PDA

View Full Version : Dog shot by police in owners backyard

ramanth
10-30-2003, 03:26 PM
This is infuriating! This dog was not running loose. He was in his own backyard and those police officers trespassed in that dog's eyes. And the woman wasn't even notified!? They just left the dog for her to find!? *FUMES*

What if the dogs ran up to them with a friendly reaction?

I feel so sorry for that woman. :(

Link to the story below.. (http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/417171.html)

Dog Killed
Wichita
Brooke Erickson

Officers responded to a house alarm on Bleckley Street and found something they weren’t looking for in the back yard.

Nicholette Boettjer loves her dogs as if they were children.

Boettjer says, “They’re like my kids, my babies.”

That’s why she was devastated on Monday morning when she found her dog laying dead, blood everywhere.

A Wichita police officer shot the dog, after he came out to check on a house alarm.

Police tell KAKE News they secured the house, as standard procedure, and then went to the backyard.

Capt. Gary Trabor says they shook the gate and fence and whistled.

Two dogs in the garage apparently didn’t hear the officer. They walked into the backyard, surprising him.

“You get two large animals coming at you, you use deadly force,” says Trabor.

Trabor says the officers fired four rounds, striking one dog and killing another.

But Boettjer doesn’t understand why they had to shoot them.

In situations like this, where it is only a false alarm, Trabor says if police know there are dogs present, they get the residents to come home. That way they don’t have to deal with the animals.

“We don’t like to kill dogs,” says Trabor.

Trabor says this is the first situation he knows of where an officer killed a dog in an owner’s backyard.

stacwase
10-30-2003, 03:35 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RICHARD
10-30-2003, 03:37 PM
WHAT TICKS ME OFF...

is the pic they use to make the dog look 'ferocious'...

If they were looking for a burglar, why did the nimrod whistle???

WHHHHEEEEEET!!! HEY, IT'S THE POLICE OUTSIDE, MR BURGLAR.

He may have seen signs that a dog lived there, but to walk in without finding out where the dog(s) was/were is really dumb.

I have yet to see a burglar charge a cop and bite him..

The city council, to dodge a lawsuit, will consider it 'proper use of force'

ramanth
10-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
WHAT TICKS ME OFF...

is the pic they use to make the dog look 'ferocious'...

Ohhh... I SO agree! http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/cwm/cwm/angryfire.gif

PayItForward
10-30-2003, 05:31 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

wolflady
10-30-2003, 06:32 PM
:mad: Stories like this make me so mad. It seems like stuff like this is happening all the time. A little trigger happy perhaps? Personally, if the dog was aggressive, it had every right to be, since someone was trespassing on it's property! If officers are so quick to shoot dogs, why can't they have tranquilizers or pepper spray instead? It just seems like this happens too often, and it shouldn't, especially on the property where an animal lives.

I was watching an episode of Emergency Vets, and there was a similar situation. Some woman's alarm went off, police responded, didn't find anything, went into the backyard where her sharpei advanced on them. They shot it a couple of times in the face! :mad: That seems like excessive use of force IMO. Luckily, the dog in that episode lived.

Dogz
10-30-2003, 07:36 PM
http://media.benedek.com/images/dog+attack.jpg
This is what ticks me off too. Oh and it is uploaded to the site as "dog+attack" Nice, very nice.:rolleyes:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GoldenRetrLuver
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There was NO REASON for them to shoot the dogs. Horrible.

popcornbird
10-30-2003, 10:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(

ramanth
10-31-2003, 08:24 AM
And I can't find anywhere where it is listed as what kind of dog it was. Notice they just call it 'the dog'....

Had it been a pitty, they'd have that smeared all over the article... he was probably a lab or some large breed like that.

DISGUSTING!

(Not that it would of been right either way.... it just shows how the media is... *fumes*)

lovemyshiba
10-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Looks like a rottie in the pic in the link you provided, but I just love how they show the "mean face":rolleyes:

This is absolutely disgusting.

I feel so sorry for that girl.

RIP sweet doggie.

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Soledad
10-31-2003, 09:09 AM
:(

momofcats
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
:mad:

The poor dog was protecting his yard from a trigger happy intruder...the cop.

cocker_luva
11-18-2003, 03:23 PM
police r stupid at times, and lazy. god, they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Foam
11-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I have something to say.

:mad: What in the world? Why the hell would anybody shoot a dog, on it's own property, while responding to a BURGLER call? Yeah right, the dogs stole her precious china vase. :rolleyes:
Every Thursday, our school police officer comes into our Helath class and talks to us about stuff. He was telling us about his weapons one day, and there's a fairly new one that every police officer is suppose to have. It's called a Taser. The Taser is a gun type thing, but it shoots a fish hook into the person, so they can't get away, and shocks them for five seconds. They can keep shocking whoever they have lured until they give up. WHY NOT USE THIS YOU MORONS??? :mad:
I agree with wolflady about the pepper spray too. Anything would have been better than killing an innocent dog. :mad: :rolleyes:

Rio and Me
11-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Most of these so called "acciedents" are very uncalled for, not needed and done through stupidity!!
I swear to god if that happened to my dog (Rio would bark and growl at a stranger in a black uniform coming into the garden or house!) i would do some damage to that person who killed her without care of the consiconsies (?sp) i fell that justice should be done!!! that cop should pay her compensation!! they have no right to kill a day unless it is acctually attacing them!!!
Ky and Rio