PDA

View Full Version : I know its Gross but.......

shais_mom
07-25-2001, 12:48 AM
I know this is gross, but you all will understand. Tonight when I let Shai back in she turned her back to me and I noticed her rectum was swollen. So I got ahold of her and kind poked and prodded :o and she kinda shyed away from me. Today is the first day I have noticed it. I have to go the vet tomorrow and p/u her phenobarb and I will call ahead to see if I can bring her for them to look at. Hopefully they will see her.
It only on the one side :confused: I wonder if its an infected anal gland or if she got stung. Will keep you posted.

aly
07-25-2001, 01:31 AM
I can sympathize. Reece's booty is CONSTANTLY swollen. I can't WAIT TO GET RID OF THESE ANAL GLANDS that he licks 24 hours a day!!!!!!!! He was even bugging Lolly tonight with his *slurp lick slurp gulp slurp slurping* :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope Shai's problem will go away. Maybe put some ice on it to see if the swelling goes down? Is it red? Do you have bees or anything outside your house?

tatsxxx11
07-25-2001, 09:04 AM
Poor Shai baby! Hope the vet fixes you up pronto! I've never had an anal gland or similiar type problem with the girls YET! But it sounds something like what Alyson describes! Update ASAP!!! Love to Shai from all of us :)

BayleeBoo
07-25-2001, 12:36 PM
I have an Aunt that has a little pomeranian and it actually got stung by a bee in the same place! Though he didn't swell back there so you should take him to the vet! Best luck with Shai! :confused:

Sudilar
07-25-2001, 12:59 PM
Good luck at the vet. Please let us know what you find out. We'll be thinking of you!!

shais_mom
07-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Well, my first guess was right. It is an abcessed anal gland. It was about the size of a small egg. I feel like a bad mom for not noticing it earlier. I am with her almost all the time :( .
As soon as the vet looked at it he said, "wow!, she must be tough cause that has got to hurt!!!' He said "She must be Stoic"!!!
He is surprised b/c it normally doesn't happen to big dogs, usually small ones. He asked if she had been scootin, and said not at all. He laughed and said it must be beneath her behaivor! :)
I had never seen a dog scoot before until I saw my friends llhaso do it in Dec.
Anyway, he gave her a shot of antibiotic and put her on Kephlex for a week. He went to give her the shot and she yelped before the needle even got near her and he jumped and almost stuck himself. :eek: He said "Oh now your gonna be a baby!!!"I don't mind, you have to have a little humor in stuff like that! He said if it keeps happening then she may have to have them removed but that would be the last resort. I immediatly thought of Aly and Reece!!! He said to maybe add a little fiber to her diet with 2T of bran flakes mixed in with her food.
He said the abscess was about to "blow" :eek:
(yuk) So I have to put hot compresses on it for a couple days (that should be fun) :(
He said its not her food or anything so its not that.
She just started licking at it more than normal this morning. Then when we got home I was in the kitchen and noticed she kept digging at it, so I went and checked and sure enough it was starting to ooze, so I applied some pressure and get some infection out and put some peroxide on it and made a greyhound extremely unhappy. If I have to do that often I am thinking of getting a muzzle for her, she tried to snap at me when I pushed to hard. Any suggestions?
That is the update, Thanks for all your thoughts.
Sue I appreciate your support especially since this doesn't hold a candle to your ordeal. You are a gift.
So are all of you.

RachelJ
07-25-2001, 03:42 PM
Holy moly, I am so sorry poor Shai has yet another problem to deal with. This one doesn't sounds like it is going to be a real challenge as well. We'd have to put Hannah in a straight jacket to tend to anything like that.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-25-2001, 03:58 PM
Greyhounds, because they are built different than most dogs, aren't really able to scoot comfortably! When our dogs sit, their butts don't even touch the ground!
We haven't had any problems with impacted anal sacs (yet) with any of our dogs currently, but my old cocker spaniel (who scooted ALL THE TIME) had to be taken to the vet several times to have her anal sacs expressed, or drained.
Funny story while we're on the topic :p : last year we had Paula at the vet to have a vaginal problem checked out, and while the vet was crouched back there, poking and prodding, nervous-ninny Paula "shot" her anal sacs all over the vet!
The fluid is so foul-smelling, not like poo but like a really sour, heavy musk - that examining room probably smelled like that for days - and I don't want to know how many times the vet had to wash his lab coat! :D

shais_mom
07-25-2001, 04:10 PM
I think it would be hard for anybig dog to scoot!!! Let alone a Greyhound!!! Shai butt doesn't sit on the ground either, I call it "hovering". One of the first times I took her to the vet when she had gastritis the vet expelled her glands and it was awful smelling!!
Shai has been to the vet more times in the 2 years I have had her then the dog we have growing up was and he lived 12-13 years!!!
He went when he got nuetered, and when he got really old my dad took him for arthritis and maybe one other time!!! Different dogs just like different kids!!!

Update:
Shai has messed with it enough that it is now open, and I think all the infection is out. I put peroxide on it, which she hates, and put some antibiotic cream on it which she keeps licking off. I just hope it doesn't turn into an open sore. :(

Can anyone suggest something else to put on it, besides neosporin?
[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: shais_mom ]

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: shais_mom ]

shais_mom
07-26-2001, 12:04 AM
Another thing! Shai has gained 6 pounds since her last visit in April!! She weighs a whopping 77 pounds! Tho they didn't say she needed to go on a diet, I think she is going to!! She could lose 5 pounds and be ok.

Daisy's Mom
07-26-2001, 01:47 AM
Oh poor Shai! I hope everything back there clears up soon for you :) And now you have to go on a diet to top it all off? Poor baby!! :)

shais_mom
07-28-2001, 07:52 PM
Shai is doing better, I am afraid of it turning into an open sore, if she won't leave it alone. I bought some antibiotic ointment that is waterproof but not lick proof. She runs when I try to put peroxide on it, which the vet told me to do. Yesterday she ran into her crate and turned and looked at me like Cant get me now!! It is oozing the anal fluid so I try to keep that wiped up. I may have to make a makeshift Elizbethan collar for her wich will thrill her to no end!!! :eek:

aly
07-28-2001, 08:57 PM
Shai - stop licking!!!!!! I had to wear one of those collars when I was a kitten and it was NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Shiloh

RachelJ
07-28-2001, 09:57 PM
There is a kind of gauze pad that is especially good for cleaning wounds. I used is when I had an infection after the removal of a cyst. It is made by Johnson and Johnson and it has First Aid on the box. Then it says Extra Absorbent Gauze Pads for Cleaning and Covering Wounds. The peroxide shouldn't be that painful. Because she licks it, I think I'd want to check with the Vet to make sure whatever you put on it won't hurt her if she licks it off.

K9karen
07-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Oh please don't be embarrased! It's amazing what I learned about Cody! I never thought I had it in me, but when they rely on you, you do what you must. Believe me, they keep some of those problems, well hidden behind tails and fur. Cody never scooted until about 1 year ago, and since it was something he'd never done, and seemed to have a hard time pooping (not a usual problem for a 95 lb elephant, trust me on this)I took him to the vet, and that's exactly what it was, those dreaded, skunky, anal glands. I'm glad I stood downwind! :D But the clincher on caring and knowing every inch of his body, was when he licked his penis over and over and over everytime he peed, so, Dr Karen rolled him over and , ahem, did my maternal duty and noticed redness and, yep, it was a localized infection which responded to a local cream, which yours truly had to apply, loads of fun, like not. It must have felt good cause C-boy never flinched so he knew I was helping him. I thought I'd be embarrased telling the vet, but I just came right out with it and he was very glad I took notice and didn't ignore it. I'm more bashful about myself! :o I'm glad Shai is better! You're a great mom and great nurse!
Oh, and you know your love is BOUNDLESS when you have to use a babywipe!!!!

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: K9karen ]

Sudilar
07-28-2001, 11:06 PM
Poor Shai!! How awful for you! I hope you are starting to feel a little better now. If you have to wear an Elizabethan collar, though, I know you will look lovely in it!!

As I've mentioned before Killian had problems with his anal glands, too (a few years ago). After expressing them a couple of times, he's been ok. When the vet was expressing them, I was supposed to hold him down. One time he crawled strait up to my head!! That was not fun and did it smell!!!
Whew! I feel so sorry for you Shai!! Get well quick, ok? We'll be thinking about you!!

Logan
07-28-2001, 11:38 PM
Staci....you have me nervous. This problem is one I have NEVER heard of until this year. And Honey scoots occassionally. I have always hoped it might be just a "little itch" where she can't reach! :eek: I am way to modest, and hate the thought of having this part of her anatomy checked! But if the "scooting" continues, I know I'll have to.

I would definitely go for the collar, vanity or not, to see if you can get her healed on your own.

Good luck, Shai and Mom!!! :D

shais_mom
07-29-2001, 01:10 AM
Hey All!!! Its Shaianne HERE and I just wanted to say WAAAAAZZZUUUUPPP!!!!
Boy we are going to miss Daisy's momma!! :(
But I hope she enjoys herself!!!
Logan, Momma didn't mean to make yous nervous!!! :eek:
When we can't tell ya was wrong we gotta do sumpin. I didn't do nuttin like dat for my mom, just turned and flashed my booty at her. And she was like what's dat!!
Mom says sumpin about bringin home some xray film and doing sumpin w/ dat round my noggin. Momma tells me to leave it alone so I can gets better but I can't cuz it hurts!!
She says "Baby I know it hurts but you gotta leave it alone or your gonna wear the collar thingy!!!" :rolleyes:
I 'preciate all the thoughts from everyone and hope my friend Killi is getting better, cuz hes soooooo handsome I just swoon when I see his pikshur!! Whatta dreamboat!!
The other Shi is sooooooooooooooooo lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
ahh bestill my heart.
Well anyhooo!! Its bedtime gotsa go camp out on momma bed before that cat thinks she can do it !! I was there first!!!!!!!

AdoreMyDogs
07-29-2001, 06:01 AM
Shai...I hope your bootie gets better. I had never heard of that either until you mentioned it. If you have to wear one of those e-collars, just remember, you look fabulous!

KYS
07-29-2001, 10:48 AM
Poor baby and poor Mommy. :(
That is the one thing I could never
get myself to do is stick my finger and squeeze those anal glads when they
start to smell. YUCK!
Luckly for me, mother nature calls
and the dogs express them naturally.

Wishing Shai and human-mom the best.

shais_mom
07-31-2001, 11:58 PM
Her sore is healing SLOWLY. She is doing better, and it is only seeping fluid.
One pill left and we should be done!!!

Sudilar
08-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Keep gettin better!!!!! Bein' sick is no fun!! We're still thinkin' about ya! Thank you for the compliments!!! I won't tell Shiloh, she'd get jealous!! He-he-he!!

Killian

jackiesdaisy1935
08-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear Shais is doing better, this is the first I have ever heard about anal glands. As they say, you learn something new every day. Perry wore the collar when he was neutered, and he didn't like it, but he did o.k. If Shais keeps licking the medicine maybe it would be good so it won't get infected. Poor baby, it will be all over soon. :)
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
08-01-2001, 11:59 PM
Poor Shai. Get well soon!

shais_mom
08-07-2001, 01:57 AM
Shai's bum is all healed up, I will keep an eye on it tho for swelling and redness. Thanks for all your well wishes!!

RachelJ
08-07-2001, 08:58 AM
That Kelflex is good stuff. It is supposed to keep working even after you stop taking it. I'm glad this is one problem solved. Kisses for Shai for being a good girl and putting up with all mom's messing with her butt. :)

Sudilar
08-07-2001, 04:37 PM
Hooray!!!!

Daisy's Mom
08-07-2001, 11:48 PM
Yay, Shai! I'm so happy to know everything IS OKAY IN THE END! HAHA GET IT? LOL I'm sorry, I just had to say it ;)