PDA

View Full Version : Poor, plump babies :(

Logan
10-29-2003, 12:58 PM
What do you do??? I get so upset to hear the first words out of people's mouths "they are fat". I would never say something like that to anyone else about their dogs!!!

But this is what poor Lilly endures, and the others, when my family sees them. We work diligently to keep their weight down. I know Lilly weighs too much. Heck, I weigh too much too!! But how do you say to people that you love, and you know that mean well, "shut up about the weight, will you??". The worst is my own parents, which led me to this post in the first place....how do I ask them politely to stop saying this? Or do I just ignore them???

Samantha Puppy
10-29-2003, 01:26 PM
I would politely say that you're both working on it. If they keep it up, bring up a fault of theirs.

anna_66
10-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Oh Logan, I don't know how anyone could say that about your sweet Lilly:(
I've had this happen with Angus before (even since he's lost his 10 extra pounds ).
I honestly don't even know what to say to them, but it does hurt me. I wish people would think before they speak:rolleyes:

micki76
10-29-2003, 01:55 PM
I would explain it just like you did. Say that you know she's overweight and you're working on it, and could they please stop bringing it to your attention. Tell them that you'd like her to lose a little weight, but if she doesn't then she doesn't. You still love her with all your heart no matter what and that it hurts your feelings when they say things about it. Play it off that it makes you feel like your not doing something right, maybe. You know, try the old guilt trip. ;)

pitc9
10-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I get the opposite!
I get people saying to me
"Are your dogs sick?? There so skinny!!"

(they both have a fast metabolism and are underweight)

People really do need to think before they speak!

tomkatzid
10-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Our little nina is a stocky girl, and when her hair grows out she looks overweight, her head is a bit small for her body, and I have had people say cruel things about her, it makes me mad, it is none of their business. We don't overfeed her, and we feed her good food and I excercise them daily. Just like people are all different body types so are dogs. Ashlee is really skinny, and I have had people comment that she is underfed etc. Stupid thoughtless fools:rolleyes: ......tom

tatsxxx11
10-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Oh, Logan:( Don't you hate when people speak rudely about your "kids??" :( I'm sure your parents mean well, but one gentle remark is enough. I'm sure they know you know she might need to lose a little weight. If they continue to bring this up, I'd just politely tell them that you're aware of this, are addressing it and would appreciate it if they would drop the topic. And I wouldn't hesitate to tell them either that at a certain point it becomes hurtful!! Give Lilly an extra hug for me, please!:)

Logan
10-29-2003, 03:16 PM
I do tell them that we're working on it, I promise, but we have experienced a lot of up and down with Lilly. The others, according to our vet, are NOT overweight, just healthy, and well within their ranges. I guess the hardest part is telling my own mom that she needs to "stop it". I don't tell her that her dogs are too big, too small.......I wish she would follow the same rules. I will probably say something over Thanksgiving. I know that they would never purposely hurt my feelings, they're just speaking their minds too much!!! :eek:

Sandra, Lilly has many extra hugs, just for you. She appreciates it. :)

Logan

lovemyshiba
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
I have no other advice than everyone else has already given you. Besides saying that you are working on it, you feed her good food and don't overfeed, and get her plenty of exercise, what more can you do?? None of that lessens the pain though:(

My neighbor said Abbey was getting fat--I told her that we had worked hard to trim her down after last winter, and that I didn't appreciate such comments. That was different though, it wasn't a family member. My sister said Abbey was fat once too, but I told her to look in the mirror:p

Lilly is so beautiful, and any extra weight is just more of her to love!!!

Cincy'sMom
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
All I can add, is that I TOTALLY understand!!

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that Cincy "Sure eats well", "doesn't look like she's missed any meals" or "must steal her sister's food".
Yes, she gets plenty of exercise, yes, she gets small meals (1/2 what either Spot or Sadie get and a reduced cal food at that!) I just think some dogs or going to be that way, so matter what you try. Doesn't make it any easier to hear over and over aginthat your dog is fat :)

stacwase
10-29-2003, 06:48 PM
I used to get the same thing with my son!!!! People would come up to me in the grocery store and scold me - "That baby is too fat!" Once, right after somebody said that, somebody else came up to me and said "Oh - isn't he cute! He looks just like you!"

Just remember these people are inconsiderate - you would never behave that way. By the way - my son is now tall and handsome and fit. Chubby babies do not necessarily lead to chubby adults!

Rachel
10-30-2003, 07:17 AM
The next time a comment like that is made, how about saying something to the effect....*Yes, I know, she really needs more exercise. Would you be so kind as to take her for a long walk for me?*

Uabassoon
10-30-2003, 06:06 PM
I know exactly what you mean, the other day I was at the park with Missy and I saw a friend there and she said "oh that's Missy, I didn't recognize her because she's gotten fat." I got really upset, she might be a few pounds overweight but she's not huge. Plus during the summer it's too hot to take Missy out, I'm not going to take her outside running or walking when it's 112 degrees outside and at night it's just not safe to go walking around outside. Most people and pets in Az gain weight in the summer because it's just too hot to do anything, even swimming isn't fun because it's so hot out. So I told her that yeah Missy had gained a few pounds but she'd loose it quickly now that the weather is cooler. But I was so upset that she said that.

carole
10-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I think I would kinda let it ride over me, my Ash is a big boy, but it does not bother me if anyone comments, I usually laugh and say yeah I know he is a big boy isn't he?

I Think I would feel worse is someone said" my your cat is skinny," then I would feel they think I am neglecting him or starving him. so don't worry your babies are perfect in your eyes and that is all that matters.

LoudLou
10-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. Poor Lilly AND Poor you. I used to get this a lot from my own mother, however it was MY weight she kept referring to and not LOUD Lou's! It used to frustrate me beyond belief, then I gave her these lyrics from Mark Wills, "Don't Laugh At Me" ....
I'm fat, I'm thin, I'm short, I'm tall
I'm deaf, I'm blind, hey, aren't we all

Don't laugh at me
Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don't laugh at me

.... I have NEVER had my mother bring the issue up again.:D

captain
10-30-2003, 07:18 PM
My little Ruby is lovingly called "tubby" by me!!! Because she has been spayed and is "spreading out" abit. She is a cuddle bunny .... and I need her "extra" pounds to keep me warm!!!

Captain - typical male, eats everything and stays slim :)

BUT they both go on the same walks, and runs ..... eat the same amounts of food ......... I think if anyone else called my dogs "plump" I would "plump" them on the head!
As for me ....... my wrath on ANYONE who refers to me as fat ...... I am short for my height, and women NEED curves!

lizbud
10-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Logan,

I don't know about your relationship with your Mom, but if
these comments hurt your feelings (they would mine), I would
certainly have a heart to heart with her & explain how you feel
when she, or others say thoughtless things about Lilly's weight.
If she can "speak her mind" why can't you? I sometimes felt like
a little kid again when I would try to explain my feeling to my
Mother, but she loved me as I'm sure your Mom loves you, and she did understand. Tell her how this makes you feel.:)

shais_mom
10-31-2003, 12:14 AM
I have the same problem Logan. (can you say GOLDEN??!) :rolleyes:
One time I was in the pet store and the cashier asked Keegan if she wanted a treat. Then said "Altho it looks like you eat to many tho!!" I was slightly offended tho it was pretty fitting when Keegan sniffed the treat then blatantly turned her head away from it. Good thing this girl doesn't work at McDonalds!!! Can you imagine? "I would like a Big Mac meal" and she says " UMMM It looks like you have had too many of those!!!" :eek: :eek:
My grandma always says to Keegan 'you aren't losing any weight' and I am thinking it wouldn't have anything to do with those 4 Peanut butter (people) cookies you just slipped her now would it!!!
Course Keegan has hypothyroidism so that is part of her problem. And I have cut her food back drastically and she exercises everyday. It is slow going.
People don't realize how hurtful they can be. :(

captain
11-05-2003, 07:16 PM
shais_mom and Logan,

Can I just say, that from where I am sitting, Captain says those gorgeous GOLDENS do not look "plump" to him. He says

"Hmmmmm, they look mighty FINE to me, Mum"
:D

GoldenRetrLuver
11-05-2003, 07:34 PM
I guess Daisy isn't your typical Golden Retriever lol. She's not skinny, and she's not fat. She doesn't eat or beg for food ALL the time, like some goldens I've been around. She just eats when she's hungry. ;)
Molly on the otherhand, gets comments like, "Are you feeding her, she's so skinny!" She's big for a female already, 70 pounds. But I'm trying to fatten her up.

Rio and Me
11-06-2003, 04:07 AM
I hate it when Non doggie people say that Rio its skinny!!!
Shes far from skinny if you know dogs, its her hair on her back that runs wavey along the spine!!!
but i know she not and thats all that matters (shes perfect in my eyes)lol
Ky and rio

dukedogsmom
11-06-2003, 06:57 AM
I now know how you feel. When I was at the barn the other day, a woman made a comment telling her that Duke was getting fat. If I had thought about it, I would have told her I didn't care as long as he was healthy. He almost died back in April and I've had to change his diet a lot. There's no reason to make cruel comments like that.

anna_66
11-06-2003, 07:20 AM
I tell you, I'm getting so tired of people saying
"Is your husky a pup? She's so small? Now come on people...how big do you want her to be? She's not a malamute, she's a husky & she's in the husky margines for a female (40-60 lbs), she weights around 52 lbs. What more do they want? I think that's just as bad as telling you your dog is overweight:rolleyes:

shais_mom
11-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
I tell you, I'm getting so tired of people saying
"Is your husky a pup? She's so small? Now come on people...how big do you want her to be? She's not a malamute, she's a husky & she's in the husky margines for a female (40-60 lbs), she weights around 52 lbs. What more do they want? I think that's just as bad as telling you your dog is overweight:rolleyes:
I must admit Anna, that I am sure I am guilty of this also.
When I first saw Roxy I remember I kept saying "she is so skinny''!!!!! :( Course now that I have seen her several times. I just think she looks like Roxy!! :)

Logan
11-06-2003, 01:49 PM
We're just accustomed to those "pleasingly plump" Golden girls, Staci!!!! :)