PDA

View Full Version : Importance of microchipping & licensing your pets.

Kfamr
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
I saw this story in the newspaper just now, and I decided to look on the newspaper's website, so I could post it.

I think I remember a while back, how some people said that they've never got their dog microchipped or got license for them..

It's about a dog, but I figured i'd post it here since it's important that EVERYONE read it.

If you click on the following link, it shows a photo of the dog plus it's route.
Taken from: SPtimes.com (http://sptimes.com/2003/11/01/Southpinellas/Lost_in_Mississippi__.shtml)

Lost in Mississippi, found in Florida
A microchip identifies a Lhasa apso mix who likes to sneak out and had disappeared from her Southern home.
By CURTIS KRUEGER, Times Staff Writer
Published November 1, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Tampa Bay's 10]

A woman found Abbie at a rest stop near I-10 and brought her home to St. Petersburg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - For the past week, 10-year-old Austin Watson of Brandon, Miss., has added this line to family's nightly supper prayer:

Please, Lord, bring Abbie home to me.

The child's father, Dr. Mike Watson, a veterinarian, knew his family of five might never see the dog again.

Abbie, a Lhasa apso mix who likes to sneak out, had disappeared from the Watsons' house.

Mike Watson knew 12-year-old Abbie wouldn't survive long on her own; she had arthritis, deafness, cataracts, chronic kidney disease and "a haircut that wasn't done very well."

He prepared his son for the worst, saying, "Now Austin, you understand that God may have different plans for Abbie."

Such as a trip to Florida.

Pinellas County Animal Services called Watson on Thursday with the happy news that Abbie had been found in Florida, turned in by a woman from St. Petersburg. Workers identified the dog using a tiny computer chip that Watson himself had implanted in her.

"You supposedly hear about things like this happening, but to actually live it is unbelievable," Watson said.

How did Abbie trek to the Sunshine State?

"She's the only one who knows," says Greg Andrews, operations manager for Animal Services.

Jeraldine Wall can account for part of the journey.

She was driving Sunday from Missouri to her home in St. Petersburg when she turned off at a rest stop on Interstate 75, just south of Interstate 10, and saw the 11-pound dog. She said the dog had no tags, so she had no way of knowing Abbie already was roughly 550 miles from home.

Wall said she approached a security guard at the rest stop and "he told me nobody wanted the dog and I didn't want it to get hit by a car . . . it was such a sweet little dog and I've got a big heart and I can't see a dog get hurt."

But after she brought the dog to St. Petersburg, it stopped eating, and Wall got worried. She took her to Animal Services, where the workers discovered her chip. Abbie and the Watsons were identified through a registry of dogs with implanted computer chips.

Wall said she was "very, very, happy, because I know if it was my dog, as well-behaved as it was, I would want her back."

Dr. Kenny Mitchell, Animal Services director, said it's an example of how effective the technology can be, especially if people keep updated information on the registry.

"We were shocked, but pleased that we were able to make a success story out of it," Mitchell said.

On Friday, Abbie boarded an airplane at Tampa International Airport to fly back to Mississippi. Watson is paying the $225 to $250 to have her shipped back to Mississippi and reunited with himself, his wife Laurie, sons Austin, Eric and Joseph and their menagerie of four more dogs, assorted horses, hamsters, fish and other pets.

For Austin and his older brother Eric, trick-or-treating on Friday was put on hold until they could get to the airport in nearby Jackson to pick up Abbie.

"I know that Abbie's getting to be a senior citizen," Watson said, "but she never discussed with me retiring to Florida."

Kfamr
11-01-2003, 06:55 PM
*bump*

Aspen and Misty
11-01-2003, 07:15 PM
AWWWWWWWW!!!!

I'm so glad Nomie is chipped ::hugs her::

Ash

Kfamr
11-06-2003, 02:15 PM
*Bump*

GoldenRetrLuver
11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
WOW, what a story!!
Both of mine have licenses, and Daisy has a microchip. We plan to get one for Molly soon. :)

wolfsoul
11-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I saw that story on the news because the woman who found the dog was travelling from Kelowna. :D

isis
11-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Wow, what a dog!! I'm so glad that nice ladie found her. That's like amazing!!

Both of my dogs have tags. Sully walks off often. We never take his old tags off, so we can hear him when we call for him.:p

Kater
11-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Wonderful news for Abbie! What a cutie pie she is!

When I volunteered at the Hawaiian Humane Society I know that tags and microchips were often the reason we could quickly return pets to their owners!

One time some people had an outdoor cat who somehow hitched a ride on their truck and ended up across the island! If not for her tags, a local feeding strays would not have recognized her as being owned! This adventure only took her maybe 10 miles from home, not 550! Abbie is so very lucky!

Dr. Kenny Mitchell, Animal Services director, said it's an example of how effective the technology can be, especially if people keep updated information on the registry.
It is really important to keep the information in your microchip up to date! It's one of those things you have to remember to do when you move or change your cell phone #, etc. I remember we would get so many cats or dogs in with outdated microchip information and it was so frustrating trying to find their owners! Sometimes it was next to impossible! It totally defeats the purpose if you don't update the contact information!!!

Usually all that is involved to update is filling out a slip of paper with all the information that is kept on the microchip (breed, age, color, address, phone, etc.) and then turning that in to someone who has access to update the records. Then the next time you are the vet, ask them to scan the microchip and take a look at the information to make sure it has indeed been updated!