PDA

View Full Version : HoW To Teach A Cat Their Names

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 04:50 PM
i HAVE TWO CATS, OREO AND COCOA. dOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE THEM LEARN AND RESPOND TO THEIR NAMES. iTS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR AND IM GETTING FRUSTRATED:mad: :mad:
PLEASE I NEED SOME HELP

slick
11-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Well, I don't know how true this is but I was always told that if you have more than 1 pet then their names should not sound similar such as Ed and Ted, or Mo and Joe. Perhaps they are getting confused with the "O" sound. Just a thought.

Max and Speckles already came with their names and they do respond to them.

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks. But their names have already been chosen is their any other advise?:)

jenluckenbach
11-01-2003, 06:10 PM
I believe that some will learn and others will not. But one of the best things (IMO) to do is simply to repeat their name over and over again, even to the point of sounding silly. Do this one on one, do not try to do both at the same time. And touch, pet, look at them, give them treats (etc.) at the same time as repeating their names.

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 06:12 PM
THANK YOU

slick
11-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Yes, listen to Auntie Jen. She is one of our experienced Cat Ladies who always has good advice for everyone.:) :)

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I FIGURE YOU WOULD KNOW YOU HAVE A LOT OF BEAUTIFUL CATS.

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 06:20 PM
JEN IS BIDDY A TUXEDO CAT?

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 06:23 PM
PEOPLE COME AND GO, BUT AN ANIMALS LOVE SATAYS FOREVER

catcrazylady
11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I don't know if it will work for you but all nine of mine know their name and come when called (if they want to!) Whenever we got a new cat I would call their name when they walked into the room. I would excitedly say their name over and over while I went to greet them. I would pet them and love on them at the same time. That way they associated their names with pleasure. I truly make a fool out myself during this time! A cat walks into a room and I act like I have just seen a long lost friend!!
example: Oh PETE! How are you PETE. Oh mama loves PETE. Your my handsome PETE.
Isn't that gross??? I keep that up for as long as they tolerate it and the next time I see them...here we go again!! It's worked for me. Good luck!!
Your kitties are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! whether they learn their names or not!!!;) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 07:18 PM
yOUR CATS ARE PRETTY TOO. AND THANKS FOR THE ADVISE HOPE TO TALK TO YOU LATER

Catboy123
11-01-2003, 07:50 PM
ONE OF MY CATS IS ALWAYS AFRAID AND THEY RUN AWAY FROM ME. IS THEIR ANYTHING I CAN TO DO CHANGE THAT?

jenluckenbach
11-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Catboy123
ONE OF MY CATS IS ALWAYS AFRAID AND THEY RUN AWAY FROM ME. IS THEIR ANYTHING I CAN TO DO CHANGE THAT?
It is possible to change that, but it will take a LOT of time and patience. You need to build trust and that comes in THEIR time, not yours.
Hand feeding them is a good trick. The more tempting the treat, the more likely for her to come to you. Make sure to do it in a room alone, without the other cat, so he does not interfere. And get her used to you being the one who supplies her dinner. Try not to free feed, then offer her her dinner at a set time each day (twice a day) and sooner or later you will be able to touch her as she comes to her bowl.
Don't pursue her when she runs and hides, let her come to you even if that takes a long time. You can go to pet her, what I mean is don't drag her out from a hiding place or something like that. She will only fear you more.
Find something else she likes, a toy she can't resist and then play with her. If you can find a toy on a pole that she really likes, use it to make her interact with you. Sit on the floor (the lower you are to the ground the less threatening that you are).

Hope this helps some.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-02-2003, 05:26 AM
Jen you are such a genius!

How about we start a new reality TV show - the cameras can follow you around as you travel around and solve cat problems (Of course you wouldn't be able to travel too far, with your own precious furkids waiting at home for you;) )

rosethecopycat
11-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Sheer repitition!

I sometimes whisper my cat's name slowly to them while they fall asleep.

I think they react to the first consonent sound in the name. So, I have a Snowy and I would avoid other S names, such as Silky.

All mine know their names, even the fosters get it in a few weeks.

Rose

p.s. Not to be critical but, my husband tells me that typing in all caps is like yelling. Has anyone ever heard this? When I saw your post, I thought you were very angry (plus the red faces) that your cats didn't know their names, and were yelling about it!
:p :eek:

catmandu
11-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Its interesting , but Jen has the right idea ! I simply call them by thier names and especially whem they get trats! Joey , Michael , BoBo , Moose and Sam respond to thier names the best , as do the others on occasion. Repititon!

Kitty talker9203
11-02-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure how to help you catboy. My kittys just some how already know there names.But some times if I need them to come and eat I would try to find there favorite food And then I would call thier name. And after a while they will understand that thats thier name and when they here those words they know that they are gonna get thier favorite food.darkblue :)

jenluckenbach
11-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Not to be critical but, my husband tells me that typing in all caps is like yelling. Has anyone ever heard this?
I can tell you from personal experience that when I received an answer to a personal e-mail and it was all in capital letters, I was CERTAIN that the person was yelling at me. later I read that is actually IS the internet version of YELLING. So I'd be a little careful about that in posting if you do not wish to be misunderstood.