PDA

View Full Version : *Scary moment*

rg_girlca
11-02-2003, 05:20 PM
My youngest son moved back home yesterday with his male cat Sades who is all gray with yellow eyes and is 1 1/2 years old.
We have him locked in the room as we are doing a slow intro with my furbabies.
Apparently he tried to get to the top part of a section of the wall unit and pulled it down on him. My son yelled to me that Sades was hurt. As I ran to the room, my son was getting Sades out from under a desk and I told him to put him down on the floor. While checking him, I noticed his breathing was laboured and he was making like a gurgling sound and he was very limp. Called the vet, who is about three blocks from us, thank goodness they were still open, and we rushed him in. Upon the vet examining him he said he would have to do x-rays cause he suspected that one of his lungs was deflated. He landed up taking 2 x-rays.
To make a long story short, he said there was nothing broken, his lungs looked good and there was just some contusions on his lungs and that he will be fine, but we have to keep him quiet and keep an eye on him in the next 24 hours.
By the time we got home, Sades was breathing much better. Phew.
Oh yeah, the section of the wall unit is lying flat on the ground for now, until we can support it to the wall.
Not a very nice welcome to Grandma's house was it sweetie.
I'll let you know how he is doing tomorrow.
Sorry this is long guys, but first time grandma here.
:)

AmberLee
11-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Whew. It sounds like Sades had a rough introduction to his new home. So glad nothing (on Sades, at least) was broken.

krazyaboutkatz
11-02-2003, 06:03 PM
How scary! I'm so glad that Sades is going to be okay. Hopefully you'll be able to keep him quiet so he can heal. Please keep us updated.

Cataholic
11-02-2003, 06:05 PM
WOW. That IS scary! Sades, BE HAVE!!! I am so glad things seemed worse then they were. Happy mending, and intros to the cats.

Steffi N
11-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm glad that Sades is going to be all right. Please keep us updated and I hope the rest of his introduction to his new home and family goes well.

rg_girlca
11-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Thank you all for your concerns.
Yes Kak, we will hold off on the intros for a few days and keep Sades quiet in my sons room. Right now he is resting comfortably.

catcrazylady
11-02-2003, 07:53 PM
That is so scary!! Poor baby! He is still young and active. Gets them in trouble everytime! I'm glad the poor little guy is ok. It's hard enough to adjust to a move but then get hurt on top of it!!!
Prayers and postive thoughts to your grandkitty!

rg_girlca
11-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Thank you for the prayers CCL:)

Tonya
11-02-2003, 09:53 PM
That must have been scary! I'm glad your grandbaby is ok.

rg_girlca
11-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, Sades seems to be the same as yesterday. Very quiet, which is good, to give him time to heal. Like the vet said though, it will take 3-4 days for the healing. Just like us, I guess, when we have a bruise.
We shall see what tomorrow brings.
I noticed though that he hasn't eaten his food since this happened. I guess this is normal, since he still isn't feeling up to par.

Is it.????

I have never had anything like this happen to any of my kitties.

Have any of you had a kitty with a similar injury?

stacwase
11-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Oh, goodness! I'm so glad your grandcat is OK!

I am surprised the vet didn't keep Sades for observation. If he was a person he would have been kept in the hospital for at least 24 hours.

I'm an ICU nurse so I have to deal with people with airway problems all the time. I think Sades is probably OK now, since it's been a while - but sometimes things don't get better for 3 or 4 days.

Signs of low oxygen in people include being very tired, getting confused or agitated, and not eating. A very serious, emergency sign of low oxygen is cyanosis - or blue color. Of course a lot of things could be causing the loss of appetite, but keep a close eye on Sades. If he starts to act confused or different, or if his gums look slightly blue-tinged, bring him back to your vet.

Kirsten
11-03-2003, 11:36 AM
This is scary indeed!!! :( I'm glad to hear he's alright, and he has hopefully learned now not to jump into any wall units!

Kirsten

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Gosh, that must have been scary for everyone! Glad to hear Sades is OK. Hope the intro's go well!

Barbara
11-04-2003, 02:46 AM
That's really scary. I am glad to hear nothing serious happend and I hope he will start to eat today. I am sure he was in some kind of shock. All the best for little spunky Sades:)

Randi
11-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Poor little Sades - what a frightful introdution to his new place. I hope he's only sore from the bruises and nothing more serious. Keep an eye on him! :)

Get better soon Sades! :)

kimlovescats
11-04-2003, 07:14 AM
OH my Gosh, Lorraine! I just now read this! So terribly sorry about poor Sadie! I'm relieved to read that he is going to be ok though! Please keep us informed!!!!

Killearn Kitties
11-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Aww, that must have been frightening for all concerned! I hope the poor baby starts to eat soon.

ramanth
11-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Very scary!! :eek: Poor Sades. :(

I hope he learned his lesson and that he gets better real soon. :)

Uabassoon
11-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Poor Sades, I can only imagine how scary that must have been for everyone. I'm glad to hear that he is doing fine now.

rg_girlca
11-04-2003, 02:13 PM
I want to thank you all for you concerns on Sades.

I am happy to report that today he is doing very well. His breathing is back to normal and he is able to jump up on the little table we have for him that is in front of the window.
I noticed though that he still wasn't eating his dry food, so I boiled up some chicken for him and he just about gobbled it down. I'll give him a little bit more later tonight.
Last night we had him in the cat carrier to meet my crew and I am very surprised, that it went a lot better than I expected. There was no hissing or growling on anyone's part. When my son gets home from work, we will do the same thing. Maybe by the end of the week we will let them meet face to face. I just want to make sure my grandkitty is 100% before we do that.

Thanks again and Sades says meow thanks to you also.

Killearn Kitties
11-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Hope the introductions go well! Please keep us posted.