PDA

View Full Version : Are all Vets this cheap?

catmandu
10-31-2003, 09:34 AM
I had some dental work done on my Cats .bout 1200.oo worth , and the Vet gave me a six pack of Cat food , a canned six pack. i assumed that it was free , then he mentioned that it was 49 .nd it was already on the Females bill! they couldnt give a little freebie , after spending that much money. opinions , please , am I the Cheapie?

Craftlady
10-31-2003, 10:57 AM
I've never gotten anything for free. It wouldn't hurt them to give us a freebee once in a while. They get probably just as many samples of stuff as doctor's office for humans.

amoore
10-31-2003, 11:09 AM
No , you are not a cheepy . You spent a lot of money there for your pet . Looks like they could give a few cans of food ,with that much money spent !
Now i know i should have been a vet! Thats were the money is .
Same thing happened to me ,only i spent $600.00 instead .
not as much as yours was but it put a big dent in my bank account anyway . :eek:

catlover4ever
10-31-2003, 11:10 AM
I never got anything for free either. It would be really nice if they had small samples of the special diet food, you know that way a person could make sure her kitty liked the stuff they wanted to put them on.

Nomilynn
10-31-2003, 11:19 AM
My vet gives me stuff for free all the time. She gave Bassett an allergy shot before her vaccinations for free, and she's given me several tins of food for nothing. She's also done a urinalysis for Bassett for free, and a few examinations for nothing. But then, since I was there SO much with Bassett, maybe it was easier to skip the paperwork sometimes!!! :p

Oh - my vet also gives out free samples of food all the time. I brought home a bunch of "taste tests" for my picky girls :D

ScantyNebula
10-31-2003, 11:45 AM
When I want to get free samples I just go to a pet store - they have them all the time. Our vet doesn't give stuff for free not that I know of :rolleyes:

kuhio98
10-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Do I have this straight? You didn't ask for the cans of food? He put them on your bill on his own? If that's true, I would take the food back and say no thanks. Would you pay if a waiter put a dessert that you didn't order on your bill? Would you pay if the cashier at the grocery store charged you for something 'they' thought you needed?

That being said, you are not cheap. Your vet has a strange way of making a few extra bucks. When Halo had a bad reaction earlier this month to receiving her distemper and rabies shots, our vet did not charge us for the office visit because she felt so bad that the shots made Halo sick.

When Sacha (sister's dog) was sick, her vet didn't charge her for the office visit when Sascha had a mysterious infection.

If you have a good vet and want to continue working with him, I'd suggest you have a talk with him. He might not know that this kind of thing is turning you off. Let him know that he shouldn't add things to your bill without your okay.

CatDad
11-01-2003, 12:26 AM
My vet sometimes gives me free stuff, but I am really well know there, in a good way.:rolleyes: That is another story.

However from the look of your sig and the amount of money that you spent, I would not think it out of line to throw in a few free items, especially if he gave it to you.

If you like the vet I would talk to him/her about this, otherwise I would find a new vet.

Fox-Gal
11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
My Vet is so good about handing out free stuff that I ashamed to say I expect it now. On those rare day I don't walk out with some goodies I feel cheated. I don't think I ever had a Vet that didn't give out something once in awhile.

There are usually treats, for the pets, in most vets offices, next time just ask him where you free treat is.......;) You spend enough money there, I'm sure, so you should get a little sometimes now and again.

Uniqueviking
11-01-2003, 02:35 AM
I think, I have the sweetest vet on Earth. Not only does she come to my place if my babies need a check-up or have something minor going on, but she's also given me free Hill's canned food and toys for the babies.

She's also treated some of the animals I've rescued for free (cockatiels, baraband parot) + she's always only charged for the medicine when treating my hamsters.

Yup, I have the bestest vet in the world :)

BastetsMum
11-01-2003, 04:33 AM
My vet is simply wonderful. He always gives Bastet free samples and didn't even mind losing his best trousers to her *embarrassed*. He only charges me for the medication to as he knows I don't earn al ot of money. He is definately on my christmas card list.

wolfsoul
11-01-2003, 06:36 PM
I always grab a few healthy samples for the rats. But I've never been given anything. The vet I went to for my rats last was great though. It would have been 60 dollars per rat, and he let me pay 15 all together!

NoahsMommy
11-01-2003, 11:50 PM
The only "free" things I got from a vet was a cat food topper (with their name on it) and a pill shooter. :)

When you spend that much money, I think they should always do something...especially it a follow-up visit is required. I think those should be free.

Catmandu...how many cats got dental treatments? That sounds really, really expensive.