PDA

View Full Version : Labs with Allergies

BayleeBoo
07-22-2001, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have a lab with allergies? My dog is only 6 months old and has a yeast infection in his ears. The vet said that allergies come with a labs makeup and that he MIGHT grow out of it. I have spent a lot of money on him because of this and I was just wandering if anyone else has a labrador with allergies! Thanks!
@---}]----------- :(

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-23-2001, 07:38 AM
My brother-in-law's lab had the same problem - it spread from his ears to his face! I know it took a long time (about 6 months) and alot of money for it to go away! Sorry I don't know which medications they used.

BayleeBoo
07-23-2001, 02:09 PM
Thanks! They are soooooo cute!

*LabLoverKEB*
07-24-2001, 04:02 PM
I have a Black Lab, named Sadie, but she doesn't have allergies, though! Wish I could help you out, but I don't know anything about that! :)

BayleeBoo
07-24-2001, 05:30 PM
Thanks LabLover! As a matter of fact my lab looks a whole lot like your dog! He is a chocolate lab as well! You ought to be glad your doesn't have allergies!

@---}]----------- :eek:

tatsxxx11
07-25-2001, 09:08 AM
My lab Star (2 1/2 y/o) hasn't shown any allergic reactions YET! She does have ear infections occasionally, especially since she's swimming every day! I've been trying to post some info. for you specifically on yeast type ear infections, but no luck yet! Hope the vet will be able to check him out soon!

BayleeBoo
07-25-2001, 12:28 PM
Really? How interesting, maybe he has infections from swimming as well. I take him to a park that has a lake and we go out on a boat occasionally and he literally scratches me to get in the water. You know I never thought about it, but that could have a lot to do with his infections! Thanks so much for that bit of information, and please send me some information if you find any about yeast infections in their ears! :p

chermes
07-26-2001, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear about those frustrating ear infections, once they start it's a battle to get them under contol. Check out this website www.vetinfo.com/dogear.html, (http://www.vetinfo.com/dogear.html,) it has an abundance of info. Good luck.

tatsxxx11
07-26-2001, 03:54 PM
Labradoodle and Baylee...The site you posted labradoodle, is the one I've been searching through and mentioned to Baylee previously. I have yet to find a posting there though specifically on fungal ear infections. It is a great site for all dog health issues. I'll keep looking as well.

tatsxxx11
07-27-2001, 07:51 AM
Baylee...I found the BEST vet. site yet for discussion of ear infections; symptoms, causes, treatments, etc., including yeast infections! It is too extensive to copy here, so I've included the address! I have included a bit of the article addressing yeast infections. It does mention swmimming/water in the ear canal as a common cause of yeast infections! Have a look! And hi to your labbie! What's his name??

Perpetuating factors
Perpetuating factors are those factors that allow the inflammaation and irritation to continue, even if and when the primary factor is controlled. These factors are often considered as primary factors....actual causes of otitis externa...however, they rarely start the inflammatory process.
Bacterial and yeast infections
Bacterial and yeast infections are the most common perpetuating factors. They are often (erroneously) considered as the cause or only important consideration in the treatment of otitis externa!
The most common bacteria associated with ear infections are Staphylococcus intermedius, Proteus mirabilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Pseudomonas spp infections are often notoriously difficult to control. (See treatment)
Bacterial infections of the ear result in malodor, excessive exudation (drainage of pus-like material), and ulceration. They frequently make the ear extremly painful to any handling.
Malassezia pachydermatis is the yeast found most frequently in association with otitis externa.
Malassezia organisms are considered normal inhabitants of the ear canals, although in small numbers.
Malassezia infections result in accumulation of a cream-to-dark waxy, odiferous discharge.
Malassezia otitis is frequently associated with a generalized cutaneous infection by the same organism.

http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/units/vth/noxon/otitis.html
Here's the link to the site!

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

BayleeBoo
07-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my dogs problem! That website was awesome! It had sooo much good information!
To:tatsxxx11
My dogs name is actually BayLee pronounced Bailey! I wanted his name to be different from all the other Bailey's because it is such a common dog name! He is doning sooo much better now and we have a checkup this upcoming Friday! He is acting much better though! Wish us luck! It's nice to know that I have other to talk to about my dog's problems! Thanks again everyone!
Baylee's Owner :) :eek: :D :cool:

tatsxxx11
07-27-2001, 05:24 PM
Hi BayLee's Mom! Happy to help! And happier still that the beautiful BayLee is feeling better :) And I sure do wish you and BayLee good luck on Friday! What a good labbie mom you are. By the way, my lab Star's mom is named Bailey...with the common spelling! Hugs to BayLee...And here's a pic. of my Star!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/CV/t3/tL/sE38723.jpg

Daisy's Mom
07-28-2001, 12:49 AM
Daisy here. Hey Star, my best labbie girl bud! Just thought I'd tell ya you look beautiful, as always. Bet you get all the boy doggies barkin' after ya, huh? :)
Slobbery Hound Kisses,
Daisy

tatsxxx11
07-28-2001, 08:12 AM
Hey Daisy my beautiful girl pal! Yes, I do love making all the boys at agility class turn their heads and drool! But, I just give em a swish of my tail and leave them panting!! :D Mom says I'm kinda stuck up. But I'm really just a teaser!! And Daisy, my bestest basset bud, I'll bet with those gorgeous long, soft ears and big brown eyes, you've got a long line of 4-leggers waitin in line for a kiss from the beautiful Daisy girl! Well, gotta got put on my best gear and brush my fur...we're off to go bye-bye in the trakter!! Hey, Daisy...Any chance yer mom can come with the nice Aunt Karen and visit us and Aunt Logan down here by the water??? My mom would love to meet your mom! Well....woofs for now and big kisses to my bud!! We'll be barkin again soon!

BayleeBoo
07-28-2001, 04:13 PM
Daisy's MOM:
I have a cousin which just adopted a basset hound from a shelter. Personally though, just to us, I think Daisy is a whole lot cuter.
Star's mom:
My best friend had a dog named star, but she's a chow. I'm sure Star is a head turner. My dog BayLee has a girlfriend named Roxy, but she's a rottie. I wish he had a lab girlfriend but there aren't any in our neighborhood! It's nice to know yall!
Thanks,
Bay's Mom, Sarah :rolleyes:

tatsxxx11
07-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Hi Bay! Star here. I wanted to tell you that if ever you're up our way, come on by and swim a lap in my pool with me and mom will give us lots of treats, too! And if come Feb., you don't have a labbie girlfriend, maybe I could be your Valentine?? :) (Or would that be Labentine??? :D Hope to see your handsome face on the screen soon! Love, Star

Daisy's Mom
07-28-2001, 10:23 PM
Daisy here. I am home alone! Mom went to New Hampshire again and her cousin who is our neighbor is gonna come over to take care of me. She's there until August 11, so she can't go meet Star and all the rest of you, but she was real sad about it. She loves you guys, and I do too of course! Well I should go... Mom is gonna think it's weird I'm usin' the pytooter by myself!

By the way Star, I have a boyriend! His name is Moe and he is Mom's best friend's Brittany Spaniel. We make a pretty good couple! ;)

Pam
07-28-2001, 10:56 PM
Star, it's so nice to see your beautiful face. As you recall, your mom posted a shot of you "from behind" before. :D Now don't get me wrong, you are a cutie from any angle but that face is to die for!! Now get Cody to pose just as pretty as you did! ;) I love seeing pictures of you girls. Keep that camera handy Sandra!

shais_mom
07-29-2001, 12:58 AM
Its great to see our Star*let's* face, She is soooo pretty!!

tatsxxx11
07-29-2001, 12:24 PM
Ah, geez Pet Talk mom's. Thank you for sayin such nice things bout me!! I think all my doggie pals here are soooooo pretty and handsome too! Daisy, wish I had a boyfriend!! A nice BIG yellow labbie boy named Croxley lives up the street, but I think he's spoken for! ;) But, I'm still young! :D Love, Star

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

BayleeBoo
07-31-2001, 06:20 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded! It is greatly appreciated from BayLee and I (his mommy)!
@---}]-----------------
:rolleyes: :eek: ;) :D :) :p