PDA

View Full Version : I am placed in a difficult position

Stenograsaurus
11-20-2001, 12:01 PM
My neighbors have a dog. She's an English Pointer (I believe). She is all skin and bones. You can count every rib. She has an indentation right above her tail because she's so sunken in. I'm afraid she will not survive the winter. She has absolutely no muscle mass. I had said something to the wife about the dog looking sick. It's her husband's dog. She doesn't like dogs at all. She said, I don't know much about dogs and turned around and walked away. (I forgot to mention that they keep the dog outside.) :mad: Now, the only reason I go up there is because they have a daughter the same age as mine and they like to play together. I want to turn them in so bad but since I am the only animal lover in our small town, I know they will know it's me. There are three houses on my street. They will undoubtedly know it's me. These people are the kind of people that will seek revenge and be destructive to at least my property, maybe us personally. The closest police office is 45 minutes away, so I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]

aly
11-20-2001, 12:14 PM
Wow, the answer was clear when I first started reading your post. But then I changed my mind when I heard the kind of people they are.

Ok, no one think bad of me for this, but I would find a partner in crime and take the dog myself. I DON'T condone stealing other peoples' animals UNLESS the animal is abused and/or neglected. It probably wouldn't be good to be sneaking around in their backyard, but if somehow you came across the dog on the street, off their property, well I would just take him! And then let a friend keep him at their house while you maybe find a rescue group or something. The reason I suggest not keeping him at your house is 1) The neighbors will suspect and might come look, and 2) It would put your daughter in a bad position since she's friends with their daughter.

This is a very hard situation and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. Let us know.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Karen
11-20-2001, 01:53 PM
If you think it would help, I would be willing to call whomever you think should be called. I could do it, say I am familiar with the situation and it really concerns me - could they look into it. I could honestly say that a friend told me about the situation, that no, I don't live nearby but from what I've heard at least the animal welfare people should pay a visit. I am concerned, and would like to help if I could. If I were living nearby, I would be tempted to "steal" her, or if my family was with me, I'd go talk to the dog while my Dad, who is big and can be scary looking when you don't know him, talked to the owner, with all intentions of leaving with the dog no matter what transpired. Do you have anyone who could help you in such a manner who is closer geographically?

Phred
11-20-2001, 02:07 PM
The Head Bunnie :cool: *hops* onto center field and gathers her troops into the huddle...

Mumble, mumble, murmur, plot, plot, gesture...

And the Plan is planned...

Go Gett'um, Pet Talkers! :D Look OUT :eek:, nawtee :mad: neighbor!

lbaker
11-20-2001, 02:42 PM
BosMom and I are in MD several others are in PA and I'm ready to rummmmmmble :mad: :mad: Just say the word. I have some biker type friends around and although they look (and can be scary :rolleyes :) they love animals too.
laurie

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]

lizbud
11-20-2001, 05:02 PM
Steno,
I think Karen's idea is an excellent one !
But if I were Karen, I wouldn't 'volenteer'
the fact that I didn't live nearby...just
the fact that I knew the situation to be
real & considered it to be serious...
Think we had a thread along these same lines awhile ago,and I still say a case of
obvious neglect should be considered a
"rescue case" not "stealing property"...
I could not look away when I saw any animal being treated that way !!!

Karen
11-20-2001, 05:42 PM
I WOULD say that I don't live nearby, just that I have seen the dog when I was driving by on the way to xxxx. That way they couldn't accuse anyone on their street, and also, most police-type places, and in fact many businesses, too, have caller-ID, and I wouldn't want my credibility harmed by them seeing an out-of-state area code, and so dismissing the complaint.

Stenograsaurus, do let me know, email me if you want, if I can help. If I do call someone, you'd have to help with a couple little fibs - is the dog visible from the street at all? And is your street on the way to anywhere? :)

Logan
11-20-2001, 05:55 PM
You guys have my mind racing about Shadow, the little Yorkshire Terrier that lives behind me. She is still escaping, and I told the owner today, after she had spent 6 hours in my house that I could not stand it if I found her run over in the street. I literally begged him to please let his daughter take her. The daughter is home all day, and has asked for her. But instead, they insist on putting her out on their deck, all day, and evening, every day. And she ends up here. Thank goodness I work at home, but I can't take her permanently. She terrorizes my cats, and they come first. Whenever she is in the house (which is about 4 times per week), Mimi and Butter either have to be shut up in a room, or left outdoors until she leaves.

Don't you wish people would be more responsible? I hope you get it worked out, with this pointer. At least I know Shadow is fed, but she needs friendship and socialization. A deck is no place to keep a little lap dog like that. :(

lizbud
11-20-2001, 07:07 PM
OMG Logan, that little dog is STILL being
kept outside? Does she still bark a lot, or
has she accepted her lot in life ?
Perhaps I just expect too many 'silver
linings' ...I'm so sorry to hear that news..

Karen, Good point about the caller-id !!

sabies
11-20-2001, 07:24 PM
Have you asked the husband about the dog? Maybe if you offered to help them find a new home for the dog or if you offered to bring him to a shelter for them they would agree to that. Does your daughter have any insight on the family's feelings toward the dog? Sounds like if anything happens to the dog they'll know it's you and I wouldn't want them to steal one of your pets to get you back. If the helpful polite approach doesn't work, I would inform them that you will call the humane society or someone to come check the situation if you don't see a change. At least if you do everything legally you will always be able to retaliate legally.

If the dog is in view of strangers who happen to travel the street, I'd go the anonymous route, they sound like scary neighbors! Good luck.

Stenograsaurus
11-20-2001, 09:38 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the support. The dog is not visible from the street. She's behind a huge garage so you can't see her from the main street. When you travel down my little side street, the view is blocked by the pool. The only people who know she's there knows the family. My daughter is only four so she's never there without me. When I was up there the other day, I was feeding her my daughter's snack and their daughter told me not to feed her because she wouldn't eat that. I told her that this dog will eat anything you eat except chocolate. I'm hoping the girl sneaks stuff to her. The husband is very irresponsible. I drove by the other day and the wife was up on the roof putting up lights and he was standing in the front yard watching her. She does all the work!!! I'm afraid I could talk to him until I'm blue in the face but he just wouldn't get it. His mentality level just isn't high enough to understand. Neither is hers. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to call and report this abuse. I'm going to rely on my faith that God will protect my family if I help this dog. I could not live with myself if she died. I'll just pray that my dogs will never run up there if they get loose. :eek:

Karen
11-20-2001, 09:58 PM
If you want, I'll still call anonymously for you, and skip how I "know" about the dog. Just let me know if you need help.

sabies
11-20-2001, 11:32 PM
Good luck! That dog is sooo lucky you saw him. I hope it all works out.

yorkster
11-21-2001, 02:15 AM
I agree with Aly- take the dog and find a good home for it! There is no way they will know for sure it was you, especially if you one day say "hey, where is your dog?"
About reporting them, I just think they will figure it out. Then what happens to the dog? What guarentee is there that the dog will find another good home? What if they are just contacted and told to stop neglecting/abusing their dog? I have heard that usually with a first offense, all that happens is a talking to, and then after that, there is no way you can take the dog, because they will know it's you.
And just because they are contacted, it does not mean they will change.

Go for it!

Stenograsaurus
11-21-2001, 10:19 AM
I would take the dog if I thought I could get away with it. I'd have to take her during the night and take her to the Vet's the next day. The Vet's Office would try to find a home for her. They told me if I find an animal, bring it to them, not the Humane Society. Unfortunately, my four year old would have to see the dog and she's not good at keeping secrets. What four year old is? She would eventually let it slip that we took their dog and then all heck would break loose.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Calling Animal Control on them can cause problems since you said they are the type of neighbors that would harm you or your family or property.

I would steal the dog and take it to youe Vet the next day like you said. They will be able to care for the poor thing and find it a good home.

Do not let anyone know about you taking it. Not even any of your kids. Children have a way of volunteering info even when they are not asked for it. Have someone ready in the care if you need it. Grab the poor thing, put it in the car, and get out of there. Seeif a friend can keep her over night so that your daughter can not see the dog.

Good luck and please update us on the situation!

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Souraya ]

Stenograsaurus
11-21-2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Karen:
<STRONG>If you want, I'll still call anonymously for you, and skip how I "know" about the dog. Just let me know if you need help.</STRONG>
Thank you so much for being willing to do that for this dog. I really appreciate it. I made the call!!!! They have the directions and are hopefully on the way their now!!! I told them not to tell them that they had received a call about suspected abuse, just tell them they were donig some random checks. I don't know if they will do that or not. My daughter probably just lost a playmate, but, hey, she's young. She'll adjust. It will be worth it if the dog is saved.

Logan
11-21-2001, 11:20 AM
I have mixed feelings about encouraging the "stealing". On one hand, I would help you do it, to help the dog, but on the other hand, as I have experienced with Shadow, my head says it is wrong, no matter what. What a dilemma. I wish you the best and the precious dog, whatever you decide. :)

kobieeli
11-21-2001, 11:29 AM
My fingers are crossed! I hope that call works out for the best for that poor dog...

tatsxxx11
11-21-2001, 06:07 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I absolutely think you did the right thing. And, just somehow, I know that "someone up above" is so proud of your courage and your commitment, that you and your family will be protected. Thank you SO much for helping this precious soul. What a wonderful gift of love you have given to this beautiful creature this holiday :) Good Luck! And please let us know how it works out.

lbaker
11-23-2001, 09:59 AM
whaaaaat's happening here :confused: did someone check it out :confused: are you OK? Please let us know......
laurie

Stenograsaurus
11-23-2001, 05:00 PM
I'm still here, just busy. I don't know what happened. The dog is still there. I haven't heard any rumors yet about what happened. I'm on my way to the store (the only one in the four surrounding towns) so I'll see if I hear anything there. I'm hoping that the Dog Law Enforcement Officer gave them so many days to get the dogs shots. At least then she will go to the Vet and see if there's anything medically wrong with her that causes her to be so skinny. She also has a lump underneath her, on her chest. It's soooo big. It's all callosed because it hits the ground first. Her ears were all scabby inside too. Well, got to go, supper is almost ready. I'll be back later.

Daisy's Mom
11-23-2001, 05:57 PM
I just read this whole thread and I feel so bad for you! What a difficult situation to be in. I hope that your call made a difference. You did the right thing! I'll pray that those crazy people don't do anything stupid.

lbaker
11-23-2001, 06:39 PM
and and... :confused: :( you know I can't sleep without knowing what's happening with this situation. Dear Dawg I just got my mom involved with this (she already thinks I'm nuts with my addiction to this site :rolleyes: but now she's ready to get in the truck and make a night rescue :eek: and she's 83 years old but fiesty. What can we do :confused: :confused:
laurie

Stenograsaurus
11-23-2001, 07:01 PM
Well, I didn't hear anything at the store. I was hoping that the neighbors would have went out of town for the weekend and then I would have snatched her up, but they didn't. That would be hard to do too though. The husband's parents live right next door and husband's brother lives across the street. The dog barks when you go near her too, so she would alert them. The little girl said something to me about the dog always barking and the little girl didn't know why. I told the little girl that the dog is lonely and when she hears the dog barking, to go over and pet her and spend a little time with her. We were petting the dog at the time and I said, see, she's not barking now because we're petting her. I don't think the girl is old enough to understand though. She will be turning four next month. When I leave the dog, she jumps up and latchs her arms around my arm and I have to pull myself away from her. That is sooo hard. :(
Lbaker, I had to chuckle when I pictured this 83 year old woman taking a road trip to commit a theft. :cool: I don't know what can be done at this point. I was hoping the Dog Law Enforcement Officer would have seen her condition and taken her away but I guess he's giving them a chance. I just pray that it will all work out and what's meant to be will be.

Barbiro
11-23-2001, 07:33 PM
Giving them a chance? For what -- to kill that dog? Awwww...how sad that people are like that. What kind of example is that for that child? It's terrible. I feel so bad for that dog. :(

lizbud
11-23-2001, 08:19 PM
What about just offering to "take the dog
off their hands" for say like $30-40,then
get the dog into a shelter or rescue group?
Makes you wonder why they even have a dog
in the first place!!!
I just have to stop reading stories about
a neighbor's neglected dog/cat..and what to
do about it.
P.S. Ibaker , Your Momma sounds like a
kindred spirit!! God Bless Her...

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

aly
11-23-2001, 08:35 PM
I think you did the absolute right thing!!!! I hope the dog was checked on and will be taken care of. If not, I had the same thought as lizbud. Maybe spend so much time with the dog while you're there, tell them you're attached to it, and see if you can take it. You never know, they may let you.

sammi
11-23-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by lbaker:
<STRONG>and and... :confused: :( you know I can't sleep without knowing what's happening with this situation. Dear Dawg I just got my mom involved with this (she already thinks I'm nuts with my addiction to this site :rolleyes: but now she's ready to get in the truck and make a night rescue :eek: and she's 83 years old but fiesty. What can we do :confused: :confused:
laurie</STRONG>
Does Mom drive a Harley???
:D :cool: You are never to old to do what you belive in. hee hee!

aly
11-23-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sammi:
<STRONG>
Does Mom drive a Harley???
:D :cool: You are never to old to do what you belive in. hee hee!</STRONG>

Hehehe, funny mental picture :D

lbaker
12-02-2001, 08:52 AM
And :confused: is there any good news out of this situation :confused: Mom doesn't drive a Harley but don't mess with slim :D Really, can we help :confused:
laurie
time for me to actually get some work done..see ya'll later

ktreva52
12-02-2001, 12:50 PM
Oh, gosh, I can't stand the suspense! Any further news?

Stenograsaurus
12-02-2001, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ktreva52:
<STRONG>Oh, gosh, I can't stand the suspense! Any further news?</STRONG>

The dog is still there. I saw her sitting on top of her dog box on the way to church this morning. That's the first time I've seen her since this all started. My hubby saw the wife at the store last weekend. She talked to him just like before and it didn't seem like she was upset about anything. I haven't heard anything around town about a Dog Law Enforcement Officer being around. I'm beginning to wonder if he even checked on her. I'm thinking of calling him and doing a follow up to see what happened. Maybe one day this week my girl and I will walk up that way to play with their girl and I'll sneek a close up look at the dog to see if she looks any better. All I want is for them to get her to the vet to see if she has worms and, if not, feed the dang dog!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

ktreva52
12-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Yup, sounds like a follow-up with the Animal Control guys would be in order. At least, she's still among the living -- if you can call it that. Hope something good happens soon!

Karen
12-04-2001, 05:56 PM
I would absolutely follow up with the Animal Control people - be friendly and curious, and ask if they've "gotten a chance" (implying you know they're very busy and giving them an easy out if they've forgotten) to visit, and what they found if they did.

Also, if you're going up there, I'd bring a box of (nutritious) dog biscuits that you "got on sale - so I thought you could use them" and give them to the child and tell her to give doggy one after every meal she (the child) eats, so they can be friends together. At least then you'd know she was getting something decent to eat.

quanzhan
12-05-2001, 09:37 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I have a neighbor they have a very beautiful dog, they got him since he was a puppy. But after the puppy turned into a huge dog, they tied him in their backyard 24/7, he was dirty, wet and very smelling. I dont know how they can sleep at night when it was raining? I was thinking about take him to some shelter without telling them, but I am so glad somebody else called animal control before I did, and He is now in a very loving home and has all the attention he needs.

lizbud
12-07-2001, 08:17 PM
Quanzhan and Zack,
I am so glad that your neighbor's dog was
rescued from that horrid life..Also happy
to hear that you would have followed up &
made the call for help yourself. I would be
proud to call you a friend !!!
How is Zack doing now? He looked so sad
in the first pictures of him, but I saw a
smile from him in the later pictures.
Zack is in my prayers for a complete recovery and a happy healthy life with you..

ktreva52
12-21-2001, 10:23 PM
Do we have an update?
:confused:

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: ktreva52 ]

jennifert
01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Any news on the dog?

Stenograsaurus
01-22-2002, 11:42 AM
I have no news to add. I have a habit of hibernating in the winter time. I can't stand the cold. :eek: When I drive by, I look to see if she's there. Like I said, she's kind of hidden from the view of the public so the only time I can see her now is when she is sitting on top of her pen. I haven't seen her in a while. As far as I know, she's still there. Unfortunately, she's just existing. :(

lizbud
01-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Well, if the dog was just "skin & bones" last
November, and even had a "mass" of some kind
on her chest, maybe a merciful God will allow
this poor dog to pass on to Rainbow Bridge.
I hope & pray that she doesn't have to linger
& suffer any longer.

tatsxxx11
01-22-2002, 05:08 PM
WHERE IS ANIMAL CONTROL???????

purrley
01-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Steno - come out of hibernation and get Animal Control over there, something needs to be done!!!!!

lizbud
02-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Hello,

Just wondering about the neglected neighbor's dog.
Steno, Have you had a chance to see her lately? Did
Animal Control ever come out to check things out?
I realize we all "gotta go sometime" but I just hate
to think that this dog will pass on unloved & un-noticed
by the very people who "keep her" in these circumstances.
I'm sorry to keep bugging you about this, it's not your
problem to solve; but I find myself thinking of her often.
Thanks, Liz.

Stenograsaurus
02-05-2002, 11:38 AM
After days of driving and not seeing Dee-dee, I had just got to the point that I thought that maybe she was gone. I told myself that they found another home for her. That's easier to handle than telling myself she died cold, scared and alone. Then I was driving over the tracks one day and looked over and she was sitting on top of her dog box. She had reappeared. And, guess what. She actually looked like she had gained some weight. [surprised]. I think they had taken her into the garage because we had a really cold snap here. I thought if that's the case, well, that shows that they care some. The weight gain is a good sign also!!!
I'm hoping that animal control gave them a little speech on how to properly care for an animal and maybe they listened. I didn't keep animal control's number. I have to call one place that gives me the number of another place that gives me the number of another place where I have to leave a message on an answering machine. I never talked to a person. I'm pretty sure if I called they wouldn't give me any information anyway.
It would be great if she was treated as a member of the family but that's not the way these pepole are. She is a hunting dog, not a pet. :(
I'll probably get more info when the kids are out playing again in the Spring. As of now, she's still existing as an outside dog only.:( :mad:

Logan
02-05-2002, 11:44 AM
I just wanted to tell you that I completely understand your predicament. If you called Animal Control, I'm not sure what else you could do, other than call them again. It is hard to be the neighbor of someone who doesn't treat their pet the way we would. I've been there and done that as many people on this board know. And my "victim" was a 7 pound Yorkshire Terrier, being subjected to the cold, rain, etc. with not even a dog house to retreat to. Her answer was to escape, constantly. It tore me up....but guess who she ran to. Me! Constantly. I would have kept her if my cats didn't despise her so.

I think there is only so much one can do, especially if it puts their own dogs, children, etc in danger. Sounds like you have cared a lot and done what you can. Keep a close eye out, and if need be, call Animal Control again. I know I might get crucified over this answer. I'm as passionate about these pets as anyone, but I also know that if you are a homeowner and plan to stay there a while, you just have to pray and offer every bit of compassion possible to these animals, as often as you can, and hope for the best. :(

lizbud
02-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Thank You for the update. I know it can't be
easy to see a dog that's treated so differently
than our own pets.
Re: the weight gain, Hope they are feeding her
more, and not that she is pregnant.
Anyway, thanks again for checking on her.

doggielover02
02-05-2002, 05:37 PM
What i would do is somehow sneak it some food. . . . .well this is only if all else fales (spellcheak)

dukedogsmom
02-05-2002, 07:43 PM
I recently found a dog that was tied in the back of a pickup in the afternoon in the Florida heat. He had no water. I tried to get someone to answer the door but no one did. I went and got some water for him, then called animal control. I waited for almost an hour and they still weren't there. In the meantime, I poured water over him to keep him cool. He was the sweetest pit bull. Finally, the owner came out and got violent and I had to leave. And of course, animal control did nothing but give him a speech. I feel so bad for mistreated animals, especially dogs.

Stenograsaurus
02-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I just wanted to tell you that I completely understand your predicament. If you called Animal Control, I'm not sure what else you could do, other than call them again. It is hard to be the neighbor of someone who doesn't treat their pet the way we would. I've been there and done that as many people on this board know. And my "victim" was a 7 pound Yorkshire Terrier, being subjected to the cold, rain, etc. with not even a dog house to retreat to. Her answer was to escape, constantly. It tore me up....but guess who she ran to. Me! Constantly. I would have kept her if my cats didn't despise her so.

I think there is only so much one can do, especially if it puts their own dogs, children, etc in danger. Sounds like you have cared a lot and done what you can. Keep a close eye out, and if need be, call Animal Control again. I know I might get crucified over this answer. I'm as passionate about these pets as anyone, but I also know that if you are a homeowner and plan to stay there a while, you just have to pray and offer every bit of compassion possible to these animals, as often as you can, and hope for the best. :(

Thanks, Logan. I needed that. :)