PDA

View Full Version : I want to see pictures of your flooring!

Tonya
11-02-2003, 09:59 PM
I know this is lame, but my carpet is so disgusting. I have to do something. I was considering pergo, but I love the feel of carpet. I need something that'll still look good after 3 muddy dogs, 2 cats, and a 6 year old boy run through. I want to see pictures of everyone's flooring! Who ever has the best lookin flooring, I am copying you!

Twisterdog
11-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Go with pergo. You will NEVER regret it. I have ten dogs, a doggie door and a twelve year old boy with 749 friends. My pergo is wonderful, a million times better than carpet. You can pick from dozens and dozens of colors, textures and styles - wood, stone, tile looks - you name it. I love the feel of carpet, too, but it is just not practical or sanitary, IMO.

Nomilynn
11-02-2003, 11:15 PM
I have ugly carpet in my house except in my bedroom, where I have berber (sp?), and I love it. If I had my choice, I would have berber in all my future bedrooms, and then some type of wood flooring everywhere else in the house. The berber is SUPER easy to clean (I've had cat pee, cat puke, pepsi and I think juice on it); it really doesn't give me any trouble.

Here is an attachment.. you can also see the ugly *poo* coloured carpet I have in the hall. I bought the berber at home depot and just covered up the ugly stuff.

Nomilynn
11-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Here is another pic of the really ugly pooey carpet. It's held up well (it was put here when the house was built in the early 70's) but it really looks like someone threw up all over my hallway and stairs :p

Nomilynn
11-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Here is what my carpet looks like downstairs. It's a nice carpet, but it's a REAL pain to clean, because it's like a shag carpet.

Corinna
11-02-2003, 11:24 PM
My hubby does hard wood flors please do not get pergo or any of those types. You will be replacing it too soon. it's only 1/8 inch hard wood and the rest a soft laminate. Go the expense and get real flooring .It may seem more to begin with but you will be glad over the years. I have oak for the living room, bedrooms, and halls. Maple in the kitchen and walnut in the bathroom. Merlin and Lady haven't scrathed it yet and it's 2 years old.
Tim has had to go replace more pergo than he wants to count. The socall warrenty if you read it is void as you open the box. Call your local contractors regerty and find a good installer, one with no complants regestered and has been in business at least 5 years. Pm me and I can try to help you find one if you want.
My hubby has been at it for 20 years.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Here are some pictures of my flooring.

The living room, where we have hardwood floors. Not the best choice with 2 dogs, eh? ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pd7654a81f8a7acc4f3898dbca19b9dac/faa95131.jpg

This is the computer area, which has hardwood flooring as well.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p9f9a556fad9b8768afc31afbbb535336/faa94f0b.jpg

and this is the den carpeting, it's a brownish color. We got it for the reason of "hiding" the dirt from the dogs. :o
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p1123f9c90e1ddc7bc40e5823fb0159a4/faa94c9a.jpg

Twisterdog
11-02-2003, 11:31 PM
My hubby does hard wood flors please do not get pergo or any of those types. You will be replacing it too soon. it's only 1/8 inch hard wood and the rest a soft laminate. ... Merlin and Lady haven't scrathed it yet and it's 2 years old. The socall warrenty if you read it is void as you open the box.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have had my flooring for four years, I have ten dogs, and I don't have a single scratch, nick, etc. I also have a sixteen year written warranty. I have the Wilsonart brand.

Shelteez2
11-03-2003, 12:08 AM
We have hardwood throughout most of the house and berber in the living room, the upstairs hallways, and the bedrooms. I don't have that many pics of it, but here are some.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031123923953963204822.jpg

You can kinda see the carpet in these ones.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031121485342903397108.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031125234183342014092.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031122003098099308178.jpg

I'm all in favor for easy to clean floors. So I would go with hardwood or the pergo type floors. I don't notice scratches on our hardwood, but I keep my dogs nails really short and they don't race around on it much anyways.
The berber carpet is a really tight weave (I'm not sure that's a technical term LOL), and it super easy to clean. And the tight weave means the animals nails don't get stuck in the loops.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glacier
11-03-2003, 12:15 AM
We currently have bare plywood! yup, it's lovely! We ripped all the carpets about a month ago when my senior dog was very sick! There was no way to clean that mess up. Course, we can't afford to replace it with hardwood or Pergo right now, so plywood it is.

boscibo
11-03-2003, 12:28 AM
This is a good subject. We have berber (and I'm not taking a picture of it, it's full of dog hair and I don't feel like vacuuming right now) . I hate it. I really want to replace it with something hard - Pergo, wood, whatever, but the big thing I worry about is all our dogs are so old I think they would have a really hard time getting up off of it - and slipping on it and falling down. Especially Bandit, the oldest dog. He has problems getting up because of his age, and he has problems getting up on the carpet now. I'd hate to have him try and get up on something slippery. He has a back leg that is weak, and he has to get his good leg under him to get up. Sometimes he has problems and ends up under my computer desk, or under a dining chair and then we have to help him up. So I will probably have to stick with this yucky carpet (at least in the main room) for now.

Having an older dog does mean occasional accidents, and some of it is rough because the dogs try and make nests. So in a few spots you can tell that it has been plucked up, so we stick dog beds over those spots. ;)

I am surprised how well overall the berber has stood up to three dogs, (even though I have made it sound really bad), after we shampoo it most of it looks good as new.

Nomilynn
11-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by boscibo
I really want to replace it with something hard - Pergo, wood, whatever, but the big thing I worry about is all our dogs are so old I think they would have a really hard time getting up off of it - and slipping on it and falling down.

This is a very good point, and very true. Our RB sheltie, Cody, couldn't get up from any slippery floor. If he fell over on the tile in the kitchen, he would have to drag himself to the carpet to get up :(

One thing though, is you could have lots of area rugs. Likely the dogs would sleep on those anyway, so they would lay on them??

And as for the berber.. as far as carpet goes, I think it's the best option for people with pets. I will always have carpet in my bedroom - I like the way it feels. But if I had a choice I would have something else all through the rest of my house.

tomkatzid
11-03-2003, 02:16 AM
It is very true about older dogs having trouble with slippery floors. Our RB Shep-ee had alot of problems with it, we put throw rugs all over the tile in the kitchen for her but it was a hassle. I like carpet(not in the kitchen of course). I deal with alot of carpet at work and have installed, repaired, and cleaned carpet for too many years, my recommendations are, don't get anything light blue, even an off white has a little brown in it and actually will stay better looking than the medium to light shades of blue. I agree on a good grade of berber holding up well, I will further say get Dupont Stainmaster, it cleans amazingly well no matter what color you get.........tom

Tonya
11-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'll let my husband read all of this! (He's gonna laugh when he sees how many posts I have on PT!) :D

RICHARD
11-03-2003, 12:57 PM
In typical Pet Talk fashion.....

A posting appears on a certain topic and everyone just so happens to sneak their pets into the pictures....

lol..........;)

KYS
11-03-2003, 01:37 PM
posted by boscibo: but the big thing I worry about is all our dogs are so old I think they would have a really hard time getting up off of it - and slipping on it and falling down. >>>>>>>>

Poor senior, Sheba has a hard time walking on our tile.
(if she slips she can NOT get up)
For that reason I have kept berber carpet in the bedrooms and family room.

As with tile, I LOVE the look of wood floors,
but again, for me, I would keep some carpet
in the house because of the dogs.

Richard, I didn't post a pic. hehehe

Chinadoll
11-03-2003, 01:57 PM
When I was looking for another place to rent I swore I wouldn't get a place with carpet. Well...found a place that I love, but it's all carpet. Carpet is EVIL!! I hate vacuuming(especially the stairs!), and I hate not being able to properly disinfect the carpet. When Joey and I buy a house, it's not having any carpet even if we have to pull out carpet and install new floors. I don't care what kind of flooring we get as long as it's not carpet.

Tonya
11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
I hate not being able to properly disinfect the carpet.

I hear you! I bet my carpet has so many accidents that I didn't catch. It gets shampooed at least once a month, but that just isn't enough.

Moose
11-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I want to see pictures of everyone's flooring!

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of my own flooring [probably a good thing, I live in an old, typical college house, lol]....but my parents just got a digital camera and want to test it out. My mom needed some ideas of what to take pictures of....lucky for you! ;) Anyway, she is going to take some pictures and e-mail them to me, so I'll get them up for you ASAP. :)

Tonya
11-12-2003, 10:54 PM
We currently have bare plywood! yup, it's lovely!

Jeepers, that's what we have now too! :rolleyes: My husband tore all of the flooring out only to discover horribly uneven and damaged wood. His dad (retired contractor) came out today and said that it's way to much hassle and $$ to do Pergo. I guess we'd have to totally rip everything out and start from scratch since the floor was built uneven. So, we're living on plywood until we decide rather or not we want to spend the time and money to have Pergo. Otherwise, we'll be throwing carpet back in.

micki76
11-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
So, we're living on plywood until we decide rather or not we want to spend the time and money to have Pergo. Otherwise, we'll be throwing carpet back in.

If you have to do carpet, consider indoor/outdoor type carpeting that doesn’t require a pad underneath. It’s actually the pad that’s so dirty. It absorbs all the accidents and dirt. (sort of like a big ole sponge) We have indoor/outdoor carpeting here in the office and if something spills, its much easier to blot up and cleaning and disinfecting it’s a breeze. It also comes in some much better colors than it used to. :)

Fox-Gal
11-13-2003, 08:40 PM
We riped our carpet out not to long ago, the pets had taken all the life out of it. So we went with tile and area rugs. I'm happy we did, I still get the feel of carpet that I like but the easy clean up after the zoo crew comes in and out. Plus the area rugs are easy to clean when there's been a accident. Just today I took one out side, hung it over the railing, put carpet cleaned on it and washed it off with the pressure hose. Tomorrow it will be dry and back in, clean. No more worry about that deep in dirt that you get with wall to wall.

I did have the problem, once with one of the dogs slipping on the tile so now the area rugs are set up so she can step from rug to rug. The parts with out rugs she stays away from.

Now the house in N.C. has hard wood floors and the cats hate it, even though I love the look of wood. They will come running across the room and try to come to a stop but instead they slid into a stop. Ever few years we have to get them waxed and then the only stoping of running cats is the wall. So again area rugs come into play.

JALB
12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Here are some pics of the different floors in our house. The first three are the floor in my room and the next three are the floor in the kitchen. One more...

JALB
12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Princess in the kitchen

borzoimom
12-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I have ugly carpet in my house except in my bedroom, where I have berber (sp?), and I love it. If I had my choice, I would have berber in all my future bedrooms, and then some type of wood flooring everywhere else in the house. The berber is SUPER easy to clean (I've had cat pee, cat puke, pepsi and I think juice on it); it really doesn't give me any trouble.

Here is an attachment.. you can also see the ugly *poo* coloured carpet I have in the hall. I bought the berber at home depot and just covered up the ugly stuff.
Hmm- how sturdy is that? We ripped out the basement carpet that was like 20 years old and its the last carpet to go. We are debatting between tile or indoor out door- but I forgot about Berber.. Does it snag easily?

borzoimom
12-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Here are some pics of the different floors in our house. The first three are the floor in my room and the next three are the floor in the kitchen. One more...
I like the one in the kitchen too! Nice neutral color, but stylish.. Hmm- berber or tile.. hmm..

kimlovescats
12-22-2006, 11:05 AM
My husband has FINALLY agreed to pull up our NASTY carpeting in the upstairs "kitty room" and downstairs living room and hallway. We plan to put linoleum tiles upstairs and Pergo laminate floors downstairs. This is all "supposed" to take place after the holidays AND when we have the money to do it. With all that is going on with my daughter right now, it might have to wait. *sigh*

I will post pictures as soon as I get them, because I have waited for this for five years! ;)

mruffruff
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
This summer I laid Pergo in most of my house over bad hardwood floors. I'm supposed to have a 30 year warranty.

It looks great. But I'm not sure I did good.

The dogs can't get on the bed because it's slippery (Maybe that's good ;)

I had to put rubber pads under all the furniture so the floor wouldn't get scratched.

Chairs slide into the wall when you sit down--or get up.

Any wet spot has to be mopped up right away or the edge might lift. I have a spot under a chair that did that overnight.

Pergo has to be cleaned carefully; use a Swiffer or Clorox mop or be ready to dry it as you go.

I did put down an area rug in the living room and a couple of smaller rugs in the den, but now I have rugs to clean, too.

I wisely put sheet vinyl in my kitchen. I chose a dark brown stone-like pattern. I have been supremely happy with it. It doesn't have a bright shine to it so it doesn't show the dirt or need to be cleaned often and it isn't slippery. I eliminated all small rugs, too. Floor clean up takes 10 minutes.

When I do my daughter's house, I'm going to use sheet vinyl with a wood pattern so I can have the look of hardwood with the care of vinyl.

Live and learn.

Lobodeb
01-01-2007, 11:35 PM
In typical Pet Talk fashion.....

A posting appears on a certain topic and everyone just so happens to sneak their pets into the pictures....

lol..........;)

LOL!! I noticed that too. But, I have to jump on the band wagon as I'm not going to take a picture of the bare floor when I can take one with a cute fuzzy butt on it! :o

Here's mine. I had linolium (SP?) before and hate it. The people who put it in before did a piss poor lazy job and probably bought the cheapest stuff they could find. They didn't put a subflor down, instead, put it on the existing hardwood.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/100_0686.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/100_0294.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/100_0739.jpg

And now, we put ceramic tile...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/100_1198.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/100_0997.jpg

So far, it's been great. Very durable and easy to clean. I only wish I could go back and seal the grout because it tends to stain from the moisture of doggy accidents. Other than that, I love it.

Freckles
01-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey, Tonya!
What did you finally choose? :)

KitCat
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't have a pic but after the hurricane damage we got rid of the carpet and have tile. Easy to clean! We had nice Berber carpet and i was worried i would miss it but I love the tile.

mruffruff
01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
My kitchen tile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/mruffruff/TILE.jpg?t=1167858827

ashleycat
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I want this

http://www.florcatalog.com/service/flor/installation.html