PDA

View Full Version : Patting your dog

Aspen and Misty
11-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Do you pat your dog "ruffly" or hard, but nice on the side or back?

I for one am constantly patting my dogs side hard, they don't seem to mind though.

Ashley

Foam
11-01-2003, 09:56 PM
What do you ean pat on the heads, or just like patting them on their backs?
I never pat my dogs on the head. They hate it, and for some reason I hate to do it. So yes, when I pet them I pat them too. :)

binka_nugget
11-02-2003, 12:01 AM
I used to wonder how people could pat their dogs roughly without hurting them..but then I started doing it myself. I guess I'm a hypocrite lol. Kai doesn't seem to mind. I don't do it to kaedyn though..I'm afraid of breaking him in half or something. He's sooo tiny.

cloverfdx
11-02-2003, 01:27 AM
yeah Clover loves being patted hard/roughly. and Penny (JRTx) love to be smacked on the rear end near her tail (not realy hard though) and Theo cannot stand it he loves gentle pats though.

Tonya
11-02-2003, 08:15 AM
I am very rough with Dusty. He loves it. Teddy likes me to be rough with him, but he is so tiny. Roxy on the other hand, is very sensitive. So I don't get rough with her.

cali
11-02-2003, 05:33 PM
I slap then on the flank they like it lol

GoldenRetrLuver
11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Daisy likes it when you pat her hard, she thinks you're playing. :rolleyes: She also likes it when you rub her ears. :) Molly on the otherhand doesn't like to be touched on the face, she prefers to be petted on the back.

wolfsoul
11-02-2003, 07:41 PM
I usually pat Timber very softly and talk calmly. Otherwise she'll go nuts. I even make her keep her head completely still before I pet her. If she gets the chance to lick my arm while I'm petting her it makes her excited, so I tell her to hold still and "wait." It works great.

If I want to play with her, then I'll rough her up lol.

I pet Leather alot harder. I scratch her while I'm petting her, and make sure she really "feels" my hand going down her back. She just loves it.

I love to pat their sides hard because it sounds like their chests are hollow lol. They like it too.

lovemyshiba
11-02-2003, 09:44 PM
I pat Abbey and Jada on the sides all the time.
Riley is so bony, I'm afraid I might break him--he hates it anyway.

And Kito, well, he's a little too, um, sensitive to be patted.

Smilla
11-03-2003, 08:07 AM
I pat Lefty's side a little hard. He seems to like it, and I like the "thump thump" sound it makes. I'm pat his head gently, though I do sort of tug on his ears; he seems to like that as well.

Smilla
11-03-2003, 08:08 AM
My dad really thumps on his Corgis. They seem to love it. They also like it when he grabs their heads and plants a kiss on their snouts.

Samantha Puppy
11-03-2003, 08:50 AM
I stroke her head mostly and only pat it lightly if I'm walking past her. I definitely pat her harder on her sides, but not very hard as I don't think she cares for it much. She much prefers being petted and adored.

ParNone
11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Maddie and Oz seem to enjoy a good pat. Maddie when I'm
scratching her and Oz when we're playing tug. It's always on
the side or tummy though, never the head.

Murph seems to be a lil' bit touch sensitive though, so if I pat him,
I try to remember to do it very lightly. Same thing when I groom
him. Maddie loves for you to really get in there and scratch
away with the brush. You can't brush her too hard. She just
loves it (Major reward for her is brushing. When you say,
"Maddie, It's the Brrrruuussssshhhhh!", she goes nutty with
excitement). But Murph likes you to be very gentle. He doesn't
like any accidental hair pullage while you're brushing. So I
try to be more careful with him on anything that involves touch.

Par...