PDA

View Full Version : Overweight?!

wolfsoul
11-02-2003, 05:07 PM
I was talking to (a-not-so-nice :( ) friend. He told me that all pet people are overweight! :mad: Grrr that got me mad. That's like telling me I'm fat. Even though I'm unhealthy and not very fit (sorry PT diet buddies! I'm trying!), I don't think I'm fat, and I don't think that all pet people are either. That just got on my nerves. :o :( It's a terrible generalization and it has to be wrong.

Sorry for the vent.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-02-2003, 05:22 PM
How rude! :mad:
Was this person by chance, an animal hater?
I don't think I'm overweight...my mom thinks I'm to skinny. :o

ChrisH
11-02-2003, 05:29 PM
That is such a silly generalisation. In the many years I have been a pet owner I have been badly underweight, overweight, and every weight in between!:D Owning a pet has nothing to do with it!

cali
11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
average, not long ago I was at the docter and he was going on and on about how lots of peope are over weight and dont worry about being fat etc.. he then weighed me and I was just perfect! that'll show him a thing or two about not judging people on apparence! :rolleyes:

binka_nugget
11-02-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm overweight lol. BUT, I was long before we got Kai. If anything, I lost some weight because I have to keep him healthy.

mugsy
11-02-2003, 05:57 PM
I've been heavy all my life, so, when I didn't own pets, I was fat too! lol I just joined Weight Watchers yesterday and plan on losing between 100-110 pounds. Wish me luck! When I reach goal I'll send a picture to your "friend" lol

Foam
11-02-2003, 06:21 PM
I'm not really sure.
I guess I'm heavy when I weigh myself, but then in appearance I'm just a bit chubby.

sammi
11-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I have fought most of my adult life trying to gain weight. At the moment I have put on 29 pounds - thanks to my predisone medication:( People can be very insulting when you are thin like "ckicken legs, don't let the wind blow you over etc." They don't say it to be meam I don't think.

aly
11-02-2003, 06:32 PM
This generalization is ridiculous. I don't even see how your friend could have come up with that. Maybe he was just trying to annoy you. Anyone can be a pet person - old, young, underweight, overweight, you name it.

Originally posted by Foam
I'm not really sure.
I guess I'm heavy when I weigh myself, but then in appearance I'm just a bit chubby.

YOU ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen your pictures!

G.P.girl
11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
if you think about it in theory pet people should be healthier, because they walk their dogs or ride thier horses or whatever. i'm just normal but i'm really in to sports too so i don't know.
but you're right that was really rude to say that to you

wolfsoul
11-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by aly
This generalization is ridiculous. I don't even see how your friend could have come up with that. Maybe he was just trying to annoy you.

You're probably right...he's always trying to get on my nerves. :( He hates my rats and tells me they're discusting. :( I don't care if he thinks they are discusting but he doesn't need to speak his mind constantly; he should have a little tact and consideration for other people's feelings. :(

Tonya
11-02-2003, 08:00 PM
if you think about it in theory pet people should be healthier, because they walk their dogs or ride thier horses or whatever.

I agree. I always see people jogging with dogs and whatnot. Right now, thanks to the Atkins diet I'm just about right. I'd been 30-40 lbs heavier most of the time.

primabella
11-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Good luck Musgy. :)

What a stupid comment. lol it doesn't even make sense! If anything Mickey is helping me get skinnier. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't for for so many walks or play out back with him. We play soccer, frsibee and all sorts of running games. I honestly think Mickey is helping my weight.

I think I am overweight but not *terribly*. I gotta lose weight for prom though! :o

And Foam - don't make me laugh! :p

Sevens
11-02-2003, 09:54 PM
That's a stupid generalization! Heck yeah, I'm fat...I'd be the first to admit that. But it has nothing to do with my pets....Jeez, everybody in my family is like that, big, even the ones that don't have pets.

I would definitely say I have gotten healthier since I have gotten my dogs. I have to walk them between 4 and 6 times a day. And it's not just out in the backyard, cause we live in the city, in an apartment. Also, since they are both pullers:rolleyes: , my upper arm muscles get a really good workout. Especially when they are going for something someone dropped on the sidewalk. And then there are those times when Bailey doesn't want to get off the couch to go to bed in her crate, so I pick her up and carry her...and she's 51 pounds of solid muscle.

Actually, I've probably lost about 20 pounds since I've gotten the dogs, my diabetes is great (cause of the exercise, makes my blood sugar go down), and my blood pressure is fine cause as we all know, petting a pet makes you stress less.

So, therefore, your friend doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. He's just trying to irritate you, in my opinion. **HUG** Don't let him get to you.:)

CatDad
11-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Tell your 'friend' that he really should be making generalization like that.

That is just rude, and there is really no excuse for saying something like that.

shais_mom
11-02-2003, 10:58 PM
I have to agree that this person is just an idiot trying to get you riled up.
I have fought with obesity all my life, and am now unhappily at the heaviest I have ever been. I have tried weight watchers it is a great program!! Good Luck Molly!!!
I know if and when I lose weight it will make me feel better and I won't hurt as much or be as tired anymore, but taking that step is the hardest one. I also know that the older I get the harder it will be!!!

And Foam!! You do NOT need to lose any weight either!!! You are NOT chubby!

wolf_Q
11-02-2003, 11:06 PM
If Foam is chubby then I'm a blimp. :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
11-03-2003, 07:14 AM
I think I am "normal" (weight wise at least;) )
What a dumb thing for your friend to say.

I walk the dogs, play in the yard with them, and play inside with them. Before I had them, I would lay around all day and use the computer or watch tv--if anything, they make me healthier and motivated. And, as someone else mentioned, my arms are strong from my pullers:)

Molly,
good luck with Weight Watchers. 3 members of my family have been doing it for about a year or so now, and they all look fantastic!!!!!!

mugsy
11-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys!!

Staci, if you want to join we can have our own little rah rah club! You don't have to do it alone...just long distance! lol I, too, am at the heaviest I've ever been and am pretty miserable, which is why we joined. I have a friend who had the bariatric surgery done and has lost over 120 pounds since April 15. She hopes to lose a total of 250 pounds. She looks absolutely amazing. I have another friend who has lost 100 pounds in a year and is still losing. Another friend has gone from a size 50 waist pant to a 40 waist pant. Mike has lost 45 pounds (which I gained! lol). So, everyone around me is losing weight and I was getting depressed being the only one gaining rather than losing so, I took the step. I have yet another friend who lost 50 pounds on WW and has kept it off for 2 years now.

Ok, I'm done obsessing now! lol Thanks for the support...I'll probably whine a lot so tell me to shut up when you're tired of it.

Edwina's Secretary
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Mugsy,

Last week I taught with a woman I had not seen in five years. I almost did not recognize her (and probably would not have if she wasn't standing at the front of the room ;) ) Anyway....she lost 100 lbs. -- Weight Watchers and exercise. She has keep it off for three years now.

I just cannot get over how beautiful she is. And something interesting...I almost did not accept the assignment because I had found her difficult to teach with in the past. Not only did I enjoy the experience this time....she and I went out to dinner together! (Fish and veggies!)

2kitties
11-03-2003, 11:00 AM
That's a really silly stereotype. Oh well, some people will always be ignorant. One afternoon at your local park will find dozens of people jogging with their dogs.

I'm a huge cat lover. And, I'm not the "little old lady with cats" nor am I overweight. In fact, fitness is my favorite pastime. This cat lover could run circles around your friend and I'll bet $50 my BMI is much lower- unless he or she is prepubescent. ;)

bluekat
11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
What an idiot! How does owning a pet make you fat?:mad::rolleyes:
I'm skinny I know, I don't even weigh 100 pounds:p Ok, I'm not that under, I'm probably about 95 or something. But I like being skinny;)
Besides, it doesn't even matter anyways, whether you're overweight or not:)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I admit it, I'm overweight. I care, it's just I don't want to ruin my life trying to be 95 pounds. I'm happy as I am, I am not TRAGICALLY overweight, but I'm fine.

slick
11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
OK, I admit it too. I'm overweight. My cat Speckles is overweight. Max is normal weight. So what does that prove?? Absolutely nothing except that I love animals and I need to lose weight.

Mugsy: I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but I really need a good kick in the rear to get off my butt and exercise. I know my motive should be "I want to be healthier" but I have some left-over "issues". Any suggestions?? I really don't have much local support.

CamCamPup33
11-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Im too skinny.. I hate it.. Im like a stick.. I *HATE* it.. i dont know why.. i would rather have some meat on my bones.. So i guess im underweight.. and hating it!

carole
11-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Although I tend to agree this generalistion is stupid, I saw just the other day on the TV, that they had done a study which showed more pet owners were overweight, and smoked more than those who did not own pets.

Sounds bizarre to me, I wonder just how they go about doing these studies.

I strongly disagree with the statement anyhow, I would think that pet owners would have less tendancy to be overweight, for one if they have dogs, they probably take them for walks, and I am always running around after my kitties, and also if you were feeling lonely or bored rather than reaching for a fatty snack, you might reach for a cute cuddly kittie to snuggle instead, just MHO.
:)

Kater
11-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Im too skinny.. I hate it.. Im like a stick.. I *HATE* it.. i dont know why.. i would rather have some meat on my bones.. So i guess im underweight.. and hating it!
It can be just as hard to be teased for being underweight as for being overweight. I understand. I was a *very* skinny child but now I've filled out and have more normal proportions. I would expect the same will happen for you. Don't worry, it's truly a blessing in disguise! :)

As for pet owners being more likely to be overweight --- I'd like to see the evidence for that! I think this guy is just trying to get to you, Jynelle. He must be pretty unhappy on the inside. :( Ignore him as best you can.

magcpen
11-04-2003, 09:02 PM
I think I'm about normal, baby a teense over.

Vio&Juni
11-07-2003, 02:33 AM
Well, I've been a cat lover for all my life. I was underweight untill 23, then normal, then a little overweight and now normal again, I think. You can see it on the picture.
Obesity is a big problem, as it is the underweight. And it's not related anyhow to pets, it's genetics, it's life style, it's unhealthy food and unhealthy snacks, but NOT pets.
And, I can say, being underweight affected me much harder than being a little overweight.

Edwina's Secretary, note my cap :)

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Go Cubbies....;) :D ;)

2kitties
11-07-2003, 08:38 AM
V&J, you have a lovely figure!
And ES, Go Cubbies!

Vio&Juni
11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
V&J, you have a lovely figure!
And ES, Go Cubbies!

Relentless
11-07-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm underweight, 5'10, 139 pounds. :(

catland
11-07-2003, 04:58 PM
welcome to pettalk Relentless.:D

Soledad
11-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Tell your friend that fat is pretty easily lost, but stupid takes a bit more effort. :p

andrea_NMAggie
11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
i'm 'officially' overweight. not morbidly obese, mind you...just overweight. i have to say though, its not because i'm a pet owner...its because i've been a bad example when it comes to overeating, and under-exercising. obviously the person who made the comment about all pet owners being overweight is small-minded, and shouldn't be bothered with. ;)

petlover
11-08-2003, 11:36 PM
That is rather rude!:mad: Not very nice. I was thinking about this thread this evening when I was jumping on the trampoline. I was thinking that your friend must not know the work that it takes to be a pet owner. He must think that all that we do is lay around all of the time. AND EAT!!! That is not really what most pet owners do. I don't know one that does anyway. If we did that, that would cause our pets to get fat too. For no exersize and fun. Just laying around and eating. If I were him, I would re think what he said. You can't just blurt something like that out. It is very rude!

Corinna
11-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Good luck muggsy I fight weight constantly I have developed arthrits in my so I have to get it off for that and diabetes. Plus my daughters wedding in July.
People make all kinds of cracks cuz your not like them and they only feel good about themselves if they bring you down. I have a friend who fights underweight all the time We make quite the pair at lunch dates she orders 3or4 desserts plus eats most of mine . can't get the pounds to stay on if she gains 2 oz we have a ice cream celebration. I have sugar free and watch her devour a pint. We all have our little qurks thats what makes us different. It takes all kinds of spices to flavor the world.