PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the vet...

RubyMutt
11-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Nothing but good news! :D :D :D :D

Her teeth, ears, eyes, temperature, weight, and heart were all wonderful. She weighed in at 48 lbs (lost 2 lbs since last time). She got her rabies, distemper, and kennel cough vaccines updated. And finally had her nails clipped :)

Her vet, Dr. Zakos, is such a kind woman. Ruby just adores her. She was also the vet for my RB dog, Muffy, and my RB kitty, Ichiro. She's great :)

So I'm happy! :D I know it was just an annual check-up/vaccinations, but I was still a little nervous going in there :rolleyes:

tomkatzid
11-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Great news for Ruby and you!!!! It is nice that Ruby loves her doctor, Lucee on the other hand went to her doc yesterday for her followup booster shot, they had to put a muzzle on her:(, she doesn't like her doctor!!!!!
Anyway congrats to you Ruby:D ..........tom

Snuggles
11-01-2003, 08:58 PM
dogs that love thier vets is always a good thing!!! :-)

Shelteez2
11-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt

So I'm happy! :D I know it was just an annual check-up/vaccinations, but I was still a little nervous going in there :rolleyes:

Do you get annual vacctions on her? If so why?

Just curious :)

Snuggles
11-01-2003, 09:11 PM
dogs should have vaccinations every couple years. we have vaccination cards that have the date we did them, and the suggested time we should do it again. You hear about all these deseases running around, and some are spread fast by animals. I dunno, I thought most people vaccinated their dogs.

Moose
11-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Such good news! I'm glad gorgeous Ruby is a-okay! :)

Shelteez2
11-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Snuggles
dogs should have vaccinations every couple years. we have vaccination cards that have the date we did them, and the suggested time we should do it again. You hear about all these deseases running around, and some are spread fast by animals. I dunno, I thought most people vaccinated their dogs.

Oh most people do vaccinate their dogs. The trouble is a lot of people vaccinate their dogs every year. Studies are coming out that yearly vaccines may in fact be detrimental to a dog's health. A well known vet school in the states recommends get vaccines every 3 years.

Colorado State University's Small Animal Vaccination Protocol (http://www.vth.colostate.edu/vth/savp2.html)

Edited to add a few more links:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/vaccine-study.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/vaccines.html

http://www.simplyschnauzer.net/sshnhealth.html#Vaccinations

RubyMutt
11-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Ruby now has to get her rabies & distemper shots only once every three years (it used to be every year, but the vaccine changed). She get's her kennel cough twice a year now (that used to be only once a year). She goes to dog parks a lot so we're really careful about keeping her shots up-to-date. I'm sure the dogs there are healthy, I just don't want to take chances.

wolf_Q
11-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Glad Ruby's vet visit went ok and she's nice and healthy! :D

Nebo had several sets of shots as a puppy, the last being the set with the rabies....I had them done again this year. The first rabies is only a 1-year, and I wanted proof of all his shots as we were leaving to go on a trip. I want him to be current on shots, as I work at a grooming salon and bring him often, and he also visits the dog park. I'm not sure what my vet recommends for the shots when the dog is over a year old, how often, etc. I'll have to ask.

anna_66
11-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Glad everything was fine:D

Twisterdog
11-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Ruby now has to get her rabies & distemper shots only once every three years (it used to be every year, but the vaccine changed). She get's her kennel cough twice a year now (that used to be only once a year).

That sounds about right.

You can also do something called titer value testing. This is a blood test that measures the amount of resistance to certain diseases in the dog's bloodstream. If the titer values are ok, then there is no need to revaccinate for that disease. If they are low, then the dog needs a booster shot. Titer testing is more expensive than vaccinations, but if you can afford it, it is the best way to go.

Shelteez2 is right, annual vaccination after puppyhood are not necessary and often cause more harm than good. Many studies have shown increases cancer rates and lowered auto-immune function in dogs vaccinated annually, especially dogs that that are older.

It's just like us ... we were vaccinated for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, etc. as children ... we don't have to keep getting annual booster shots every year as adults.

The bordatella vaccination is like a human flu shot, however. The airborne pathogens in the "flu" or "bordatella" are actually comprised of many different viral and bacterial strains, which change and mutate constantly. Vaccination at least once a year is best for bordatella.

Also, many vets recommend only getting one vaccination at a time, not all of them on the same day. This allows the immune system to better process the information, and create more antibodies.

lovemyshiba
11-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear Ruby is healthy!!!!

3 of mine just had their shots, and it was just what twisterdog said--Bortadella, and a 3 year rabies shot. When Riley is due in April, I'm sure he will get the 3 year rabies shot as well.

tomkatzid
11-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Ruby,
Nina is very interested in your 2 pound weight loss. She knows you have a burger or two. She has been asking for one ever since she knew you got them. Last night I heard her telling the Daddy, "But Daddy, it makes you 'loose' weight."
Glad all went well at the white coats for you Ruby girl:D
Katz

Shelteez2
11-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Ruby now has to get her rabies & distemper shots only once every three years (it used to be every year, but the vaccine changed). She get's her kennel cough twice a year now (that used to be only once a year). She goes to dog parks a lot so we're really careful about keeping her shots up-to-date. I'm sure the dogs there are healthy, I just don't want to take chances.

That's good *S*

Just an interesting tidbit for you. Did you know that the one year and the three year rabbies vaccine are one and the same? They just have different labels.

I would never get the bortadella vaccine for my dogs, but that's just me. There are many strains of kennel cough and the vaccine only protects against a few of them. Kennel cough is only dangerous to the very old, and the very young. Basically it is like us getting a cold. A few days of antibiotics and we're back to normal. I've known just as many dogs that have recieved the bortadella vaccine and come down with kennel cough as I know dogs that have never received the vaccine and have never come down with it.

This year I got my dogs titered for their parvo and distemper. Their levels were very high for both. Next year I'll get them titered for rabies. I imagine they'll have high levels for that as well. Irregardless they won't be getting anymore vaccines :)

stacwase
11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
I get the bordatella vaccine every year for my dogs, because the kennels won't board them if they don't have it. I didn't realize there were several strains!

The rabies/distemper is every 3 years for us.

Giardia is yearly - and I can't remember how often we get the lime vaccine.

Logan
11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
We do them all, every year, because that is what our vet suggests, and we have never had any bad side effects as a result. I have stopped the Bordetella immunizations because our dogs are never boarded anymore and he said it was unnecessary if they are always at home.

I'm glad Ruby had such a good visit!! Isn't it wonderful to report good news??? :)

tatsxxx11
11-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Good job, Ruby girl!!:D Isn't it great when you love your vet and your vet loves you!!:) My girls get their rabies every 3 years (it's the LAW here) and their DPL every year. I've discussed with my vet the ongoing debate re: the necessity of certain annual vaccinations. He said that titering is an option (though as the article below states, results are not always reliable) and he strongly believes in taking each "case," individually, i.e. taking into consideration, the dog/cat's "age, health, environment and lifestyle."

Many of the reported cases of tumors resulting from vaccinations have been attributed to the drug companies over use of the adjuvant agent added to the drug to increase the effectiveness of the vaccine. Dr. Paul menitioned this to me last year and the article below cites that as a causative factor also. Different companies vary in the amount of adjuvant they add to their vaccination sols. and my vet uses only those with the lowest percentage.

I insist that my dog's are vaccinated for leptospirosis as this has been the cause of several dog's deaths here on rural Cape Cod. They drink from puddles and pools and streams contamainated by urine from wild animals. A newly improved, safer and more effective form of the "lepto" vaccine has been developed in the past few years. I had until recently vaccinated against Lyme disease as well, although it was deemed to be only perhaps, 50% effective. My vet says the newer vaccine now is up to 80% effective. But, he also mentioned that using Advantix (as opposed to Frontline) is actually as effective as the vaccine, so I skipped the Lyme vaccine this year. I only recently started vaccinating for kennel cough. Although they have never been kenneled, all kennels here require it to have been administered 10 days prior to boarding (I would board at my vet's) and in case of an emergency, this would be my only option. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a live in dog sitter. It is true that the cornovirus is constantly mutating (as are many human viruses) and vaccinating does not assure the dog's immunity. But it does help to descrease the liklihood of infection and the degree of severity.

This is a GREAT article ( with lots of info. from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association) on the pros and cons of vaccinating your pet! It gives equal "time" to both sides of the issue!:)

Pros and Cons of Annual Vaccinations (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/vacci01.html)

Shelteez2
11-03-2003, 04:28 PM
A few more links:

This one is on some common myths surrounding vaccines:
http://members.aol.com/abywood/www/vac_myth.htm

And this one is on the duration of immunity:
http://critterfixer.com/pages/petcare_duration_immunity.asp

tatsxxx11
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the links, Shelteez!!:) (Bedtime reading;))

Shelteez2
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Thanks for the links, Shelteez!!:) (Bedtime reading;))

You're welcome :)
I posted some other ones earlier in this thread as well, if you're interested.