PDA

View Full Version : Do you have braces?

Dogz
11-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Do any of you have braces?:)

Nope, not me.:)

Desert Arabian
11-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Used to. I got them taken off in May. I had them for a little over a year. :( So not fun!

babolaypo65
11-03-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm in my 30s. I never had braces because we couldn't afford them. I reeeallly wish I'd had them, and even consider getting them now.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Yep. I got them on during summer...I have to wear them for 2 years. No fun. :(

Dogz
11-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Yep. I got them on during summer...I have to wear them for 2 years. No fun. :(
*hugs*:)

Twisterdog
11-03-2003, 10:08 PM
I never had braces, I have those naturally straight teeth that people want to slap me for. ;)

My son has had braces for years, though. He was supposed to have them off by now, but he refuses to wear his elastics, so it is dragging it out longer.

So, wear your elastics, kids! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I never had braces, I have those naturally straight teeth that people want to slap me for. ;)

My mom has straight teeth too...never wore braces. Your so lucky!! ;)

Kfamr
11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Nope.

popcornbird
11-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Nope. No need for them. :D

CatDad
11-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
I'm in my 30s. I never had braces because we couldn't afford them. I reeeallly wish I'd had them, and even consider getting them now.
I have never had them, I was lucky.

However my girlfriend did and she is older then you, not saying anything I just needed to give an age without being specific. :o
Anyway, after watching her, I would think twice and make sure that there was a good reason. It did not look like fun.

Karen
11-03-2003, 11:15 PM
I do not currently have braces, but I did my stint - 2 years, two months and 14 days or so ... My teeth are still straight years later, and people compliment my smile, so they must have done the job! My sister had them for 4 years, starting when she was 9. My brothers, though, didn't need them at all - no fair! My sister and I got the big teeth, but narrow jaws, where they got wider jaws so everything fit a lot better.

The nice thing is, when we were in our mid-twenties, my friend Bonnie got braces for the first time. She said "I figured if you could have them for two years and never stop smiling, I could put up with them, too." I thought that was a nice compliment!

babolaypo65 - go for it! It's annoying while you have them, but worth it for the rest of your life!

Tonya
11-03-2003, 11:15 PM
I used too! I got them off in the 7th grade.

AmberLee
11-03-2003, 11:18 PM
but not as a teen, in my early 40s, to correct TMJ. One of my 50ish coworkers has them now and he tells me he sees an 80 year old woman in the office on a similar schedule getting them tightened. Ouch.

A buddy in his late 20s is getting them now, too. He was beaten so severely by a couple muggers that his jaw and teeth were damaged.

It's not as unusual as you may think!

magcpen
11-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Nope, and I never will (unless it becomes an actual medical hazard). ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Yep, it is annoying having them tightened every month, and the wire/bracket changes...but they tell me it'll be worth it! I just respond, it better be! ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-04-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

My son has had braces for years, though. He was supposed to have them off by now, but he refuses to wear his elastics, so it is dragging it out longer.

So, wear your elastics, kids! :)

AMEN to that!!! My eldest daughter got her braces on AFTER my son, and they came off EARLIER 'cos she was much more disciplined with the elastics, and the headgear at night. My son's had to be taken off because he wasnt taking care of them - not flossing properly, and eating all the wrong foods, thus breaking the wires all the time, and his teeth were going to end up permanently discoloured due to not flossing:( He will have to try again when he's older, but the older you are the longer it takes!!

I also had braces when I was a teenager, and my youngest daughter will be getting hers done next year. (Poor kids inherited my teeth)

I have actually thought about getting mine done again (I still have Bunny Teeth despite the braces), but my husband is agaist it. There are new linear ones which go ON THE BACK of the teeth, but they don't suit everyone!

Amber
11-04-2003, 06:52 AM
I have to get them......(psst Julie, Does it hurt when they put them on you)???)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Amber
I have to get them......(psst Julie, Does it hurt when they put them on you)???)

Nope, not at all. But afterwards...yes. The day you're going in to get them on, make sure you take Tylenol. They usually don't put them on all at once, like they'll put the upper brackets on one week, and the bottom the next. I had everyting put on me all at once, because my mom wanted to get it done quicker. I also had to get 2 baby teeth pulled, because they never fell out. If you end up getting teeth pulled, don't worry!! It doesn't hurt AT ALL. I also have a baby tooth that doesn't have a permanent tooth under it, so I will have to have an implant put in someday. Mine hurt for about a week, and then it went back to normal. A few days before they put the braces on, they put in things called "spacers", to make room in the teeth. They look like little rubber bands that go around a few of your teeth. (I had 4 put in, they put them in all the corners of my mouth.) Those don't hurt at all, but can be kind of annoying. ;)
Then, they explain the care of your teeth, like flossing, brushing, the foods you can't eat, etc...Oh, and make sure you store up on wax!! I needed TONS of it. :p It helps make the pain go away, when they first put them on, or after they tighten them for the first time.
Braces aren't really that bad...I mean, you learn to live with them.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-04-2003, 10:07 AM

Got mine off about 25 years ago now. ;) :D And the thing I remember most is that the day I got them on wasn't bad at all, but about a week before they went in and put "spacers" in - between my teeth - to make sure there was room for the braces I suppose - but that hurt like h-e double hockey sticks! After a week of that getting the actual braces was a breeze.

And then every month getting them tightened was a pain, but it wasn't that bad because I got to get out of school for it. ;) And I agree Tylenol should do the trick.

I do not currently have braces, but I did my stint - 2 years, two months and 14 days or so ...
:eek: :eek: Boy Karen, must have been quite the experience if you can remember down to the day how long you had them on! ;) :D I had mine for a little over 2 years. Got them off right before my senior pictures were taken...if I remember right. They are a pain while you have them, but the results are so worth it.

A friend of mine didn't have them as a teenager, but when she was in her early 30's she was debating whether to get them or not. She asked my opinion and my response was "You'll never regret spending money on your teeth." So she went ahead with it and is glad she did. So babolaypo65, I say go for it. You will never regret it. And this isn't a "vain" sort of thing to do like some plastic surgery. This will benefit your dental health the rest of your life. :)

ramanth
11-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Had braces. :)

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Never had 'em, don't need 'em now. Thank God.

Dakota's Mommy
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Don't have them now, but I had them when I was younger

Maresche
11-04-2003, 11:31 AM
I had them put on on my 6th birthday and taken off on my 13th. That's right, 7 years! I had some serious issues in my mouth. But my teeth are still straight, 12+ years after having them taken off.

I don't remember them hurting so much but my teeth were sore, especially after having them tightened.

One recommendation for those about to get them. If you have a strong gag reflex, don't eat the day they put them on, the day they take them off, or anytime you have impressions made. I wish someone had told me to my mother that before I had my first impressions done. :(

isis
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
I got mine off. :D

primabella
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah I wore them for about 6 years. I *really* needed them too so now I am so proud of my smile. :D

Truffles
11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
yes i have had them but for a very short term my upper teeth needed straighting out so i got braces for that.like many others said their not fun but their worth it.take care:)

truffles:)

wolfsoul
11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Nope, I'm very proud of how straight my teeth are. :D I will need to get my wisdom teeth pulled however. :(

bluekat
11-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately, yes:( :( :( I got them about a month ago i think...but first, they had to pull out one tooth first. It killed!!!OMG, I felt like fainting because it was jurting so bad. I hate pulling teeth out, that was my first time. Then I got the braces:( They didn't hurt as much as I'd thought, but I hate them still. It felt so different, and there's tons of things I can't eat. But I'm only having them for 1 and a half years:D Can't wait till they come off!:D ;) lol

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by bluekat
Unfortunately, yes:( :( :( I got them about a month ago i think...but first, they had to pull out one tooth first.

Oh, forgot to mention that part. I had to have either 2 or 4 teeth pulled (don't remember for sure). I don't remember it hurting, but I do remember the big gaping holes that I just couldn't stop playing with with my tongue. :p They said they needed to pull the teeth because that way there would be room for my wisdom teeth - still have those. Must be why I'm so wise.....yeah right! :rolleyes: :D

Aspen and Misty
11-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Owwwwwwww

I'm a braces wearer and I had an apointment yeasterday, OWWWW is all I can say :(

Owww,
Ashley

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm getting braces... Icky..

Uabassoon
11-04-2003, 05:58 PM
I used to have braces when I was in Jr. High, my teeth are a little crooked now but not too bad. I used to have a huge gap in my front teeth now I just have a tiny one.

CamCamPup33
11-04-2003, 06:14 PM
ive had them.. Dont have them anymore though.. My teeth are really straight now, becuase i had them on for about 4 years.. it was *NO* fun..

bluekat
11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
The part that hurts that most is right after you get the wire, it feels like something's always forcing your teeth to be squished together:p

slleipnir
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
I had them for a couple of years. Hated it lol

RubyMutt
11-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Nope :( My teeth are less than perfect and I wish I would've had braces when I was younger. I actually don't know why I never did :( I kinda feel like I'm 'too old' now. I would actually *LOVE* to get Invisalign (http://www.invisalign.com/US/index.html), but I currently don't have dental insurance and even if I did I don't know if it would be covered since it's considered 'cosmetic' :p *sigh* hopefully someday...

Amber
11-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Nope, not at all. But afterwards...yes. The day you're going in to get them on, make sure you take Tylenol. They usually don't put them on all at once, like they'll put the upper brackets on one week, and the bottom the next. I had everyting put on me all at once, because my mom wanted to get it done quicker. I also had to get 2 baby teeth pulled, because they never fell out. If you end up getting teeth pulled, don't worry!! It doesn't hurt AT ALL. I also have a baby tooth that doesn't have a permanent tooth under it, so I will have to have an implant put in someday. Mine hurt for about a week, and then it went back to normal. A few days before they put the braces on, they put in things called "spacers", to make room in the teeth. They look like little rubber bands that go around a few of your teeth. (I had 4 put in, they put them in all the corners of my mouth.) Those don't hurt at all, but can be kind of annoying. ;)
Then, they explain the care of your teeth, like flossing, brushing, the foods you can't eat, etc...Oh, and make sure you store up on wax!! I needed TONS of it. :p It helps make the pain go away, when they first put them on, or after they tighten them for the first time.
Braces aren't really that bad...I mean, you learn to live with them.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me! :)
Whew! Im glad it wast what I was thinking! lol! Thanks Julie!! and I will PM you if I got a question about it

Rottieluver45
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
No, but I want them! I`m sick of "some" people making fun of me b/c I don`t have staight teeth! Ughhhh....anywho I might be getting them in a while. Maybe the beginning of next year!! YAY!!!

GoldenRetrLuver
11-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Whew! Im glad it wast what I was thinking! lol! Thanks Julie!! and I will PM you if I got a question about it

Your welcome. :) Feel free to ask me questions, anytime!