PDA

View Full Version : Loyal Breeds

petlover
10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Name the 5 loyalist breeds that you know of. I'll start.

1. sheltie
2. rough haired collie
3. golden retriever
4. lab
5. red setter:cool:

Samantha Puppy
10-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Umm, all of them.

binka_nugget
10-30-2003, 09:57 AM
I've only owned shelties...sooo..shelties it is!

stacwase
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Of the dogs I've had in my life:

1. Shepherd mix (way loyal!) - stays by my side 24/7
2. Sheltie (heroic!) - doesn't stay by me but alerts me to danger
3. Poodle mix - loyal? Well - she was really friendly anyway!

lv4dogs
10-30-2003, 11:23 AM
I am naming the 5 breeds that I believe are most loyal (weather I have owned them or not does matter just from learning: hearing/reading/seeing &/or owned). Not really in any certain order either:

These 5 I think will be more loyal to one person:
1. Mutts.. of course,
BUT if ya want purebreds then:
1. Akita
2. Chow Chow
3. German Shepherd
4. Rottweiller
5. Boston Terrier

These 5 I think are most loyal to the whole family:
1. Mutts once again,
BUT if you want purebreds then these 5:
1. Great Dane
2. Lab
3. Golden Ret.
4. Rottweiller
5. Border Collie

Boy that was hard to decide as almost any breed can be very loyal, just depends on the individual dog & it's temperment & training & how good of a bond you have with your dog. I would love to add more to each list but thats just an idea.

lovemyshiba
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
From personal experience, I would have to go with Labradors and Rottweilers--Jada is loyal to a fault!!
Abbey is a beagle mix and is very loyal as well.

As far as the little shiba inu is concerned, he is loyal to himself.:)

cali
10-30-2003, 12:21 PM
my experience
1) border collies
2) jack russles
3) shelties
4) pyrsheps
5) bosten terriers

Albea
10-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Is there such a thing as a dog who is not loyal?
If there is, I have yet to find one...

isis
10-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Albea

Agreed.

Every dog is loyal to me.

KYS
10-30-2003, 05:16 PM
posted by lovemyshiba: As far as the little shiba inu is concerned, he is loyal to himself.:) >>>>>

LOLOL! Emily you had me laughing so hard. :D

If I would guess that the
hearding breeds would be more loyal like the GSD.
Just a thought.

(I know it is not my terrier or my Akita's that are the
most loyal dogs I have owned.) hehehe

Amber
10-30-2003, 06:22 PM
schnauzers!:)

Kfamr
10-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Uhh.... I don't think loyalness comes within the breed. :rolleyes:

I think it all comes in how you socialize, train and treat the dog.
How much the dog trusts you, and how much you trust the dog.

Amber
10-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Uhh.... I don't think loyalness comes within the breed. :rolleyes:

I think it all comes in how you socialize, train and treat the dog.
How much the dog trusts you, and how much you trust the dog. I agree:)

Moose
10-30-2003, 06:54 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I'd have to agree with Kay here. ;)

I don't think loyalty is defined to any one breed, and I don't think a single dog has it as a set standard. Every breed is loyal to some degree, some just might be more affectionate than others.....which obviously makes their "loyalty" easier to notice. Ask any dog owner you know, I can guarantee you that they would tell you in a second that their dog is loyal.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-30-2003, 07:01 PM
I agree with everyone else. ANY breed can be loyal.
But....since you asked, I have the two most loyalist breeds. ;)
A Golden Retriever and a Collie.

Dogz
10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
No such thing as a most loyal breed in "My Big Dictionary." Any dog can be loyal if you are loyal to them.

Pam
10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Albea

My thoughts too. :)

Uabassoon
10-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Any dog can be loyal if you are loyal to them.

I'm not sure that I totally belive that. My friend Leslie has a weimeraner and she takes that dog everywhere with her and loves it more than anything. Her dog Oliver loves her too and is very happy with her, but even she has commented on how easy it would be for someone to steal him because he would happily just jump in a car with a stranger and be totally happy forever. I'm not saying that he's a bad dog or anything or that he doesn't love his owner. He just has a mind of his own and could really be happy with just about anyone. But Missy is the exact opposite, if we go to the park she always has to be right next to me. She wouldn't walk away with anyone. She is very loyal to me and her other owner Bev.

gkristian
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Sheltie.

Fox-Gal
10-30-2003, 11:16 PM
Ummm Boxers ...how could we forgot about them.

and any dog resuced from a shelter or bad home.

Twisterdog
10-30-2003, 11:20 PM
There are loyal dogs in any breed.

I agree with Kfamr.

zanzanfergie
10-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I'm not sure that I totally belive that. My friend Leslie has a weimeraner and she takes that dog everywhere with her and loves it more than anything. Her dog Oliver loves her too and is very happy with her, but even she has commented on how easy it would be for someone to steal him because he would happily just jump in a car with a stranger and be totally happy forever. I'm not saying that he's a bad dog or anything or that he doesn't love his owner. He just has a mind of his own and could really be happy with just about anyone. But Missy is the exact opposite, if we go to the park she always has to be right next to me. She wouldn't walk away with anyone. She is very loyal to me and her other owner Bev.
Have to agree. There was a lovely phrase I read in a book once, about living with dogs, saying that some dogs you have a "heart connection" with. There are some dogs you can connect with in your mind and your heart, and I think those are the most loyal dogs. They understand what you feel, and love you more than anything, and are loyal to you until their dying breathe. They may be somewhat akin to the idea of "soulmates" which not every believes in, but I choose to believe in both. :)

I love Lucy (and I'm sure she doesn't mind me) but I am not her main focus in life, nor are her owners. She will happily go with either of us and not spare a thought, so far as well can tell, for the one she is leaving behind. She is still a lovely, loving dog but I don't feel like I have a "heart connection" with her, or that she would ever be completely loyal to me. She is a Golden Retriever, as is mentioned on a couple of lists in this thread.

KYS
10-31-2003, 05:39 AM
posted by zanzanfergie: I love Lucy (and I'm sure she doesn't mind me) but I am not her main focus in life, nor are her owners.>>>>>

I know Rocky and Pepper love us very much,

Less loyal?
But if their is a squirrel around, they will both chose
a squirrel over us. lol
If we go on vacation without the dogs, all the dogs will mope,
but they can survive with-out us and still enjoy
play time with the family.

More loyal?
I had a GSD/AKita mix, and when I went on vacation
my Aunt said all she would do is mope, lay down by
the door and whine.
My Aunt/Uncle had a GSD and when they would go on vacation
she would mope and refuse to eat till they returned.

Sudilar
10-31-2003, 07:14 AM
I agree that any breed can be loyal.

In my experience, my GSDs were/are very loyal. I especially find that my two rescues are extremely loyal and grateful.

The Great Pyrenees, as a breed, are very loyal dogs. It is their job to be guardian (and they are very good at it). They sometimes take to their "job" too well by being known as barkers (to alert and warn away).

Dogz
10-31-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Good point.:) I have to agree with that too, so I will rephrase myself.
Dogs can be loyal if you are loyal to them, and what I meant by this, is that the dog will love you if you love him/her back and don't mistreat the dog.:)

pitc9
10-31-2003, 07:28 AM
German Shepherd Dogs!!!!

(I've only had GSD Mixes and GSD);)

But I still think there the best!!:D

amoore
10-31-2003, 08:14 AM
i own a schnauzer and a chihuahua , i think they are both loyal breeds of dogs . i had a sheltie that was a sweet and loyal dog . i think once you have bonded with any dog ,they become loyal to you . :)

RobiLee
10-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

As far as the little shiba inu is concerned, he is loyal to himself.:)

This is so funny! I'm sitting here giggling away!

Sometimes I think my Katie is this way. Its all about her!!...lol

I don't think I could pick a breed that is the most loyal. I do know that my mixed breed, Chloe, was extremely loyal. I still miss her so much.

Robin :)

Dawn
10-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Loyal?
Well, Lets define loyal.
Tyr is definitely My dog, and he would be real upset if his momma went away, and he is sitting by the window every day when I come home from work.
Loyal though, is not a term I would use to describe him. See Tyr doesn't think he's mine, he thinks I'm his!! :D

amoore
10-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Now that i have gave it some thought , i guess my pets and i are loyal to each other . That is special bonding .:)

trayi52
10-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Kfamr, you are so right, I think its how you treat a dog. I have always had Chihuahuas, Rottweilers, and Dobermans, and they all seemed loyal. We put our hearts and souls into these dogs, and seem to shape their personalities with our own, don't you think so? It is how you treat them, if you treat them with love and loyalty yourself, then thats what you get in return.
By the way I seen one of yours made Pet of the day. Congratulations to you and your special friend.
:)

Spiritwind
10-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Rough and Smooth Coated Collies!!!

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310286873334998215802.jpg

Ben

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310281244133909076383.jpg

Angie

RobiLee
10-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi Spiritwind!

Are those your collies? They are beautiful!!

Spiritwind
10-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi Robin,

yes, those are two of my Collies (I have 7!) I just joined this group tonight, but I was looking thru old posts and see that Shelteez2 (someone I have talked to online for a few years now) posted a picture of Angie on the the Collies vs. Shelties thread.

The Smooth Collie is my 2 1/2 yr old blue boy Ben - Mjr. Ptd. Apple Valley Shades of Blue, CGC.

The rough Collie is Angie, my 3 yr old blue girl - Tomelle's Painted Angel, OFA-Excellent, thyriod-normal, heart-clear.

I also have 3 puppies out of Angie, sired by a rough tri CH I co-own named Bart. The pups are about 5 1/2 months old..... then I have a 9yr old male tri, my first collie.

You can see more pics of my dogs on my website -

Spiritwind Collies website (http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/spiritwind)

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20038203579628617398533.jpg

Angie x Bart babie at 12 wks old. My blue female named Kira - Spiritwind Celtic Kiss.

Of the 7 Collies I own/co-own, 5 are blue merles and 2 are tri-colors. Gotta LOVE the blues!!!

Janna

RobiLee
10-31-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm already at the website, Janna (Spiritwind). Absolutely stunning!!

Welcome to Pet Talk! My name is Robin and I have a 7 month old Akita named Katie. I'm glad that you joined us and hope that you post many more pics!

Spiritwind
10-31-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks Robin,

My dogs are my babies and I love to show them off. I update my website with new pics as often as I can......

I just posted pics of my dogs on the Collie vs. Sheltie thread, so you can check them out there, but since you went to my website, You can see the same pics there.

Your Akita pup sounds nice. They are such a neat breed!! A friend of mine used to have one, very cool dogs!!

Janna