PDA

View Full Version : How old was your oldest dog?

My Peanuts
11-04-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm only 22 so Sylvia and Harley are dogs #3 and #4 for me. My oldest dog was Barney. Barney was a beagle mix we think. He was born in 1976 (I was born in 1981!) and died in 1994. My mom saved him hours before he was scheduled to be put down. Barney was 18 years old and was a diabetic on shots for nearly seven of those years. It was really hard when he died cause he was there 5 years before I was even born! He was a great dog and even caught a rabbit in the backyard when he was 16. Since Barney was born on 1976 he was named after a character on the Andy Griffith Show :D

As some of you know, the dog we got after Barney was Angie. Angie only lived to be 9 years old and died in June, which was really hard on the whole family. :( Then we got Sylvia and Harley!:D

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 12:30 PM
My parents adopted Rags when my mom had just become pregnant with me. He was a stray that kept following my dad around work, so he started to take food to him and eventually gained his trust, and brought him home. He lived to be 17 years old. God, do I miss that dog...

stacwase
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
I've never had a dog older than Jake. He's 7!

RubyMutt
11-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Muffy was 13 when she died from stomach cancer :(

GoldenRetrLuver
11-04-2003, 05:15 PM
I had a Dachshund named Todo (like the wizard of Oz. ;)) who died at age 6 from a slipped disk. :(

KYS
11-04-2003, 07:06 PM
We adopted a senior little poodle/terrier mix from the local dog pound.
Our Vet felt by looking at her teeth etc. she was around
13 years old. We were blessed to have her for another
5 years. So she was approx. 17-18 yrs old I guess.

Other than Scruffy, our longest living dog lived
to the age of 12.5 and she was a GSD/lab mix and
my favorite dog of all time.
(I still miss all my past dogs.) :(

Tonya
11-04-2003, 07:39 PM
This is Christy in her final days (Story Below):
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p49ef26114a11b2b25a60394c885f1f7c/faa49a26.jpg

My mom had been at a fruit stand buying peaches and Christy jumped in her car. My mom kept telling the people how much she loved her and how beautiful she was. A few months later, they called a mutual friend and told them to tell my mom that Christy had eaten a bunch of their chickens. My mom had one hour to pick her up or the farmer was going to shoot her. We ran and got her. We didn't have any dog food and it was late at night, so we fed her spaghetti. It was before kindergarten, so I was 4 or 5 years old. I can remember walking her. She was a natural sleddog that had never been on a leash. I can remember her running down the street, dragging me on my belly because I wouldn't let her go. I loved her so much that I didn't want to lose her.

I still remember the day when she had her first seizure. I can remember exactly what I was wearing, what she looked like, where she was lying...everything. I was about 16. We picked her up and put her in the back of the truck. I rode in the back with her about an hour away to the vet. It was a scary realization that my dog was getting old. After that, the seizures just kept getting more and more frequent. By the time we put her down they were daily. We put Christy down when I was about 20 years old. Christy was already 1-2 years old when we got her, so she was probably about 17 years old when we put her down.

p.s. She howled "I love you" perfect. :D

Fuzzy317
11-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Our Sassee, was a rescued beagle, so we think she is about 14 years old.

Deuce
11-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Thats adoreable :)

My dog, sal is 12~

Kfamr
11-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Simba is my oldest dog. He's the first dog i've ever had in my life.

He'll be 6 on Christmas. :(

Cincy'sMom
11-04-2003, 09:02 PM
"My" oldest dog is Oreo (she live with my parents and their 4 other dogs). She turned 14 last week.

petlover
11-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Pepper was 19 when she died. They had to have her put to sleep because she was getting to old to go up the stairs to my room and because she was going through " Old dog Cancer". But, I swear, everything changed when she saw a squirrel. I have a feeling that if she had to die doing one thing. It would be chasing squirrels.

Logan
11-05-2003, 07:34 AM
Chuck, the Yellow Lab I had when I was married before, lived to be 15 years old, almost 16. He was a great dog, and always knew me, even years after my husband and I divorced. :)

We have Murphy, another Yellow Lab, now, and she is 13 1/2, and hopefully will be with us for many, many more years! :)