PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold for a dog?

Network23
11-30-2001, 02:48 AM
It getting about 30-40 deg at night, and my dog loves it, she stays out for a couple of hours, she doesnt like the heat, shes yellow lab and chow. Is that too cold even if she loves it? Then she comes in and sleeps on the electric blanket, is that bad too?

http://network2393555.tripod.ca/misfitbanner.jpg

(think i finally found a host for the pic)

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Network23 ]

sammi
11-30-2001, 08:20 AM
Depends what weather temp. the dog is used to. With Ca. temp her coat would not get real- real thick I wouldn't think.
My dog is yellow-lab and ? husky ? shepherd. And he is in the house much of the time but he loved it out last evening and it was 17 above but with the wind was -5 below and loves to lay in the snow. His bed is on the floor and right by the heat vent! 40 degrees sounds pretty nice about now.
And welcome Network23!! This is a fun place for all animal lovers.

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: sammi ]

kobieeli
11-30-2001, 11:11 AM
Welcome to PetTalk--I'm just over the mountains from you, in the Central Valley, and we drive by Ridgecrest all the time!

Our dogs love the cooler weather in the winter after summer's brutal heat. I would bet your Chow/Lab mix is really baking during the summer and loves the temps we're having now. As long as the dog isn't locked outside at night with no warm protected place to go to, she'll probably be just fine! :)