PDA

View Full Version : Best age for puppy to be spayed?

nanaberry
07-09-2001, 10:11 AM
I have a rottweiler/great dane mix. She is 12 weeks old and weighs 29lbs. She is 17 inches from the floor to her front shoulders.
The vet said he would like to spay her Augst 7th. She will be almost 4 months. He said it would be eaiser on her because of her size and he wants to remove her dew claws then too. A friend of mine lost her dog on the operating table while she was being spayed. This scares me. Can anyone give me their views on what I should do? Thanks :confused:

Tanya&Fritz
07-09-2001, 10:14 AM
As far as I know it's always 6 months. I know my vet won't do it before. I'd check around.

Rottie
07-09-2001, 10:23 AM
I would wait until the dog is at least 6 months. I know especially for male Rottweilers (and it's probably true for other large breeds), that if you want them to fill out completly then you have to wait until they fill out (at at least 2 or 3 years of age) and then get them neutered. But if yours is a female, then you probably shouldn't have to worry about that because they're never usually as big as the males. I would definatly wait until 6 months, but then again, I'm not a vet!

Karen
07-09-2001, 10:41 AM
My parents waited on their big female dogs (one Great Dane Mix included) until each had gone through her first heat, then had her spayed. Of course, during that heat, we kept VERY close watch - she was never outside without supervision, as we weren't taking any chances with wandering un-neutered strangers! Almost 4 months seems awfully early, I might call a second vet just to get a second opinion. Why remove her dew claws, by the way? Any particular reason?

And do, if you have one, post a picture - we'd love to see your big baby! :)

nanaberry
07-09-2001, 11:11 AM
The reason for having the dew claws removed is the vet said it would be better because of her size she may get them hung on the furniture and tear then off.
I don't know how to put pictures here yet but here is a link of some I just took a few minutes ago. Her name is Bailey and she is a spoiled but adorable baby. http://community.webshots.com/user/nana2jess1

Pam
07-09-2001, 12:25 PM
What a precious little face! My standard poodle, Bella, turned 6 months on July 3rd. She has her spaying appointment on July 27th. Our vet said 6 months is the usual age for spaying. He said they can have their first heat anywhere from 6 mos. to 1 yr. so he prefers to do it at 6 mos. and hopefully avoid that first heat. I agree, that 4 months seems a little young.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-09-2001, 02:16 PM
Nanaberry, welcome to Pet Talk and I would agree with the rest that six months would be good, unless there is a specific reason your Vet said earlier.
Bailey is just adorable, I love the little white spot on her. If you ask I'm sure someone on this post can tell you how to post the pictures from the webshot album, they are better at telling you how to do it then I am.
I loved her photos. :)
by the way our dogs all had their dew claws removed for the same reason. We have two Schnauzers.
Jackie

petspoil
07-09-2001, 02:31 PM
I agree that the best age to have a dog spayed is at 6 months. My puppies did not have their dew claws removed is because I forgot to ask the vet to do them when I took the pups in to have their tails docked.

mruffruff
07-09-2001, 02:33 PM
Many shelters spay and neuter as early as 6 weeks. The rescue/shelter Where I volunteer waits until they are 4 months old. Most vets agree that between 4 & 6 months is best.

Do NOT wait until she has had a heat. A dog does not need to go through a heat period. It is easier on the dog to have it done early. Keeping a female away from all males during a heat is extremely difficult. Males have been known to break windows to get to their lady love. And a quick trip outside to potty has been known to turn very young dogs into mothers.

A young, healthy dog will be less active for a couple of days after surgery. As long as the stitches aren't licked out, the recovery time is minimal. Older dogs take a couple of days longer.

It's a good thing for both you and your dog to do it early. :D

Daisy's Mom
07-09-2001, 04:36 PM
Bailey is adorable! I love the white spot on her nose and those dainty white paws :) Daisy's vet won't spay a dog until he/she is six months, and we did that with Daisy and it worked out fine, she never went into heat. However I have heard that you can spay them as early as six weeks. There is an animal shelter near me that spays every animal that comes to them, no matter the age. This is what they have to say on the subject:

What do the Humane Society of the United States, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Kennel Club, the Cat Fanciers Association, the American Humane Association, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, many state and local veterinary associations and an increasing number of local animal shelters have in common?

Each of these groups endorses the concept of early age spaying and neutering to stem the overpopulation of cats and dogs.

Early age spay and neuter is the surgical sterilization of companion animals prior to the conventional age of 6 months. For an increasing number of shelters it can mean 100% sterilization compliance rates, fewer returned animals, and improved staff morale.

While it may seem that interest in early spay/neuter is a recent phenomenon, it has not only been talked about, but it has been practiced for over 25 years in North America. Early age altering refers to spays and neuters done between the age of 6 and 14 weeks. Altering pets between 5 and 7 months of age was established by tradition rather than for any specific medical reason. Years ago, when safe pediatric anesthetic techniques were not available, waiting until a patient was older increased the safety of surgery. But we no longer need to delay altering for this reason.

People working to decrease the problem of surplus dogs and cats in the United States pioneered the idea of early altering. While surgical sterilization remains the most effective means of population control, delaying the surgery long enough for sexual maturity to occur defeats the purpose. Animal shelters advocate mandatory altering, buy many adopted animals either are never altered or have at least one litter first.

Over the years, the safety of early altering has been questioned, mainly by veterinarians who may be unfamiliar with the surgical and anesthetic techniques required for pediatric patients. As well, there were concerns that early altering could increase the incidence of feline lower urinary tract disease, could affect skeletal development, and affect behavior.

These concerns have largely been laid to rest by many studies, and early altering is becoming more widespread and available. A study recently published by researchers at the University of Florida found no significant differences in the physical and behavioral characteristics of cats altered at 7 weeks of age compared to those altered at 7 months of age.

Very important work has been done by Dr Michael Aronsohn and Alicia Faggella at the Massachusetts SPCA on the anesthetic and surgical techniques for early altering of dogs and cats. In 1993, two papers were published outlining their work on the early altering of hundreds of kittens between the age of 6 and 14 weeks. They evaluated several anesthetic protocols and made recommendations for safe handling and anesthesia in patients of this age. Some small changes to surgical techniques are necessary for patients in this age group. As well, these young patients must be handled a bit differently both before, during, and after surgery. The changes in surgical protocol are simple and easy to carry out, and the experience of these veterinarians with early altering is overwhelmingly positive.

Early altering is a safe and effective means of ensuring our shelter does not unwittingly add to the burden of unwanted pets. The Animal Shelter Inc. is proud of their 100% compliance rate and has spayed/neutered over 2500+ animals in two years.

Sorry that's so long! I hope it helps :)

Rottie
07-10-2001, 12:15 PM
Bailey is so cute! He's only 4 months! Wow he's huge!!! :eek: I love this picture of him.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/Wa/ze/ce/1K81761.jpg
He looks like he's about to burp! :D

nanaberry
07-10-2001, 12:52 PM
Bailey is huge she is only 3 months and we weighed her this morning and she weighed 36 lbs!
I just came in from getting groceries and her ball was behind the stereo so she moved it to try to get her ball is my guess. Opened the front door and my stereo is in the middle of the room!
I'm glad it was on wheels or we may have had a real mess. I grew up in a family that loved small dogs. So trying to train Bailey is quite new to me. It's nothing at all like having a puppy that will only weigh 8 to 12 lbs as an adult.
This is great to have others that I can get advise from.
I thought we had puppy proofed the house but I guess we need to tie down the furniture!
I asked my husband the other day where would he put things when Bailey could stand and get them off the fridge. ;)

ilovehounds
07-10-2001, 02:04 PM
All I can remember my vet saying was that it was best to spay a female BEFORE her first heat. He said that it stops the risk of cancer when the dog gets older.

KYS
07-10-2001, 06:00 PM
That question is actually up for debate
among the Vet medical field, as Early spay and neutering is getting more and more popular these days.
My personal Vets likes to spay/neuter
at 6 months (with females before their
first heat, unless they have
a female problem)
My male was spayed at 5 1/2 months because
his hormons were kicking in and he was
becoming a major butt head.
If you trust your vet, listen to him,
and discuss any concerns you might have. There is also Information
on Early Spaying on the net.

:)

ownerof3dogs
07-10-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Karen:
<STRONG>My parents waited on their big female dogs (one Great Dane Mix included) until each had gone through her first heat, then had her spayed. Of course, during that heat, we kept VERY close watch - she was never outside without supervision, as we weren't taking any chances with wandering un-neutered strangers! Almost 4 months seems awfully early, I might call a second vet just to get a second opinion. Why remove her dew claws, by the way? Any particular reason?

And do, if you have one, post a picture - we'd love to see your big baby! :)</STRONG>

I don't know if you would want to wait that long beause when they go through there first heat they are more likely to get cancer. most likely Breast cancer. I think a good time would be around 4-6 months because they heal faster.

nanaberry
07-26-2001, 01:22 PM
I talked to the vet and he said it would be alot easier on Bailey if she was spayed as planned. I was at his office yesterday and Bailey has grown an inch since her last visit July 13th and weighs 34.5 lbs on the vets scale.She weighed 29 lbs on June 30. He said she is doing great! I'm so happy. I was a little worried about having such a big puppy and if I could take care of her properly but she is a jewel and already one of my husbands and my "kids". Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. :D

Daisy's Mom
07-27-2001, 12:14 AM
Glad you got it all figured out! Good luck to Bailey! She is adorable :)

Pam
07-27-2001, 06:20 AM
Well today is Bella's big day. She will be heading out to the white coats in about 45 minutes. She gots lots of lovin' from her daddy already this morning. Hope it makes up for not being able to have breakfast today or a treat last night. :) When my little sweetie comes home she will have "the zipper" as Phred calls it. We'll keep you all posted!

Sudilar
07-27-2001, 10:45 AM
We're thinking about you. Good luck!!

Logan
07-27-2001, 01:13 PM
Just to add to the confusion....

My vet told me that if I wasn't planning to breed my females to do it prior to their first heat too. He did it at 5 months. That was the minimum age for a female. I don't know about males, but I have heard 6 months for them. My mom just had her little Boston Terrier, Mr. Darcy, "fixed", and he is probably closer to 8 months old.

Good luck, Bailey. And good luck to Bella too!!!

Logan

AdoreMyDogs
07-27-2001, 01:48 PM
Gosh I don't know if we can wait until my mom's little shih tzu, Ritz gets to be 6 months old! He began humping his stuffies at 6 weeks old!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: we want his little manhood removed ASAP!!! :o