
One thing about our cats - they either kill prey or just treat it as a toy and then get bored. This mouse looked alive and healthy. I put some water out near the bookcase this morning before I went to work.

We tried to corner it last night and that's when it got under the bookcases. I really don't want it to die in the house - in part for the mouse's sake and in part for my sake.:eek:

11-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Popcornbird. (um.... what does that mean? Is it supposed to make sense?). Why do you think I said QUICKLY. Duh. No, I shouldn't have said "duh". That is such an immature word. Oh, well. I shouldn't be mad at you. Hey, I have a question that I only want Popcornbird to answer. Do you know of any good names to name a parakeet? I might be getting one for Christmas. Thanks. And I'm sorry.

Jeannie121212

Freckles
11-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Once we were sure he ran out, we had those holes sealed..........and he never returned.

Use steel wool to seal the holes.

popcornbird
11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeannie121212
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Popcornbird. (um.... what does that mean? Is it supposed to make sense?). Why do you think I said QUICKLY. Duh. No, I shouldn't have said "duh". That is such an immature word. Oh, well. I shouldn't be mad at you. Hey, I have a question that I only want Popcornbird to answer. Do you know of any good names to name a parakeet? I might be getting one for Christmas. Thanks. And I'm sorry.

I don't get it. :confused: What did I say that made you upset? Its true, it isn't possible, because I know from my experience with the mouse that came to our house. We couldn't get in the same room as it without it bolting out like lightning!

Either way...........I'd really need to see a pic or know the color of your parakeet to think of a good name, before I can give suggestions. :)

Freckles, we called the folks that deal with these rodent problems, and they sealed the wall with I don't know what, but it looks like it never had a hole now. It looks like part of the wall.

Ps. You can get humane traps from any hardware store.

Kater
11-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by catland
I've seen them at drug stores. Another place to try might be your local humane society---- sometimes they will rent them out.
Good luck! :)

micki76
11-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
There are types of traps you can buy that when the mouse walks on it, his feet get stuck on the sticky paper. I'm not sure what else you can do

Oh please, don't anyone ever buy the sticky traps! The mouse dies a horrible death on those things. We were forced by mall management to use those where I used to work part time. The mouse will get stuck and in his desperate attempts to free himself, will chew off his legs or worse. :( :( :(

catland
11-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Oh please, don't anyone ever buy the sticky traps! The mouse dies a horrible death on those things. :( :( :(

Don't worry in this case. I don't plan to use a sticky trap. I just want to set it free.:)

dukedogsmom
11-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Those things sure are fast! We had one at work one day and it headed straight for me. Oh man, we were all freaking out. And, one time when I was a kid, my Siamese brought me one as a present and I thought he had rabies!

11-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Sorry Popcornbird. I said I MAY be getting a parakeet for christmas, so I can't show you a picture. But..... if I do get one, it will be blue. (You know the ones with the light blue bellies?). AND. I have another question. I might not be getting a parakeet for Christmas, too. You know why? Because we are going on vacation next year, and we are going to be gone for about 2 weeks, and we don't have anyone to take care of my guinea pig. There is a dog kennal near were I live, so we don't have to worry about having someone to take care of him. So my parents maybe won't let me get a parakeet because of that. So, here's my question. Do you know of any places where people can take their pets to be taken care of? Like a dog kennal, but for small animals like birds and hamsters and rats and mice and gerbils and rabbits and guinea pigs and faretts and other small animals. A place that is in Maine. (I do not really live in Florida, it's just that my mom wouldn't let me tell the real state I was born in.

Thanks.

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Oh please, don't anyone ever buy the sticky traps! The mouse dies a horrible death on those things. We were forced by mall management to use those where I used to work part time. The mouse will get stuck and in his desperate attempts to free himself, will chew off his legs or worse. :( :( :(
Yikes, I never even thought of that. :( I should have known...lots of animals will do that. :o