PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon's Eye is Swelling Again

pepper636
07-17-2001, 03:07 PM
Hi ~ I'm new to this board, found it through John and Cinder and Smokey. Bourbon has a problem and I'd love your insight.

I need your help. On May 4th, as I was going to pick up my kittens from being spayed, Bourbon came in from the dog run. I wiped away a tear from his left eye and he cried. I asked the vet about it and she said he probably bumped it and to keep an eye on it. It looked OK when I got home (around 6:15). Around 9:30 it was swelled up so much his eye was shut. I gave him Benedryl and got him to the vet on Saturday. Said it could be a tumor (in 3 hours?) or maybe a bee or spider bite. Went down right away. Well, on June 4th, same thing, except the swelling did not come up as quickly, probably 12 hours, so I got more medication, same results. Well, here we go again on Friday, June 22, went out about 6:15, got home at 9:30, eye is swelled up like a balloon. Went to the vet on Saturday, he was going to aspirate it but the swelling was everywhere, even on his snout, and he said he could not find anything to aspirate. I have Baytril now, twice a day, and Prednizone. He is going to keep him on the antibiotic for two weeks. I take him back to the vet on Wednesday, so he can look at him with the swelling down. He is stumped. The only swelling left is just about his eyebrow. I'm also putting warm washcloths on the swollen spot four times a day.

Next vet visit: He was pleased the swelling had gone down but felt around his eyebrow and felt holes in the bone. They took an x-ray and there are about 6 holes in the bone around his eye. They don't know what from. They aspirated above his eye and are sending samples off (Culture & Sensitivity and Cytology (Clinilab)). The vet said the samples looked very mucus (sp). They are doing a CBC to see if his white blood cells are elevated indicating he's fighting an infection. We're just on the baytril now. What could it be? He's acting just fine, like there's no problem.

The results came back; nothing really bad, but nothing good either. They don't know. CBC showed white blood cells in the high normal range. There was puss and blood along with white blood cells and other cells (medical name) which also eat away at infection. The next step is to go in and clean away the infection and see what else they find. He's been on antibiotics all this time and the swelling around his eyebrow has not gone down, but I don't think it's really swelling, more likely the puss and blood is just there. He has another appointment this Friday so I guess we'll make some decisions then. Maybe it would be best to go in and clean out everything there, but surgery scares me so.

Well, the swelling is actually kind of hard now, not mushy like before. The vet drained some of the fluid out, bloody and pussy, about half of a large syringe full. He still doesn't know what it is. The antibiotics have not taken the swelling down much. He's given prednizone again, two times a day for 10 days, then 1 a day for 10 days, etc. We have scheduled Bourbon for another checkup on August 1 and tentatively surgery. I think the vet wants to see what the pred does. Also, I told you there were holes in the bone by his eyebrow. Well, now that bone just seems to be there, not held on to anything. I really think the vet thinks it's a tumor, but I think it is a really, really nasty infection. I don't know if I want the pred to work or not. He said if it's a mast cell tumor, it will react very well to prednizone, initially. But if it doesn't react to pred, then I've kinda ruled that out, but then Bourbon has to have surgery, and that scares me to death. I did ask if the surgery was dangerous, and he said the procedure wasn't that bad, just what they might find inside and if they can do anything about it. He called it exploratory surgery.

Oh - when I asked the vet if it could be an abscess (sp), he said it could possibly be one.

HELP!

jackiesdaisy1935
07-17-2001, 03:41 PM
Hi Pepper, welcome to Pet Talk, I don't know what to tell you. I know how worried you must be. Have you had a lot of experience with this Vet? I know it is expensive, but what do you think about a second opinion?
The only eye problem I had was with Perry (Schnauzer) when my husband gave him a bath he got flea soap in his eye and it swelled and became red, and they gave us balm to put on it. Unless you have used this Vet for a long time, I think I would get a second opinion. Poor Bourbon, please let us know how this turns out, and of course we will be keeping our fingers and paws crossed that it is nothing serious.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

pepper636
07-17-2001, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I have been with this vet for many, many years. There are actually four vets in this office. Of them all, I trust two the most and I have one of the two. The people who ran the tests are stumped also; they suggested surgery. Posts I received at another board I am on really seemed to point to an abscess (sp).

tatsxxx11
07-17-2001, 05:10 PM
Hi Pepper. I'm so sorry to hear about Bourbon :( None of us here (that I know of!!) is a vet, and we would all most strongly advise you to follow your vet's advice. Like Jackie mentioned, second opinions are always an option, though you seem to feel quite comfortable with and confident of your vet. Just remember, ASK QUESTIONS!!! Before your visits, write down anything and everything that comes to your mind that you need answers to.

I am a surgical nurse and have to agree with your vet that after having exhausted most of the less invasive diagnostic tools, e.g. blood work, attempts at aspiration, x-rays, etc., that "exploratory" surgery is probably the best (I know, very scary) route to pursue in order to definitively diagnose the problem. I know how frightening the thought is for you. But if Bourbon is in otherwise good general health, he should be just fine as far as the "exploratory" part, anesthesia goes. I would however, ask your vet what/how much experience she or he has had doing this type of surgery. And do discuss with your vet just what she or he intends to do DURING the surgery, i.e. if he/she does find a tumor, does he or she intend to excise the growth at that time??? Will a biopsy be performed first, and further surgery scheduled pending biopsy results? etc.

The worst thing for you, and for Bourbon, is NOT KNOWING what is wrong. I would advise you to do whatever is necessary to get a diagnosis. Then at least you will know what you are dealing with and can immediately start Bourbon on the road to recovery. I know, I know, I know how scary the surgery part is for you to handle. I have spent years in OR's and recovery rooms, dealing with hundreds of cases, patients and their families, comforting and reassuring them. But when it comes to my own family, human or furry, Ahhhhhhhhhh! I'm a wreck! You just have to believe in and have confidence in your Dr.!!! But again, if you have any hesitations at all, do get a second opinion, and don't be concerned about offending anyone. Sometimes two heads are better than one! And about the date for the tentative surgery...And chance of doing it earlier??

Bourbon is obvioiusly having an infectious/inflammatory response to something!! It is perplexing, however, that the intensive course of antibiotics and Pred. have not yet significantly affected the now hard swelling. And your mention of "holes in bone???" Did he ever mention anything about his sinuses? Is he having any drainage from his nose? Was a second testing for CBC/Cytology/C&S done after the first?

I am including an excerpt from a Vet. Info. site regarding a response posted by a Vet. regarding treatment of mast cell tumors. I most certainly am NOT saying that is the cause of Bourbon's problems. But, in the event that it might be a growth, I thought it might help allay some of your fears as surgical treatment along with a course of Pred. and or radiation is often a very successful course of treatment.

Bourbon sounds so special. And, being a friend of our wonderful friends "Phred," Cinder and Smokey, I know you too are very special as well. It's so scary when are furkids are not feeling well! And worst of all, they can't "tell us" "what's wrong or how they feel!" They rely on us to make those decisions, and do our best for them. You certainly are doing that, and more.

I know everyone here will be keeping you and Bourbon in our hearts, our thoughts and our prayers. Please keep us informed as to his progress, OK? And give him the biggest hug you can manage!! I hope you "stay with" us and let us help you deal with this; the people here are so special, and understand everything you are going through!

Love to you and your precious Bourbon. Sandra

Here's an excerpt from the Vet. Info. Board:

A: I found the information on mast cell tumors from the seminar I attended recently. The speaker was Dr. Rodney Page from the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

According to the statistics provided by Dr. Page, approximately 50% of mast cell tumors are curable with aggressive surgical removal. Mast cell tumors spread easier in the superficial skin so it is most important to get a wide surgical margin around the edges of the tumor but it is still important to get as deep as possible, as well. It is probably a good idea in any dog affected by mast cell tumors to use prednisone at chemotherapeutic doses for about 6 months post surgery. If there is no evidence of further tumor growth at that time, gradual discontinuation of prednisone is OK. If the tumor appears to be very aggressive based on the pathologist's evaluation (moderately to poorly differentiated), then it may be a good idea to consider radiation therapy, too, if that is an option in your area. The combination of surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy seems to give the best chance of long term control according to Dr. Page

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Cinder & Smoke
07-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Pepper! :D

All the fingers, paws and klaws at Phred's Ranch will be crossed for Bourbon. Keep us posted on his progress. /s/ Phred ;)

Karen
07-17-2001, 09:22 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. Okay, first things first - what kind of dog is Bourbon? How old is he? Has he had any eye problems before? These are just curiosity questions ...

Maybe if everyone is stumped, they could call the Tufts Veterinary School (in Grafton, Massachusetts). They do a lot of research and might have answers others don't.

Sudilar
07-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Welcome pepper and Bourbon!! You'll love it here.

With everything that Killian HAS had, a swollen eye is NOT one of them. I wish I had some advice, but all I can send you is get well wishes. Please keep us posted on what is happening with Bourbon. We care. Whatever is going on with Bourbon, the kind people of this board will help you through it. I know that they have helped me through the continuing Killian crisis. The people here are the BEST. My sincerest good luck wishes go out to you and Bourbon.

Sue Killian and Shiloh

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

Cinder & Smoke
07-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Pepper ~

Here's a link to the Tufts Vet School that Karen mentioned:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petinfo/dvminfo.html

If you surf deep into the site, there are several different search engines that produce a ton of Vet medicine articles and papers. One of them is via Cornell University:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/consult.asp

Good luck researching Bourbon's problem.

Daisy's Mom
07-18-2001, 12:45 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Pepper and Bourbon! You will love it here.

I don't have any advice for you, but my Basset Daisy and I will keep all fingers and toes crossed that nothing serious is wrong.

If it makes Bourbon feel any better, I have poison ivy on my eyelid and so it's swollen too! Hehe :)

pepper636
07-18-2001, 08:37 AM
He did mention his sinuses. I have found blood and puss on the floor and on his leg, thinking that it came from his nose, but who knows? It is a little more raised this morning with swelling between his eyes. I started on the Benedryl again. Could this be a horrible sinus infection?

Sudilar
07-18-2001, 11:28 AM
I hope you find a solution to this problem soon. My thoughts are with you!!
Sue

KYS
07-18-2001, 08:50 PM
Pepper,

I hope your baby is well soon.
It's a horrible feeling not knowing
what is wrong.
Please keep us posted on Bourbon's
progress.

pepper636
07-19-2001, 11:23 AM
Someone suggested colloidal silver to use on the swelled area and also to put on his food (natural antibiotic). Has anyone had any experience with his?

Sudilar
07-19-2001, 12:56 PM
Very interesting....maybe it would help with Killian's eosinophylic gingivitis, too. He was taking antibiotics for that and those drugs could hurt his liver. Please let me know if you find out anything about this.

How's Bourbon today, poor baby?

Sue

tatsxxx11
07-19-2001, 03:08 PM
No experience here with it. But would be very interested to learn more. Sue, perhaps this could be of come help to Killian.

I hope that the vets consider some type of more aggressive treatment for Bourbon soon. Blood and mucus on the floor, coming from his nose, must be very distressing for you. Please let us know how he is today. Hugs to you Bourbon. Hang in there, boy.

pepper636
07-19-2001, 03:16 PM
The Benedryl has taken down the snout swelling. The Benedryl seems to work better than the Baytril and Pred. I have the air on today too and he seems much happier. If it is a sinus infection, I'm sure no air conditioning only aggravated it. I'm looking into the colloidal silver. I'd at least like to give it a try.

Sudilar
07-19-2001, 03:28 PM
Pepper, you didn't have on the a/c? Even if I don't need it (and I usually don't) I have it on for the dogs (pampered pups). Shiloh huffs and puffs as soon as it gets a little warm out! LOL Let me know about what you find on colloidal silver. I'm really interested in it for Killi. Good luck. Glad to hear the Benedryl helped.
Sue

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

Daisy's Mom
07-20-2001, 01:22 AM
Bourbon, Daisy and I still have all fingers and paws crossed for you. Keep the AC on and good luck to both of you.

Sudilar
07-20-2001, 09:04 AM
How's Bourbon doing today?? Hope he is better!
Sue

tatsxxx11
07-20-2001, 04:09 PM
Hi Bourbon...Hope you are feeling better today and that the medicine is helping you sweet boy. Let us know how you are feeling, OK?

Cinder & Smoke
07-20-2001, 07:03 PM
"Colloidal Silver" links:

http://www.perfecthealth4life.com/colloidal_silver.htm

http://www.newexperience.com/colloida.htm

Dad suggests: Please, talk to your Vet BEFORE you administer this or any other alternative treatment to your FurKids. It MAy help, but then again, it may not...

Sudilar
07-21-2001, 12:07 PM
How's that eye today, Bourbon? Hope it's better!
Sue Killian and Shiloh

carrie
07-22-2001, 04:18 AM
Blood and pus coming from the nose when there is such severe eye problems is not unusual. There is a small opening between the eye socket and the nasal canal that can allow fluids to seep through. Has the swelling reduced at all? Keep us posted and good luck.

Logan
07-22-2001, 08:58 AM
Pepper,
I hope you will have some good news to report on Bourbon soon. I don't have any good advice, but it looks like you have been loaded with good information here.
Good luck, and let us know how he is doing. I'll add him to my prayer list.
Logan

pepper636
07-23-2001, 11:27 AM
Nothing worse, maybe a hair better. After researching colloidal silver more, I decided to wait. I believe surgery will be necessary, since all of this medication is really holding it where it's at, not making it better. I'll let you know; it's scheduled for August 1 in the morning. Hopefully, we'll make it through this and will know just what we're fighting. I'm praying it's just a severe sinus infection, but I'm worried that it's some kind of tumor. The only thing that keeps me going is the way it began, like a bee sting or spider bite, then it progressed from there. Thanks for all your posts and insights. They are much appreciated.

Stenograsaurus
07-23-2001, 11:51 AM
Hey, Bourbon. I just wanted you to know that we're all thinking of you at our house. I hope everything goes well for you.

Sudilar
07-23-2001, 12:28 PM
Bourbon and Mom, me and Shiloh want ya ta know we're thinkin, hopin and puppy prayin for you, too. It sure ain't fun when nobuddy knows whats wrong with ya. Mz. Pepper, hang in there. I know how hard it is for you, not knowin' and all. I hope they can figger it out and fix it right quick! Mom says she's prayin for yas too. Shiloh says she'll pray when she's done eatin'. (If ya ax me, that ain't gonna be too much prayin from that little tub of lard! ) Ouch!! She bit me!

Killian (and Shiloh)

In all seriousness, though, Pepper, I KNOW how hard this is on you and my prayers are with you. I hope they can diagnose the problem and cure it. Good luck. We're with you all the way!!
Sue

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

RachelJ
07-23-2001, 12:29 PM
I haven't posted due to this being such a hard topic for me to read and think about because of a tumor one of my previous dogs had. I am checking in to see what the progress is and praying for a accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

I wish I had some answers, but I don't, only much compassion for you and Bourbon.

What kind of dog is Bourbon and how old is he?

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

pepper636
07-23-2001, 01:35 PM
Bourbon is a GSD/Whippet or Greyhound cross. He's 12-1/2 years old but acts much younger. I've known him since he was 2 weeks old and have had him since he was 4 weeks old. He's my baby boy.

Sudilar
07-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Pepper, how's Bourbon doing? Just thinkin' about him.
Sue

pepper636
07-25-2001, 01:14 PM
He's hanging in there. I've told him how many people are praying for him out in cyberspace. At lunch today, there was bloody puss coming out of his nose and then stopped. I've told the vet and he feels it is just draining through the sinuses. I'm hoping it relieves some of the pressure for my poor baby. Next Wednesday is the surgery date. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

lizbud
07-25-2001, 02:14 PM
Pepper
Hello from a fellow Hoosier..I,ve been keeping up on Bourbon's sinus problems and
just wanted you to know that You and Bourbon
are in my prayers.Best of luck with the surgery...My Shep/Husky is having surgery
for a ruptured cruciate ligiment next Tue.
in Anderson. Is'nt the WAITING HARD???

RachelJ
07-25-2001, 03:48 PM
At least with the surgery there is a chance that this situation can be rectified. With my Bailey my vet at the time told me it was not operable. We were left with no recourse but to watch it take its toll on my beautiful baby. Our thoughts and prayer are with you and your boy.

Sudilar
07-25-2001, 04:56 PM
Next Tuesday and Wednesday are going to be some heavy duty prayer days.
Sue

tatsxxx11
07-25-2001, 07:12 PM
That's right Sue. Big prayer days. Sleep tight tonight little angels :) Love, Sandra, Star and Cody

AdoreMyDogs
07-25-2001, 09:08 PM
Bourbon...I hope and pray that the surgery goes well, you recover quickly, and that pressure in your head is quickly (and perminantly) relieved. I am so hoping that it's just a nasty sinus infection...it sure sounds like it to me. You hang in there, Bourbon, because there are alot of people in adition to your mom that love you...like us Pet Talk friends.

Kisses & hugs for a quick recovery.

-Leslie

jackiesdaisy1935
07-25-2001, 09:23 PM
We will be praying that all goes well for Bourbon too and thinking about him. Here is a get well wish from Daisy, Perry and me.

http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/dogginsniff_md_wht.gif

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

Daisy's Mom
07-26-2001, 01:57 AM
Good luck to Pepper's and Liz's precious babies next week! Daisy and I will make sure to pray real hard for them.

RachelJ
07-26-2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by lizbud:
<STRONG>
My Shep/Husky is having surgery
for a ruptured cruciate ligiment next Tue.
in Anderson. </STRONG>

where/what is a cruciate ligiment? Tell us more about what happened/how this came about.

We'll be thinking and praying for your precious one.

lizbud
07-26-2001, 10:22 AM
Hi Bourbon.Hope you feeling okay today.
My dog Buddy and I wish you the best of
luck next Weds. Everyone on Pet Talk is pulling for you too.GOOD LUCK AND SPEEDY RECOVERY to ya big guy.
P.S. Rachel .Originally posted re Bud's condition on 'Lilly's diet is going to be TOUGH' b/c he had just started the diet 3
days before this injury.
P.P.S. Thanks for all the kindness & prayers
offered by EVERYONE on Pet Talk and Rachel
I PROMISE to Bite my tongue and not whine
so much about a 'fixable' condition when
so many people have pets with BIG problems
that can't be 'fixed' So sorry about Bailey!!

pepper636
07-26-2001, 11:35 AM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. As I said this is my first time posting on this board and you all have made me feel so welcome. I'm taking tomorrow off to spend a three day weekend with him, so no internet for me until Monday. Please keep Bourbon in your prayers.

tatsxxx11
07-26-2001, 12:13 PM
Of course Pepper! Please give Bourbon the biggest get well hug and kiss from all of us here. You and Bourbon will be in our heart and prayers! Sandra, Cody and Star

Sudilar
07-26-2001, 04:32 PM
We will be thinking about you and Bourbon. Try to have some fun!!
Sue, Killian and Shiloh

Daisy's Mom
07-27-2001, 12:11 AM
We love having you here as much as you love BEING here, Pepper! Have a great weekend wit your little sweet Bourbon boy. Give him kisses for me and Daisy! We'll be praying for him.

Sudilar
07-31-2001, 09:16 AM
Good luck at the vet tomorrow. I hope everything goes well and it's not serious. We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how it turns out. We'll be waiting on pins and needles with you.!! Our thoughts and doggy prayers are with you.
Sue, Killian and Shiloh

pepper636
07-31-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks again. I'm on pins and needles already. Tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. I'm going to stay home from work to try to keep as sane as I can. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

RachelJ
07-31-2001, 11:45 AM
Bourbon is on my mind and in my heart. I hope this procedure will offer some relief to his discomfort and an end to the worry that you have had.
Love from Rachel, Hannah, and Tucker

AdoreMyDogs
07-31-2001, 12:13 PM
Pepper, I am sending you and Bourbon tons of positive thoughts for a quick & easy surgery. I hope it's nothing is seriously wrong, I am sure it's just a bad sinus infection and Bourbon will be feeling a zillion times better after they relieve all the pressure.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-31-2001, 02:43 PM
Good luck tomorrow Bourbon and Pepper, we will be thinking all those positive thoughts and some prayers too that all goes well. Please let us know as soon as you can as we will all be worried.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
07-31-2001, 04:11 PM
Our prayers are with you Bourbon and Pepper. We are thinking of you with love and hoping that you will be feeling better very soon. Let us know how Bourbon is doing when you can Pepper. Love, Sandra

lizbud
07-31-2001, 09:41 PM
Pepper..
Just a short note to let You & Bourbon
know that you both are in my prayers.
BEST OF LUCK tomorrow from me & Bud.

joycenalex
07-31-2001, 10:19 PM
pepper you and bourbon are in my thoughts tonight. may the vet sleep well and do excellent, careful work tomorrow. blessings on you all. joyce and alex the wonder dog

Logan
07-31-2001, 10:29 PM
Good luck tomorrow, Pepper. We will certainly be anxiously waiting to hear from you. Give Bourbon an extra hug and kiss from me! :D

Daisy's Mom
08-01-2001, 12:54 AM
Good luck, Pepper and Bourbon! You're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything turns out A-okay!

Stenograsaurus
08-01-2001, 09:32 AM
Well, Bourbon, it's 10:30 now. I hope everything is going okay for you. I'm thinking of and praying for you.

RachelJ
08-01-2001, 11:44 AM
Me too.

Sudilar
08-01-2001, 12:46 PM
Please let us know as soon as you can. We are all concerned!!!!! Good luck to you, Bourbon. Our prayers and wishes are with you.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

tatsxxx11
08-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Waiting for some good news from Pepper about our special pal Bourbon!! All paws crossed.

Iditarodfan
08-01-2001, 02:51 PM
SO SORRY BOURBON AND VERY SPECIAL AND LOVING GUARDIAN. WELCOME TO DOTD. HOPE YOU WILL SOON DO BETTER. OUR SWEET "MOLLY G" SEES AN OPTHAMALOGIST VETERINARIAN FOR GLAUCOMA. ANY EYE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR BELOVED PET DON'T HESITATE TO SEE A SPECIALIST. IT PAID OFF FOR US AND MORE IMPORTANTLY MOLLY. AFTERALL A TRUE HUNTRESS CAN'T CHASE THE SQUIRRELS OUT OF HER TERRITORY WITH JUST HER NOSE. :D
BOURBON, WITH A NAME LIKE THAT YOU'RE BOUND TO HAVE COURAGE! I WISH YOU LUCK, I WELL PRAY FOR YOU, AND DO A VOODOO SPELL. GET WELL, QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

RachelJ
08-01-2001, 07:29 PM
They say no news is good news, but I'm getting worried.

tatsxxx11
08-01-2001, 07:33 PM
Me too, Rachel. Oh, Bourbon. Please be OK.

Sudilar
08-01-2001, 07:35 PM
So am I. I keep checking every few minutes. I'm hoping that Pepper is just too busy with Bourbon to check in here. I sure wish we knew something, though. I hope he is all right.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

AdoreMyDogs
08-01-2001, 10:03 PM
I hope no news is good news. I am worried.

carrie
08-02-2001, 04:23 AM
We are all thinking of you and willing things to be well. Let us know soon how things are going.

pepper636
08-02-2001, 08:24 AM
Thank God Bourbon got through surgery. I took him in at 8:00 a.m. and they said to call at 11:00 a.m. if nobody had called me. When I called at 11:00 a.m., they said he was still in surgery and they would call when they were done. So from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., I was a basket case. I called at 1:00 p.m., I guess the nurse had gone to lunch and forgotten to call me, he was coming out of anethesia. When I went to pick him up at 3:00 p.m., he was a little woozy, but OK. They still really don't know what's wrong. They left the bone in; it's still attached on the right side. The left side of the bone has a hole in it and under that hole in his sinuses is some "irregular tissue". No nodule to remove (which I believe in vet's terms is a tumor); he just scraped some tissue and sent it off to the lab. He said it's definitely in his sinuses which is why he has blood coming from his nose sometimes. I'm just so glad he made it. I was really rethinking the surgery between 11 and 1. Did I really do the right thing? But now that he's made it through, I'm glad I did it, even though yesterday was one of my worst days ever, I think. At least we should know what it is - the results are supposed to be in Saturday or Monday. Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. I felt them with me yesterday.

RachelJ
08-02-2001, 08:59 AM
He made it through surgery and there is no tumor. Those prayers were answered. Now we have to work on his recovery and that the problem (whatever it was) was somehow made better by the surgery. Lots of attention and love for Bourbon, please...like I even have to mention that!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-02-2001, 10:28 AM
I have had experience with a similar situation, and haven't been able to respond before now. Now that Bourbon has made it out of surgery, with no tumor found, I can breathe easier.
He is in my most heartfelt prayers and I will continue to pray for his recovery, and that the tissue sample that was taken is not that irregular.

Sudilar
08-02-2001, 11:52 AM
Glad the surgery is over! Hope he starts to feel better soon. I'm glad it is not a tumor. I will be praying that the tissue sample is unremarkable also. We will continue to worry about you and sweet Bourbon til we know what is wrong. I hope the surgery relieved the problem and recovery is on it's way. You will be in our prayers!!! Good luck!

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

tatsxxx11
08-02-2001, 04:51 PM
I am so glad to hear that the surgery is over. How hard the wait must have been for you!!! We have all been there and know how all that "second guessing" runs through your mind at a time like this. . You did do the right thing, as hard a decision as that was! Hopefully Bourbon will be a bit more comfortable now. And we are all with you with love and prayers as you wait for the tissue analysis. Please give Bourbon big get well hugs and kisses for us. What a brave boy! Sleep well sweetie.

KYS
08-02-2001, 06:59 PM
Glad the surgery went well for your baby.
Now we will be waiting on pins and needles
to fine out the results on Monday.
Lots of hugs and kisses for Bourbon.

Daisy's Mom
08-02-2001, 11:47 PM
I am so glad the surgery went okay! As Rachel said, it looks like all our prayers worked, and now we will concentrate them on making Bourbon feel all better.

Gio
08-03-2001, 06:44 AM
I'm so pleased that Bourbon feels a bit better. Even though I did not post here before, I followed the thread through and kept both of you in my thoughts.

lizbud
08-03-2001, 10:21 PM
pepper... Hi from me and Buddy!
How is Bourbon feeling today? Better we
hope!!! Does Bourbon have any allergies
that you know of?? (Sorry if you posted the
fact before..but dont't think i saw it
if you did) Also did your Doc rule out
insect bite as a possible cause of the
original infection??
Just wonder as you do 'what the heck made
this happen ???' to Bourbon.
Hope all tests come back 'free & clear'
and your furkid is a happy camper again.
You both will stay in our prayers...

Sudilar
08-04-2001, 08:49 AM
Continued hopes and prayers that the tissue sample shows nothing serious. You are in our thoughts. Hang in there. Hope Bourbon is doing well today!!

tatsxxx11
08-05-2001, 05:24 AM
How is Bourbon doing? I hope he's feeling better. Please let us know when you can. And give him a big hug and kiss.

Sudilar
08-05-2001, 11:48 PM
Thinking about you and Bourbon today. I hope the news you receive today is good. Let us know as soon as you can because we are as worried as you are! Our prayers are with you.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

RachelJ
08-06-2001, 06:51 AM
I'm hoping the news from Pepper will be that Bourbon is recovering well from his surgery and not showing any new signs of swelling. That poor baby has just been through so much. I just want him to get better. I knew last week was going to be a hard one with both Bourbon and Buddy having their surgery, but I didn't realize just how hard it was going to be. I guess this is the "down side" of knowing all these wonderful doggies.

pepper636
08-06-2001, 08:49 AM
No good news. The vet called this morning and said it is osteosarcoma in his sinuses. I'm going to Purdue University, a highly respected vet school in Lafayette, Indiana tomorrow. From what I've read in a short time on the internet, there is not a high success rate on this. I can't believe this is happening such a short time after Buster died. I don't know what to do.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-06-2001, 09:08 AM
I am so sorry. I don't know what to say except that you and Bourbon are in my prayers.

Sudilar
08-06-2001, 09:09 AM
Oh, pepper, my heart goes out to Bourbon and you! I hope and pray that you will find something to help him. I will be praying for a miracle for you. Please keep us posted. We care very much!!!

Sue

Gio
08-06-2001, 09:17 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear this. Please look after yourself, we will all keep praying for Bourbon. I only wish there is more I could do to help you.

Take care
Gio

jackiesdaisy1935
08-06-2001, 09:37 AM
Oh Pepper, I am so sorry to hear that news, I hope and pray something will turn around Bourbon's condition for the good. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to you and Bourbon.

RachelJ
08-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Oh, Pepper, I am so sorry about the diagnosis. I don't suppose it is any consolation, but at least you know what you are dealing with.

I know this is not a road you want to travel with Bourbon, and whatever decisions you make for his treatment are going to be difficult ones with no easy answers. Remember, we are here to listen to whatever you feel like sharing. Many of us have been where you are at. It helped to share my concerns, my fears, my feelings during such such a troubling situation. So stay with us and we will stay with you.

I wish we could see a picture of your *baby boy*, Bourbon.

pepper636
08-06-2001, 01:15 PM
How do you post pictures?

I picked up the biopsy report to take with me. It says "this tumor is expected to be locally invasive with a low chance of metastasis. Osteosarcomas of the head tend to metastasize less than appendicular osteosarcomas." I guess that's some consolation. However, what is odd is that when they went in for the biopsy, the vet said there was nothing to remove, no nodules. What does that mean, does anyone know?

Does anyone have the website for Irish Setters of America I think it's called? I understand this is a disease there are susceptible to and I heard that they have done alot of research on it. I would like to delve into that if I can.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: pepper ]

jackiesdaisy1935
08-06-2001, 01:52 PM
Hi Pepper, I believe the address of the Irish Setter Club of America is http://www.irishsetterclub.org/
Have you opened a Webshot album? It is free and easy and then you can transfer your photos here. I think the address is http://www.webshots.com
Hope all goes well.
Jackie

pepper636
08-06-2001, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jackie
http://community.webshots.com/album/18830750XkiXWCpKXx

tatsxxx11
08-06-2001, 02:30 PM
Here is the beautiful Bourbon

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/4Q/il/hE/bL61005.jpg

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-06-2001, 02:31 PM
Bourbon is such a beauty - looks so sweet and loving!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-06-2001, 02:49 PM
Bourbon is beautiful, he looks so calm, sweet and loving. I'm so sorry he has to go through all of this. Please give him a hug from me. I think once a dog gets on here we all feel they belong to all of us, we worry about them, love them and care of course what happens to them.

08-06-2001, 03:00 PM
Hi Pepper,

I just read thru this whole story and I think I'm caught up. I just wanted to tell you that you and Beautiful, Beautiful Bourbon have been added to my prayers. I am so sorry that your baby has to go through this. I hope he is doing well. He sounds like a strong trooper. Good thoughts all around Pepper.

Please give him a huge hug and kiss from me my 3 girls.

Sudilar
08-06-2001, 03:30 PM
Pepper, Bourbon is so handsome!!! Give this a good fight! The results give some hope. With all the prayers here, maybe it can be fixed. It hurts so bad when our babies are sick. We will be praying for Bourbon and you, too!

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

tatsxxx11
08-06-2001, 06:03 PM
Pepper, Bourbon is SO beautiful. I wish I could give his sweet face lots of get well kisses. I'm so, so sad and sorry that the news was not as good as we had hoped. The good part is that the biopsy is encouraging; and you are giving him the best chance for a full recovery, taking him to Purdue U. As for why there was "nothing to be removed" at the time of the biopsy...there perhaps was not enough tumorous tissue there to even be seen. It may in the very early stage and detected only on a cellular level. I will be waiting very anxiously as you travel to Purdue. With their help, and all the love and prayers of the many, many people who love and care for Bourbon, we just have to believe that Bourbon will recover. All my love to you and please, please give Bourbon a big hug and kiss. Love, Sandra Cody and Star

Daisy's Mom
08-07-2001, 12:20 AM
Pepper I am so sorry! We will all continue the prayers, and send more of them your way. My heart goes out to you. Kisses to you, Bourbon. You are so handsome! What a sweet face, and such loving eyes. Good luck to you.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Daisy's Mom ]

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-07-2001, 07:31 AM
FYI: Irish Wolfhounds are also prone to osteosarcoma. I know you were looking for Irish Setter owners, so maybe Irish Wolfhound owners would also have some insight or advice. I think the webite for the Irish Wolfhound Club of America is http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

Stenograsaurus
08-07-2001, 11:26 AM
Oh, Pepper, I'm so sorry. I just caught up today on Bourbon. You guys are in my prayers. I hope you get good news at Purdue. By the way, Bourbon, you are simply gorgeous.

tatsxxx11
08-08-2001, 01:03 PM
How is Bourbon doing today? Please know you are constantly in our hearts and prayers. Love and kisses to you beautiful Bourbon, you are truly precious. Love,Sandra, Cody and Star

KYS
08-08-2001, 06:02 PM
Prayers and thoughts for you and
Bourbon.
You are both close to our hearts.
Sending many wishes and hugs to you both.

RachelJ
08-08-2001, 07:31 PM
I think about and pray for Bourbon every day. Thanks for posting his picture.

pepper636
08-10-2001, 09:50 AM
Well, just got back from Purdue. They found a 5 centimeter mass in his abdomen (spleen). Took an ultra sound (portable equipment?), he was not originally scheduled for an ultrasound so the fancy stuff with radiologist was not available, there was something there with holes in it. Vet said when it looked like that, there was a 50% chance it was benign and a 50% chance it was malignant. They wanted to operate on it today. I said no, I do not make split second decisions. I will wait to talk to my own vet and go from there. They believe they can remove the mass by his eye but they are not 100% sure what that is either. Purdue felt the lab report was incomplete and wanted to do another biopsy which I did not agree to. Why put Bourbon through more? Yesterday, light bulb went off, and they asked the lab up here to send them the slide which they used to come up with their results. If that lab says it's osteosarcoma, then I guess I'll have to believe it. If they do remove the mass and the surrounding bone and tissue, they may have to remove the eye as well. This just sounds like way too much for me. They let me take Bourbon to the motel Wednesday night rather than leaving him at Purdue and he was so good. He's never been in a motel and was the perfect dog. He is so happy and eats so well and acts like nothing is wrong. I hate to take this boy and subject him to all this surgery with no guarantees. Even if there were guarantees, I don't really feel comfortable doing it.

I spoke with my vet this morning and I am going to investigate holistic medicine. He is all for it and has put me in touch with a holistic vet. I also found a woman (through Debbie Martin) whose dog Sander had osteosarcoma in the roof of his mouth. The vets gave him 1-2 months. Surgery, chemo and radiation were not an option per her vet so she found a woman in Oregon who is very familiar with holistic for dogs with cancer. She put her on a treatment regimen and it has been 2-1/2 years. What a success story! I'm going to go that route too with both my vet and the holistic vet on board. I feel it will be the best for Bourbon who turns 13 in October. It won't be invasive and hopefully will give him the time he was supposed to have. We are also going to continue with the antibiotics since some infection is still present and also with 1 pred every other day to act as a chemo agent. I will also continue with the antihistamines twice a day. I feel comfortable with this decision and I hope for once I am putting what's best for Bourbon ahead of what's best for me which is trying to keep Bourbon with me forever, at whatever cost to him.

Gio
08-10-2001, 10:32 AM
Pepper,

I'm so sorry to hear about Bourbon's problems. What you said at the end of your post is so true, sometime we chose what's best for us and we do no opt what's the best for our beloved pet. We found out that my first cat had cancer when she was 13, she had surgery but died two months after that. We now wish we did not put her through that, a lot of pain for such a short extra time. We were to scared of letting her go. I think that quality time is more important.

I think that the holistic medicine route is a good one, I'm a great believer in alternative medicine as well and I know that there can be good results. And as you said, it's not based on invasive procedures and is painless.

I'm thinking of you both, give a big hug to Bourbon and remember we are here if you need to talk.

Take care
Gio

RachelJ
08-10-2001, 12:27 PM
Pepper, I can only speak for myself, but I think you are making a very intelligent decision. I consider Bourbon's age to be a real factor here. Even if he did not have this particular problem, he is getting to an age where one has to accept that he is not going to be with us forever. The quality of his life is as important as the length of it. He has been through one surgery and it was worth it to find a chance for a solution. From all the information you have given us here, my gut feeling is that you are going in the right direction.

Sudilar
08-10-2001, 02:38 PM
Pepper, my heart goes out to you and Bourbon. I know what you are going through. Sometimes the "possible (?) cure" can kill the dog. I know because that is how it is with Killian. If the dog feels well now and he is 13 years old, why make him suffer through surgery which might kill him. Even the results of the surgery are iffy. My fear for you is the fact that he has a mass in the eye area and also in the spleen. Science can sometimes go too far. Quality of life is more important than quantity of life. You want Bourbon feeling good for as long as you have him. I whole-heartedly agree. That's what I want for my dog, too. It's another story when they are not feeling well and at a much younger age. Hopefully the meds and holistic approach will help Bourbon to continue to feel good. I would do as you are doing given Bourbon's age. Believe me, my heart is with you!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Sue

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

jackiesdaisy1935
08-10-2001, 03:39 PM
Pepper, I know this is such a difficult decision for you to make. I believe what the others have said, Quality of life at this time is most important and that he enjoys doing the things he loves most. It would be hard for me to put my dogs through all that surgery if they were at his age, that's for sure. I believe if I was in your shoes, I would go for the Holistic Approach and continue him on his medications. I believe you are doing what you feel is best for Bourbon and we will all continue to pray and have positive thoughts for him, I wish I could give him a hug right this minute, maybe you could do it for me.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
08-10-2001, 11:06 PM
Pepper I agree with everyone else; you are making the right decision. I am so sorry for you; I know this can't be easy. We are all praying for sweet Bourbon. Kisses to him! Please keep us updated.

Sudilar
08-14-2001, 10:58 PM
Pepper, how is Bourbon doing? He's in our prayers (you, too).

tatsxxx11
08-15-2001, 07:20 AM
Pepper. Like everyone else, I do believe you are doing the right, and best thing for him. What a difficult decision I'm sure. We all hope and pray that the course you have decided to persue will bring him some relief and improve his quality of life. You are a wonderful, devoted mom. And Bourbon is the most beautiful and bravest dog. I pray for you both every day. Please give him a big, big hug from me. Love, Sandra

pepper636
08-15-2001, 08:31 AM
I began the holistic medication Monday afternoon. He is very good at taking it, there is quite a bit. I am also weaning him off dog food to a natural diet. I am supposed to think of him as a diabetic and feed him accordingly. Any ideas would be appreciated - no sugar. I have a call in to my vet with a few questions. I thought his swelling looked bad yesterday, but I put some bacitracin on it and it looks a little improved today. You know, you're afraid to say it looks better, but I think it does. He's still acting great. I sure hope this works.

Sudilar
08-15-2001, 09:30 AM
I'm praying that it does! Good luck!

lizbud
08-15-2001, 09:37 AM
Pepper..
So good to hear that Bourbon is in good spirits.Sorry i can't advise anything about
his diet, but Buddy & I want You to know
that YOU BOTH are in our hearts and always
remembered in my prayers.

carrie
08-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Totally, totally agree with your decision against surgery. My heart tore a little when I read your decision as I am so proud of you for putting your, may I say very gorgeous, dog before yourself. At thirteen years of age he has had too good a life to let selfish hope and need get in the way but I'm not sure how many of us (well, me, really) would of been so compassionate. All my love to you and your family (human and animal) and I am proud to "know" you. Keep us up to date when you can and when you want to.

Daisy's Mom
08-15-2001, 07:33 PM
Pepper and Bourbon, Daisy and I are still thinking about and praying for the two of you. Carrie, you said it all perfectly. Pepper you are such a sweet, caring person, putting wonderful Bourbon's needs before your own. I can only hope that if/when I ever have to make a decision like this, I can do what is best for Daisy like you are doing for Bourbon. He really does appreciate it, and I bet he loves you all the more for it. I hope his treatment is working!

pepper636
08-16-2001, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the compliments. I think the only way I was able to come to this decision is because I've been there before and I went the opposite way. My beloved Pepper was diagnosed with cancer; he passed away about 6 months before I got Bourbon. Back then, they didn't have chemo and radition for dogs, but I opted for surgery, I think 5 surgeries. I always wondered if I had done the right thing. Well, I have another chance to make the "right" decision. I spoke with the vet again yesterday; he and another vet conferred and he felt that the spleen should be removed before it ruptured. I went back and forth again but then I thought I've committed to holistic and I believe I should stay with that decision. After all, if it is osteosarcoma (tests back from Purdue find no evidence, but previous slide test that other lab made their decision from has still not come back from Purdue), from what I've researched, he'll need his spleen to help fight the cancer, which is what the holistic meds are doing too. They will not "cure" the cancer, just make it a chronic disease which, hopefully, Bourbon and I can live with.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-16-2001, 09:36 AM
Pepper, you are going through a terrible crisis right now, and probably doubting whether you are making the right decision for Bourbon. Which ever way you go is a risk, you have tried the other way, who knows maybe the holistic will give him more time to have quality in his life. I still think I would go the way you are going at least it wouldn't be invasive and I have heard good things about it. No matter what the Vets say, it is your decision in the long run to make, you are the one who loves him so much.
Jackie

sammi
08-16-2001, 11:04 AM
Pepper, Thinking of you and Bourbon and praying for you. It is very wonderful of you to be able to put your dogs needs first. We usually like to do what makes us feel right or good.

Sudilar
08-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Is the spleen terribly close to rupturing? Or do they think that in the future it might happen?

My prayers are with you. I understand what you are going through and only you can make the best decision for your furbaby. Good luck.

Daisy's Mom
08-16-2001, 10:06 PM
Pepper, my prayers and thougths are with you. I think of sweet Bourbon often. Kisses to him!

pepper636
08-17-2001, 08:19 AM
They told me there is a possibility the spleen may rupture, but the mass is only 2 centimeters at this time. He continues to feel good as far as I can tell. The holistic medicine is supposed to cut off blood supply to the masses so if it does it's job, I'm hoping the spleen will be OK. I have an appointment at the vet on Monday to aspirate the blood and pus from above his eye. I'll have to put a scarf around his head so he doesn't feel self-conscious out in public.

I'm going to be on vacation next week (my birthday's Sunday) so I will not be able to post. Please keep Bourbon in your thoughts and prayers.

Gio
08-17-2001, 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday!
Have a nice vacation and don't worry we will keep those prayers coming for dear Bourbon.

Sudilar
08-17-2001, 08:26 AM
Happy birthday Sunday!!!! :) :)
Try to have a great vacation and please keep us posted as soon as you get back. We will be praying.
Glad to hear that Bourbon is feeling well. I also agree with your decision. I pray that it works and gives you more quality time with your beloved furbaby.
Have a great vacation!!!!

KYS
08-17-2001, 09:10 AM
Wishing you a happy birthday and a safe
vacation. We will all be hoping the best and thinking of both Bourbon and you.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-17-2001, 09:58 AM
I'm also wishing you a Happy Birthday and of course Bourbon will be in our hearts and thoughts and prayers. Please try to enjoy yourself on your vacation, I think you need the rest and change. :)
Jackie

pepper636
08-17-2001, 10:24 AM
I will be spending my vacation at home with Bourbon and the rest of my furbabies. I'm really not a go-away type person, especially not when one of my babies is sick. I don't have the internet at home so work is my only access to it. I do plan on enjoying my time away from work and spending it with those I love.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Good for you Pepper, I can't think of a better vacation then spending it with those we love.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
08-17-2001, 08:51 PM
I agree with Jackie, Pepper, that's a great idea. I hope you have a great vacation and a very happy birthday. We are all praying for sweet Bourbon, and for you too. Keep your chin up.

tatsxxx11
08-19-2001, 09:11 AM
Dearest Pepper, I wanted to wish you congratulations on your birthday. I know the greatest birthday gift you could receive, would be a healthy and happy Bourbon. I pray that the medicine and the powers above, grant your wish. I think of you both and keep you in our prayers every day. I hope you have a restful birthday on Sunday, holding your babies close and soaking up every bit of their love. Bourbon is, as Carrie says, a truly beautiful dog. I hope you will give him lots of hugs and kisses from me and my family. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

tatsxxx11
08-21-2001, 12:28 PM
Pepper...How is sweet Bourbon doing? Please know I think of you both every day, and send you all of our love and best wishes and prayers that Bourbon is doing better. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

tatsxxx11
08-23-2001, 04:34 PM
Pepper, please write a short note on how Bourbon's doing. I have been worrying lately, not having heard any updates. Paws crossed that Bourbon is comfortable and doing well. Hugs and kisses to you Bourbon.
Love, Sandra, Star and Cody

Sudilar
08-23-2001, 11:02 PM
Same here, pepper. How's Bourbon? We are worried.

RachelJ
08-24-2001, 11:38 AM
Bourbon and Pepper, we continue to think about you both and hope for Bourbon's days to be without pain or discomfort.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-24-2001, 02:18 PM
Same here, been thinking about you and how you both are doing.
Jackie

pepper636
08-27-2001, 08:25 AM
Well, I'm back at work. It was great being at home last week. My birthday was wonderful. Bourbon's doing the same, still happy and feeling good as far as I can tell. I can't believe he's only been on the medicine two weeks today. It seems like alot longer. He isn't bleeding anymore and his bump feels less hot. Those are the two changes I've noticed. I'll have to check with Connie and see how Sander progressed when he first started this treatment 2-1/2 years ago.

Daisy's Mom
08-28-2001, 01:08 AM
That sounds like Bourbon's doing pretty good! I am so happy to hear that! I was really worried when we didn't hear from you in a while, but I kep telling myself, "No news is good news." Sweet beautiful Bourbon will stay in my prayers. I hope he keeps getting better!

Sudilar
08-28-2001, 07:58 AM
Hope Bourbon continues to feel well. Will continue our prayers for your pup!!

KYS
08-28-2001, 08:19 AM
Ditto for me,
Hope Bourbon continues to get better,
and keeping you both in my thoughts.

karen israel
08-28-2001, 02:34 PM
Same here....Glad you had a great birthday at least and enjoyed yourself! Kisses and hugs to Bourbon with lots of heartfelt prayers for a full recovery! K9Karen

tatsxxx11
08-28-2001, 05:50 PM
So nice to hear from you Pepper. And so happy to hear that beautiful Bourbon is feeling better. Please give him a big, big hug and kiss. :) What a brave boy!! Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

tatsxxx11
08-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Dear Pepper...We're thinking of you and hoping your feeling well. Sleep well sweet angel.
Love, Sandra, Star and Cody

tatsxxx11
09-03-2001, 04:33 PM
Beautiful Bourbon. How are you boy? We're all thinking of you and your mom with love and prayers that you are feeling better each and every day. Let us know how you're doing when you can, OK? Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

pepper636
09-04-2001, 10:46 AM
Bourbon's holding his own. He is still real healthy other than the eye. I'm continuing on his holistic meds. I understand from the woman who directed me that it takes 2 - 10 weeks for the herbs/meds to get into the system to boost his immune system. It was 3 weeks yesterday. So we keep going on and praying for this to become only a chronic condition. Bourbon says hi and thanks to all of you.

Daisy's Mom
09-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Bourbon, Daisy and I find ourselves thinking about you and your sweet mommy a lot. We really hope your holistic medicine works for you, hun! Keep us posted, okay? Love ya!
Bridget and Daisy

tatsxxx11
09-04-2001, 05:24 PM
We love you Pepper and Bourbon....Fight on sweet boy!! Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

Sudilar
09-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Hang in there, Bourbon. We're praying that everything goes well for you!

lizbud
09-04-2001, 08:45 PM
Pepper..Glad to hear that Bourbon is holding
his own & does not show any outward signs off
pain or distress!! Just' keep on keeping on'
sweet baby, and Bud & I send Good Positive
Thoughts your way !!!! Keep in touch o.k. ??

jackiesdaisy1935
09-05-2001, 06:09 PM
Bourbon you just keep doing what your Mom says and we are all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Everyone loves you so much this has to work. Kisses and hugs from Daisy, Perry and me.
Jackie

lizbud
09-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Pepper,
Hi! Just a note to say that I've been thinking about You and Bourbon lately and
wanted you to know that prayers and good
wishes are still coming your way from Indy..
Drop everyone a line sometime just to let
people know how things are going.
All the Best to you & Bourbon !!!

RachelJ
09-18-2001, 05:47 AM
No, we haven't forgotten about Bourbon either. In fact we think about him a lot and wish the best for him.

pepper636
09-18-2001, 09:01 AM
Hello everybody. Bourbon and I are still hanging in there. His bump looks bigger but also is softer. A week ago Friday the vet removed 120 cc of fluid from two areas above his eye. Back then his eye seemed to be bothering him, but recently he seems adjusted to it. Still on holistic and natural foods. I've even made Bourbon almost a vegetarian. Cottage cheese and broccoli are a staple and then I vary salmon, sardines and tuna. Once a week I give him boiled ground turkey or ground beef.
Back to the vet this Wednesday for more fluid removal. Thanks for thinking of us. It means a lot.

lizbud
09-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Pepper,
I'm so happy that Bourbon is still doing O.K. His menu sounds very appetizing !!No
kidding ,sounds like a good balance of foods.
Will keep You & Bourbon in my thought and prayers, that He stay in your loving care
for a long, long time.All the Best!!!
Lizbud.

Gio
09-18-2001, 10:54 AM
I'm pleased that Bourbon is OK. Good luck with the vet visit and Wednesday.

tatsxxx11
09-18-2001, 11:55 AM
See Pepper! I think all of us Pet Talkers have an internal clock that alerts us to friends and furkids from whom we have not heard recently. Thank you for your sweet reply. With all of this powerful, healing love coming Bourbon's way, he has no choice but to stay the course. We just love him so much! And you as well. Kisses to precious sweet Bourbon. Love, Sandra

Daisy's Mom
09-18-2001, 02:31 PM
I am so glad that Bourbon is holding his own. Kisses to the sweet little guy. I agree, his menu sounds good!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-18-2001, 02:57 PM
Good for Bourbon, I am so glad he is eating and doing well. Thanks for the update, he is very much in our thoughts.
Jackie

kobieeli
09-18-2001, 03:21 PM
A confession: I've been here at PetTalk for over a month and only just now read this thread. My bad....I am thinking of Bourbon and praying for his recovery! Pepper, you sound like a wise and brave person who is doing everything right. :)

Sudilar
09-18-2001, 08:24 PM
Hang in there, Bourbon. I'm so glad your diet is helping you. I wish you continued good luck with it!! Thanks for the update. We were thinking about you.

pepper636
09-20-2001, 02:24 PM
I took Bourbon to the vet yesterday to aspirate his bump again. You could feel the fluid in it. My vet (Larry) said he would rather lance it and get all the fluid out. I went with that, got to be with Bourbon so I could see how he took it. He was really good and so much fluid was removed that his left eye is almost totally open again. Larry says that his eye is still working. The fluid was old blood cells and very mucousy (sp). The only problem I'm having now is to stop the leakage from the lance (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!). Next time I'm going to put on one of those collars for a day. There's bloody gook everywhere. I now have a bandage on it with tape over it. I hope he leaves that on.

He looked so good after the lancing. Larry said if he didn't have that lump on his head, you'd never know anything was wrong with him. All three vets there said he looked great. He's put on four pounds too so I guess I'm feeding him enough. I am cautiously encouraged. What I thought was the lump increasing in size was actually fluid buildup. And the heat from the lump appears to be gone, which I understand is a good sign.

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2001, 03:11 PM
Way to go, Bourbon! :D

Now try to leave the boo-boo tape alone long enough to let the zipper seal up!

Hope yer gettin alotta *biskitz* cuz you were so good ;). But watch those *pounds* ~ put too many on and then the Two-Leggers will start hounding that ya gotz too many of 'em :rolleyes:. Them Hoomins are nebber happie!

Daisy's Mom
09-20-2001, 03:49 PM
You go, dog! I am glad he is looking good. He is so gorgeous. Keep getting better, hun.

Logan
09-20-2001, 04:08 PM
Hey Bourbon! It is so good to get a positive report! Your mom, Pepper, sure is taking good care of you! Especially if you gained 4 pounds!! Eat well, and feel well, my friend. :D We think about you constantly and are always glad to get a happy update! :D

Sudilar
09-20-2001, 06:33 PM
Yay, that was even a better report. I'm so glad your getting better!!! Keep it up! :) :)

tatsxxx11
09-20-2001, 06:44 PM
What wonderful news!!! Good, brave Bourbon! I'm so happy Pepper. Love and hugs to the man! Love, Sandra

Gio
09-21-2001, 03:26 AM
I'm so happy that Bourbon is feeling better.

lizbud
09-22-2001, 09:37 PM
Pepper,
If I read all your posts correctly,you do not have a pc at home. No matter,you can
read this Monday..Still thinking of Bourbon
and You Pepper.Did you get the leakage problem fixed? Sorry I did not know what to
advise for that situation..
You Both are in my thoughts & prayers !!!
I pray for strength to You and Bourbon in
this fight for Good health & Happier times...

pepper636
09-24-2001, 04:32 PM
Yes, the leakage problem scabbed over that night, leaked a little at lunch the next day and now seems OK. Someone suggested a pantyhouse assembly so I'll have to put my mind to work on that for the next drainage session (which is hopefully very far away). It really didn't seem to bother him; hey, he didn't have to clean up all the bloody gook. And the pressure relief had to be tremendous for him. So, we'll just keep on plugging away. No pun intended, but now he has the runs. Poor guy has been through so much lately, it's no wonder.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-24-2001, 05:23 PM
Pepper you are a wonderful person to love Bourbon so much to take on so much responsibility for caring for him. I know he appreciates all your love and dedication to him. It has to be hard to see one thing get better only to have something else happen. We will continue to have positive thoughts for you both and a few prayers won't hurt either.
Jackie

Sudilar
09-24-2001, 08:34 PM
Just when you think everything is going well, something else pops up! I hope everything goes well for dear Bourbon! Pepper, you are wonderful for all you do for Bourbon. Keep up the good work!

Gio
09-25-2001, 06:36 AM
Bourbon is a very brave dog, I think it's thanks to a very special mom.

RachelJ
09-25-2001, 10:49 AM
Sounds like this procedure has offered Bourbon some much needed relief. You just have to take this day by day, because it looks like that is all any of us have anyway. Your a really good mom to give Bourbon the best care possible. I know this isn't easy.

tatsxxx11
09-25-2001, 12:57 PM
We think of you Bourbon with such love, every single day. Pepper, you are the most special of moms'. I hope that Bourbon's tummy gets better soon. The boy's been through enough! Love to you both.

Daisy's Mom
09-25-2001, 09:21 PM
Kisses to sweet, beautiful Bourbon! Keep on getting better, boy!

tatsxxx11
09-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Just checkin in Bourbon. Thinking of you!!

pepper636
10-05-2001, 11:27 AM
The poor guy has the runs again. It has to be one or both of the holistic medicines I added recently. He's been on this diet for quite a while and while his poop was soft, it was never runny. So I've stopped the last pill I started him on and we'll see what happens. It looks like we'll have to lance his eye again. Hopefully, it will last until my vet gets back from the Cayman Islands. My appointment is October 18. But if needed, I really like another vet there so I can get him in if I need to. Continued prayers please.

tatsxxx11
10-05-2001, 11:49 AM
I'm so sorry Bourbon has the runnys. I hope too, that you vet will be back in time. At least there is back up, just in case. And Bourbon is in our prayers every single day. He is so loved here. Please give him a big hug from us Pepper. Love you, Bourbon :)

Cinder & Smoke
10-05-2001, 01:09 PM
Hiya, Bourbon ~

Sorrie :( to hear ya gotz the runnnz on topa the sore eyeball. We're still crossin paws and sayin Prayers for ya!!

Hope ya getz to feelin better, SOON!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-05-2001, 03:44 PM
Oh Bourbon you are so brave, you have been through so much, thank goodness you have a Mom who loves you so much. We will be thinking about you and saying many prayers for you to feel better and have a sunny beautiful day.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/tE/vG/tb/LO59017.jpg
Miss Daisy, Perry and me

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

Sudilar
10-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Good luck, hope you get better fast!

Daisy's Mom
10-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Aw kisses to sweet Bourbon! Get well soon!

K9karen
10-06-2001, 10:54 PM
Oh sweetie-pie, honey-bun..I'm a-praying real hard you get well soon, poor pup!

Gio
10-08-2001, 06:37 AM
Bourbon is such a brave boy. He's always in my prayers.

Sudilar
10-08-2001, 10:11 AM
How ya doin' today, Bourbon? We're thinking about you and all the other sick furbabies today.

RachelJ
10-08-2001, 12:20 PM
I hope that Bourbon's eye is not bothering him too much. This has been such a long ordeal for him. I can't tell you how much I feel for both you and him. I know you having to watch him being so brave yet not being able offer him much relief is devastating. You are such a good mom and I know Bourbon knows how much you care for him.

tatsxxx11
10-11-2001, 04:38 PM
Hi Bourbon...Just checking in to see how you're doing sweet boy. I know your vet appt. is coming up soon. Hope your eye is not making you too uncomfortable until then. And, how's your tummy doing? Prayers are on there way to sweet Bourbon from Sandra, Cody and Star! And lots of love too, of course! :)

pepper636
10-15-2001, 08:21 AM
It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that I had to send Bourbon to the Bridge on Thursday afternoon, 10/11/2001. He had a seizure early Tuesday morning which left his left side stiff and paralyzed. He rallied on Wednesday, sitting up and eating. But on Thurday, I knew it was time. I spent every minute with him. I miss him so much. I am in a deep, dark place right now.

Logan
10-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Oh, Pepper, I am so very sorry about Bourbon. :( Your heart is breaking and we all grieving for you.

What a wonderful life you gave that boy. He knew he was loved, and that is so important.

Please know that my prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Logan

jackiesdaisy1935
10-15-2001, 10:02 AM
Oh Pepper, what can we say, we took Bourbon to our heart and loved him so much. You were so good to him and made his last days as happy and comfortable as you could and I'm sure he knew that. There is not much one can say to ease the pain, but please know that we are all here for you whenever you feel like talking. He is now at the Rainbow Bridge, happy and whole again playing with all our beloved animals who went before him.
I'm sure they know him and are showing him the way. Again, I am so sorry.
Jackie, Daisy and Perry

RachelJ
10-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Oh, Pepper, That is exactly what happened with my Bailey with the lump which grew near her eye and nose. She went into a seizure, so I had feared that might be what would happen with Bourbon. This has been a hard ordeal for me to follow as it has taken me back five years to when this all happened to Bailey. I know the place you are in right now. I didn't think I could survive losing Bailey but after seeing her suffer so, I found that part was actually worse than the ultimate loss. Please feel free to talk about your feelings here or through an email as you are not only with people who understand, but who care so much. At the time I lost Bailey, I didn't have Pet Talk. I called a Veterinary Grief support line, I wrote letters to my relatives who I am sure didn't comprehend, but I wrote them anyway, and I called people who had known Bailey and cried as I told them what had happened. I don't know if I used much discretion, but it was what I needed to do at the time, and I did it.

Good-bye dear sweet Bourbon. You tried so hard to fight and endure. It wasn't your fault that you couldn't stay longer with your Mom. We knew how much you loved her or you wouldn't have tried so hard. And you knew how much she loves you and will continue to love you. But it is okay now, you don't have to hurt and try any more. We are going to take care of your Mom. We promise. Now you can run and jump and play just like you did when you were a pup. Go find Bailey and Tizzie, they are black cockapoos. They have been there at the Bridge for a few years, so they will show you around. You all wait at the Bridge like good dogs.

pepper636
10-15-2001, 01:49 PM
It is so wonderful to have people who understand what I'm going through. My boyfriend asks what he can do and I say "nothing". He doesn't understand why I walk around like a zombie, because if I don't, then all I do is cry. I hope we make it through this. I envy a couple who are both animal lovers.

I don't know if I've told you that in March of this year I lost a very good friend of mine to melanoma. Then on April 2, my Buster Brown who just turned 16 went to the Bridge on his own. And now Bourbon. I told my boyfriend, when Bourbon got sick, that I wanted to get a puppy if anything happened to Bourbon. After I sent my beloved Pepper to the Bridge right about this time 13 years ago, from cancer too, I found Bourbon and brought him home a week before Thanksgiving. Maybe that is why we had the bond we had, I don't know. I'm just babbling.

purrley
10-15-2001, 01:58 PM
Pepper
Last March after a year of chronic asthma, I had to send my Jessee to Rainbow Bridge. I had her for 12 years and she brought so much happiness to me. She saw me through a whole bunch of stuff in my life, the death of my dad and so much other stuff. I miss her so dearly and I have so many wonderful memories. Yes, I too, even though I had other cats walked around like a zombie for quite a while. Soon wonderful memories of your sweet Bourbon will come up which will be of comfort to you. Till then take care - I'll be thinking of you.

Cinder & Smoke
10-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Dear Pepper ~ I'm so sorry you had to make the decision to ask dear Bourbon to wait for you at the Rainbow Bridge. You both battled his illness with determination and courage. Always remember the happy times and joy that you shared with him.

I took the liberty of opening the topic "Pepper's dear Bourbon crosses Raindow Bridge..." (http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3646&perpage=20&pagenumber=1) to be sure that all you Friends at Pet Talk had a place to offer you their sympathy and support. Please visit to know that we all share you grief at the loss of Bourbon.

I'd also like to remind all of our Pet Talkers that tonight, Monday, is the evening that Pet Lovers throughout the world light Candles to remember all our sick and departed FurKids; now including Bourbon. Visit the PetLoss.com / Rainbow Bridge site (http://www.petloss.com) to learn about "The Monday Pet Loss Candle Ceremony". Scroll down about 4 screens to see the Candle Ceremony section.

Pepper ~ our Candle tonight will be in memory of your dear Bourbon. May he rest in Peace at the Bridge, knowing his that Mom will join him at a later Time.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-15-2001, 02:30 PM
Pepper, you will make it through, it's not very easy but you have shown how strong you are in loving and caring for Bourbon. Some people just don't understand the bond that develops between people and dogs or cats or whatever a person loves. I think sometimes it's stronger than a person to person bond.
Right now it's so painful to think about, but as Purrley says eventually you will think about Bourbon and remember all the wonderful times you had together.
We lost our very first Schnauzer, Kona who was 15 last October. We had to take her to the Vet and put her to sleep and I didn't think I would ever get over it. Everytime I saw another dog I would cry, eventually we started to remember the funny things she would do and we would laugh and how she loved to play. After grieving for a period of time, you will remember Bourbon for the fun things he did and probably how he loved to eat or play. Just give yourself some time.
Jackie

Gio
10-16-2001, 06:26 AM
Pepper, I only just read about sweet Bourbon. He was such a beautiful and brave boy, my heart really goes out to you. I know what you're going through, I went through the same thing again only recently with my cat Gigio and I know how much it hurts. In time you will be able to remember the nice times without wanting to hide from everything and cry your eyes out, in the meantime take care of yourself and remember we are all here for you. You and Bourbon are in my thoughts.
Gio

Cinder & Smoke
10-16-2001, 03:37 PM
Pepper writes...

"I wrote a response at Pet Talk and it didn't post and now I'm having trouble even getting the site open. Please let everyone know I'm hanging in there and I appreciate all of their cards and thoughts? I'll try to get on again tomorrow. I only have the internet at work."

/s/ Diane (aka Pepper, Bourbon's Mom)