PDA

View Full Version : Does my lab have hip displacment?

whatever_web
07-15-2001, 12:01 PM
I have a 3 year old Black Lab. She is very sweet and smart. She loves playing ball. She runs sideways when she runs. I have heard that hip displacment is hereditary in labs. Is it? She has got hit by a car in the front, right leg, but I doubt that has anything to do w/ that. She also has arthritis. It is hard for her to even get up on a bed anymore. Please help! :confused:

Albea
07-15-2001, 01:31 PM
Tabitha, I'm so sorry to hear your pup is in pain. However, the only person that can help you is your vet. He/she will want to take X rays to find out what the problem is. He can also give you some medication for arthritis, there are many now that work very well.
Unfortunately :(, it's true that hip dysplasia is common in Labs and Golden Retrievers. Please get some help as soon as possible, so she does not have to suffer.

tatsxxx11
07-15-2001, 02:06 PM
Hi Tabitha! I have a lab too. Her name is Star and she is 2 1/2 y/o. Yes, hip dysplasia is a common disease in many large breed dogs. My husky/shep Cody was diagnosed this year. Contrary to common belief, it is not a disease of older, but rather younger dogs, diagnosed usually by age 3. The condition itself leads to the joint becoming severely arthritic. There are many treatments, medical and surgical available to your dog. First get her diagnosed by your vet and discuss the options. My vet recommends starting with less aggressive medical treatment, including mild exercise, weight loss, glucosamine supplements, and other anti-inflammatory medications. He is a big supporter of surgical treatment for young, otherwise healthy dogs like your lab. The surgery has become rather common practice and is considered quite safe with excellent results. A young, active, atheltic breed of dog like yours should have every chance at a full and active life. Please do check with your vet! What's your dog's name? Black, yellow, chocolate? Tell her Star says Hi!! You can check out Star and her friends at..
http://community.webshots.com/user/tatsxxx11 :)

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

whatever_web
07-15-2001, 02:33 PM
:) My Black Lab's name is Black Velvet. She is a sweetie. I also have a Yellow Lab and his name is Slim Shady. Velvet is almost 3 and Slim is about 1/2 year. Velvet wants to always play and Slim always want to be loved on. :)

tatsxxx11
07-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Hugs to Velvet (what a pretty name!) and Shady! And Tabitha, do get her hips checked asap!! Keep us updated! Sandra

whatever_web
07-16-2001, 02:27 PM
I got her checked yesterday. She received some pills. Hhopefully it will help her hips and her arthritis. :)

KYS
07-16-2001, 11:06 PM
Tabitha,
I am glad you had her checked out.
Hopefully the pills will keep her
comfortable and her arthritis will not
get any worse. :(

My Sheba has arthritis on her spine.
When it acts up, I give her a pill and try to keep her quiet.

Albea and Tat, that was wonderful advise,
Tat, I also checked out your web page.
You have a beautiful back yard and I wish
I was in that pool too.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: KYS ]

tatsxxx11
07-17-2001, 05:51 AM
Pool "entry" is permitted only with Star's OK!! :D Anytime you're up my way, come on over!!!!

Tabitha, glad to hear that Velvet is starting her medication. Hope she starts to feel better very soon!

whatever_web
07-17-2001, 08:35 AM
She is showing some improvment, but she is still hurtung. I can tell. :(

Albea
07-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Tabitha:
It's so good to know that Velvet is feeling better. It will take some time for the pills to work, but at least now you know what the problem is. Big hug from me, I know myself everything about arthritis and how painful it can be.

Daisy's Mom
07-18-2001, 12:56 AM
Hugs and kisses to Velvet! I hope you feel better soon, sweetie!