PDA

View Full Version : Is this dog food ok?

My Peanuts
11-03-2003, 03:29 PM
After reading some posts on other topics I realized I really don't know much about the food that my family is feeding my dogs. It is hard to find reliable information because there are so many websites with ads on them. I feed my dogs dry Eukanuba. I used to mix the wet with the dry, but they like the dry alone better. Occasionally they eat a raw egg in it, or I may put some warm water in it, just to change things a bit. Sylvia eats the petite puppy kind and Harley eats the active adult kind. Is Eukanuba good food? :confused: If not please give me some suggestions. I feel like this is something I should have researched already :( . Please don't be too harsh :)

CamCamPup33
11-03-2003, 03:34 PM
You obviously know pettalk too well, Dont be too harsh? Harsh about what?:p As far as i know eukanuba is a good dog food, Cami has been eating beniful.. (SP) Cami likes it, its a change for her.. If you doubt it just do some research on it.. and that will help you out alot!

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 03:42 PM
I know that I am very critical when it comes to dog foods, so you may not want to listen to me lol. I don't like Eukenuba (Iams) because they are owned by a company that tests on animals (ironic, eh?). There is a rumor going around that they stopped, but it isn't true. Undercover agents have noticed only minimal changes. I also don't like them because I believe that all of their food contains corn, by-products, chemical preservatives and artificials.

Some foods I know that I like are: Wellness, Canidae, Innova and Pro Plan (not Purina Pro Plan). However these foods are pretty expensive..

Dawn
11-03-2003, 03:43 PM
I think Eukanuba dog food is good food-I am a natural freak myself and always read the labels. It's important that the first ingredient be a meat of some-sort. That means it is mostly made up of meat. The ingredients have to be put in order of the largest portion to the least. So the first few ingredients make up the majority of what's in the food.
I have tried several-my dog is very picky- he seemed to like Nutro best and he was on Nutro Natural Large Breed formula, which includes glucosamine for his joints-but lately he is not eating it sometimes. I recently found a new dog food -which the first three ingredients are Chicken, Turkey and chicken meal. It is called "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers' Soul" I really liked what it had in it and tried mixing it with his current food and he actually devoured it! So I am weeding him off Nutro onto this and he is eating good again.
You can do a comparison of dog foods by checking labels-and if you are unsure what something is - look it up or ask someone more familiar with it. then make a decision based on your dog-(his size, energy level, and coat) and then you could always switch -but do it slowly by mixing them together, and using less and less of the one you are taking away. This will prevent diarrah.
And you could also ask your vet-but usually they have a brand that is willing to sell to them cheap-if they will recommend it-so that is not always the "best" food for your dog.

Kfamr
11-03-2003, 03:46 PM
I looked at the ingredients online and Corn Meal is the third ingredient on the list, Iams tests on animals.. so I wouldn't feed it to mine.

Some have told me to stay away from products with corn in the first few (main ingredients) on the list.

With Beneful, it's one of the first on the list.

We're almost done with our bag of Beneful and we will be switching.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Some have told me to stay away from products with corn in the first few (main ingredients) on the list.

Yes, corn is something to stay away from. I know that one Eukenuba product has corn as the second ingredient. But the other has corn divided into two categories (like groud corn, and corn grits) which is just a way to make the corn quantity look smaller, but really it's the same stuff.

Samantha Puppy
11-03-2003, 03:50 PM
I couldn't afford the expensive stuff for Sam, so she gets Pedigree - dry and canned. She seems to like it well enough - always finishes her bowl up without even coming up for air!!

Kfamr
11-03-2003, 03:51 PM
I noticed you said you didn't like Purina Pro plan.... Is it an ok food?

Are there any cheap "good" foods that you'd recommend?
Ones that you could find at the grocery store, peferrably.

*EDIT!*-- I didn't mean you didn't like the food, just that you said (not Purina)

aly
11-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I know that I am very critical when it comes to dog foods, so you may not want to listen to me lol. I don't like Eukenuba (Iams) because they are owned by a company that tests on animals (ironic, eh?). There is a rumor going around that they stopped, but it isn't true. Undercover agents have noticed only minimal changes. I also don't like them because I believe that all of their food contains corn, by-products, chemical preservatives and artificials.

Some foods I know that I like are: Wellness, Canidae, Innova and Pro Plan (not Purina Pro Plan). However these foods are pretty expensive..

I agree.

Nutro Max is an excellent brand that compares in price to Eukanuba and is much higher quality.

Logan
11-03-2003, 04:06 PM
One of my friends has done a pretty good analysis of many dog and cat foods. And she will add to the list if you ask her to. You can see it at www.greatgoldens.com .

Good luck! We are using IAMS food right now because we had so much success with it before when Lilly and Honey needed to lose weight. We're feeding the blue bag, and yes, it has corn in it, but so far, so good. I would not have a problem feeding Eukanuba either. And when the budget allows, if you want to upgrade to a more natural dog food, you can. Actually, for what you're paying for Eukanuba, which is more expensive than Iams, you can probably get a pretty good food! :)

Logan

My Peanuts
11-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sylvia is out of her puppy food and I'm going to get her some after work. I think I'm going to buy a small bag of the Eukanuba so I can mix it with some Nutro Max until she is just on the Nutro Max. I had no idea Iams tested on animals and it sickens me! I'm going to wean Syl and Har starting today. Can I buy Nutro Max at most pet supply stores, specifically Pet supplies Plus?

Cincy'sMom
11-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Bottom line on dog food, is how does your dog do on it? Do they like it? Do they have healthy, shiny coats? Etc etc

Eukanuba is not the best food our there, but it is not the worst either. Personally, I feed my dogs California Natural, (recently changing over from sensible Choice, which is also a very good food) which is made with human grade food. That doesn't mean it is the best food for every dog.

I have posted this before, but I thinkit is worth posting again.

There is a free publication on the webThe Whole Dog Journal, which in Feb. 2003 rated dog foods and chose these to be the "Top dry foods" ( alphabetical order)

Atremis "Natural 6 Mix"
Azmira's "Classic"
Back to Basics "Chicken"
Bench and Field "Holistic Canine Formula"
Burns "Brown Rice & Ocean Fish"
Canidae
Drs Foster & Smith "Adulat Maintenance, Chicken and Brown Rice"
Eagle Pack Holsitic Select
Flint River Ranch "Dry Water LC"
Go! Natural "Super Premium Chicken, Fruit & Vegetable"
Lifespan
Limited Diets "Duck and potato"
Natura Pet Prodcuts " California Natual, Innova"
Natural Balance "Ultra Premium"
Pinnacle
Prairie "Lamb and Rice Medley"
Prime Life
PHD Canine Growth and Maintenance
Royal Canin " Nautral Blend Adult Formula"
Showbound Naturals
Solid gold "Hund-n-Flocken, Millennia"
Timberwolf Organics
Verus "Gp Advantage Diet"
Wellness "Super 5 Mix-Lamb"
Wysong "Maintenance"

My Peanuts
11-03-2003, 04:11 PM
thanks Cincysmom, I'm going to print that list and take it with me to the pet supply store :D

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM

Are there any cheap "good" foods that you'd recommend?
Ones that you could find at the grocery store, peferrably.
Nutro Dental Care isn't bad. It has some chemical preservatives, but they aren't exceptionally harmful like ethoxiquin or BHA/BHT. :) It's about $10 for a small bag, but the kibble seems to run out quickly because the kibble bits are pretty big.

Dawn
11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Sorry, I don't buy any dog foods at the grocery store, so I can't recommend one.
wolfsoul, take a look at the ingredients in this dog food and let me know what you think-it's new on the market and I found it at a holistic animal pet shop. You seem to have a deeper knowledge than most of us. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something-it all sounded good to me. http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/formulasnew.html#AdultDog

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:17 PM
I noticed you said you didn't like Purina Pro plan.... Is it an ok food?

*EDIT!*-- I didn't mean you didn't like the food, just that you said (not Purina)
Personally I'm not fond of Purina anything lol. Pro Plan has corn in it's third ingredient. I believe it also has artificials in it, but I can't remember. :)

CamCamPup33
11-03-2003, 04:20 PM
So beneful is a bad choice? Thats the only food cami really takes too..

Kfamr
It's too expensive at the pet stores. We can barely afford food for ourselves sometimes.

We get Purina products for free though.

wolfsoul
Originally posted by Dawn
Sorry, I don't buy any dog foods at the grocery store, so I can't recommend one.
wolfsoul, take a look at the ingredients in this dog food and let me know what you think-it's new on the market and I found it at a holistic animal pet shop. You seem to have a deeper knowledge than most of us. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something-it all sounded good to me. http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/formulasnew.html#AdultDog
It does have some chemical preservatives, but they aren't anything detrimental. Otherwise, it has some good ingredients. Notice the cranberry powder...Is this formula for good breath? It does look like it might be a little too rich for a dog's stomach. I'd switch over to this slowly. Great food though!

stacwase
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I also really like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dog food, because it's made from human-grade ingredients. There's nothing in there that isn't fit for human consumption!

When I add water to it, it smells so delicious that people coming in the house ask what's cooking.

Jake wouldn't touch the Iams I bought him, which is why I decided to try the Chicken Soup. He eagerly devours it! I even tried a teensy tiny nibble and it tastes delicious.

It's very well formulated and healthy, and the senior formula contains ingredients for joint health.

The price is the same as for Iams or any other quality food.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
So beneful is a bad choice? Thats the only food cami really takes too..
Well, if it's the only food Cami will eat, there isn't much you can do. :) Your dog should always like the food you feed it.

Here are the ingredients of Beneful, from the Purina website.

One thing that I really don't like is the fact that there is no meat until the 7th ingredient, when it should be in both the first and second ingredient.

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
F-4090

My Peanuts
11-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
I also really like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul dog food, because it's made from human-grade ingredients. There's nothing in there that isn't fit for human consumption!

Where do they sell this? I don't think I have ever seen it.

stacwase
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Personally I'm not fond of Purina anything lol. Pro Plan has corn in it's third ingredient. I believe it also has artificials in it, but I can't remember. :)

I agree with Wolfsoul about the Purina. I used to use proplan and Jake did great on it, but he's much more energetic since we switched. I had heard bad things about it.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by My Peanuts
I've never seen it in stores either. I think that you have to order it...:confused:

Kfamr
11-03-2003, 04:43 PM
So jordan -- What do you think is the best out of the "cheaper" foods... Like the ones you can find in the grocery store...

I'll be back later -- Simba and Nala are wanting to go for a walk.. I put Nala's harness on but went to check PT first :p

Shelteez2
11-03-2003, 04:45 PM
I pretty much agree with what everyone has said.

First and foremost when regarding your dog's food, the most important thing is how your dog is doing on it. Do their teeth look nice, is their breath good, is their coat shiny and healty, are they free of allergies, dry skin and ear infections (yes all can be diet related). Some dogs do better on middle of the range foods. That is what I consider Eukanuba btw.

For my dogs personally, I would never feed a food with corn in it. I also try to avoid a food with too many grains in it. One thing you have to be careful of when reading labels is the splitting of ingredients. For instance the first ingredient might be meat, but if the next 5 or 6 are some types of grains and/or corn then the food is not that great.
I feed Innova, and raw on the weekend. Soon I will switch to a completely raw diet.

I agree. I also wouldn't recommend any food that can be bought in a grocery store.
Excpet maybe Kirkland brand dog food which can be found in Costco and is made by Diamond I believe. It is another middle of the road food that I've heard good things about.

Notice the cranberry powder...Is this formula for good breath

Wolfsoul, why do you say that? What does cranberry have to do with good breath? Just curious :) I always thought cranberry is more for the urinary tract.

It's very well formulated and healthy, and the senior formula contains ingredients for joint health.

Stacwase, just so you know most foods that have something like glucosomine in them for joint health, don't have it in the levels that would actually be beneficial to your dog's joints. Instead it might be better to buy the glucosomine yourself and add it in seperately :)

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:47 PM
So jordan -- What do you think is the best out of the "cheaper" foods... Like the ones you can find in the grocery store...

I said Nutro Dental Care but I think you missed my post lol. :) A couple other Nutro foods aren't that bad either. Nutrience has some good foods. Hummm...I'm trying to think of some more lol. I'll have to take a trip over to the pet shop after school. There are so many different brands. Sometimes one brand might have a bunch of bad foods, but some really good ones too.

Shelteez2
11-03-2003, 04:50 PM
I said Nutro Dental Care but I think you missed my post lol. :) A couple other Nutro foods aren't that bad either. Nutrience has some good foods. Hummm...I'm trying to think of some more lol. I'll have to take a trip over to the pet shop after school. There are so many different brands. Sometimes one brand might have a bunch of bad foods, but some really good ones too.

She's looking for foods that can be found in a grocery store (like purina, iams, eukanuba, and various no name brands), not a pet store. I don't think Nutro is sold in grocery stores.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2

Wolfsoul, why do you say that? What does cranberry have to do with good breath? Just curious :) I always thought cranberry is more for the urinary tract.

Cranberry is supposed to contain something that makes the bacteria in the mouth less sticky so that plaque won't form as easily. :) You're right about urinary tract too. :) I give my rats cranberry for the UTI reason.

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
She's looking for foods that can be found in a grocery store (like purina, iams, eukanuba, and various no name brands), not a pet store. I don't think Nutro is sold in grocery stores.
Oooh lol. Sorry, grocery stores aren't a place I go regularly lol. I wouldn't know. :) Just make sure you don't buy the grocery store's brand. I've noticed that all of the stores that have their own "special" brand are really selling terrible foods. Like Ol' Roy and President' Choice.

clara4457
11-03-2003, 04:58 PM

There are some stores that sell it, but they are usually the smaller pet shops. You will not find it in a Petsmart, Petco or Pet Supplies Plus. In my area there is one store that sells almost all of the more specialized dog and cat foods, such as Innova, Wellness, etc. If you do find a store that sells these types of pet foods and they don't carry it, many times they will order it for you. Since they get the food from distributors they will not charge you shipping costs. The website also has a list of retail shops that carry it here (http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/cslocator_distributors.html) You just need to select your area.

My personal opinion is that for the slightly higher cost of the food is more than outweighed by the health benefits of feeding a better quality food. Also, if you buy it in a large bag, the price difference is minimal. If cost is a factor, there are some good quality foods that are pretty reasonable - Nutro being one of them. Nutro can also be gotten at Petsmart.

ChrisH
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I changed Bob`s food to Burns brown rice and chicken a little while ago and he is doing really well on it. I chose it because it is a holistic natural food, also all Burns food is approved under the BUAV's new 'No Animal Testing' Pet Food Standard. (Here is a link to the BUAV site if you would like to know more http://www.helpthedogs.org/index_campaigns.html)

Burns is available online in the USA and Canada, and there is also a toll-free number for enquires. Here is the link if you want to check it out: Burns Pet Nutrition (http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm)
As I live in the UK, I don`t know how it compares pricewise to the other foods in the USA but there is a link in there to the online shops, where you can check out price (includes shipping), and ingredients too.

Pam
11-03-2003, 05:30 PM
I used Eukanuba for years with all of my other dogs and they did fine. Recently my daughter got a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog puppy and did lots of research on dog foods before bringing him home. She found Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul on a website and then was able to find it in some smaller pet supply stores nearby. PetsMart doesn't carry it now, but maybe in the future??? Anyway, I have been feeding it to Bella and Ripley for several months now and they are doing well on it. Around here anyway it compares equally in price with Eukanuba and the ingredients seem to be so much better.

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Kai was raised on Eukanuba up to about 7 or 8 months. He did fine. Like some have said, it all comes back to how YOUR dog is doing on it. For instance, Kai and Kae are on the raw diet. They're doing excellent but some dogs do horrible on it. As for the food itself, it's not my favorite but it's not the worst food out there either. I'd say somewhere in between. I think Eukanuba was one of those foods with lots of chemical looking words and little recognizable words. I tend to stay away from foods with lots of "long fancy" words.

Nutro is affordable and has pretty okay ingredients too. If price isn't much of an issue, wellness has EXCELLENT ingredients. Canidae and innova are good as well. Kai and Kae are fed raw but they're fed Chicken soup for the dog lover's soul when I just don't have time or run out of their normal food. I think the ingredients are great and it's actually not bad tasting (I confess, I try out a piece of kibble before feeding my dogs a new brand of food..Eukanuba tastes HORRIBLE).

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
They're doing excellent but some dogs do horrible on it.

(I confess, I try out a piece of kibble before feeding my dogs a new brand of food..Eukanuba tastes HORRIBLE).
That's something I tried to stress as much as possible on my site; that some dogs can do great on one diet, but terribly on another.

LOL! I could never eat dog food. :p Yuck hehe. Have you ever tried wet food?

stacwase
11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Sorry - I missed the ?s about where to get the Chicken Soup dog food. I don't think you'd have to order it. The area I live in is pretty remote, and it's available at the pet store and at the feed store in a nearby town. I think it's becoming available just about everywhere.

But - do a yahoo search for the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and their site has a partial listing of the places which carry it.

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:07 PM
LOL! I could never eat dog food. :p Yuck hehe. Have you ever tried wet food?

Lol, yuck no! Have you smelled wet food? Ew..just thinking about it makes me want to puke. Btw, wellness tastes good too. Lol..no wonder Kai hated Eukanuba..I just wanted to puke after trying it.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-03-2003, 07:15 PM
When we just had Molly, we fed her IAMS. I didn't know much about dog food then, so we stuck with that. Then when we got Daisy, we learned about the better quality foods, and switched to Nutro. They've been doing great on it. They seem to like it, and I've found their coats to be much shinier. :)

tikeyas_mom
11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I couldn't afford the expensive stuff for Sam, so she gets Pedigree - dry and canned. She seems to like it well enough - always finishes her bowl up without even coming up for air!!

somtimes just because a dog likes somthing doesnt mean it is good for them.. It is like when you take a lil kid to A&W and they of corse like it, but that doesnt mean it is good for them..

I would just feed a homcooked diet if I couldent afford to get a good dog food, home hooked diets are not that bad money wize, the barf diet is much more expensive..

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on the raw egg. I give my dogs an egg twice a week. I've read that it has alot of benifits just as long as you give a whole egg. I think the egg white causes biotin deficiency but the yolk has more than enough biotin that it makes up for the amount that the white takes away (if that makes sense..lol). After starting to give them eggs regularly, their coats have dramatically improved and have stayed healthy.

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
home hooked diets are not that bad money wize, the barf diet is much more expensive..

Actually, they're not terribly expensive. I pay about 4 dollars a week to feed two dogs on the raw diet. It all depends on how good a shopper you are ;)

wolfsoul
11-03-2003, 07:33 PM
somtimes just because a dog likes somthing doesnt mean it is good for them.. It is like when you take a lil kid to A&W and they of corse like it, but that doesnt mean it is good for them..

I would just feed a homcooked diet if I couldent afford to get a good dog food, home hooked diets are not that bad money wize, the barf diet is much more expensive..
I agree that dogs shouldn't just eat whatever they like -- it should be healthy too. But I also believe that it's important they like the food that they eat.

I'll be feeding homecooked when I move out. :)

Ashley -- 4 dollars a week?! :eek: Where do you shop?! lol.

binka_nugget
11-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Ashley -- 4 dollars a week?! :eek: Where do you shop?! lol.

Lol there's this little pet supplies store close to here that sells this premixed raw food with veggies. They have alot to choose from so there's lots of variety for them. All I have to worry about is eggs, bones and organs.

My Peanuts
11-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Ya know now that I think about it the Eukanuba probably was a bad choice. I thought it was good food when I first bought it, but both Sylvia and Harley were having skin problems. I didn't think much of it because they were both new to my home and I thought that maybe they just had allergies. Then I started giving them raw eggs (thanks for the advice pet talkers) and then allergies started to get better; less itching. I thought it was the seasons changing more than the egg!:rolleyes: . I found a pet store near my home that carries the chicken soup for the pet lover’s soul food. I think we will try that. THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

Christiansmommy
11-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Good choice. I feed Dale, and my cats, for that matter, Chicken Soup food. I just cant believe that it is actually cheaper than Eukanuba and the ingriedients are so much more appealing. I am glad i found it...i know the pet stores i go to, have all said that people say their pets love this stuff. Dale, and my cats, finish their food to the last drop, each day. Which, my cats didnt used to like their previous food, which was Iams...couldnt get them to finish it...

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 12:35 AM
I just switched the cats to Chicken soup and the hedgies get it as well,, mixed with Nutro................although I like Innova better. :p I tried Felidae canned and the cats like it, but they don't like the dry as well. Next dog will most likely get Chicken soup or Innova. Those are my favorites. :)

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 07:40 AM

I would just feed a homcooked diet if I couldent afford to get a good dog food, home hooked diets are not that bad money wize, the barf diet is much more expensive.. I had a dog that lived for 17 years eating Alpo and then Mighty Dog. So that food can't be that bad.

And maybe I'll have a little more money to spend on better food for Samantha when I'm done selling my soul to finance a simple wedding. :rolleyes: 'Til then, she's eating Pedigree.

ferky
11-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Miles' breeder had him on Eukanuba when we bought him and we continued it for about a month. He seemed to suffer from allergies so we switched him to Wellness - a natural food with more meat and vegitable products and no corn, soy or wheat. He loved it and is doing great. I highly recommend Wellness food and treats.

Keep in mind that not all good foods have to be bought at small or holistic pet stores. PetSmart just made their first endeavor into offering a natural, human grade ingredient food, and it's not too expensive! Blue Buffalo is now offered at PetSmart (that's the name of the company, there is no buffalo in the food) and from what I hear and read, it is a terrific choice. Here's their website and list of the ingredients in the adult formula:

http://www.bluebuffalocompany.com/

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Whey, Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite

RobiLee
11-04-2003, 09:03 AM
When we first got Katie we were feeding her Nutro Max. She did not seem to be thriving on this dog food. We then switched her to Eukanuba. My husband really wanted to try this food because his buddy at work has 2 akitas and this is what they eat and they are beautiful healthy akitas. Not too long after she starting eating this we noticed a difference in her. She loves the food and is definitely thriving now. She is healthy and happy and we also notice that her coat is even softer and shinier. I think it all just depends on what works for your dog.

Robin :)

Dawn
11-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Sorry, had to go for a while...
Wow I'm surprised how many people use Chicken Soup dog food, I guess when you live in the boonies you are always the last to know about new products.
Tyr loves it and he's so finicky!
But ya'll are right there are quite a few great dog foods out there...Innova and wellness I am familiar with-they're just hard to get here. I do use natural balance canned or another canned food that I can't remember the name of, as an added treat sometimes mixed in with the dry. I needed to do it before switching to Chicken Soup, but Tyr seems okay with just the dry now.
I get the canned food at the natural grocery store, a good place is Mother Earth, or Whole Foods. They have a great Pet section. You can get natural treats there too. They also sell dry dog foods there - I know they carry Wellness, but I'm not sure of other brands.
But basically-it really helps if your dog likes it-it can be healthy, but what good is it if they won't eat it?
As far as price-well, I'm single and have no kids-so my dogs are my kids-and no orice is too high for their well being & happiness.
I know not everyone can afford to feed the best-especially if you are feeding a large breed dog-but word of advice-you will actually feed less of a good food to your dog-cause with the cheap brands they need to eat more...not sure the whole reason-but it has something to do with the fillers and all. And they will poop less on a better food and in the long run you will save lots of money because they will be much healthier.

stacwase
11-04-2003, 09:23 AM
I don't know if this is true for everybody's dogs, or just for mine. But - the food seems to taste a lot better to them when it is soaked in water. I think that helps to bring the flavor out. So if you're having a hard time switching them over, you might try that. Just don't leave it soaking more than 1/2 hour or so or you might encourage bacteria.

binka_nugget
11-04-2003, 09:36 AM
I don't know if this is true for everybody's dogs, or just for mine. But - the food seems to taste a lot better to them when it is soaked in water. I think that helps to bring the flavor out. So if you're having a hard time switching them over, you might try that. Just don't leave it soaking more than 1/2 hour or so or you might encourage bacteria.

Yesterday, I switched them from Canidae to Chicken soup (I ran out of raw food). I soaked it after you said that it smelled fantastic so I was really curious. Kai gobbled it up. He's tried chicken soup before but he's never really been fond of kibble. He'll only eat it if he really has no choice and is really hungry.

lv4dogs
11-04-2003, 09:42 AM

I did not know of any other pro-plan. Do you know who makes it, where it is avail. at? The ingredients?

tikeyas_mom
11-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Ya know now that I think about it the Eukanuba probably was a bad choice. I thought it was good food when I first bought it, but both Sylvia and Harley were having skin problems. I didn't think much of it because they were both new to my home and I thought that maybe they just had allergies. Then I started giving them raw eggs (thanks for the advice pet talkers) and then allergies started to get better; less itching. I thought it was the seasons changing more than the egg!:rolleyes: . I found a pet store near my home that carries the chicken soup for the pet lover’s soul food. I think we will try that. THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

omg my mom got that book for me for my sweet 16 :D:D:D:D, it still hasnt come in yet, they had to ship it :eek:

tikeyas_mom
11-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ferky
[B]Miles' breeder had him on Eukanuba when we bought him and we continued it for about a month. He seemed to suffer from allergies so we switched him to Wellness - a natural food with more meat and vegitable products and no corn, soy or wheat. He loved it and is doing great. I highly recommend Wellness food and treats.

omg WELCOME< your shih tzu is the cutest puppy!!!!

tikeyas_mom
11-04-2003, 09:53 AM
personally I stick to Nutro, I feed Nutro "improve skin and coat"..Thats just what the pet store suggested :rolleyes: but whatever..

Samantha Puppy
11-04-2003, 10:46 AM
I went with what my vet suggested for the budget I was on.

robinh
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I was having skin problems with our oldest, Max. It's been an ongoing problem for years and it never occurred to me that it could be his food. I had been giving them Nutro. The other four dogs seemed to be doing very well on it, but still Max had a lot of allergy problems.

After talking to ParNone (and with Micki's help) I've changed to Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato dry food. All five have adapted well to it. With the Wellness, Max has been off his allergy medicine for about a week and he still chews a little, but there has been a major difference n the amount of time he spends itching himself. The cheapest place I've found to get it is Drs. Foster and Smith. It's a little more expensive, but not having to pay the cost of the meds Max has more than made up for the shipping charges.

Dakota's Mommy
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
We used to use Iams, which was great for Dakota and occationally Destiny, but it messed with Destiny occationally and gave Sierra a lot of Diahrea! So, before knowing that Iams tested on animals, we switched to Nutro Max and it's been working wonderful for all three of ours girls. It's about the same price as the Iam's but it looks to be a lot more natural and better for them. So, we're very happy with that!

Smilla
11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm glad to have seen this thread. I read through all the posts and tallied up the number of times each of you recommended a particular product. I think I'll switch from Iams, which Lefty is eating now, to either Nutro or the Chicken Soup (whichever I can find and afford).

mruffruff
11-04-2003, 01:00 PM
I just saw Chicken Soup at the Pet Supplies Plus store......Coming soon to a store near you??

The corn in dog food is what is usually blamed for itchies and allergies. It's basically a filler, both for the food and the tummy it lands in.

Mary

My Peanuts
11-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff
I just saw Chicken Soup at the Pet Supplies Plus store......Coming soon to a store near you??

The corn in dog food is what is usually blamed for itchies and allergies. It's basically a filler, both for the food and the tummy it lands in.

Mary

Actually it really doesn't matter much for me. The small pet store that carries the chicken soup food it about one minute past the Pet supplies Plus store. :)

wolfsoul
11-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I did not know of any other pro-plan. Do you know who makes it, where it is avail. at? The ingredients?
I'm pretty sure it's available at some local pet stores. It is at mine, atleast. :) I'll try and look up the ingredients. I remember that one of the things I didn't like about this food was that canola oil was pretty high up on the list...Yuck.

My Peanuts
11-04-2003, 09:07 PM
I bought Sylvia and Harley the chicken soup food after work today. I mixed in some of it with there Eukanuba and they loved it. Harley really loved it. All I heard was his tags clinging to the bowl! I told the guy at the pet shop that one of the reasons I switched was because Iams tests on animals and he said that's why they didn't carry it. It made me feel good that I was buying Sylvia and Harley's food from someone that is socially responsible.

wolfsoul
11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
I bought Sylvia and Harley the chicken soup food after work today. I mixed in some of it with there Eukanuba and they loved it. Harley really loved it. All I heard was his tags clinging to the bowl! I told the guy at the pet shop that one of the reasons I switched was because Iams tests on animals and he said that's why they didn't carry it. It made me feel good that I was buying Sylvia and Harley's food from someone that is socially responsible.
Glad they like it!

I wish that the pet shops around here were like that. :(

shais_mom
11-05-2003, 12:35 AM

FOR ONCE!
I have to agree with Jynelle!!
B/c dogs sometimes eat poop too but that isn't good for them either!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :o :o :o
I did feed Royal Canin Sensible Choice, but have switched Keegan to Chicken soup for the Dog lover's soul. I give her the Senior formula b/c it is lower in fat that the regular version.
I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus.
:p

wolfsoul
11-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
FOR ONCE!

:p
:eek: Has the universe imploded?! :p

anna_66
11-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by RobiLee
I think it all just depends on what works for your dog.

I totally agree. We fed them Eukanuba until I head about Chicken Soup. So slowly we switched, it was not a good swich for my dogs (we tried it for about 3 months). They were sooo gassy all the time & their poops was very soft, but not runny. Since I've switched them back to Eukanuba they are shedding less, not having gas & normal poops. So I guess we'll be sticking with Eukanuba.

Smilla
11-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Lefty eats poop. Yuck! He doesn't eat his own, but he seems to like the neighborhood cat's. He treats her yard like a buffet. I'm trying to get him to stop, which is another reason I'm researching dog foods. Until then, though, we're getting a lot of practice on the "Leave it!" command.

Smilla
11-05-2003, 12:45 PM
FYI, this is what I found on the Drs. Foster and Smith website, if anyone else is having this problem with their dogs. Unfortunately, the Dis-Taste and/or For-Bid products aren't options for us since Lefty is eating another person's cat's poop.

Q.
Why does my dog eat its stools?

A.
Dogs eat their stools for a variety of reasons, and this is actually a very common occurrence especially in puppies. One of the primary reasons dogs eat their stools is because as descendants of scavenging predators they have been doing this as a survival technique in lean times for thousands of years. Some dogs will do this out of boredom and still others find the taste appealing, especially when the dogs are fed a high quantity of poorly digested carbohydrates. Other dogs learn the behavior from another resident dog. For whatever reason it occurs, once it is started it then becomes a bad habit and needs to be corrected.
[ Back to top ]

Q.
Is there anything else I should do other than give Drs. Foster & Smith Dis-Taste?

A.
Changing the diet to one that is lower in carbohydrates and more digestible may make the stools less appealing. Increasing daily exercise also helps. The most important thing the owner can do is to make sure that the stool is not available, which may require a change in your pet's housing or increasing the frequency of waste clean up.
[ Back to top ]

Smilla
11-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Another vote for Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul--I bought some for Lefty, and he loves it! He sometimes couldn't even be bothered to eat the Iams, but he's been cleaning his bowl with this new food. I bought some Nutro Max wet dog food as well; I like putting 2-3 small spoonfuls in with his dry food.

Kfamr
11-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
FOR ONCE!

That's a VERY scary though Staci. Almost as scary as us agreeing.:eek:

CamCamPup33
11-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Hows kibbles and bits?

wolfsoul
11-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Hows kibbles and bits?
Kibbles and Bits is pretty bad lol. Too much corn... You can always tell which dog food is easiest on your dog's tummy by reading the ingredients and not seeing any corn, soy, peanut hulls, and other "fillers", by-products (the digestibility can vary) and seeing meat as the first (preferably) two ingredients.

tikeyas_mom
11-08-2003, 02:36 PM
I agree, kibbles and bits isnt good. I got a tiny bag for Tikeya once when she was just a pup and she didnt eat it. now I read the label and I kick my self for ever buying it!!

stacwase
11-11-2003, 06:06 PM
My Peanuts, I was just wondering how you and your dogs like the new food?

My Peanuts
11-12-2003, 12:37 PM
My Peanuts, I was just wondering how you and your dogs like the new food?

They absolutely LOVE it! Harley finishes all his food, which is not like him and Sylvia finishes most of her food. I also think that their skin is starting to look better and they itch less. I highly recommend the Chicken Soup food. And everyone that said it smells good was right. It smells much better than the Eukanuba did. I can't say enough good things about this food. Harley and Sylvia will be on this for life!:D

stacwase
11-12-2003, 06:14 PM
:D :D :D

I knew you'd love it. Jake has more energy since I switched him to it. And he can't wait to eat! Now it's no problem at all getting him to come inside after he goes potty, because he can't wait to eat.

I put the cats on it too. I wish I could show the difference in Toby's coat. It used to be very dull and now it's glossy.

Christiansmommy
11-12-2003, 07:00 PM

I put the cats on it too. I wish I could show the difference in Toby's coat. It used to be very dull and now it's glossy.

I agree about the difference in the cat's coats after being on the Chicken Soup Food...especially Guinness (my black cat)...it is soo shiny and Dandy's feels like an angora.

binka_nugget
11-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Today, I switched both boys to Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul. I'm a bit paranoid with the barf diet now. I was chopping bones when one splintered and was REALLY sharp. Until I do some more research and get some vet opinions, I'm feeding chicken soup. I just offered Kai a bowl of chicken soup, and he gobbled it up. It's a rare thing to see Kai eat his entire bowl of kibble. He's always been really picky.

trayi52
11-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Has anyone on here heard that soy was not good for a dogs digestive system? I heard that a pretty good while ago. I was just wondering if anybody here knew anything about that? Just curious.:confused:

wolfsoul
11-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Has anyone on here heard that soy was not good for a dogs digestive system? I heard that a pretty good while ago. I was just wondering if anybody here knew anything about that? Just curious.:confused:
Yes, that's true. :) Some dogs can handle soy, but it shouldn't be given to deep chested dogs or dogs who are partial to bloat. It's just another filler that the companies like to add. People always hear that soy is good for people, so they don't question whether it is good for dogs. Companies rely on that.

wolfsoul
11-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Remember that food I was talking about before? It was Pro PAC, not Pro PLAN. Duh, I got mixed up. :o There is another food called pro plan though.

Here are the ingredients that I found on a site that sells it. The only things I don't like are how it starts with a meal and there is only one animal protien in the first three ingredients. I also don't like the canola oil or chemicals. Haha, I'm picky.

Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Potato Flour, Ground Brown Rice, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brewers Rice, Millet, Quinoa, Amaranth, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavoring, Menhaden Fish Oil, Lecithin, Yeast Culture, Dried Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Dried Blueberries, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Dried Parsley, Dried Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Carnitine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate.

Sorry I took so long to reply about it!

trayi52
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Amazing how we become label readers, isn't it? I do the same thing.