PDA

View Full Version : Moose The Crestfallen!

catmandu
10-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Moose had a dry skin problem , and the Vet had to shve hinm , from his sholders to the tail! And Poor Moose go laughed at by the people in the waiting room. And he has to lose weight , as he is 9 pounds overweight , and his Blood Sugar is 20.But so far he does not care for the food that they sent home with him. Any ideas! Please!

Logan
10-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Awwwwwww, sweet Moose, I would not laugh at you. :( I wish I had some suggestions, but I don't. Hugs and kisses to Moose. I hope you'll be better soon, sweetheart. :)

sqwelch
10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Poor moose and BAD people for laughing at him !!!
Sorry no suggestions about food, not much of an expert on that I'm afraid !!

Edwina's Secretary
10-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Moose, they weren't laughing AT you, they were laughing WITH you. As for diets....I assure you if I knew how to do that......

Your Friend,

Edwina

Barbara
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Poor Moose I hope your skin gets better soon.
As for diets -I hope the multiple cat households can help you because anyway you must make sure Moose cannot eat the other kitties' kibbles:(

All the best!

Cataholic
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Poor Moose. Too bad all the people laughing didn't recognize the beauty from the inside~ My suggestion is to put down the 'set' amount of food, and increase his activity level, by playing with him 2 times a day for five minutes at a time!

Good luck, Moose!!

Russian Blue
10-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Did the vet diagnose why Moose had the dry skin? Was it an allergic reaction to the food? Or something else?

One thing you might want to consider is to increase the essential fatty acids (EFA) in the diet. Many people give fish oil supplements to the pets who suffer dull coat and skin problems with great success. You may want to talk to your vet about adding such a supplement to his diet.

Here's more info on EFA's:

http://www.fatsforhealth.com/introduction/efa_pets.php

For Moose's overweight problem, you may want to start feeding him separately from the others. Establish a specific time, as an example, half the meal in the morning and half in the evening. You may also want to switch him over to a wet diet food rather than dry. I have heard many cats who will not eat the dry diet food will eat the wet version.

RICHARD
10-29-2003, 01:11 PM
avoderm!!

ask the doc about avoderm.

It's an avocado based food that works wonders....

My dog had skin problems from fleas and scratching-I bought some and sure enough!!!!

nice skin and coat!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Oh poor Moose! Don't they understand that you are Moose the Magnificent and you need those extra pounds to prove it? ;) :D

When I started Tubby on Science Diet Lite, he didn't exactly loose weight, but he didn't gain anymore either.

jenluckenbach
10-29-2003, 02:23 PM
in the grooming biz I see a lot of cats that have the combination dry, flaky, matted skin/fur AND over weight. I truly believe that unless the problem is otherwise medical, a simple shedding of pounds will help the skin to clear up (I've seen it happen)
What type of food was he put on? If he is not overly fond of it that may help him to eat less (as long as he doesn't completely refuse to eat). I would not give up on the food too quickly, I am sure when he is hungry enough he will find that it is not so bad.
I am sorry that they laughed at you Moose.
:(

BastetsMum
10-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Bastet had to go on new food at the beginning of the year and she refused to eat it. The vet suggested sardine juice (only from sardines in spring water mind you) it contains very little fat and she wolfed it down. Now she loves her new food and I don't have to put sardine juice on it anymore. BTW if given in small doses (once or twice a week) sardineds are fantastic for kitty's skins and coats and also if they have poop problems.

catmandu
10-30-2003, 09:30 AM
the nice thing about Moose The Mortified is that the other Cats have rallied around the Big Fellow! Isaw BoBo , and Precious licking his back , to help the sores heal , and to make him feel better. And it works as Moose will soon feel Magnificent once more!

jenluckenbach
10-30-2003, 04:04 PM
How sweet.:)