PDA

View Full Version : Dog meat in Korea!

CamCamPup33
10-31-2003, 11:21 AM
I have never really thought about it before but after some resarch:::: Dog meat is considered a delicacy in South Korea, China and Philippines. Dogs are being sold in markets for human consumption. They are kept in filthy animal farms where they are crammed in cages not even able to move. At the markets they are hung by the back of their necks, beaten for up to an hour and then skinned alive at the time of purchase. The reason why they're beaten first is to tenderize the meat which is thought to give men verility. They suffer for hours before finally having their throats slit. Other dogs tremble in fear as they watch their fellow friends being tortured and killed.

Poor dogs!
Warning graphics photos

Here is one of the sites i got info from (http://www.koreananimals.org/dogs.htm)

And this one also (http://www.admh.org/data/gallery1.htm)

Desert Arabian
10-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Yep, I have heard all about that. :( In France, their delicacy is horses. :( :( :( :( I am not even going to go into how they slaughter them, it so so sick you will want to throw up. :( :( :(

popcornbird
10-31-2003, 11:54 AM
EWWW EWWWW EWWWWWWW! I've heard of that, and my dad's old barber, who's a Korean, told my dad he ALWAYS ate dogs when he was in Korea and SO misses eating them! :eek:

I never knew that about horses. I don't think horses are really animals that should be eaten, however, I find eating a dog FAR more disgusting! :eek: Bleh!

gini
10-31-2003, 11:58 AM
If I were to respond to this thread I would make myself upset all day.

Let me just say that part of that culture has been brought over to the United States.

It is against the law here - however, I know for a fact that the law is ignored.

It makes me ill.

Soledad
10-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Will you get just as upset about your Thanksgiving turkey or your Easter ham?

It's just cultural. While *I* could not/would not eat a dog, I eat plenty of other animals, so why judge?

The problem I have is that they are abused and inhumanely slaughtered, but that happens ALL the time in our own country.

popcornbird
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Will you get just as upset about your Thanksgiving turkey or your Easter ham?

I just find eating the meat of a carnivore animal.........any carnivore animal disgusting. I mean, not every animal is the type you can eat. I just find it sickening. :o:o That's why I find eating dogs far more disgusting than eating horses. I don't know........that's just how I feel. :confused:

Soledad
10-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Yes, but I don't think that's why this was posted. It was posted because we regard dogs as pets, not food. I can see your point.

CamCamPup33
10-31-2003, 12:31 PM
it just upsets me to see people eat dogs.. I know cattle is also eatten but, some people are very used to it and not bothered by it.. And i am for one bothered by eating any animal.. :(

Soledad
10-31-2003, 12:47 PM
So you're a strict vegetarian?

CamCamPup33
10-31-2003, 01:06 PM
No.. *Occasionally* I eat meat.. I *DO NOT* eat meat much..

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 02:25 PM
That's how eddie was covered in mustard.....

I wanted a hot dog.

I do not condemn or crucify people for what they eat.
After all, we can go to New Dehli.....DEHLI ,NOT DELI....
and watch Ronald Mc Donald's stock wander the streets.

As distasteful, pun intended, as this seems, there seems to be injustices that equal eating dogs on this side of the ocean.

As we see the cruelty done to these poor animals think of the opposite thought.

"STUPID AMERICANS, what a waste of a meal......"

And any animal dumb enough to drown itself when it rains is more than welcome on my thanksgiving table.

Trust me,

Some of the stuff we look at as being cruel and unjust, is a just way of life somewhere else on the planet.

And while I do not condone eating Spotty or Puff, Why is it o.k.
for us to jump all over Koreans for their long time eating habits and customs???

Or should we invade Korea, again, and end it once and for all?

This is another topic that will not be solved by me or any other person on the site.

that's why it's called a Custom...people have done it for so long they are accustomed to it.

Soledad
10-31-2003, 02:42 PM
We should really stop agreeing so much, RICHARD.:eek: :p

CamCamPup33
10-31-2003, 02:46 PM
This is the dog house where you can post about things people may see as bad and may see as good.. So i want to hear everyones opionion.. Everyone is welcome to have there own.. And Richard you made several good points, that are so true..

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 02:54 PM
We should really stop agreeing so much, RICHARD.:eek: :p

While I do find the concept of DOG FOOD in those countries as
well as the way the animals are prepared from consumption
beyond my ability to partake in such a meal, I can see where they are coming from.

I choose to ignore that 'custom' because my eating habits would disgust someone from another cultures/religions-Islam, Hindus and Popeye's chicken.

It's one of those uncomfortable facts of life that make me uneasy...yet I choose the blinders as a way to deal with the subject.

The 'Horse fights' in Asia are far more disgusting to me because those animals are kept, trained and made to fight each other..
Animals as entertainment is far more foul, evil and just plain barbaric.......Ask Roy....

Don't feel too comfortable standing shoulder to shoulder with me..
I eat meat.

Soledad
10-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Don't feel too comfortable standing shoulder to shoulder with me..
I eat meat.

So do I.:p

RubyMutt
10-31-2003, 03:08 PM
I have to agree with Soledad and Richard...

I would NEVER eat a dog, the thought sickens me. However, people in other countries probably feel the same way when they see us eating cattle or other animals. As for the way those poor dogs are treated, sadly, that's how many of the animals used for meat in this country are treated :(

Tonya
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
I sure wish that I didn't look at those pictures. I am very upset right now. It is totally true...my husband was stationed in Korea when he was in the Air Force. I try not to think about it.

CamCamPup33
10-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I sure wish that I didn't look at those pictures. I am very upset right now. It is totally true...my husband was stationed in Korea when he was in the Air Force. I try not to think about it.

i know.. they are so graphic.. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
10-31-2003, 07:10 PM
That's sick.
I don't eat much meat...but, eating dog?? That just doesn't sound right in my opinion...:eek:
Poor doggies. :(

Soledad
10-31-2003, 07:13 PM
You have a cockatiel and you (probably) eat chicken.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-31-2003, 07:14 PM
*not going to read it, not going to look.*

Soledad
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
I know, there was no way I was going to look at those links. I don't need to see that.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-31-2003, 07:17 PM

No, I hardly eat chicken. I'll have it every once in a while, but like I said, I'm not a big meat eater.

popcornbird
10-31-2003, 08:28 PM

Cockatiels and chickens are totally different animals! Its like comparing a snake to a frog.........both reptiles, yet totally different animals. Chickens don't compare to parrots in anyway, except that they are both feathered and a species of birds.......but they are totally different in the *food* sense. I used to have chickens..........I still ate chicken. I would NEVER EVER EVER eat a cockatiel or any sort of parrot though. They aren't *food* animals. Besides, what meat does a cockatiel have on its body? ;) LOL

Yeah I know its their culture and all, but I really see eating dog meat..............as not right. :(

zanzanfergie
10-31-2003, 11:09 PM
I accept that this happens. Like Soledad, the part that upsets me is the way in which they suffer as they die.

The dog butchers actively torture the animals in order to "tenderize" the meat as Camcampup said. The extra adrenalin rush the animal experiences as it is beaten is thought to make the meat more delectable - therefore, the more the animal suffered as it died, the tastier the meat will be.

What also bothers me is the fact that the dogs are not always bred to be slaughtered, as cattle and sheep are. Strays are often taken off the streets, and sometimes pets are even stolen from backyards and never seen again.

Nevertheless, the eating of dogs is part of their culture and it has to be accepted. But there should be laws to minimize the suffering and pain the animals endure as they die, IMO.

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 11:14 PM
what about the horse fighting??

zanzanfergie
10-31-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Cockatiels and chickens are totally different animals! Its like comparing a snake to a frog.........both reptiles, yet totally different animals.
Frogs aren't reptiles, are they? I thought they were amphibians. Sorry to be pedantic. ;)

popcornbird
10-31-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
Frogs aren't reptiles, are they? I thought they were amphibians. Sorry to be pedantic. ;)

UGH silly me! But of course they are! I meant to say turtles vs. snakes....NOT frogs! :eek: Don't know why on EARTH I typed frogs! :eek: Sorry for my silly mistake! :o :o

zanzanfergie
10-31-2003, 11:27 PM
UGH silly me! But of course they are! I meant to say turtles vs. snakes....NOT frogs! :eek: Don't know why on EARTH I typed frogs! :eek: Sorry for my silly mistake! :o :o
LOL. Maybe you were thinking of frog legs, since they kind of look like chicken drumsticks. ;)

Twisterdog
11-01-2003, 12:07 AM
As much as I LOVE dogs, I have to agree with Richard and Soledad.

We eat cows, sheep, chickens and pigs. We don't eat goats or horses. Why? Seems to be an arbitary "rule" to me.

In other places, goats, cats, dogs, monkeys and horses are routinely eaten. Who are we to say that eating a cow is ok, but eating a horse is not? By saying, "Eat this, don't eat this." one is effectively saying, "My culture is right, and yours is wrong." How arrogant and absurd. Eating cow is an abhorrant sin to Hindus. Yet we slaughter millions of cows, and none too humanely I might add. Who is right? Who is wrong?

I have no issue with eating meat. I personally wouldn't eat a monkey or a dog, but I'm certainly not going to demean someone who does. I DO, however, have an issue with killing an animal - be it a cow in the USA, a dog in Korea, or a guinea pig in Peru - for food in an inhumane manner. I think it is the LEAST we can do, as the top of the global foodchain, to at least provide a quick and merciful death to our meals, no matter what they may be.

Cockatiels and chickens are totally different animals! ... Chickens don't compare to parrots in anyway, except that they are both feathered and a species of birds.......but they are totally different in the *food* sense.

That makes no logical sense. They are totally different ... except for the fact that they are both birds. Ummm, ok. As to the "food" sense, again, that is cultural. Your "food sense" says it's ok to eat a chicken, and we have lots of chickens in the USA. A South American native's "food sense" says it's ok to eat a macaw, and they have lots of macaws in South America. What makes you right and him wrong?

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

That makes no logical sense. They are totally different ... except for the fact that they are both birds. Ummm, ok. As to the "food" sense, again, that is cultural. Your "food sense" says it's ok to eat a chicken, and we have lots of chickens in the USA. A South American native's "food sense" says it's ok to eat a macaw, and they have lots of macaws in South America. What makes you right and him wrong?

That's not what I was saying. Soledad told Julie that she has a cockatiel, yet she eats chicken.................I was saying they're not the same thing, regarding to that statement. :p

I know its their culture, so I can't say they're doing wrong. Its just what they're used to. It seems wrong to us because we are not used to it.

As for us not eating goat.........goat is actually eaten a lot in the US! I eat goat a lot actually...........and its available in many stores around here.

CathyBogart
11-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Our cultural boundaries in the US are so much stricter in some ways than other countries. Some of the comments here reminded me of an article regarding a teacher who was going to feed two puppies that were doomed at the HS to his snakes. There was a HUGE to-do, because in this country people actually believe that the life of a dog is more valuable than that of, say a rabbit.

Does a chicken not feel the same pain as a parrot? Is their life any less valuable to them? Is a dog's life really any more valuable than a cow's? I don't think so. Unfortunately, society places higher value on the lives of some animals than others, so in cases like this we see a knee-jerk emotoinal reaction from most people.

Does this mean I would eat dog? Probably not. I have also, on some level, fallen into this trap. (Not to mention predatory animals are poor food sources, but that's irrelevant right now) However, I would not scorn or be disgusted with anyone else for doing so.

Meh, sorry to ramble...

mahayana
11-01-2003, 07:21 AM
We have several topics going in this thread: eating dogs, animal rights, cultural diversity, vegetarianism...

Is it ok if I add a biological perspective?

Humans are omnivores, with both canine and grinding teeth. We have 99% the same DNA as chimps. What is says in the Bible about every living thing (with a few poisonous exceptions) being food for us, is true.

We kill (or hire others to kill) basically everything we eat, be it plant or animal. With fresh produce our digestive system kills the individual cells, incorporates their life into our own.

In a deep and true sense, all animal life depends on plant life,and all life is a manifestation of solar energy.

I have been an ethical vegetarian, and have also killed fish, chickens, rabbits and goats for food (at different times in my life). From a biological point of view, most of our human existence was without fire, and we are probably best adapted to eating raw foods and bugs, hah.

Just a thought......

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 09:27 AM
In other places, goats, cats, dogs, monkeys and horses are routinely eaten. Who are we to say that eating a cow is ok, but eating a horse is not? By saying, "Eat this, don't eat this." one is effectively saying, "My culture is right, and yours is wrong." How arrogant and absurd. Eating cow is an abhorrant sin to Hindus. Yet we slaughter millions of cows, and none too humanely I might add. Who is right? Who is wrong?

Dogs here are considered 'pets' to live in the house, as pets.. Cattle is raised to be killed for food.. Thats how i have always known it.. I have never questioned it becuase i really never thought about killing dogs to eat them or to kill cat for food or even killing goats, cows ect.. That doesnt mean any of us are saying "My culture is right, Yours is wrong" Its a way of life that wont change, i know that.. But still i couldnt imagine ever ever doing anything like that to cami, let alone any dog.. Or even cattle..

dukedogsmom
11-01-2003, 10:14 AM
I couldn't go to the sites, was afraid of what I'd see. I saw a little bit of this on a Humane Society program on TLC one time and it made me sick. I hope these heathens get what they deserve for doing this. May the all rott in hell. And the horses, I learned a lot are stolen from U.S. and are never recovered. It's horrible. That would be one reason I refuse to go to France. I don't want to support them in any way at all.

CathyBogart
11-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I hope these heathens get what they deserve for doing this. May the all rott in hell.

And what we do in the US to cattle raised for food is any better?

mahayana
11-01-2003, 10:52 AM
There would be a lot more vegetarians if people ever visited a slaughterhoue (meat packing plant), or had to kill the cows pigs chickens themselves.

Soledad
11-01-2003, 11:09 AM
I hope these heathens get what they deserve for doing this. May the all rott in hell.

I'm sure there are plenty Hindus out there thinking the same thing about you.:rolleyes:

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm sure there are plenty Hindus out there thinking the same thing about you.:rolleyes:

Not only are we eating an animal...............for a Hindu, we're eating their gods! :o :o

luckies4me
11-01-2003, 12:12 PM
As much as I LOVE dogs, I have to agree with Richard and Soledad.

We eat cows, sheep, chickens and pigs. We don't eat goats or horses. Why? Seems to be an arbitary "rule" to me.

I for one eat goats. Not reguarly but while growing up it was very routine for my brother and sisters father to bring home a young goat or pig and butcher it. I LOVE goat meat. It's the best tasting meat in my opinion. I hate beef, besides corn beef, rarely eat pork and never eat sheep, eat fish, chicken and turkey more often. I prefer white meat, it's healthier. :p Although like I said, goat is just fantastic, especially in stew like Menudo. YUM! I also love Duck, I think that is my favorite meat, duck! :D

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I for one eat goats.

Me too! We eat goat pretty often...........either its goat or sheep. Very rarely do we eat beef. Chicken and fish is what we eat most though. I am *not* a fish person, but my mom makes it more than any other meat because its the healthiest of them all. :o But I *love* chicken..........sheep, really depends on the animal, same with goat. If you get a good quality animal, the meat is usually very tender and yummy..........but if it turns out bad, then bleh. :o I hate the parts that are stringy. :p He he he. But goat is really good.......I find its meat similar to sheep meat. It has a slightly different flavor, but its very similar.

luckies4me
11-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
There would be a lot more vegetarians if people ever visited a slaughterhoue (meat packing plant), or had to kill the cows pigs chickens themselves.

I for one could kill my own meat, a cow probably not as I don't eat them anyway, but a chicken or turkey I can and plan to when I get a bigger place and can raise my own meat. The way I would do it would be far less painful for the animal, and it would have known a GREAT life before sitting there on my plate.

All the meat I eat, I know exactly where it comes from. In fact I routinely go feed it on occasion....except maybe fish.

luckies4me
11-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Me too! We eat goat pretty often...........either its goat or sheep. Very rarely do we eat beef. Chicken and fish is what we eat most though. I am *not* a fish person, but my mom makes it more than any other meat because its the healthiest of them all. :o But I *love* chicken..........sheep, really depends on the animal, same with goat. If you get a good quality animal, the meat is usually very tender and yummy..........but if it turns out bad, then bleh. :o I hate the parts that are stringy. :p He he he. But goat is really good.......I find its meat similar to sheep meat. It has a slightly different flavor, but its very similar.

Hehe that's funny because I like it when it's stringy like that. :p This thread is making me hungry! Think I'll go make a nice yummy chicken, broccoli, cheese omelette! :D

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 12:23 PM
i would never be able to kill it!! :o

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33

I wouldn't either..........but my dad and brother have done it before. :o :o

I saw it once up close...........but then I looked away. They did it at this farm we go to on occasion. The sheep..............it didn't scream or cry or anything! It just lay there quietly, and passed quietly, and poor little PCB ran away crying! :p Well, almost! LOL

It wasn't the sheep that made me cry. He didn't act like he was suffering at all :confused: which really amazed me. What scared me was the blood. :( I could never ever ever kill my own meat. Never. I think I'd pass out. :p

But I still eat meat, and I have seen it many times (from far). I know where all my meat comes from as well. Their animals live a good life before its their time..............we don't buy from the main meat industry.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-01-2003, 12:34 PM

Me either! I'm seriously thinking of becoming a vegitarian when I'm older...I just can't stand slaughter-houses...:(

Kfamr
11-01-2003, 12:36 PM
I for one could kill my own meat, a cow probably not as I don't eat them anyway, but a chicken or turkey I can and plan to when I get a bigger place and can raise my own meat. The way I would do it would be far less painful for the animal, and it would have known a GREAT life before sitting there on my plate.

All the meat I eat, I know exactly where it comes from. In fact I routinely go feed it on occasion....except maybe fish.

My uncle rasises his own chicken up in MI...
It's the yummiest chicken i've ever tastes, but I wouldn't be able to slaughter it myself.

wolfsoul
11-01-2003, 01:32 PM
I know cattle is also eatten but, some people are very used to it and not bothered by it..

In some countries it is illegal to eat beef, but it is perfectly normal to eat what we might call a housepet. So maybe here we are used to it, but in other continents it can be hard to say without knowing for sure.

Nope, I don't agree with eating dogs. But we eat cows and pigs and birds and sometimes even horses. Maybe some of us find dogs superior to those animals, and that they deserve to live when those animals deserve to be slaughtered and eaten, but I don't think that way at all. :eek:

I would absolutely love to be a vegetarian. (But one who drinks milk and eats eggs. My grandma gives us her eggs from her free range chickens and I know an organic store that sells milk from cows that are well cared for). But my mom won't buy soy, tofu, or anything of the sort, so I wouldn't be getting enough protien from whatever incomplete protiens I'd be eating. :(

mahayana
11-01-2003, 02:05 PM
"If You Love Animals, Don't Eat Them!" reads the bumper sticker.

I would love to lay out the arguments for ethical vegetarianism for you, but it might sound hypocritical since I own a farm that produces cattle for market.

I also once had a French Alpine dairy goat named Misty, who was as much a pet as any dog. I petted her and milked her every day, groomed her, hand- raised her babies on a pail. Baby goats are as joyful and playful as any puppy.

Kfamr
11-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I love animals -- But I also eat them to survive.
I LOVE plants and flowers -- But I also eat them to survive.

Hey Mahayana..

I haven't seen *anything* about your pets, maybe you should start a thread and tell us about them.

:)

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
"If You Love Animals, Don't Eat Them!" reads the bumper sticker.

Funny you mention that! Just the other day, I saw a bumper sticker that said:

*I love animals. They're DELICIOUS!* :eek::eek:

There was also another one that said *Vegetarians murder plants* :rolleyes:

The wierd things people come up with. :rolleyes:

But I agree with Kfmar. You haven't told us ANYTHING on your pets. We want to hear about them! :D I'm sure they're adorable!

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 02:28 PM
are you done with your hw pcb! :p

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 02:43 PM
are you done with your hw pcb! :p

*cough cough* :o :o :o

Nooo :( I just can't concentrate if I don't check PT every 15 minutes!

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 02:44 PM
*cough cough* :o :o :o

Nooo :( I just can't concentrate if I don't check PT every 15 minutes!

HEY missy! Lets go! FINISH!! we need to finish our pm talks! :p

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 02:46 PM
HEY missy! Lets go! FINISH!! we need to finish our pm talks! :p

:o I'm actually typing my term paper, so I'm on the computer and constantly checking PT while doing my homework. I have like 2 pages left to go...........and then I have to workout, so it may be awhile until we can finish our *PM talks*. :o

Now back to the meat topic...........

mahayana
11-01-2003, 03:49 PM
OK Kfamr and Popcornbird, you asked about my pets so I will share. amoore is the beginning of my e-mail address, and my wife took it as her name here when she joined Pet Talk. We live with JoJo the miniature schnauzer, Sunny the siamese, Tiny the chihuahua, Polly and Stella the cockatiels, 7 frogs in the greenhouse, and four colonies of honeybees outside. I don't claim the frogs as my pets, and my wife doesn't claim the bees as hers.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-01-2003, 04:11 PM
*cries* I thought *I* was your PM friend PCB...:(
LOL! Just kidding! Are you finished yet? Come on Yahoo! ;)

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver

-mutters under breath to ju-

GoldenRetrLuver
11-01-2003, 04:18 PM
-mutters under breath to ju-

You PM buddy stealer! :p

Okay, back to the meat topic..

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver

You are my dear. :p Bambi has just been trying to take over today! :p ;) ;)

He he he

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 04:42 PM
You are my dear. :p Bambi has just been trying to take over today! :p ;) ;)

He he he

-GASP-.. thats all im gonna say right now.. -mutters- trying to steal her.. trying too hard- (JU)

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 04:43 PM
*cough cough* :o

I think we're going off-topic. Let's discuss this in PM's before everyone else gets annoyed. :p

zanzanfergie
11-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
And what we do in the US to cattle raised for food is any better?
Well, actually, I have to say that it is. People try, to the best of their ability, to ensure that the cattle do not suffer as they die, even though that's not always possible in a literal sense, because we can never know the extent of a cow's emotion. In the US there are also external bodies who monitor the slaughterhouses and enforce laws created to protect the cattle.

The difference in Korea is that the dog butchers actively try to make the dogs suffer as they die, to make a better 'quality' meat. The dogs die a slow, painful death.

To me, this isn't a difference of cultures issue so much as an animal cruelty one, which essentially comes down to the questions: what exactly is a humane, economically viable, method of death?

wolfsoul
11-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, actually, I have to say that it is. People try, to the best of their ability, to ensure that the cattle do not suffer as they die, even though that's not always possible in a literal sense, because we can never know the extent of a cow's emotion. In the US there are also external bodies who monitor the slaughterhouses and enforce laws created to protect the cattle.

The difference in Korea is that the dog butchers actively try to make the dogs suffer as they die, to make a better 'quality' meat. The dogs die a slow, painful death.

To me, this isn't a difference of cultures issue so much as an animal cruelty one, which essentially comes down to the questions: what exactly is a humane, economically viable, method of death?
Well, where I live, it's as if the slaughter houses try and take the most painful and discusting approach. They hang the cattle (while it's still alive!!!) and slit from the throat down and let it bleed/suffocate to death.

zanzanfergie
11-01-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Well, where I live, it's as if the slaughter houses try and take the most painful and discusting approach. They hang the cattle (while it's still alive!!!) and slit from the throat down and let it bleed/suffocate to death.
Oh. Why? Just curious. If they're killing thousands of cattle a week isn't it illogical to do it in such a time consuming (and messy :() way?
And the logistics of hanging a cow by the neck are :eek: to me. You're right, that is painful and disgusting (and desperately sad). I can't see it being the mainstream method of slaughter though. Could be wrong.

CamCamPup33
11-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

:( thats how they kill chickens too.. :(

wolfsoul
11-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Oh. Why? Just curious. If they're killing thousands of cattle a week isn't it illogical to do it in such a time consuming (and messy :() way?
And the logistics of hanging a cow by the neck are :eek: to me. You're right, that is painful and disgusting (and desperately sad). I can't see it being the mainstream method of slaughter though. Could be wrong.
I'm not sure why anyone would do that. :( My brother's grandpa used to live right beside it and that's what he said they did. But they don't kill that many cattle. When you drive past, you only see maybe 100 or less cattle in the field. I believe that they wait until they have a whole bunch, and then slaughter almost all of them in a short period of time. I've never seen the field empty, but I've never seen it that full either.

It's terrible how they placed the slaughterhouse right at the entrance of Kelowna. I can imagine what people think when they come to Kelowna for the first time to such a rotting stench. They must think that the whole place smells like that and that they just get used to it after a while.

G.P.girl
11-01-2003, 07:31 PM
i think the murder of animals is wrong in the first place, but i think it's especially sick when thye do it in public. animals desrve the same respct as humans.

Aspen and Misty
11-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Dogs here are considered 'pets' to live in the house, as pets.. Cattle is raised to be killed for food..

**For Mature audiances with strong stomachs only goes into some detail here**

My friend has a pet, yes I said PET cow, no it doesn't live in the house, but neither do some people dogs. Does that mean they should be cooked and eaten? Your probly like :eek: no!

Why can't it be the same way with cows? Or chickens, I know Popcornbird is going to jump all over me for saying this but a chicken is just as good of a pet as any other common "house kept bird" like a parrot. Fine, ok, maybe the parrot is "smarter" in w/e way you see it, but that doesn't mean that the chicken is not a good pet, they make exillent pets. I would also like to point out, some people on here have ducks as pets, they love them just as much as there dogs. My friend, also has ducks, about 7,000 of them (seriously) does he like them? Nope, he sells them to a place that kills them and cooks them. Sometimes just cooked skipping the killing part.

No animal is higher then the other. I honestly beleave because we all have grown up eating cows and living with dogs we veiw it as it's ok to kill a cow, but not a dog, and it's ok to breed a cow everytime we can but we can't breed a dog everytime it comes into heat. We all should just think of *most* milk farms as big Cow Mills, the females are kept pregnet almost there whole lives because if they aren't then they don't produce milk. These cows are bred and bred and bred, much like a female dog in a puppy mill. But puppy mils are a HUGE No No but milk farms aren't???I've never understood this. Cows are as much a pet as dogs are, they love you, they reconize you, they like to be pet, they even sometimes come when called!! :eek:

::sigh:: Just need to get that all off my chest :)

Ashley

popcornbird
11-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty

Why can't it be the same way with cows? Or chickens, I know Popcornbird is going to jump all over me for saying this but a chicken is just as good of a pet as any other common "house kept bird" like a parrot. Fine, ok, maybe the parrot is "smarter" in w/e way you see it, but that doesn't mean that the chicken is not a good pet, they make exillent pets.

Me jump over you because of this?!?! What are you talking about?!?!

*I* used to have 8 pet chickens..........PET chickens, who I loved with all my heart! I got them as little itty bitty fluffy chicks, and they were my first *pets* other than fish. I LOVED THEM! My little golden girl, Henny Penny was my favorite. She was soooooooo cute, especially when she was 2 weeks old! Oh, I still miss her. :( We gave them away to a friend who lived in the countryside, because we couldn't handle 8 growing chicks in the city.....but they were pets there as well and lived there for years until they died of old age! We even got to eat their eggs! he he! Would I *ever* eat THOSE chickens? NEVER! But.......I still eat chicken.......other chickens, that I've never seen or known. I don't think any animal is worth more than the other. Its just the tradition, that some animals are used for food and others are not. It doesn't mean they are worth more or less. I don't see a dog superior to a cat or a bird or a rabbit or whatever. They are all animals with a life and a soul and feelings. I don't consider it wrong to eat animals. Animals eat animals too. We're just keeping our end of the food chain. Yes I find it gross to eat a dog, but I wouldn't condemn others for eating it. Yes it makes me want to vomit.........just the thought, but its not because I consider dogs superior to other animals. I don't. I just find it gross to me and would never do it.

Ps. I'm very familiar with cows/goats/sheep/etc. as pets. I go to Pakistan every few years because I have relatives there, and LOTS of people keep such animals as PETS there. They are VERY sweet and lovable.........and they even go for walks with their owners on leashes sometimes! I've even seen people with pet monkeys there! LOL

Aspen and Misty
11-01-2003, 08:53 PM
I dunno, you and your weird Bird Feathery ways, you never know what to expect :D ::Watches back in case popcornbird comes behind her with a wild killer parakeet::

It's good to know that you don't think like that PCB!! :D ::Yippee:: <~~I think there are to many Yipps or yee's in that. LOL

Ash

CathyBogart
11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Well, actually, I have to say that it is. People try, to the best of their ability, to ensure that the cattle do not suffer as they die

WOW, I want to live where you live! Have you SEEN some of the slaughterhouse vids that have been posted here? Such places are the rule, not the exception, I'm sorry to say.

Huzzah for my favorite organic/free-range meat place...

zanzanfergie
11-01-2003, 09:05 PM
WOW, I want to live where you live! Have you SEEN some of the slaughterhouse vids that have been posted here? Such places are the rule, not the exception, I'm sorry to say.

Huzzah for my favorite organic/free-range meat place...
My point was that the aim of the slaughterhouses is not to hurt the animals. They may not care whether they suffer but that is not their purpose.

Twisterdog
11-01-2003, 11:46 PM
As for us not eating goat.........goat is actually eaten a lot in the US! I eat goat a lot actually...........and its available in many stores around here.

Wow, I had no idea. Sorry. I have never heard of anyone eating goat, ever, here. Maybe because we are a big beef state.

popcornbird
11-02-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I dunno, you and your weird Bird Feathery ways, you never know what to expect :D ::Watches back in case popcornbird comes behind her with a wild killer parakeet::

It's good to know that you don't think like that PCB!! :D ::Yippee:: <~~I think there are to many Yipps or yee's in that. LOL

Ash

My wierd Bird Feathery ways?!?! :eek::eek: Exactly WHAT did you just say? ;) :p :p He he he

Twisterdog, I think you probably haven't heard of Americans eating goat because you live *I think* in a state where people are mostly local...........not from other regions or countries. In areas that are more diverse, you have people bringing their cultures into the area, and find locals quickly adapting to them. :p Goat meat is common where I live.............I've even seen it at Safeway and other grocery stores. If you go to Indian restaurants, they would probably have some dishes with goat meat in them. I always see goat meat as so very similar to sheep. I mean.......we use both in the same dishes and it tastes pretty much the same. Its so slightly different, that sometimes I don't know if my mom made sheep or goat, and I don't even bother asking. :o The farms here are full of goats as well. Goats and sheep.........they are both very commonly used for meat.

Twisterdog
11-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Twisterdog, I think you probably haven't heard of Americans eating goat because you live *I think* in a state where people are mostly local...........not from other regions or countries. ......... Goats and sheep.........they are both very commonly used for meat.

Well, I do live in Wyoming now, and you are right, it is not a very diverse state as a whole. However, the town I live in is very diverse. Our town's motto, actually, is "Home of 56 Nationalities", and it's printed on all our signs and billboards, etc. This town was a main stop when building the trans-continental railroad and is in the center of many large mines, both industries which attracted a very diverse population. Did you ever learn about the Chinese Massacre in history, where hundred of Chinese miners and railroad worker were killed during the building of the transcontinental railroad? That happened here. This area also has a very large immigrant hispanic population.

Also, I have lived in many parts of the country prior to living here, including Denver, Chicago, Indianapolis.

I know sheep are commonly eaten. There are a lot of sheep here. I often have to stop and let a giant herd of sheep, along with sheepherders, horses, wagons and dogs cross the road.

I can't see it being the mainstream method of slaughter though. Could be wrong.

Sadly, it is. Slaughterhouses could give a hoot whether the animal suffers or not. They have to kill as many animals as quickly as possible and get them processed. Slaughterhouses are horrible places, I can't even begin to go into what happens there. Maybe small, private farmers care how their animals are killed, but they are a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of the food animals killed. Slaughterhouses are also filthy places, that is why so much meat carries deadly bacteria, such as e-coli, salmonella, etc. The factory farm industry in the USA is an atrocious embarrasment, and it's not just the animals that are being slaughtered that meet horrible deaths. The fate of laying chickens, dairy cows, etc. is rarely much better. Do some research on this if you are interested. You will be shocked and appalled, I guarantee it.

bluekat
11-02-2003, 10:27 AM
ugh, I typed up this long post and it said I included too many smilies, now I have to start all over.
I'm just going to say my opinion. I agree with Soledad...all of us eat meat. I mean in general, people on this side of the world eat meat. They kill them in painful ways too, but they're just different types of animals.
But the thing that bothers me the most is how they kill the animal. If you're going to eat it anyways, why kill them in the most painful way possible? It makes no sense:( I know it sounds stupid, but why can't they just put the animal to sleep first in a less painful way, and then after its dead, skin it and do whatever? and they even kill them in front of the people. Are they happy watching the animal die?
Some people have no respect for animals. They just think like "oh, they're just animals, its just a dog" They have no feelings, it doesn't matter how much pain they're going through.

CathyBogart
11-02-2003, 01:44 PM
So somehow the suffernig is justified if it's from people not caring rather than people deliberately hurting it? Do the cattle hurt less because we're not actively *Trying* to make them suffer?

Not that I'm trying to justify the torture of any animal, but that response seemed a bit biased...

bluekat
11-02-2003, 02:01 PM
I'm just saying that its like people are trying to use the most painful way possible to kill the animal.

magcpen
11-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Okay. frankly, how is that any worse than eating a pig or a cow???? :confused: Which I personaly won't do...

Foam
11-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Oh my god..I looked at those photos and just about spit up my lunch.
That is HORRIBLE. Absolutley disgusting, and it should be stopped. :mad: :(

I have no words for this..I am completley speechless..:(

zanzanfergie
11-02-2003, 04:55 PM
So somehow the suffernig is justified if it's from people not caring rather than people deliberately hurting it? Do the cattle hurt less because we're not actively *Trying* to make them suffer?

Not that I'm trying to justify the torture of any animal, but that response seemed a bit biased...
No, not justified. That was just the difference I was trying to show, which granted, does little to help the animals themselves, but the intentions are so different. Neither care about the animals, I guess, and you're right about that, but that's not what this thread's about. It's about Koreans eating dog, which disturbs me because of the way they intentionally make the dogs suffer, regardless of who how or why the US slaughterhouses operate.
And just remember...I'm only sixteen, okay? :) I don't have a whole lot of worldliness but I'm working on it. So be gentle on me.

bluekat
11-03-2003, 04:35 PM

I'm confused now. Was that supposed to be for me or zanzanfergie?

rachnjam27
11-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Some of you all can be so hypocritical. Take some time to think about our fur farms and our animal mills. How is that any different? Think about how the Indians feel about us consuming the cattle that they worship.
Korea, China, and the Phillipines are not the only countries that consume dog. I've seen Japanese selling skinned cats, rats, dogs, chickens, and I even saw some iguanas (though still alive) on the street.
Believe me, PETA and many of those anti-meat organizations exaggerate to dramatisize the situations. Humans are omnivores, get used to it.
Oh, and by the way, I noticed that some of those photos had japanese writing in the background. They also don't seem to be too recent, but this is just judging mainly by quality.

One last note, just an FYI, dogs are usually consumed because it is believed to increase penis strength and size.

CathyBogart
11-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Thank you rachnjam! ^.^ (Oh, and welcome aboard!!)

Bluekat: sorry, should have specified, I was responding to zanzan.

Dakota's Mommy
11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Since Brian served a year in South Korea with the Army, I knew they ate dog meat. However, I was unaware of their way of preparing the meat. That's the part that really disturbs me. Yes, I understand it's a norm in their culture just like us eatting ham or steak. However, as I said, the brutality to these animals before their even killed is something I think is uncalled for. But, it's their culture. I just ask that they don't bring it to me. I also know Brian was very careful as to what he ate because he couldn't stand the thought of eatting dog meat!

luckies4me
11-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by rachnjam27
Some of you all can be so hypocritical. Take some time to think about our fur farms and our animal mills. How is that any different? Think about how the Indians feel about us consuming the cattle that they worship........

Glad to see you finally posted. ;) :p :D

Now get your butt on down to Pet General and post some pics of your adorable hedgie girl! :D hurry Hurry!

And did you say Rats?:eek:

wolfsoul
11-04-2003, 11:10 PM

And did you say Rats?:eek:
I watched this video, and it showed the inside of a chinese restaurant and there were skinned rats and dogs hanging from the roof...:o

mahayana
11-05-2003, 06:21 AM
"Humans are omnivores, get used to it." Rachnjam

Biologically, that is true. But people are also what they choose to be.

I'm tempted to refer you to Erich Fromm's "The Heart of Man", a treatise about the human potential for evil. We are everything they say we are, and we are very proud of it!

But there is also hope, as more of humanity notices the connections between life-forms, thinks about the kind of world they want to have.

We kill, we torture, we destroy...

But we also love!

dukedogsmom
11-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Someone brought up an interesting point to my post. And I wanted to clarify that I wanted them to rot in hell, not because they were eating dogs, as that's their culture, but because of the inhumane way the dogs were treated for consumption.

rachnjam27
11-08-2003, 06:55 PM
And you are referring to all koreans in general?

RubyMutt
11-09-2003, 12:40 PM
It seems to me that we should worry about how livestock is treated in OUR OWN country before we criticize another.

** WARNING: the following links contain disturbing information and/or graphic images **

http://www.hsus.org/ace/14231

http://www.nodowners.org/gallery/index.htm

http://www.hfa.org/hot_topic/wash_post.html

http://www.petfinder.org/journalindex.cgi?path=/public/animalissuesawareness/animalcrueltyissues/1.37.14.txt

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 01:22 PM
It seems to me that we should worry about how livestock is treated in OUR OWN country before we criticize another.

Amen. I agree completely.

Those who live in glass houses .....

rachnjam27
11-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I 100% agree, I was thinking the exact same thing.

RICHARD
11-09-2003, 01:28 PM

One last note, just an FYI, dogs are usually consumed because it is believed to increase penis strength and size.

I have been to plenty of sporting events and consumed many dogs there.......

It hasn't done anything for me.:confused:

MYTH???

DEBUNKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twister..

People who live in glass houses....usually pay more in heating bills!!

I recommend insulation with a higher "R" value, sealing the cracks around windows and doors and double paned windows!

;)

rachnjam27
11-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Amusing.

RICHARD
11-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Amusing.

the part that scares me is other people laugh.....
of course I live in the "LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED"
that has it's drawbacks.

I'm always amused!

rachnjam27
11-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Congratulations.

RICHARD
11-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Congratulations.

thank you very much.

I like to dedicate this award to all the
people out there, my writers and all the people who voted...

I means alot to me!
:confused:

zanzanfergie
11-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt

Or, we could worry about animals in pain all over the world, including our own country.

rachnjam27
11-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Or, we could realize that we cannot save all of the animals around the world and that we have a much more likely chance at accomplishing something here in our own country.

rachnjam27
11-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Someone brought up an interesting point to my post. And I wanted to clarify that I wanted them to rot in hell, not because they were eating dogs, as that's their culture, but because of the inhumane way the dogs were treated for consumption.
Let's all go take a tour into one of our many puppy mills.
Still hoping to recieve a response to my last question in reference to your reply.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Or, we could realize that we cannot save all of the animals around the world and that we have a much more likely chance at accomplishing something here in our own country .... Let's all go take a tour into one of our many puppy mills.

I agree with both points!

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 05:38 PM
OK, this thread is getting way too serious and depressing.

Time for a little sick humor ... and since it's the Dog House and all ....

http://users.abcs.com/townsend/cat-kettle.htm

Disclaimer: Do not click if you have no sense of humor. ;)

popcornbird
11-09-2003, 05:41 PM
OK, this thread is getting way too serious and depressing.

Time for a little sick humor ... and since it's the Dog House and all ....

http://users.abcs.com/townsend/cat-kettle.htm

Disclaimer: Do not click if you have no sense of humor. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

*faints*

CathyBogart
11-09-2003, 05:43 PM
ROFLMAO!! LOVE IT!

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
*faints*

I TOLD you not to open it, popcornbird ... I TOLD you.

KYS
11-09-2003, 07:32 PM
posted by Twisterdog:I TOLD you not to open it, popcornbird ... I TOLD you. >>>>>>

You have to admit the tune is kind of catchy. :eek:

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 08:44 PM
You have to admit the tune is kind of catchy.

So it is. LOL Do you know the original? "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. Beautiful, touching song.

(Sorry, Mr. Chapin! LOL)

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Omg, I just watched it! :D But they made the cartoon kitty look so darn cute...

KYS
11-09-2003, 09:47 PM
posted by Twisterdog:LOL Do you know the original? "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. Beautiful, touching song. >>>>>

Yes, I have heard the song before,
but I do not remember any of the
words. I must admit, I did find myself huming the tune,
when I opened up the @#$% cite. :)

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Yes, I have heard the song before, but I do not remember any of the words.

Here you go: :(

My child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay.
He learned to walk while I was away.
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew,
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad.
You know I'm gonna be like you."

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.
You know we'll have a good time then."

My son turned ten just the other day.
He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play.
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,
I got a lot to do." He said, "That's ok."
And he walked away, but his smile, lemme tell you,
Said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah.
You know I'm gonna be like him."

"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.

Well, he came from college just the other day,
So much like a man I just had to say,
"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile,
"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys.
See you later. Can I have them please?"

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.

I've long since retired and my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time.
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu,
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad.
It's been sure nice talking to you."
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me,
He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.

zanzanfergie
11-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Let's all go take a tour into one of our many puppy mills.

She wasn't talking about puppy mills. She wasn't defending them, or in fact mentioning them at all. She was just protesting the inhumane treatment of Korean dogs. It's a fair concern, regardless of what's happening in the US, Australia, or Uzbekistan. They're not directly relatable.

Besides which, we're only stating our opinions, not taking any physical action. Maybe if we were going to go out and join protest groups we'd do better to focus on our own country. But that's not, as far as I know, the case right now.

rachnjam27
11-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Well, tell me how our puppy mills are irrelavnt to the 'inhumane treatment of dogs in Korea?'
Frankly, I see no difference. We are just as bad as others and I believe that we need to start fixing our own country before critisizing others.
Most people don't realize that our country is also full of abuse and neglect, because we are the 'perfect country.'

RubyMutt
11-10-2003, 01:15 AM
Or, we could worry about animals in pain all over the world, including our own country.

I agree. I'm just saying you need to realize this isn't only happening in Korea! The meat you buy at the grocery store goes through a very similar process.

popcornbird
11-10-2003, 02:35 AM
I TOLD you not to open it, popcornbird ... I TOLD you.

Ohhhhhhhh I'm happy I opened it! It was hilarious! So funny that I fainted! :D :p :o

CathyBogart
11-10-2003, 05:08 AM
*Bows* Rachnjam, you voiced my thoughts exactly!

zanzanfergie
11-10-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
I agree. I'm just saying you need to realize this isn't only happening in Korea! The meat you buy at the grocery store goes through a very similar process.
Sure. :) That's why I'm a vegetarian.

zanzanfergie
11-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Well, tell me how our puppy mills are irrelavnt to the 'inhumane treatment of dogs in Korea?'

Because that's not what we're talking about here. They are two different things. And we are talking about one, and not the other.

Frankly, I see no difference. We are just as bad as others and I believe that we need to start fixing our own country before critisizing others.
Maybe so. But Dukedogsmom didn't say "There is a big different between how America treats its livestock and the way Korea treats its dogs. We don't need to fix the US but we DO need to fix Korea". In fact, she didn't mention the USA at all. She merely expressed her opinion on the way dogs are butchered in Korea.

That's why its irrelevant.

Most people don't realize that our country is also full of abuse and neglect, because we are the 'perfect country.'
Good point. I don't see anyone contradicting you.

mahayana
11-10-2003, 06:13 AM
How about if we offer green cards to Koreans to let them work here euthanizing for free at all of our pet shelters and veterinary clinics, and disposing of the carcasses? Our government could help by subsidizing the shipments to Korea, in conjunction with the current aid programs.

And it would save space in the landfills!

(in the spirit of Jonathan Swift)

dukedogsmom
11-10-2003, 05:14 PM
And, rachnjam27, if you're not so crazy about our "perfect" country, there are plenty of other countries out there from which to choose. I was trying to be kind of diplomatic about this. Something tells me that anything I say to you, you would not be satisfied and would just come back with another negative comment.

rachnjam27
11-10-2003, 05:30 PM
And what makes you think that I'm not so crazy over this country? Although it may not be the clearest implication, I love this country. Check my profile.
Honestly, I really do not see much diplomacy in your comments. Saying that koreans should rot in hell? Please.
I also do not see how my comments can be described as 'negative', I'm just proving a point and standing behind it.
And I believe that satisfaction does not and should not matter in a debate. Takes all the fun out of it, really ;)

Soledad
11-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Why, what a modest proposal, Mahayana?!:p

mahayana
11-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Ah, Soledad...

You have no idea how restrained (and understated, tongue-in-cheek, vastly entertained, etc) I have been here and elsewhere on pet talk.

This is a thread about KOREA (I love it!) one of the three countries our president demonized before Sept 11. All right, so most are talking about South Korea and gross eating habits, but I am going for the world view thing.

And I enjoy debate (that's a really BIG understatement), hah!

rachnjam27
11-10-2003, 07:35 PM
I take it that you don't like Korea?

mahayana
11-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Wow! That was a leap!

In truth, I know little about Korea and it's people, but feel no antipathy whatsoever.

I feel like North Korea has a big target on its back right now, due to the militarism of our current administration.

I grew up feeling that the world would end by nuclear holocaust.

I would like to see a world where everyone has tolerance for everyone else, where there is no more war or starvation.

just trying to put it together, re Korea. Sorry if I gave you the impression that I had judged a whole country and found them "evil".

p.s. Jonathan Swift was a famous satirist

Twisterdog
11-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Ohhhhhhhh I'm happy I opened it! It was hilarious! So funny that I fainted!

Oh, ok. Good. I'm glad I could amuse you with my sick and twisted humor. I thought you were appalled by it at first! ;)