PDA

View Full Version : Blindness in dogs

Margrete
12-06-2000, 09:36 PM
I was so touched by the photo of Jake on 12/3. Our Miniature Schnauzer lost her sight about 6 months after being diagnosed with diabetes. She was a real trooper and did okay but we had a hard time watching her bang into things etc. so opted for her to have cataract surgery just after her tenth birthday. It was expensive - especially here in Silicon Valley, CA - but the money we spent made us and Daisy so much happier than new rugs or something else would have. We just lost her this summer at the age of 12 but the last two years of her life were joyous and fun. It is an individual decision of course - just wanted to let dog lovers know it is available - we didn't have a clue until she woke up with an eye that was really painful and took her to the Vet.

ktreva52
12-07-2000, 12:36 AM
Welcome, Margrete, good first posting. I think you guys did the right thing to have the cataracts removed. I know that made her much happier. Odd thing about this, I just did an "Answer Point" answer about cataracts and suggested the site: www.animaleyecenter.com (http://www.animaleyecenter.com) . There's lots of interesting information about cataracts and other eye problems there.
My family recently had to put down our twelve year old dog and today would have been her 13th birthday. She contracted lymphoma, and it went wild just after diagnosis. She was our first family dog and was such a special pet. She was funny, protective, intelligent and snuggly. We all learned a lot from her and I try to keep on the happier times with her so I don't cry a lot. We had a lot of really good years with Lacey and I know you will always remember your Daisy with lots of love.

Margrete
12-07-2000, 09:54 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss - the only thing that ever heals is time - but our new puppy Molly sure is helping us do that as well. She is another Miniature Schnauzer (our fifth one in a row now so I guess we are hooked!) - but she is a joy. I know this may sound nuts but I had a long "talk" mentally with Daisy as we were making the two hour plus drive to look at Molly as to whether we were doing the right thing and asked her to help me know this was the right puppy. When we got there we looked into a child's playpen containing five puppies - all adorable and only 7 weeks old. Without hesitation I reached down and picked up Molly - and then the owners let them all out to run around and play - but Molly (she just turned 6 months old) kept coming back to me. I hope that you also find a new baby to share your love with. Once you have had a dog you love life seems so empty without one.

ktreva52
12-07-2000, 10:31 PM
Thank you for your condolences. I still have my JRT mix and two cats and they have been a help, but Trev was my "heart". She was a birthday gift and I feel so stupid (in retrospect) not to have taken her to the vet as soon as I knew she'd eaten the stuff. BUT, I had no idea what it would do to her and she was just so happy, bouncy until the night before she died and even then, not so bad seeming. A hard lesson to learn, but I'll never use D-con, even on the rodents, again. I'm sort of on the search for another JRT bitch puppy to show in AKC. I have something specific in mind (HA!! That's what I said the last time and ended up with a totally different looking dog -- who was a sweetheart!). I didn't used to pick out names before I got the animal, thinking they would let me "know" their names, but I did with Trev and have with the next one. Her name will be Elyssium and I'll call her Lys (lease). There may be more to her registered name, but that's the current plan.

I'm glad you found another bundle of love to share your lives with. There's nothing like a puppy to begin to ease your heart and remind you of the good times with your Rainbow Bridge buddy. Keep us up to date on Molly's progress and new tricks. This is like sharing baby pictures, isn't it?

RachelJ
12-07-2000, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ktreva52:
[B]My family recently had to put down our twelve year old dog and today would have been her 13th birthday. She was funny, protective, intelligent and snuggly. We all learned a lot from her and I try to keep on the happier times with her so I don't cry a lot. WB]

This had to be a hard day for you. I know exactly of what you speak. It does get a little better with time. It's been five years since our Bailey left us and two for Tizzie. Sometimes I write them a message in the snow.

ktreva52
12-09-2000, 11:21 PM
What a neat idea to write them messages in the snow. I'll have to do that for Trev when it snows worth something here. We've had one small one so far this winter (we're in TN). I can see her grave from the kitchen window and I "talk" to her occasionally. I can hardly wait to see the crocus bloom that I planted over her even though that will mean she's been gone a while.

As for Lacey (the 12 year-old), my eldest daughter had to make the decision and take care of it by herself and I don't even know if she's buried the ashes yet. She's in IN and we haven't talked about it much lately. Guess I'll have to email her. No matter how much you "prepare", it just isn't easy to get over the loss, (sigh) it will take some time. Guess that's why we get puppies -- to remind us of the good times and to remember the love.... Well, this is getting maudlin. I visited the Petloss site earlier and will go back sometime when I am less sensitive to the stories. Thanks for your condolences, again and know that my heart feels for your losses as well.