PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to vote!

Karen
11-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Today is election day in America - no, no presidential election this year, but local elections anyway, for most if not all people! Don't forget to vote today - low voter turnouts make me sad. We shouldn't take democracy lightly!

stacwase
11-04-2003, 07:29 AM
I rarely vote becaues I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good! I don't really know the candidates, only what the media says about them, so I'm afraid I'll vote for a real creep or against somebody who would have really been good.

But - if I know one of the candidates or know a lot of things about them not through gossip and rumors but through reliable sources, I vote.

There was this guy who used to teach my son in Karate. He ran for office and won because he sounded, to the public, to be such a wonderful person. He had like 4 advanced black belts despite the fact that he was legally blind. He supposedly helped children in numerous ways. blah blah blah. What the public didn't know was that he stole money from the children and was emotionally abusive and was actually a mean, awful person! After that I no longer trusted the media to tell us what the candidates were really like.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing or not by not voting, though.

lizbud
11-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
I rarely vote becaues I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good! I don't really know the candidates, only what the media says about them, so I'm afraid I'll vote for a real creep or against somebody who would have really been good.

But - if I know one of the candidates or know a lot of things about them not through gossip and rumors but through reliable sources, I vote.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing or not by not voting, though.

People rarely, if ever, get to know the candidates for office on
a personal level, so it's good to take the time to check their
voting records on subjects that interest you & you feel are most
important to your community. If someone has never held public
office & is running for the first time, look to their supporters &
where they get most of their contributions from. All these are
matters of public record on the local & national level.

I voted today. Vote early & often.:D J/K. But please do vote.:)

2kitties
11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
I vote because I like to complain. And I firmly believe that if you do not vote, then you have absolutely no right to complain about your government.
Also I vote because it is our duty. Plenty of people don't have that right and that is what creates a free nation.
VOTE VOTE VOTE. Do what you have to do in order to learn about candidates. Get on the internet, read the paper. It's your job.

stacwase
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
People rarely, if ever, get to know the candidates for office on
a personal level, so it's good to take the time to check their
voting records on subjects that interest you & you feel are most
important to your community. If someone has never held public
office & is running for the first time, look to their supporters &
where they get most of their contributions from. All these are
matters of public record on the local & national level.

I voted today. Vote early & often.:D J/K. But please do vote.:)

Where can you look those things up?

mugsy
11-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Do a search for the person you're looking for and they probably have a website. Also look at your city's website or state level site there should be information there.

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 12:10 PM
No elections here! But I always do vote when there is one...

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Huh I didn't even know there were elections today.............couldn't go anyway since I don't have a car and no one to watch Dylan and didn't even hear anything about it. How do you know about it? I haven't seen anything in the mail or on the news about it either. :confused:

Felicia's Mom
11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I voted this morning.:)

Cinder & Smoke
11-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Today is election day in America -

**Don't forget to vote today**

We shouldn't take democracy lightly!

Well said, :) Miz Karen!!

Remember - a LOT of Folks Fought & Died :( for
our RIGHT TO VOTE ~
Don't pass up the opportunity to VOTE!

Mom & Dad always said "You shouldn't *complain* about stuff
if you won't take the time to VOTE!
Your VOTE is you most effective way to complain and/or
express Your OPINION!"

And Yupperz!
We VOTED onna way to werk this mornin! :D

And it's NOT TOO LATE - Polls are open till prolly 7 or 8 PM in
Your Town... GO VOTE!!

/s/ Phred

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Well it's kinda hard to vote if you don't know about it. You would think they would have it all over the news and what not but I have seen nothing of the sort and nothing in the mail.

Freckles
11-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Oregon is strictly Vote by Mail. I returned my completed ballot a week ago. Not much to vote on and possibly no ballot at all in Eugene.

clara4457
11-04-2003, 07:04 PM
I voted - no major elections here except for County Executive, but there were quite a few judicial seats open. I think it is very important to give power to your beliefs, and contrary to popular belief - voting is your power.

As far as finding what people actually stand for does take some effort. Many times there are debates on Public Access channels, you can ask for and get copies of minutes of Legislative sessions. You can go on their websites and look at their voting records. You can even write them and ask how they stand on ABC, etc.

PS - the polls are open for 1 more hour here - SO VOTE!!!!

RubyMutt
11-04-2003, 07:53 PM
I voted a couple weeks ago (I have an absentee ballot - too lazy to drive to a polling place ;)) :D

mugsy
11-04-2003, 07:56 PM
I voted this afternoon on my way home from school.

well said Phred.

micki76
11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Well it's kinda hard to vote if you don't know about it. You would think they would have it all over the news and what not but I have seen nothing of the sort and nothing in the mail.

It's always the first Tuesday in November.

babolaypo65
11-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Done!

AmberLee
11-04-2003, 08:42 PM
With my work schedule I've signed up automatically to vote via absentee ballot. *blush* At my "new" home, I've had trouble getting off work in time to find the polling place and get there in time to vote. Also, I find I enjoy spreading the brochures/pamphlets out all over the dining room table and taking my time to compare comments/positions at my leisure...

The only drawback is to guarantee that it will get in in time means mailing it back a week prior to the election... and before a lot of the brochures actually arrive.

Luckies -- if you didn't get a voter's package in the mail with a sample ballot I think it means either there is no election in your area or that you're no longer registered to vote. You might want to check with your local registrar of voters, just to be sure. They purge the voting rolls every so often.

Micki76 -- I think it's a little weirder than that. I think it's the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, so that the possible election dates are Tuesday 2 November through Tuesday 8 November. [Wierd the trivia I pick up over the years...]

micki76
11-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
With my work schedule I've signed up automatically to vote via absentee ballot. *blush* At my "new" home, I've had trouble getting off work in time to find the polling place and get there in time to vote. Also, I find I enjoy spreading the brochures/pamphlets out all over the dining room table and taking my time to compare comments/positions at my leisure...

The only drawback is to guarantee that it will get in in time means mailing it back a week prior to the election... and before a lot of the brochures actually arrive.

Luckies -- if you didn't get a voter's package in the mail with a sample ballot I think it means either there is no election in your area or that you're no longer registered to vote. You might want to check with your local registrar of voters, just to be sure. They purge the voting rolls every so often.

Micki76 -- I think it's a little weirder than that. I think it's the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, so that the possible election dates are Tuesday 2 November through Tuesday 8 November. [Wierd the trivia I pick up over the years...]

You get brochures and pamphlets and stuff? On the candidates? We don't get anything of the sort here. How interesting and helpful! :)

I didn't know that about the dates. I love to learn new stuff, cool. :D

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Oregon is strictly Vote by Mail. I returned my completed ballot a week ago. Not much to vote on and possibly no ballot at all in Eugene.

Ok. I am from California and haven't been here too long. I didn't see anything in the mail, like I usually do. Dan came home today and said we had nothing to vote for so now I feel better.

Vio&Juni
11-05-2003, 02:25 AM
I heard that in the States, people convicted for any fellony lose the right to vote forever, is it right?

lizbud
11-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Vio & juni,

I thought it was determined on a state by state basis. Anyone
convicted of a felony loses their constitional rights while in prison
and until after the probation period is over. I wasn't sure so I
looked it up . Here's a link I found that explains it somewhat.

http://www.ncpa.org/iss/gov/2002/pd101702b.html

Vio&Juni
11-05-2003, 10:13 AM
I couldn't open the link, I'll try tomorrow morning again.

Well, I thought it's kind of violation of one's human rights to be left without the right to vote for the entire life. To me, as you pay for you fellony with some years of your life, you should be considered a normal person again and be given the same rights as others.
But, with the law in the US, I would not be surprised and I mean the capital punishment. No offence to anyone.