PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on older cats

PayItForward
11-02-2003, 03:26 PM
I have been reading about a pair of 16 year old sisters, their owner has sadly had to go into a home.

The adult children can't /won't look after the cats and have given the local Cat Protection League five days to find them a home or the adult children will be putting them to sleep. :mad:

I was horrified, how can any vet put to sleep a healthy cat, regardless of age.

My sister said it would be easier for the cats, to be PTS then to cope with a new temporary home (i.e. An outside pen or spare room)

I was just interested in your opinions.

catlady1945
11-02-2003, 03:37 PM
A lot of vets will put healthy animals to sleep if the owner wants. I hope somebody hears this story and adopts them. They will adapt very nicely to a new owner.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 04:04 PM
I voted PTS, I hope no one hates me for it.

I don't know the cats personally, so I am just considering my own cats' personalities. My cats would be totally traumatized and confused if they were rehomed. Raven especially came from an abused past and it took years for her to trust us. She'd be better off PTS then living her last few years paranoid in a stranger's home.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 04:07 PM
p.s. I just saw something similar in our classifieds a few weeks ago. It read "My best friend passed away. She left behind 23 loved cats. Please help me to keep them from being euthanized. Free to loving home." It's so sad. We often write wills out and whatnot, but we don't think about what will happen to our animals after we pass. We need to think about that too.

PayItForward
11-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I voted PTS, I hope no one hates me for it.
Of course not.

I'm asking for honest opinions and that is what you gave.

slick
11-02-2003, 04:09 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: This makes me sooooooo upset!!!! Pets are not disposable because of age. Why don't the adult "kids" just give the kitties to a no-kill shelter. Granted, they probably are not adopable at their age because no one wants to adopt older animals, another thing that makes me mad. But at least the shelter can put them into a foster home to live out their lives, and they can be kept together. At least they should investigate the possibility instead of brushing them off. Or as Tonya mentioned, put an ad the paper.

I sure hope those "kids" don't have pets themselves.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 04:09 PM
By the way, if the cats were younger I'd say rehome them... They'd have enough time to recover and adapt. But at 16 years old, I'd rather see my cats die happy then stressed from the change.

PayItForward
11-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
By the way, if the cats were younger I'd say rehome them... They'd have enough time to recover and adapt. But at 16 years old, I'd rather see my cats die happy then stressed from the change.
This is what my siser said, let them be. But isn't life better than no life ? (Maybe not, I'm just asking ?)

Originally posted by slick
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: This makes me sooooooo upset!!!! Pets are not disposable because of age. Why don't the adult "kids" just give the kitties to a no-kill shelter.
Sadly our shelters are so full, that there are waiting lists for cats to go into the shelters.

In fact the plea for help was actually from a shelter, who doesn't have space to take them.

During summer the RSCPA stopped taking animals in even from their own wardens. :eek:

Mr Stray was on two waiting lists and only had a place after several weeks.

But the adult children won't/can't hold onto them even for a couple of weeks.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 04:20 PM
But isn't life better than no life ? (Maybe not, I'm just asking ?)

It really depends on the cat. Honestly, for Raven, no. She's so stressed out all the time as it is, I couldn't imagine if we passed away. Ron, on the other hand, I think as long as he got some good food, he'd be happy.

Randy_K
11-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Older cats can do fine in a new home and are a great choice for an older person who might fnd a kitten too much to handle. Since the cats have spent their life together they should stay together in a new home. You'd be suprised how well they will do. PTS should be the absolute LAST option not the first to be considered.

lizbud
11-02-2003, 06:02 PM
I voted to keep them together in a room pending adoption.

If these cats are in good health otherwise, They should live.
They probably would adapt in a quieter household, if they are
kept together. I don't like the idea of an outside pen, if they
where inside cats before.

aly
11-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I voted for Other Options just because I think it should be judged on an individual basis. There is NO reason to put down a healthy 16 year old cat! Sure the cat is older, but if healthy, let the thing adjust to new surroundings and live out his/her life! I think the two cats in this situation should be kept in a spare room and fostered until a home is found.

I want to have a rescue group someday that caters to geriatric animals. They make perfectly loving pets, and usually have lots of years left in them.

Randy_K
11-02-2003, 07:09 PM
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures".

The Dalai Lama

catcrazylady
11-02-2003, 07:42 PM
My Grandma is 95 years old, almost completely deaf, but a joy to love and hug. I have no intentions of putting her down and honestly I don't see the difference.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 08:06 PM
My Grandma is 95 years old, almost completely deaf, but a joy to love and hug. I have no intentions of putting her down and honestly I don't see the difference.

That's a pretty darn good point. I'm swayed.

moosmom
11-02-2003, 08:42 PM
I didn't vote. Why?? Because a couple of months ago, I wanted to adopt a 14 year old kitty named Carrie. She was dumped at the shelter by her owner because, and I quote, "She doesn't play with my children anymore" The whole time, her 9 year old son was clutching Carrie, sobbing his eyes out.

I was MORE than willing to offer her a home. I took her home for a couple of weeks, force feeding her and giving her meds to help her get over an upper respiratory infection. I finally had to take her back to the shelter for medical care.

What did they do??? They put her down because, and I quote again, "Nobody is going to adopt a 14 year old cat and we needed the cage space."

I feel very sorry for these poor sisters. And I am disgusted that the family of the cat's owner wouldn't do what SHOULD be done, take the cats in. When my Dad died, I took his cat in and Tigger lived a very happy existence for another 3 years. I never would've done it any other way.

Shame on them!!!

PayItForward
11-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I didn't vote. Why?? Because a couple of months ago, I wanted to adopt a 14 year old kitty named Carrie. She was dumped at the shelter by her owner because, and I quote, "She doesn't play with my children anymore" The whole time, her 9 year old son was clutching Carrie, sobbing his eyes out.

I was MORE than willing to offer her a home. I took her home for a couple of weeks, force feeding her and giving her meds to help her get over an upper respiratory infection. I finally had to take her back to the shelter for medical care.

What did they do??? They put her down because, and I quote again, "Nobody is going to adopt a 14 year old cat and we needed the cage space."

I remember Carrie, I am so sorry about the heartache you went though with her. What does your sig say about stupid people ?? :mad:

I feel very sorry for these poor sisters. And I am disgusted that the family of the cat's owner wouldn't do what SHOULD be done, take the cats in. ..........Shame on them!!!
That's how I feel, knowing how much the cats mean to Mum, you think they would look after them just for 4/5 years.

I wonder if they'll tell Mum about having her cats PTS or will they be too busy selling her house to care !!!

It is sad about people attitudes towards older cats and I'm shocked about my own sisters attitude, I really hope she NEVER owns a pet.

This has made me worry about my own cats too, esp knowing how my sister feels. If me & Steve died tomorrow, she wouldn't even try to rehome my Georgie boy :mad: :(

bisi.cat
11-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Randy_K
Older cats can do fine in a new home and are a great choice for an older person who might fnd a kitten too much to handle. Since the cats have spent their life together they should stay together in a new home. You'd be suprised how well they will do.

That's exactly what I think...my sister's older cat is sixteen, too...she might be less active and very calm and used to her daily routine, but she's a happy cat and I know she would prefer to be rehomed in a calm environment, rather than to be put to death...

It's so sad that children don't take responsibilty for their parent's beloved pets after they have died...:mad: :(

At least these two cats have each other and some cats really make it to a very ripe old age...I would love to see that they would find someone who appreciates their wise and experienced characters and love them for what they are: CATS...no matter what age...they've been young, too...and they've been loved, too...and they deserve to get a second chance, too!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-03-2003, 03:08 AM
What a sad situation.

Another thought on the subject.......just last night I was watching a program about "Therapy Dogs" - these great big slobbering bundles of doggy love are taken to visit the sick and elderly (typically people confined to nursing homes, with no pets of their own), and also to orphanages etc. (They interviewed doctors and care-givers and they allconfirmed that the old folks were more animated and excited whilst and after the dogs visited, and it was especailly beneficial to those who didn't have regular family visitors.

Wouldn't it be great if these two elderly cats could be placed at a nursing home or frail care center? Think of the positive benefits which the residents would get from daily contact with animals.
Just a thought - maybe someone could make a few calls?

Uabassoon
11-03-2003, 03:43 AM
I think a lot of people here are quick to judge the kids without knowing the full story. According to payitforward

In fact the plea for help was actually from a shelter, who doesn't have space to take them.

So to me it seems that the children have made an effort to rehome these two cats. Maybe they have their own reasons as to why they can't take them. I know that if something happened to my parents there is no possible way that I would be able to care for their pets. I know that sounds means, but it's the truth. I would try my best to find them a great home, but since this plea came from a shelter it seems like the kids are trying to do that.

jenluckenbach
11-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Of course I would prefer them to have the option of life. A shelter or foster home would be ideal. But it is true that there will be some cats that cannot adjust to a new home, especially with the age factor. I find it appauling that the family cannot take on the responsibility of 2 beloved family pets, especially considering their age. (I would understand this in MY case, 14 is a lot to ask of anyone, but 2 cats should not be a bother to anyone). I bet the family is fighting over the money, jewels and other treasures!!!!! :mad:

PayItForward
11-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I find it appauling that the family cannot take on the responsibility of 2 beloved family pets, especially considering their age. (I would understand this in MY case, 14 is a lot to ask of anyone, but 2 cats should not be a bother to anyone). I bet the family is fighting over the money, jewels and other treasures!!!!! :mad:
I think this is why there is such a rush to remove the cats, you can't sell a house with cats in it. :mad:

Anyway thanks for the opinions, I'll let you guys know what happens to them.

stacwase
11-03-2003, 12:23 PM
I think two 16-year-old cats would be wonderful to have! I'd take them if I wasn't already maxed out on animals and children.

I don't see why they couldn't adjust to a quiet home environment, with an elderly person who doesn't have the energy to deal with a new kitten. They'd have eachother for comfort. I think if their basic biological needs are met and they're in a safe environment, then their love for eachother should be enough to make a possible 15 more years of life worthwhile.

There are so many lonely elderly people out there. Unfortunately they don't have anybody to take them to an animal shelter. I think that if somebody contacted a "Meals on Wheels" program, then they might be able to find just the right person for those cats. Meals on Wheels is a volunteer program that delivers food to elderly people who are home-bound and unable to cook. These people usually have home health nurses and medicare-funded housekeepers who could at least empty the litterboxes and put out food for the cats.

It's worth a try.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
It's funny that this topic should be brought up, because I've been thinking lately....and for some reason I think like this...not often, but kind of on a regular basis, and I believe everyone should think like this so they make plans ahead of time.

Anyway, I've been thinking about T & P if something should happen to me. The logical solution would be for Terry to just continue to care for them. However, I don't know if that would work since he is out of town so much with work, and he is a big baby when it comes to the cats. He can't even watch me give them a pill because all he can think of is them gagging on my finger. So I don't know if he could ever give them their pills - and for some reason I really can't see him cleaning the litter or the puke spots either. And I don't believe he would pay someone to come in everyday to give T & P their pills and clean the litter, so they would have to be re-homed - and that brings up the question of where. Like most of you have said, who's going to take a 15 or 17 year old that needs to take pills everyday? It's hard enough finding a home for a healthy oldster much less one that is already starting to fail.

So, this brings me to what I've been thinking. I'm sure Tubby would do fine wherever he found a new home. I certainly wouldn't want to see him in a shelter, but I believe he could be happy there if it came to that. Peanut on the other hand, would be extremely traumitized being put in a shelter. She is afraid of loud sounds and people. When we have company, if everyone is relatively quiet, she will eventually come out, but kids and anything loud and she's in hiding for the duration. I don't think she would do well with other cats around either. She tolerates Tubby, but any new critter - dog or cat, and she would be upset - which is another one of the reasons I haven't pushed the new cat for me thing.

But I have honestly started thinking that if anything happened to me, the best thing for Peanut would be to have the vet come to the house and have her quietly put to sleep as she sat in Terry's lap. It would be very un-traumatic for her, and would spare her so much stress that I honestly think it would be worth it. The only problem with this is that Terry is such a baby, there is very little chance that this would happen. He's already told me that when it's time for either one of them, he's going to go out of town for a week so he won't know exactly when, where or how it all happens, so the chances of Peanut being in his lap, well....:rolleyes: But I honestly think if I talked to him about it, he could do it for her....

So anyway, I'm just not sure how to answer the poll. It would totally depend on the personality of the cats themselves. If they are easy going and could handle the change without too much stress, then there is no reason to be PTS. But if they are like Peanut, and would be more traumitized than helped, then I say putting them to sleep would be the most humane thing to do.

Oh, and since K & L is so in love with Peanut ;) I've even thought about sending Peanut to her if anything happened to me. But seeing as how she's in AZ and I'm in IL, the trip alone would be enough to send Peanut to the loony bin, so I sort of threw that option out. ;) :D

Sorry for being so long, but this is really a tough call when all you want to do is what's best for them, but you're not around to do it.

lv4dogs
11-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Thats a tough question.
Personally if I aquired the cats somehow I would keep them, especially if they were "in memory" of a loved one. But as far as other people I can not speak for them.

My answer would vary due the cats personalities. If I could not keep them forever I would at least try to house them temp. until I could find a home or shelter. Some shelters (especially this time of year) are overcowded with cats so they may not have any room for any more. Which is pretty much the same as a no-kill shelter (I call most no-kill shelters, limited room shelters) as once they reach their limit they do not accept any more pets.
Some cats can adjust to new surroundings easily, some take a little time & some just don't. If it did not work out keeping them at my home or confined & no shelters had any openings than yes euthinasia is better than fending for yourself on the streets.
But finding a vet to do that to a healthy animal MAY be difficult. I have worked at a couple vets office & have brought my pets to other vets offices from NY to Oregon & then in between & up & down & yes there are some that will euth. any pet but you would be surprised at how many do not (which is the way it should be). My current vet will only euth. animals that are patients, no one off the streets can just come in & have their animal put down. The animal must be very ill, injured or be dangerous to others to be put down. Even of your animal has a slight injury or illness our vet will consult w/ you about other possibilites (ex. foster care, money issues, training & behavioral issues, adoption etc...). It has to be the animals best interest to be euth. at my current vets office.

mruffruff
11-03-2003, 03:25 PM
I am presently babysitting with a 15 year old cat. Her owner was called into the service to go to Afghanistan. He was very concerned that she wouldn't do well if she was removed from the home she always knew. He wanted her to stay at home and for someone to come in to take care of her needs once a day.

I took her home with me and put her in the cat room with six others. She has her own den high up on a cage. In the six months she has been with me, she has stopped hissing at the other cats, uses the litter box ALL the time, eats better, and is doing extremely well. She likes to sit on me and groom my hair.

The other alternative was unthinkable. Older cats can and do adjust. It just takes time and patience.

Mary

catland
11-03-2003, 05:55 PM
So sad. But it is good to bring up this discussion so people can think about these things.

We've already promised my in-laws and my husband's aunt that we would take care of their cat if they no longer can. I realize it might mean rehoming them if they aren't a good fit in our house, but they will not end up in a shelter.

Unfortunately, we haven't really had the conversation about our three kitties and we need to.:eek: While I trust that they'd be taken care of, I really need to get it in writing.

PayItForward
11-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by catland
So sad. But it is good to bring up this discussion so people can think about these things.

While I trust that they'd be taken care of, I really need to get it in writing.

This has actually started to worry me, I know my cats are that, i.e. cats not people but I do love them and I have a minimum standard of essential care which others see as spoiling them.

I wouldn't leave them to my sister as she likes my pretty young cats (though I'm not sure what she means they are ALL beautiful) and would not even try to rehome Georgie. She thinks he is old (He is only middle aged somewhere between 11 and 15 years old.)

Although my mum would look after them all, she disagrees with providing good quality (expensive) food and would not keep up the pet insurance as she thinks it is a waste of money.

She thinks cats should stay downstairs and off furniture at all times (Life is too short, for these kind of rules)

I'm going to have to think about it.

Maybe I can request that they go to Thornberry with a list of instructions and a small donation to the shelter.

Thornberry is a No kill shelter set in farm land, keeps all cats for life if they can not rehome them.