PDA

View Full Version : When you moved out...

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 06:44 PM
What was it like? Did you graduate school first? Were you going to college at the time? Did you have pets? What was it like having to buy groceries and spending all YOUR ;) money? Any stories to tell?

Just a curious teenager. :p I'm in grade 11...only 2 more years to go! I know you're going to say NOT to wish for things like that but I can't help it! :o

Uabassoon
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
I moved away to college shortly after my 18th birthday. I remember I was really scared at first because I didn't know a single person and all my family was in Texas and I was in Arizona. But soon I met a lot of new friends and felt a little less homesick everyday. Living in a dorm was fun but I was sad because I didn't have any pets, thankfully my resident assistant and I got along and she let me sneak a hamster into my room as long as I didn't let too many people know about him :). I really hated spending money on things that I needed, for the first time I actually had what seemed like a lot of money. But it took me a long time to get used to figuring out how much of it was for things I need and how much of it was for fun.

slick
11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I was at home until I was 24. I got a job right out of high school and worked for 6 yrs before meeting my first BF. Two years later in 1977 I moved in with him (much to my Father's dismay..). I didn't seem like that much of an adjustment. We pooled our money and went on a Caribbean Cruise and travelled alot. Life was good, until 1987 when I caught him in bed with my x-best friend :eek: :eek:

neko1
11-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I moved out when I was 19. Me, Brian, and my friend, monika shared a condo. Then in a year, Brian and I rented our own apartment. Then another year went by, and we bought our house when we were 21.

I love being out of my mom's house, but I still love living within 5 minutes of her (we live in the same town)

When we lived in the condo, Brian had his RB kitty, Bubba, and I had Neko. Then in the apartment we got Cookie. And we added Pumpkin and Tama when we bought the house.

Yes I was in college up the whole time until I graduated in 200.

Soledad
11-03-2003, 07:05 PM
I moved out and started university when I was 17. My brother and I shared a townhouse and a car. It was challenging learning to deal with money and so much independence, but fun!

Perhaps if you're worried about money and budgeting skills you could start now by helping your parents with things like the groceries. They could give you a certain amount and you would have to figure out how to get the most food for a week with the given amount. Exercises like that would have been really helpful for me. :)

Cookiebaker
11-03-2003, 07:10 PM
I moved out when we got married. It was a huge life change and pretty scary at times. Yes, it was an adjustment, but I loved my new life at the same time.

Azure was the only pet at the time, and he came with me! We soon got a hamster and that was the beginning of our houseful of critters. :)

stacwase
11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
I graduated in May and got married in July because I wanted to get out of the house ASAP (I think you can understand why). I worked full-time at a Food Barn grocery store while my exhusband went to college. Even though we had very inexpensive student family housing, it was difficult. You really don't understand until you move out how much rent, electricity, car payments, insurance, etc. really cost. It doesn't leave much room for $ for clothes or makeup or anything, and then if you have an emergency things can really get tough.

If I could give you any advice, I'd say that if you're going to stay in the same town you should wait until you already have a job and the health insurance has kicked in, before you move out. Then if you have a health emergency you won't break the bank.

It is fun at first, though, to be out on your own "playing house"! Enjoy!

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Oh my, I don't even want to think about depending on myself for money. I'd spend every cent on Kai lol.

I plan on moving out maybe a few years after graduating. I want to have alot of money saved up because I'm NOT good with money so I know it'll take a while to adjust. Maybe, I'll complete my course out in salmon arm first..then move out after I get a stable job as a dog trainer lol. meh..who knows.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Well, I'm really good at saving money. I'm terrible though. I'd probably starve myself as long as I get to keep my precious money. :p lol. But I am worried about whether or not I'll have enough money. But when I think of how little my mom gets, and how we are fine, I think I'll be fine lol. Like Ashley, I am thinking of becoming a dog trainer. I'll be going to CWCC in Salmon Arm too. :) But I don't know about starting my own training business...I was thinking of maybe getting a job as a trainer at Petcetera or something..

KYS
11-03-2003, 07:29 PM
I moved out when I got married at age 24.

I learned from my sisters who moved out to
live in apartments.
It was much easier to
remain at home, pay my mom rent,
than to have to strugle paying
bills while going to school and working.
(I must say I had a wonderful mom which
made remaining at home a pleasure)

I agree with stacwase, If you do move out, make
sure you have a decent job with health insurance.
(and don't get involved with a looser boyfriend that
can't pay his share.)
It's not fun having to strugle and making ends meet.

Tonya
11-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I moved out several times! The first time, I was about 16. My mom was pretty psycho and we didn't get along well. My bestfriend came from a strong Christian family. They moved me into their house. By almost 18, I moved back home because I missed my mom.

Then, at 18 I moved into a dorm at Bethany Bible college by Santa Cruz. I was going to major in Ministry. That didn't feel like freedom because they pretty much told you when you could take a crap there. I dropped out before the first semester ended because I realized it wasn't my forte.

I only lived back home for about a month and was itching for my own place. I was waitressing and not making much money.

I got this crappy trailer in the back of a house with furniture for $280 a month. I was happy as can be even though it was hard making ends meet.

Then I got pregnant. :rolleyes: I moved back home and stayed with my mom through my entire pregnancy. I had Jaden when I was 19.

When I was almost 20, I got hired at the phone company and for the first time in my life was making decent money. I got my own apartment. That only lasted about 6 months before I got married. :rolleyes: My husband was 13 years older then me so once again, I was far from independent.

I was married for one year, and divorced. :rolleyes: So, guess what? I moved back home again. That time I was home for 2 weeks. lol. Couldn't stand my mom, so I got a house with a roomate. I still didn't feel independent because my ex had left me so much debt that I was always borrowing money from my roomate.

I lived in that house for about a year, and got debt free. Then Mike and I got a place together. We've owned this house for 3 years in April. For the first time ever, I really feel independent. It sucks. :D I want to be in highschool again.

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:31 PM
lol yeah, I wanted to maybe start off at petcetera then do maybe my own classes on the weekends at a rented location like Kai's current instructor...and establish a little base for later on. I'll save money while working there and *hopefully* rent out a building as my little training/daycare centre. Care to move to vancouver to work with me? :D

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Care to move to vancouver to work with me? :D
LOL, I thought about it...But I have so much stuff, I'd need a moving truck to go there with me! :eek: And I don't want to spend my precious money on THAT..;)

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:37 PM
I'll pay for the truck! LOL!

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 07:41 PM
LOL! :D And make me feel guilty? ;)

Tonya
11-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Everyone's advice is good. Stay away from loser boyfriends! Build a little savings to fall back on. Try to have health insurance.

babolaypo65
11-03-2003, 09:54 PM
I moved out when I was 18, in the fall, for college. Moved into the dorms. It was pretty scary, but not as scary as getting an apartment would have been. I just had to pay the bill once, with my financial aid, not too much budgeting involved. Then after freshman year of college me, my roomate, and two other friends (guys) got a house with four bedrooms. We all lived there together til we graduated. But I was still afraid of my budgeting skills so i paid the whole semester's rent with my financial aid check (including utilities). That way I only had to figure out food! It was tight, but I did it. I also NEVER got a credit card. By senior year, at 21-22, I was pretty good at handling my very very small amount of money. I lived at home summer after freshman year, and that was it. The other summers of college i stayed there and worked. Having a roomate (or three) was a good transition for me.
We had 2 cats. My roomate kept them after graduation, because he was staying. It was hard to let them go, but he was the best parent at the time....

popcornbird
11-03-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm sooooooooo not moving out until I get married, which won't be for quite some time. Probably after college. I don't even want to think about it. :p He he he

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-04-2003, 02:52 AM
I moved out of home straight after high school at 17; and worked through college.

I wouldn't reccomend it - but I had issues at home that I wanted to get away from. (I still dread going home for the holidays - having to deal with the same rubbish that freaked me out 15 years ago!!!)

Barbara
11-04-2003, 03:03 AM
I moved out when I was 19. I was already at university. I had a small room for about 1 or 2 years and was earning my money by being a receptionist, later with jobs at the university and computer jobs (Hey I am talking about the 1970s). I did not have much money and mainly tried to save on food. But it was the same with all my friends so this was a good time :)

Then I moved together with my first husband who was just finishing his studies. We shared a very small house with another couple (them downstairs and us upstairs) and had cats in the house. :) :) :)

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 07:46 AM
I ONLY HAVE 7 MONTHS AND 1 MORE DAY TO GO!!! Then I'll be OUT!!! Wooooo hoooooo!!!! :D :D :D (In case you couldn't tell, I'm getting married and that will be my ticket outta town! I can't wait!! I'll be 2 weeks past my 26 birthday.)

cubby31682
11-04-2003, 08:49 AM
I was kicked out of the my parents house when I was 16 for not going to school on a regular basis, when I was 17 my boyfriend at the time (which is now my hubby) and I got are own apartment. At first it was rough going. We didn't have enough money for all the things we thought we would have enough money for. Between him and me we had one goal in mind which was to prove to are parents that we could make it on are own with out having to barrow money, (which we had to twice) and that we would never have to move back in with them. So far we have made one goal. When we first got the apartment, we had no pets honestly we couldn't afford one. We could hardly afford to take care of are selves let alone an animal. After about 6 months and when hubby got 2 raises at work within 6 months I got 2 birds, after having the birds we relized that hubby was alergic to them. So sadly I had to give them away. My mom's boyfriend has them now and plans on keeping them. I know they are well cared for so I'm happy about that at least. A few weeks before I gave my birds away I got Cubby. There were times that we couldn't afford things for him but we managed to get by. Now that we have all bills paid off except 3 we are in good shape. Before Corey and I got an apartment he had 8 credit cards and a huge truck payment. So all his money was going to bills. I got $10,000 from my mom for my 18th birthday which she gave to me early, I paid off all his bills except the truck, two weeks later we were on are own.

If I had to do it all over again I would. I love living on my own. I get the privacy I want, I don't have to answer to my mom. I don't have to explain my self to her. Her and I have had such a better realationship because I moved out.

I hope you enjoy it when you get to move out.
Katie

Soledad
11-04-2003, 10:00 AM
To you youngins, I really recommend living on your own (truly on your own with your own place) before getting married. It's a lot of fun and a very freeing experience to not have to worry about anyone but yourself.:)

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-04-2003, 10:05 AM
I moved out during my second year of college. I worked throughout college as a waitress, and I shared an apartment with a friend for the first year. Then my boyfriend (now husband) moved to an apartment together.

I can't say what's best for everyone, but looking back on my personal experience I am really glad that I lived "on my own" before I moved in with my husband. For me, at 18, this gave me the chance to prove to myself that I could succeed independently, which really helped my self-confidence.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Stay away from loser boyfriends! Build a little savings to fall back on.

To you youngins, I really recommend living on your own (truly on your own with your own place) before getting married.
These are both great!

I did it all the wrong way. If I had to do it over again, I would do it completely different than I did. I moved in with my boyfriend the summer of my 18th year, right after graduating from high school. I was 18 he was 26. Talk about a loser boyfriend. At first it was wonderful (of course). We were both working and life was good. Then in fall I went back to school and kept working part-time. He ended up losing his job, but still kept money coming in every now and then. We were beyond poor at one point and all I can say is Thank God for parents! Even though they didn't agree at all with what I was doing, they weren't going to let their little girl starve - whew!

Well, to make a long story short, I eventually ended up supporting him and one day it hit me - what the h*ll am I doing with my life!?! Dumped him, got a place with a girl I worked with and spent money on what I wanted to spend money on instead of everything he wanted. Living with the girl from work didn't workout so well because of her dependence on a loser boyfriend (I could see myself all over again and she wouldn't take any advice), so I eventually moved into a place by myself. Lived on my own, dating now and then but single for the most part - for the next 10-12 years and those were some of the best years of my life! Living on your own - with no boyfriend - really teaches you a lot about yourself. This part I wouldn't have done any different, it's the first loser boyfriend I would totally redo. ;)

Anyway, moving out is definitely a learning experience, no matter how you do it. We all have to do it eventually, and my advice would be to stay home as long as possible. Save up as much money as you can while you're there 'cause you're definitely going to need it when the time comes to be on your own, whether you're totally on your own or with a boyfriend or hubby.

I could go on and on about this because so many young kids do it all wrong like I did, but I guess everyone has to learn on their own. Oh and one last thing, when your parents offer advice - listen to them!!! I didn't and now wish I had. I know that's hard to do when you're young and know everything and have the world by the tail. But they have been there and know what you're going through and are really only trying to help and make it easier on you than it was for them.

:)

2kitties
11-04-2003, 10:43 AM
At 17, I moved into the dorms at college and never looked back. Spent 2 years in dorms then moved off campus with a roommate. No way I'd have lived with my parents again.

shais_mom
11-04-2003, 12:50 PM
I lived at home until I was 23 when I bought my house. I had planned on moving out when I was 18 also, but I chose to go to the local community college about 20 min from home so I just stayed at home. I had it gooooooooooood!!! No rent no car payment no college payment!!! I was/am very very very very lucky. And I have wonderfully awesome parents. I had no reason TO leave!
I got thru college, and got my job which is where I still work. I was only part time then so I had to work another part time job also, which I did for 2 years then, I got full time. So I quit the retail job. I started at the hospital in January and bought my house in June.
I would definately reccommend saving as much as you can, do not get a credit card, that is my downfall. If you do only get one and have them put only a couple hundred dollar balance on it. USE IT SPARINGLY. And if you can at all possible buy a car first and PAY IT OFF before you move out, that would save you another payment. I didn't have a car payment the first 2 1/2 years of living on my own. Makes a big difference

Edwina's Secretary
11-04-2003, 01:07 PM
I went 3000 miles away to college and lived in dormitories. I went to school year round so I could graduate early and follow my boyfriend. Then I realized I wasn't in love. What to do? I was 20 years old so I went home to my parents. Worked at the job I had in high school (desk clerk at a resort) for two months until I found "real " job. It was November 1. My mother said I could stay with them until the first of the year if I wanted to save money. I had already rented an apartment.

I lived alone for the next 20 years until I met the man who is my husband. I rented, I bought, I sold, I bought. Moved around alot.

My advice....learn to feed yourself... My mother did not teach me to cook. She made me whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. To this day my ability to feed myself is extremely limited and highly dependent on carryout!

ramanth
11-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I chose to go to the local community college about 20 min from home so I just stayed at home. I had it gooooooooooood!!! No rent no car payment no college payment!!! I was/am very very very very lucky. And I have wonderfully awesome parents. I had no reason TO leave!
That's exactly what I did! :D

(I had to pay insurance though but the car I drove was handed down to me ~ it was the old family car)

I also had to pay the phone bill for any long distance calls. No biggie. :)

I was in no hurry to move out when I graduated from HS. I lived at home till I was about 24. Then I made a STUPID mistake. I let my boyfriend at the time (who lived in the dorms) convince me to get an apartment with him. Before the 1st year was up we broke up and he kicked me out.

He then told me that if I truely wanted to keep the breakup peaceful and try to be friends, that I'd help him pay the rent since he couldn't afford it on his own. I should of told him to Pi$$ off, but like a stupid sucker, I helped him pay. :mad:

I was living at home during this time and mom and dad were very supportive. I got to live at home rent free (I had Kia too and they weren't too sure about her at first) until I got myself back on my feet.

It took awhile but I finally found a place that took dogs Kias size and I've been living there for a year and 5 months. :)

I was really scared about living on my own, but now, it's a piece of cake! (a nice job does help) :)

Dakota's Mommy
11-04-2003, 02:36 PM
My situation was a little weird compare to others! I graduated high school and stayed at home while going to college. While in college, I got married but with my husband in the army and headed to Korea a month later, I still stayed at my parents to save money and finish up my associates! So, I was 2 years out of high school, a month out of college, and married for a year before I moved out with Brian. But, even then, we moved to Texas and into military housing. That was in June of 2002. In April he left for Iraq so now I'm fully living alone for the first time. It's kind of weird for me! I love having our own place but I can't wait for him to be back here because I really thought it was better with him here to share it all with! As for pets, we got Dakota in July of 2002, Destiny in October of 2002, and Sierra in March of 2003. I love my parents and wish we lived closer to them, but it's so nice to be out of their house so that we all have our own space!

Chinadoll
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Started college at 17, moved out of my Mother's house at 19. I lived at my Grandmothers until I was 22. While at my grandmothers I worked part time and full time( depending on the semester) and went to school. Although I paid all my own bills(credit cards, phone bills, and tuition, books etc..) I didn't consider myself on my own until I got my own apartment at 22.

I still had one semester of college left when I got my own apartment. I was just starting a new full time, better paying job when I moved. I do not reccomend moving when you're just starting a new job and are unsure of your financial situation and job status. The job worked out great, but I didn't know that at the time I moved.

Working full time and going to school was hard. If you can stay at home while in school or have your parents help you with living expenses while in school, it's extremely less stressful.

Even though it was hard that last semester I was in school, it was fun living on my own. Didn't really grocery shop...lived on macaroni and cheese and PB & J. I could keep things the way I wanted them and could clean and vaccuum at 3 am if I wanted to.

I know some people at first live with roommates and that's fine, but I personally don't think anyone should move in with their boyfriend/girlfriend just because they want to live on their *own* and that's the only way they can afford it. I think everyone should experience living on their own and being responsible for themselves before they move in with someone(ie. a boyfriend/girlfriend). It's an amazing freedom. (and this is not putting down those that did move in with their boyfriends/girlfriends for whatever reason when they first moved out) JMO that was what was right for me, not to say that that is the right thing for all, but I still think it's an experience that one should have.

Forgot to add... I had 3 ferrets when I moved into my own apartment. That quickly expanded into 5 ferrets and 3 cats. It may be harder but if you know you want pets, spend that extra time to serach for a good pet friendly place to live.

2kitties
11-04-2003, 03:10 PM
For me, and this is just me so I don't want to offend anyone, the most important years are those between parents and significant other. I did the roomate thing, then the solo thing.
Personally, I feel that living on your own- completely- is an important step in life. I respect those who don't, but it was best for me. Also, I would never ever choose a man who had never lived on his own. Nope. I wanna know for sure he can do his own laundry, pay his own bills and clean his own toilets. That's just a big deal to me.

Chinadoll
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Also, I would never ever choose a man who had never lived on his own. Nope. I wanna know for sure he can do his own laundry, pay his own bills and clean his own toilets. That's just a big deal to me.

Amen. Joey just moved into his own apartment. He was going to earlier but the Marine Corps moved him to Iraq instead. Anywho, he had orginally wanted to move in with me. I know he wanted to because he loves me (he said he knew on our first date he knew he was going to marry me), but I felt he needed the experience of living on his own. I know that after we're married he's going to turn all the bills over to me, but for just a little while I want him to experience and do it himself...that way he won't take it for granted(hopefully!) when I do it and other things around the house when we're married.

RICHARD
11-04-2003, 03:22 PM
during one point in my 'travails' I lived in a house with no
fridge or stove....

I used an ice chest to keep stuff cold and when I wanted hot food I heated food on a floor heater...

It was hard but fun.....yes i think people need to struggle a bit to appreciate what they do not have.

I personally would never vacumn at 3 a.m.....I'd be washing dishes or cleaning out a closet!

;)

Chinadoll
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I personally would never vacumn at 3 a.m.....I'd be washing dishes or cleaning out a closet!

;)

lol...I hate vaccumming, therefore it is the last chore I do when I clean. When I lived in my little apartment(that had no insulation between the walls), vaccumming at 3am was my revenge for the upstairs neighbors who played their music too loud all the time...that and doing the dishes and turning on the garbage diposal early in the morning. Petty, but oh so satisfying.

neko1
11-05-2003, 06:15 AM
Wow, I must be in the 1% minority here! Brian and I never had any troubles while living together. It was (and is) a great experience for us. We always help each other out and have done so since the beginning. 7-1/2 years we are together now.
I've never had the "loser boyfriend" thing with him. We always managed to work things out.

I know most people on here think that it's bad to live with your boyfriend when you first move out of your parent's house, but I did it with no problems! (Maybe there's something wrong with us?!);) :o

Tonya
11-05-2003, 07:21 AM
I had a nightmare last night about this thread. My son's teacher read my post and thought I was a total loser. I was all upset because she hated me. Sounds lame, but in my dream it was all dramatic. lol. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
11-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
but I chose to go to the local community college about 20 min from home so I just stayed at home. I had it gooooooooooood!!! No rent no car payment no college payment!!! I was/am very very very very lucky. And I have wonderfully awesome parents. I had no reason TO leave!

That's what I plan on doing as well. We have plenty of good colleges/universities near my home. I have no reason to leave. Also, my dad bought my brother a car, and said he's going to buy me one too, so I really won't have anything to pay for. Our dad gets us the cars. :p

I really have no reason to leave young, nor do I want to. I love my parents, I love my family, and I hate the idea of moving out and living alone, yet putting responsibility on my shoulders. I am soooooooo not living alone. I will learn to live, I will learn responsibility, but I can learn these things while living home. I really have no reason to leave. My brother's 21 and still home........goes to university near home, lives home.....he's happy. I'm a girl, the younger one, the one who's looked after more :o, and when my parents will get me a car, when I have my nice house to live in WITH my family, and can go to school at the same time, why on earth would I want to leave? No way would I take a little dorm room shared with strange people over the comfort of my home and my family. I'm soooooooooo not moving out. I haven't even thought of it, and my parents wouldn't want it either. They like having their kids home and not having to worry about them. :p

All Creatures Great And Small
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I don't think any of the stories told so far could be called "right" or "wrong" options. Sometimes you get what life throws at you, not what you plan or hope for. I lived at home until the day I got married at 22. (I remember that day - I woke up, had a bowl of Raisin Bran as usual, and sat there at the table thinking how freaky it was that I would be eating Raisin Bran in "my own place" tomorrow.) I was working in a low-paying retail job (which I still have, but it pays much better now ;) ) and had dropped out of high school during my senior year, and really had no ambition or plans for life. I was too afraid to look for a roommate and live with someone I barely knew, and I had no friends whom I could move in with. I sure couldn't make it on my own on my single salary. I was paying my mother for a portion of the rent, utilities, and phone, so I wasn't getting a "free ride" all the way. I didn't have a car until just before we got married, when my then-fiance bought me a VERY used one, for which I paid the insurance premiums, gas, etc. I took the bus to work and borrowed mom's car for shopping, and depended on my friends to take me to "fun" places. I didn't want to move in with my boyfriend/fiance before marriage, because I had seen that go bad so many times with girls I knew. I wanted to have some sort of legal recourse if/when he kicked me out, and I wanted concrete tangible evidence of our commitment to each other and to staying together. Once we were married, we had a joint account credit card, but it was used ONLY for unexpected expenses such as car repairs or uncovered medical expenses. (We both had health/dental insurance through our employers, thank goodness.) We just kind of learned how to function in the world by trial and error. One thing that all of you here have going for you is access to the Internet, which we didn't back in the stone age when I was first starting out. You have such a wealth of information available to help you make financial decisions, learn to repair things on your own, you name it. All we had were TV, the Yellow Pages (and our rotary dial phone :eek: ) , and the library. :D :p Another thing that worked in our favor is that we were both VERY committed to keeping our jobs and staying gainfully employed, no matter how much we hated going to work each day. I know some couples today where one or the other of them won't get a job, or keeps quitting jobs they have for stupid reasons, and causing a lot of financial strain. Basic lesson: WORK STINKS, but you have to deal with it, especially if you're in the position my husband and I are, with neither of us being college-educated and having limited opportunities.

Even though I have never lived "on my own", I am a VERY independent, self-sufficient person, and I function perfectly well when my husband is out of town for extended periods. I run the household completely, I'm in charge of all the finances, I can operate power tools and the lawn mower, so the only thing I "depend" on him for is lifting heavy objects (although I confess I do fall asleep much quicker when I have him as a "bedwarmer" next to me :p ). So although I may have made some "wrong" choices, it all turned out wonderful, and I'm so happy with my life up to now. (I'm not the kind of person who looks back and laments anyway; it doesn't do anything but make you feel bad.)

All Creatures Great And Small
11-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I had a nightmare last night about this thread. My son's teacher read my post and thought I was a total loser. I was all upset because she hated me. Sounds lame, but in my dream it was all dramatic. lol. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the psychology of dreams......I don't think that's lame at all, because it obviously means something to you. I find dreams to be really interesting and usually very indicative of something going on in real life. My interpretation of it (and I'm definitely an amateur at interpreting dreams) is that you are worried about setting an example for your son. Your son's teacher represents YOU in the role as a teacher for your son, and her disapproval of your story represents your own disapproval. You were upset because "you/teacher" thought the post made you sound like a loser.

Life is definitely a "learn as you go" experience, and everyone makes mistakes or takes a turn they wish they hadn't. You're not a loser by any means, and you obviously know the value of hard work, education, and financial responsibility, so you'll pass that on to your son. I think being a parent has to be the scariest "learn as you go" experience in life! (I have a 16 year old daughter myself, and it's been a trip :D )

Tonya
11-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Thank you!

Uabassoon
11-05-2003, 07:27 PM
For me living in the dorms was a great transition for me, while I don't think I could ever handle living in a dorm room again it was a nice step from living at home to being on my own. Because everything was paid for with my financial aid at the begining of the semester I didn't have to worry about any bills, and when I worked that was all my spending cash. However now when my finanical aid comes I worry that I will spend it all at once, thankfully my parents feel the same way so I give them the money and they send me a little of it every month. I realize that when I'm actually working a real job I won't be getting 6 months salary at once, so by getting money monthly I still have to be able to manage it and make it last an entire month. I have slipped up a few times thinking oh I can spend a lot of money this week and just won't spend as much next week.. but it never seems to work out right. I'm thankful that I have great parents who are willing to help me out on the rare occasion I have to ask for some money to pay the phone bill.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-05-2003, 08:48 PM
I have a dilemma. I want to move out really bad, but I don't, ya know? Cuz they said I can't get anymore pets till I move out... So I was like YEAH I'm leaving my senior year, but then money comes into play. I have a job right now, doesn't pay to much, but it's enough, but right now it's being saved for Christmas. I don't know what to do about money for college, I am thinking about waiting a year till I'm 19-20. I need time to get things sorted out and find a way to get enough money to get myself THROUGH college before I even think about going. I'm really nervous, I'm only a freshman and it's been bugging me that I won't have money for college, and I don't want to have to rely on my parents to get me through something that I want to do myself. When I move out, I WANT to go get every pet from the animal shelter, but I highly doubt that... Right away, at least. That's my big plans. Go to college, study to be a veterinarian (I can never spell that right...) and when I finish, and am finally a vet, I want to move out to a farm for starters, and rescue dogs. Then, maybe if the time comes that I have enough money, I want to move onto a ranch of some sort. Yeah, basically I have my whole life planned out.. But honestly, I'm scared about college. I really really am.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I personally, can't wait to move out. But I know it probably won't be until I'm 20 or 21. :o
Right after high school I plan to go to College and study to become a veterinarian. When I finish, I hope to be able to open my own rescue center for unwanted/abused Golden Retrievers. When I move out, I will be taking taking Daisy. I really hope College is better then High School, because I HATE it. Way to much stress.
I'm still young, but this is what I have planned out. :)

wolfsoul
11-05-2003, 10:46 PM
My plans are moving out when I'm 17 (BELIEVE ME, I will! lol. Besides, my mom is making me pay rent if I don't), going to the CWCC dog training college in Salmon Arm (which means I'll have to rent a house in Salmon Arm for a while...Ashley will be my roomie, right?!)...Starting out small as a dog trainer possibly in a larger company, like Petcetera. Then start my own training business (Possibly with Jynnelle, and Ashley if she moves here, cuz I don't wanna go to Van!! :p hehe). When I raise enough money I want to start my own animal shelter, for every kind of animal. :) I'm hoping that my aunt will stay in her house until then so that I'll be able to rent it. That means moving to Lake Country, which will be great! There is so much farmland there, and my aunt owns a small farm with lots of room for my dogs and my shelter dogs to run around and play. :) That's my dream.