PDA

View Full Version : What does that name mean????

petlover
11-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Have you ever had somebodyask you what your pet's name is after telling them? Does your pet have a unique name? If so, list your pup pal's name and story ( meaning of name and how it got it) right here.

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by petlover
Have you ever had somebodyask you what your pet's name is after telling them?Huh?
Does your pet have a unique name? If so, list your pup pal's name and story ( meaning of name and how it got it) right here. Samantha. I listed a bunch of names for my then-boyfriend (now fiance) to peruse and he selected Samantha.

petlover
11-04-2003, 03:08 PM
I meant pet's name MEANS not is. Sorry!!!

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Oh. Samantha = "Listener of God"

Nothing unique or special there.

Glacier
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Muskwa means Bear in Cree. He didn't have a name until he was four month old--(He still answers to HEY YOU). He was finally named by a Cree Medicine Man who said that he had a bear spirit.

Earle is named after Steve Earle the singer who his momma is obsessed with.

Heyoka means "clown who teaches through his antics" in Sioux. It fits my Heyoka perfectly.

Hoodoo got his name when he learned to howl at 3 weeks old. His breeder was constantly asking him "who do you think you are?" The first part stuck.

Rio and Me
11-05-2003, 04:54 AM
Rio = Great Brazillian River
again nothing unique but i love my babys name!!!
Ky and Rio

ramanth
11-05-2003, 08:20 AM
When I'm asked what Kia's name is, the most often asked question in reply is, "Like the car?" or "You named her after that car company?" :rolleyes:

:)

Dawn
11-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Tyr's name is unique and unusual.
Tyr is pronounced tear and it is the name of one of the Norse gods of war in mythology. There is Thor-the god of war-the muscle, strength, and Tyr the god of war-the strategist,brains.
That's Tyr-the startegist, my intelligent baby.
I'm a big mythology buff.

binka_nugget
11-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Kai means "Ocean" in Hawaiian. Kaedyn..I'm not sure if there's a meaning.

The reason we picked Kai was because I had just returned from a camping trip with the school and loved my leader's name (Kai-tech) so I shortened it. Kaedyn was just something that came about by fiddling with other names.

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Oreo is of course named after the cookie, because she is black with a "cream filling" stripe down her tummy.

Kona is named after Kona coffee, which was my favorite coffee when I got her.

mpoier
11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
I get that all the time with Ceebers!

Ceebers is actually named after my childhood yellow lab that is now 14 years old - I know its almost time for him to go to rainbow bridge, and I will miss him. Ceebers junior will carry on the sweet love I got from him.

My dad named him - I have no idea where he got it from, but it stuck ever since.

Here are some variations of his name that people use (ha ha):

Ceevers
Seaburst (I don't think he likes this one very much!)

Ceebers knows the sound of him name - so its all good, and I take a moment to remind him that he is a "good boy" and his name is really "Ceebers".....

M

Amber
11-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Katie's name means "Pure"

carole
11-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Lexie is a pet form of Alexandra, and means Defender of Mankind, It is scottish as well I think, I truely love its meaning.

Ash well pretty self-explanatory, he is grey, but he is called after Ash on pokemon.

Marie410
11-05-2003, 05:12 PM
We named my rott/shepherd mix Reebok after the shoe. When we brought him home he curled up and stuck his head in my husbands sneaker which was sitting by the radiator. (how he could stand the smell....?!):confused:

Sampson (our rott puppy) we named after the strong and mighty Sampson from the Bible (I just hope no one cuts my baby's hair...):eek:

dukedogsmom
11-05-2003, 05:14 PM
I picked Duke at the time because my now ex had a female named Duchess. Thought it would be cute to have lots of royalty in our house.
Duke: Means simply "duke" from the noble title, which was originally derived from Latin dux "leader".

CamCamPup33
11-05-2003, 05:33 PM
My dog is Cami.. Pronounced, Cam, E.. Like CAM.. then E.. lol

It means.. Attendent at a sacrafice.. I didnt name her from the meaning, because i just looked it up now, but i thought of the name cami after a resturant here called Cami's..

(We named the resturant after her.. :p ;) ) kidding!

lovemyshiba
11-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Very interesting thread.

I'm going to have to look up our names, because none of them were named for any specific reason--Kito--his mom's name on his papers was Ch Featherstone Nikita--we shortened it and made it masculine (we think??)
Abbey--she was named at the rescue
Riley--I found a few names I liked, posted a poll on Pet Talk, and everyone here named him:)
Jada--my husband named her, don't really know why, but it is a pretty name.

lol, I just looked them up:
Abigail (Abbey)--"my father is joy"
Riley--derived from a word meaning "rye cleaning" in Old English
Jada--derived from Jade--a precious stone
Kito--didn't find it, but Nikita is a translation of an Ancient Greek name Anicetus, which means---"unconquerable":D

Rio and Me
11-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Lovemyshiba
can i ask which site you used to look up the meaning of your dogs names??
Thanks Ky and Rio