PDA

View Full Version : Please read!

Tonya
11-04-2003, 06:55 AM
This is a bit late but something to keep in mind for next year. They were talking on the radio last week about how we all think about the homeless around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well, what about Halloween? How do the poor children feel around Halloween when everyone is dressing up and they can't afford a costume? Can you imagine how traumatic that can be for a child?

They had a drive here collecting new and used costumes for the unfortunate kids. I urge you to not throw out your costumes this year; and perhaps keep your eyes out for deals now that they are all on clearance. Save them for the children next year. Thank you for reading this.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Great idea Tonya! Thanks for posting it!

moosmom
11-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Great idea Tonya!! I'll ask my friend who has 2 kids if she's willing to donate them.

stacwase
11-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Good idea!

This year I've been getting really organized and, for the first time ever, I have a "Halloween" bin. So I won't have to buy all new stuff next Halloween. So now I can keep an eye out for all the sales and put all the cheap costumes in the bin! Good idea!

Heather Wallace
11-04-2003, 07:17 AM
For poor kids, they can still enjoy halloween. It doesn't cost a lot to make a good costume, throw a few bits and pieces together and there you have it, a great costume.

When i was young my mum wasn't exactly rich, she was a one parent family, but she still tried her best for us and we had as good a costume as anyone else.

Tonya
11-04-2003, 07:36 AM
When i was young my mum wasn't exactly rich, she was a one parent family, but she still tried her best for us and we had as good a costume as anyone else.

I agree, Heather. With some creativity, it is very easy to come up with a good costume. But unfortunatly, some parents don't care enough to do that for their children.

Heather Wallace
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
also agree with you Tonya.

Tonya
11-04-2003, 07:43 PM
bump

Tonya
11-09-2003, 10:06 PM
I went to Target today. They has a 90% off sale on their Halloween stuff! :eek: I bought a Hulk costume regular $30 for $3, a witch one regular $15 for $1.50...All together I spent $40 and my grocery cart was piled to the top. Also, I explained to the manager at Target what I was doing. She gave me all of the Halloween costumes that were missing pieces or tags for free!

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 10:38 PM
For poor kids, they can still enjoy halloween. It doesn't cost a lot to make a good costume, throw a few bits and pieces together and there you have it, a great costume.

I agree ... an old sheet and a pair of scissors, and you're a ghost. Or a roll of toilet paper, and you're a mummy.

They had all costumes dirt cheap at Walmart after Halloween here, too.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to donate costumes, it is. I just remember as a kid, we had the most fun when we were creative and made our own costumes for pennies, rather than buying them.

Tonya
07-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Just a reminder. Halloween is around the corner. Keep your eyes open for costume items.

almamee
07-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Great idea I will tell my neighbors who have 4 kids thanx a bunch

Tonya
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Thank you. I know it's wierd timing to remind everyone, but I always start on the holidays during the summer, so I was just thinking about it.