PDA

View Full Version : Urinating on the carpet

HowieDawn
12-30-2000, 08:32 AM
we are having problems with Gizmo, our nine year old Shih Tzu. We can let her outside to "go potty," let her in and then ten minutes later she will pee on the carpet. I am getting worried because last night she did it three times in a 30 minute period. This has gone on for a while now. Maybe 6 months. I took her to the vet back in the summer, to see if she had a bladder infection, or something of that nature, and she didn't. He suggested that maybe since she is "getting up there in years" that she cannot hold it as long. It is worrying me. Please help.
Thank you http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

lhg0962
12-30-2000, 10:13 AM
Has she been neutered? We had the same problem with Scout, my parent's 10 year old Lab/Retriever mix. Their bladder apparently gets weak as they get older (just like us girls). She now takes hormones of some kind twice a week to control it. She would just be lying there and wet the floor. I had a similar problem with Honey and it turned out to be a bladder infection. She had been boarded for several days and doesn't like to go in the pen. She just held it to long and then she couldn't stop going. Both of these problems have been solved with medication. I sure hope you can get yours worked out. I sure would go back to the veterinarian and if you don't get satisfaction, find another one!

HowieDawn
12-30-2000, 10:59 AM
yes she has been fixed. I am going to take Gizmo back to the vet on Tuesday (hopefully) when they open again. She hates to take pills. Her favorite treat is cheese so we roll them up in cheese. She eats the cheese and spits out the medicine. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif But thanks for the advise. Hopefully it is just a minor problem

lhg0962
12-30-2000, 11:23 AM
I don't think dogs have the cholesterol problems we do so maybe you could try using a little pat of margarine to help that pill slide down! Also, my kennel introduced me to Bil-Jac, which is a semi-soft food. You can keep a bag in the freezer and just keep a small amount thawed in the refrigerator. Kaycee, my cocker who died over a year ago, was on a lot of medication. She was addicted to her Bil-Jac. I could never afford to have it as my regular dog food, but it is great for training and for taking medication. You just stick the pill inside and make a little ball with the food all around it.
You can probably buy it at a pet supply store.
Hope things go well at the vet on Tuesday. You need answers (and hopefully not new carpet).

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 30, 2000).]

RachelJ
12-30-2000, 03:17 PM
My aunt has an older dog who has diabetis. I don't know if going frequently is a symptom in dogs as it is in people, but if so, that might be something that should be checked out. Even though older dogs can't hold it as long, this sounds like something more than old age. I agree with Logan on dealing with the vet. Also that Bil-Jac sounds like a good method for the pills. I used Snausages with the same method. You can mold them around the pill.

HowieDawn, did you get the puppy for your Grandma?

HowieDawn
12-30-2000, 05:44 PM
The puppy will be ready on January 4th. Now we are trying to name him. As for the pills, we have tried everything. She somehow eats the stuff that's around the pill and spits it out. It has been years since she has been on medication. So hopefully this time it will be easier.
I have a picture of the puppy. How do I attatch it? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

lhg0962
12-30-2000, 07:38 PM
Do a search under Dog Breeds and use the word picture. I did it and Paul gave real good instructions there. I can't remember the name of the post, but the search will get you there. Can't wait to see him. Maybe we can help with the name.

RachelJ
12-30-2000, 08:57 PM
The post under Breeds was "How Do I"

HowieDawn
01-02-2001, 05:26 PM
I found the topic and the info on posting a picture. I will have to get the pic online.

As for Gizmo, I took her to the vet this morning and he put her on medication.

RachelJ
01-03-2001, 07:45 AM
What did he think the problem was?

HowieDawn
01-05-2001, 09:52 AM
he said that it is probably due to old age and maybe even the weather. He said that she looks like she has developed some sort of allergies. Her skin has be really oily lately. Anyway, We have been giving her medication since tuesday, and it will last for 10 days. Hopefully she will be better by then. If not, I am going to take her to another vet.

We went yesterday and picked up the puppy for Granny. He is so tiny and so sweet. He is already attatched to her. I couldn't believe how good he was in the car on the way home. He slept the whole way curled up in my lap. We made sure that we brought paper towels. I figured that he would have had an accident in the car or would have gotten car sick. He was very good and we didn't have any problems with him.